The NOTORIOUS "cheat"

Options
Ok friends and others on this path to achieve a healthy body and feel good mindset, I need every single one of your opinions or suggestions..

How do you all feel about reward meals? One MEAL a week as a reward for all your hard work all week. No rules except that you only get it if you didn't slip up for a full 6.75 days.

I've heard about cheat days and cheat meals but I think a day is way too much and calling it a "cheat" anything leaves a bad association. No one likes a cheat, whether in relationships or games cheating is frowned upon and implying you are cheating would make you feel like you're doing something wrong.

I've heard arguments both ways. Some say no because its hard to come back from it, some say fat loading is good, and some say it keeps cravings at bay... I want to hear some other arguments and opinions for or against before I make my decision.

This Friday I was considering a "reward" meal. I just want to feel like I have support and perhaps healthy justifications.

Replies

• Zylahe
    Zylahe Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    does your "cheat meal" allow you to pig out?
    or is it just a rgular portion of a generally unhealthy meal?
    I think that may be the issue.

Sometimes we have nachos, which is riducolously unhelathy (with all the trimmings)
    but I i have it, I limit the amout of corn chips/ sour cream / cheese.
    I still have a decent portion of chilli ,fill up and enjoy it.
    Its still about 800 cals this way, but if i didn't limit the high cal stuff it could easilly be 1400 cals.

I think that the difference between the two may mean the difference between sucess and failure.
    over eating by 400 odd calories my body can deal with, but going crazy and having a full roast with bread sauce and all the desserts each week will cancel out any good i've done all week.
  • Sick_Beard
    Sick_Beard Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Why consider it a cheat meal if you can make provision for it by staying within your caloric limits?
  • bokodasu
    bokodasu Posts: 629 Member
    Options
    Eating the occasional good big meal = good. (Other people can get into the actual psychological and physiological reasons; I'm just gonna go with "your body needs to know it's not starving.")

Calling it, or making it, a "reward"? I wouldn't. Food as reward is a big problem for a lot of people - I'm definitely one of them. If you start making it the thing that you get when you do something good, you start using it as the thing that makes you feel good, and we all know where that ends up.

I don't think of it as a "cheat", either, and I agree with you about the problems there. Just hey, sometimes that thing is worth eating, so I'm gonna eat it. Doesn't have a moral value attached to it, other than enjoyment - and the knowledge that everything else has to even out later to fit it in to the overall plan.
  • MissCassieHughes
    MissCassieHughes Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I used to go wrong with 'rewarding' myself with food. Everyone works differently and I have got a bit less anal about not eating certain things but I try to have a 'healthier' option of something I'm craving and fit it in my calorie goals.

Personally, I think the reward should be non-food related because then it feels like you're depriving yourself. When I reach a goal I'll buy something, splurge a little bit... Lool spend my m&m's money on nail varnishes etc.

I think it is different for everyone but maybe the terminology 'reward' suggests its what you get for being punished lol
  • MissCassieHughes
    MissCassieHughes Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Eating the occasional good big meal = good. (Other people can get into the actual psychological and physiological reasons; I'm just gonna go with "your body needs to know it's not starving.")

Calling it, or making it, a "reward"? I wouldn't. Food as reward is a big problem for a lot of people - I'm definitely one of them. If you start making it the thing that you get when you do something good, you start using it as the thing that makes you feel good, and we all know where that ends up.

I don't think of it as a "cheat", either, and I agree with you about the problems there. Just hey, sometimes that thing is worth eating, so I'm gonna eat it. Doesn't have a moral value attached to it, other than enjoyment - and the knowledge that everything else has to even out later to fit it in to the overall plan.

Perfect
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    I don't like using the word "cheat" with regards to food either, but I'm not sure "reward" is that much better really. :smile: Terminology aside, a lot of people find this practise works well for them. Personally, I like to just fit the food I like into my normal calorie allowance, and don't feel the need to have that one particular meal to cheat/splurge/whatever. I try not to see food as good/bad or healthy/unhealthy; just eat what I like, in portions that allow me to meet my calorie and macronutrient goals.

I sometimes do have meals or days that other people might see as a "cheat", but it's more just because that's how life works than that I've planned for it. For example, if I go out to eat at someone else's house, or a buffet or something (which is not very often) then I basically allow myself to eat what I want without stressing out too much about how to log it. Chances are, I go over my goal, but it's only once in a while, so I don't feel bad about it. That happens maybe once a month. The key (for me) is to structure my every day diet so that I honestly don't feel the need to cheat or reward myself, because it doesn't feel like a chore in the first place.
  • LittleMissDover
    LittleMissDover Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I don't have a 'cheat' meal/ day every week, I have them when I 'need' to. For example, I'll be going out for a meal in a few weeks for a family member's 21st. I have no choice in the restaurant we go to. Obviously I can make the better choice once I'm there but this may still lead to me being over calories for the day, if so then fine, I won't beat myself up about it.

I don't plan a 'cheat' sometimes it just happens because that's just life, I can't panic and stay in every time there's a social occasion just in case it put me over calories for the day and if I'm craving something then I'm better to have a small portion of it rather than deny myself then binge on it a few days later.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    On those occasional days I eat well (not too much) I feel guilty and workout afterwards to earn back my calories. It is easy not to go over your calories on here, just work out more :-)
  • RVfrog
    RVfrog Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    My thinking is I plan for what I want to eat. If it's something I normally don't eat then I plan for it. I eat it without any guilt. That way there are no emotions attached to it. I planned I enjoyed and that makes it stress free.
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    I don't have a set 'cheat' day/meal. But if I'm going to a party or it's my birthday or any of the other odd things that crop up where you know it's going to be hard to stick to your calorie intake, I just enjoy myself and get back on it the next day.

At the end of the day, we all need to live as well. Life is not about dieting.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    i don't have a cheat meal anymore. i had plenty of them for years.

i stay within my boundaries and still enjoy life.
  • SimplyKry
    Options
    does your "cheat meal" allow you to pig out?
    or is it just a rgular portion of a generally unhealthy meal?
    I think that may be the issue.

Sometimes we have nachos, which is riducolously unhelathy (with all the trimmings)
    but I i have it, I limit the amout of corn chips/ sour cream / cheese.
    I still have a decent portion of chilli ,fill up and enjoy it.
    Its still about 800 cals this way, but if i didn't limit the high cal stuff it could easilly be 1400 cals.

I think that the difference between the two may mean the difference between sucess and failure.
    over eating by 400 odd calories my body can deal with, but going crazy and having a full roast with bread sauce and all the desserts each week will cancel out any good i've done all week.

I can see where you're coming from but I don't agree with it. I read an article explaining the amount of calories required to gain a lb and the number was 5500. 2000 of which your body requires to maintain your current wait (maybe more depending in your muscle mass) sitting still. Another 3500 to equal that lb. 5500 calories is the equivalent of 9 pepperoni pizzas from Pizza Hut. So I don't think that one meal, even pigging out, would reverse all the work from the prior week. If I did it every day, then yes... Eventually those extra calories would add up. I don't know about you though, but I know I can't eat 9 pizzas... Even personal-pans.

Saying that, I absolutely under no circumstances have any intentions of stuffing myself to the point of explosion. It is simply a meal consisting of not my regular healthy calorie conscious food.
  • Martina_Who
    Martina_Who Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I eat whatever I want to.... this is a lifestyle change for me not a diet. I aim to eat healthy and exercise regularly but when I feel like some chocolate or a meal out I'll have it and not feel guilty or consider it a cheat.
    I stay within my calories for the vast majority of the time and its working out very well for me!
    I have dieted many times in the past depriving myself and thus craving all the stuff I wasnt allowed have.
    this time I havent slipped off the wagon once and am consistently losing weight and feeling happy :)

Hope this helps you :)
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    You can only "cheat" on a diet.

And no, I don't reward weight loss with food. That makes absolutely no sense.
  • SimplyKry
    Options
    I appreciate ALL the feedback!
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    There's no such thing as a "cheat". For me this is a LIFELONG change, so i allow myself whatever I want as long as it is in moderation. I never feel bad about it. I'll continue to do this for the rest of my life.
  • bellarox13
    bellarox13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I don't do 'cheat' meals/days. I tend to be strict on myself on a normal day. If it is a special occasion, I will have a small portion of something not so good and try and stay in my calorie range. If I go alittle over, I am not worried because not everyday is a special occasion.
  • katcunock
    katcunock Posts: 664 Member
    Options

I've heard about cheat days and cheat meals but I think a day is way too much and calling it a "cheat" anything leaves a bad association. No one likes a cheat, whether in relationships or games cheating is frowned upon and implying you are cheating would make you feel like you're doing something wrong.

I think that reward also has a negative association. You shouldn't need to reward yourself with food.
  • roycruse73
    roycruse73 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I read a motivational piece once which I cant find a link to on the internet any more...

But basically it was quite a hard hitting piece asking why on earth you would reward all your hard work by undoing some or all of it with a "reward" meal...

Your reward is your progress towards your goal, the lower reading on the scale or the tape measure or the faster time on your run , swim or bike ride.

Food is for fuel, not for pleasure... only put in your mouth what your body needs.

That's what Im telling myself lately :)
  • saratf
    saratf Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    If there is something I really want, I eat it. Not on a specified day, and I don't think of it as a reward or a cheat, just something I want. BUT, I make sure I'm still near my calories for the day, or I eat a little less the next day. For me, this is sustainable. Sometimes, it's worth going over my calories for the day, but I don't let it derail me.