how do i fix it

Options
2»

Replies

• jazzalea
    jazzalea Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    eat healthier, not less... and move more.... and I mean MOVE more.... if you don't like going to the gym, find ways in your every day life to work just a little harder.... our bodies tend to go into an energy saving mode.... we sit when we can stand, we slouch or lean against the counter instead of holding ourselves up....get your body out of that mode by making it work constantly... and your metabolism will speed up again...

good luck :)
    :flowerforyou:
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Anyone have success upping cals and NOT gaining weight or not gaining for long?
    no

:noway: Actually, yes. You will find lots of people on MFP who had success after upping calories. Follow previous advice. Strength train, cardio if you want, eat your exercise calories back (although be careful not to overestimate them), measure food and log everything. I was on prednisone for 3 years, which causes weight gain and changes metabolism, and I still managed to get in the best shape of my life at 46 years old from weight training and, recently, logging on MFP. I eat most exercise calories back and net 1300-1400 calories per day.
  • simini77
    simini77 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Just a question, because I cannot get to your profile to look, but do you actually have any weight to lose? and I mean in accordance to your BMI or something, not just because you want to?
  • mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Just a question, because I cannot get to your profile to look, but do you actually have any weight to lose? and I mean in accordance to your BMI or something, not just because you want to?

I do. I am in the obese range for bmi. I need to lose at least 55 more :/
  • mjj79
    Options
    eat healthier, not less... and move more.... and I mean MOVE more.... if you don't like going to the gym, find ways in your every day life to work just a little harder.... our bodies tend to go into an energy saving mode.... we sit when we can stand, we slouch or lean against the counter instead of holding ourselves up....get your body out of that mode by making it work constantly... and your metabolism will speed up again...

good luck :)
    :flowerforyou:

Thanks :) I do enjoy exercise and almost always get in at least 4 days a weak. (I do Beachbody videos at home. I'm a homeschooling mom to 5 kids so getting OUT to exercise is not an option.)

Thanks for your thoughts!
  • mjj79
    Options
    Thank you all for your responses! I'm gonna work hard to factor all of them in. I feel like I have the exercise part down, i'm trying to aim for 1400 cals today (supposed to put me at loss of 1.5 a week). Also trying to keep protein up and processed foods down. Unfortunately, i usually have SOME processed foods for convenience. With 5 little kiddos, one of whom has to go to docs/hospital frequently, i have to grab the occasional bar or shake for my own sanity and convenience :/

Again, I appreciate all of your ideas and help. THANKS!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    There is absolutely no way in hell you need to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight. I did that, and the only thing that I lost was a functional metabolism.

Can you give us an idea of the timeline here? How long do you go with a certain calorie allocation before you make a change? You say you did a reset for 5 weeks, that's a good amount of time, but how long were you eating at TDEE - 20%? TDEE - 30%? How long have you been eating 1200 now? Does your doctor have anything to say? Antidepressants are notorious for inhibiting weight loss
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Rethink your exercise - If you are doing a lot of cardio and high intensity then you are likely not buidling up some muscle - so your body needs less ... resulting not in a damaged metabolism but in an efficient one.

Build up your muscle, focus your excercise on core and strength activity (.... lift heavy ....). More muscle more energy used...
  • Koldnomore
    Koldnomore Posts: 1,613 Member
    Options
    Anyone have success upping cals and NOT gaining weight or not gaining for long?

I upped my calories from 1200 to 1700 and didn't gain a single ounce. Actually I dropped about 8 lbs since I did this. The trick is not to do it all at once. Of course if you go from low calorie to 1500 immediately you are going to gain. I upped 100 - 200 calories every 2 -3 weeks. At the same time I also did not do any exercise - aside from my normal day to day things (I walk to work every day). I did not use MFP to decide my calories. Instead I read the newbie links, followed the information there. Determined my BMR and decided to eat based on my 'goal' weight not my current weight - this has been working incredibly well for me and means I don't have to mess with anything ever, I eat exactly the same number of calories until I get where I want to be. If I happen to work out I eat more but I don't have to work out - I will eventually but I am waiting until I am a little lighter to minimize impact to my joints. Working out while I was trying to get to the proper calories just messed up everything so you may want to consider just taking some time off your workouts until you get your diet in order.

From your diary I can't tell what your calories are as the days are all over the place in terms of what you are netting. Do some research and figure out your numbers properly then slowly work your way up and STAY consistent. Eat properly, watch your sodium, drink water. You need at least a month before you can say something isn't working and you have to be honest with yourself to say that you are doing what you are supposed to do - not just think you are.

Good luck!!
  • mjj79
    Options
    There is absolutely no way in hell you need to eat 1200 calories a day to lose weight. I did that, and the only thing that I lost was a functional metabolism.

Can you give us an idea of the timeline here? How long do you go with a certain calorie allocation before you make a change? You say you did a reset for 5 weeks, that's a good amount of time, but how long were you eating at TDEE - 20%? TDEE - 30%? How long have you been eating 1200 now? Does your doctor have anything to say? Antidepressants are notorious for inhibiting weight loss

I can't remember EXACTLY but I think around 3 weeks at TDEE 30% Maybe 2 at 20%? I've been doing 1000 to 1200 for at least 4 weeks. I was doing 800- 1000 for a year before doing the reset :/
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I can't remember EXACTLY but I think around 3 weeks at TDEE 30% Maybe 2 at 20%? I've been doing 1000 to 1200 for at least 4 weeks. I was doing 800- 1000 for a year before doing the reset :/

Wow, no wonder you reset! That's a very long time on such a restricted diet. I definitely feel you there... Eating low-low calorie was damaging for me too. As for the other times... 2-3 weeks is not a lot of time to give yourself to notice a weight loss before you change tack, especially when you're measuring in pounds rather than inches or body fat... If you are storing 4-5lbs of water weight over the course of a few weeks, you won't notice if you've lost *actual fat* during that time.

1400 calories isn't a really bad place to be; you won't starve yourself, but at the same time, there are very few people who can't lose weight on 1400 calories a day. I bet you just need to be more patient with yourself.
  • lcallbaugh
    Options
    Keep going with EM2WL. It can take months before everything evens out and the pounds start to drop. Before the scale, focus on your measurements and BF%. Even this can take a few months to change. Don't cut more that 20% below TDEE, especially if you are doing lots of cardio.
    And as others have said on this thread, Lift heavy!!!! You will get great body recomposition and look amazing.
    I am currently doing these things. I have not lost more than a couple pounds over the last few MONTHS, but inches and BF are now coming off. And my body is looking better every week!
    Be patient. Trust the process. And know that this may take a long time, but it's not a race. Make it do-able for you and your lifestyle.
  • mjj79
    Options
    Second day of eating more and finding im hungrier. Is that normal? Thank you all again for your insight.
  • amnsetie
    amnsetie Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    Good to see you changed your target cals.
    You need to move some of your protein to earlier in the day.

and despite your time issues eat fresh, ditch the bars.

Boiled eggs are good, boil a few at the same time and keep them in the fridge for quick snackies.
    or nuts, not nut bars, nuts,

that should help with the hunger pangs

sugars make me hungrier.
  • kareinlib
    Options
    The Zoloft may be messing with your system, so that's definitely something to ask your doctor next time you visit them. But yeah, as others have been saying you need to be eating a healthier amount. I don't know if you're exercising or not, but maybe you could do the opposite of what you're doing now calorie wise (as in, if you're eating all your exercise calories back, then try not eating them back, or vice versa).

Your body may be just storing all of the food you're eating and that might be why you're gaining weight if you aren't eating enough. Different bodies need a different amount of calories. Maybe yours isn't getting enough of them.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    I'm going to quote a study on fat and lean mass redeposition during weight recovery:
    Evidence is presented here suggesting that (i) human variability in the pattern of lean and fat tissue deposition during weight recovery is to a large extent determined by individual variations in the control of energy-partitioning, for which the initial % body fat is the most important predictor and (ii) the disproportionate gain in fat relative to lean tissue during weight recovery is contributed by a reduction in thermogenesis (i.e. increased efficiency of food utilization) for accelerating specifically the replenishment of the fat stores.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/8696417

So if you initially had a high body fat percentage when you started chronic calorie restriction, chances are you're going to regain a fair amount of fat back. It may suck, but if you want to recorrect your metabolic functioning as best as you can, you'll just have to accept it and move on by continuing the refeeding process.
  • Rileyrules
    Rileyrules Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am new to MFP (a few days) so maybe I should not give advice. But I think this is important to restate.

I would recommend - as a few others have - stop eating processed prepackaged stuff (drinks, bars, things in boxes, frozen meals etc.) Instead eat clean, eat whole foods ... cook it yourself and you know what's in it. The thing about eating clean is that you can eat more food w/in your daily cal goal and your body loves it. Yes it means you have to plan/prepare and cook but it is so worth it if you really want to be healthy.

Hang in there - you can do it! :happy: