Potassium - How to get 4g a day without a supplement?

Options
I read something that people who has sensory over-stimultation (overwhelmed easily by noise, lights, sounds, tastes, etc), sensitive temperament, and hyperactive tendencies not only benefit from a low sugar and sodium diet, but they also benefit from getting enough Potassium because of an odd imbalance due to genetics. They said that if all "-caine" drugs don't do much to you without huge doses (like novacaine at the dentist office) then you likely have this form of sensitivity that could benefit from increasing Potassium. So I thought "what the hell, might as well try" and now I'm on an adventure to get Potassium in my diet.

According to the World Healthiest Foods website, legumes and green veggies are the best ways to do it. But I can't eat legumes (they wreck havoc in my stomach - except PB but that's expected since it is the lowest with resistant starches) and dark green veggies are difficult to eat EVERY DAY (but bananas aren't)....

So I need to know, does anyone know any good ways to get Potassium up on a budget without taking supplements (though I will consider this venue too because it may be my only option)?

Link to World Healthiest Foods About Potassium:
http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=90

Link to study for credibility:
http://stephaniesarkis.com/blog/?p=156
(note: she has a ph.d so looks legit to me)

Replies

• EccentricDad
    EccentricDad Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kfbayard
    kfbayard Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I get muscle cramps in my legs at night if I don't get enough potassium so I started focusing on adding in more to my diet in April. I snack on apricots and almonds, and add coconut water to my smoothies and drinks, and eat a banana every day or so.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Thank you for the above replies.

Bumping to get more options.

367fua.jpg
  • curtnrod
    curtnrod Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Bananas
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Here is a link to potassium source in foods by content

https://www.ars.usda.gov/SP2UserFiles/Place/12354500/Data/SR24/nutrlist/sr24w306.pdf

Prunes, cooked tomato products, potatoes, bananas, oranges, raisins are all good sources of potassium.

ETA: don't rely on the MFP database solely to track potassium as many members don't add it and many packaged products don't list it.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    Banana at a105g serving is a good option but only 12.1% of the daily value needed. Need MOAR!
  • dellrio
    dellrio Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    This Orange Juice ---> Simply Orange with Mango. If you buy a 13 oz container at a convenience store it has 850mg of potassium.
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I just posted about leg cramps caused by a potassium deficiency and someone was kind enough to respond with this:
    Here is some info from a website I found for my mom, who wound up in the hospital because her potassium levels dropped way to low.

My favorites are avocados, cantalope, and orange juice. This shows how much eat food gives you

Foods with Potassium Serving Size Potassium (mg)
    Apricots, dried 10 halves 407
    Avocados, raw 1 ounce 180
    Bananas, raw 1 cup 594
    Beets, cooked 1 cup 519
    Brussel sprouts, cooked 1 cup 504
    Cantaloupe 1 cup 494
    Dates, dry 5 dates 271
    Figs, dry 2 figs 271
    Kiwi fruit, raw 1 medium 252
    Lima beans 1 cup 955
    Melons, honeydew 1 cup 461
    Milk, fat free or skim 1 cup 407
    Nectarines 1 nectarine 288
    Orange juice 1 cup 496
    Oranges 1 orange 237
    Pears (fresh) 1 pear 208
    Peanuts dry roasted, unsalted 1 ounce 187
    Potatoes, baked, 1 potato 1081
    Prune juice 1 cup 707
    Prunes, dried 1 cup 828
    Raisins 1 cup 1089
    Spinach, cooked 1 cup 839
    Tomato products, canned sauce 1 cup 909
    Winter squash 1 cup 896
    Yogurt plain, skim milk 8 ounces 579
  • laurielegg
    Options
    Sorry, I can't be of any real help. I have only been told to increase crisp greens in my diet. I was also told by a doctor that a doctor has to prescribe a supplement (if needed) because too much potassium is deadly or at minimum can cause kidney damage. If prescribed then you have to follow up on a regular basis with lab work to check levels.
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options
    As unpopular as supplements can be on here... I would say go with one.
    Not only will it guarantee that you get the min amount you need, but you don't have to worry about its absorption being blocked by sodium and caffeine in foods.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    This Orange Juice ---> Simply Orange with Mango. If you buy a 13 oz container at a convenience store it has 850mg of potassium.

Too much sugar in juices. I know it's fruit sugar, but my body is sensitive to sugar. Thank you though :flowerforyou:
  • laurielegg
    Options
    If you find increasing your potassium intake does not alleviate your leg cramps, try increasing your calcium intake as well. Insufficient calcium levels will cause leg cramps, also.
  • EccentricDad
    Options
    I just posted about leg cramps caused by a potassium deficiency and someone was kind enough to respond with this:
    Here is some info from a website I found for my mom, who wound up in the hospital because her potassium levels dropped way to low.

My favorites are avocados, cantalope, and orange juice. This shows how much eat food gives you

Foods with Potassium Serving Size Potassium (mg)
    Apricots, dried 10 halves 407
    Avocados, raw 1 ounce 180
    Bananas, raw 1 cup 594
    Beets, cooked 1 cup 519
    Brussel sprouts, cooked 1 cup 504
    Cantaloupe 1 cup 494
    Dates, dry 5 dates 271
    Figs, dry 2 figs 271
    Kiwi fruit, raw 1 medium 252
    Lima beans 1 cup 955
    Melons, honeydew 1 cup 461
    Milk, fat free or skim 1 cup 407
    Nectarines 1 nectarine 288
    Orange juice 1 cup 496
    Oranges 1 orange 237
    Pears (fresh) 1 pear 208
    Peanuts dry roasted, unsalted 1 ounce 187
    Potatoes, baked, 1 potato 1081
    Prune juice 1 cup 707
    Prunes, dried 1 cup 828
    Raisins 1 cup 1089
    Spinach, cooked 1 cup 839
    Tomato products, canned sauce 1 cup 909
    Winter squash 1 cup 896
    Yogurt plain, skim milk 8 ounces 579

Awesome list! I will have to save this. This is definitely going to help! Thank you VERY much :flowerforyou:
  • laurielegg
    Options
    I get muscle cramps in my legs at night if I don't get enough potassium so I started focusing on adding in more to my diet in April. I snack on apricots and almonds, and add coconut water to my smoothies and drinks, and eat a banana every day or so.

If you find increasing your potassium intake does not alleviate your leg cramps, try increasing your calcium intake as well. Insufficient calcium levels will cause leg cramps, also.
  • julieh391
    julieh391 Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Squash looks like the winner of the list calorie wise. If you do consider buying Potassium supplements over the counter, don't bother. They have 99mg, which is (I think) 2% of your RDA. Potassium is very dangerous in extremely high doses, so they make it pretty impossible to overdose on over the counter supplements.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Here's another list......

http://www.vaughns-1-pagers.com/food/potassium-foods.htm

I was pleasantly surprised to see how high avocados are (I could eat them every day......)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Replace your regular salt with a low-sodium alternative which uses potassium chloride.
  • BogQueen1
    BogQueen1 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Cantaloupe, tomatoes, salad, definitely salad. Bananas are good... but they aren't THAT high in potassium for the amount of calories they contain. You can make potassium a macro you track, I aim to get 3500 mg in my diet daily, and generally the only way I can do that is a LOT of produce. 2 cups of cantaloupe with breakfast will give you 850 odd mg for about 100 calories, which is double what you get in a large banana with the same calories. 3 cups of salad greens has 1200mg for about 30 calories.
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Dark leafy greens like spinach, chard and beet greens. Cook 'em up, they're delish! Also other green vegs like zucchini, peppers, broccoli, cabbage, and don't forget the almighty tomato! Drink low-sodium V-8 juice. Good stuff. Bake some winter squash. :love: