Almond Milk?

Options

Replies

• SMJ1987
    SMJ1987 Posts: 368
    Options
    LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVE. I hate the taste of regular milk.
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I now use almond milk exclusively, more often Silk's Pure Unsweetened Almond Milk, 30 cal./c., sometimes Original. If you are transitioning from cow's milk, you my want to start out with Original or Vanilla; the sweetness will closer reflect the taste you're accustomed to.
  • wow29
    wow29 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Drink it, myself. I drink Diamond's Unsweetened, sweetened has too much sugar, in fact, will be finishing my almond bunches of oats witth milk now..pause.. it tastes like skim milk with almonds. If you like almonds it is good. However, at regular price Wednesday night it was 3.18 so look for the two for $5 and stock up. This milk does last longer in the frig so that is a plus!
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I just recently bought the Dark Chocolate almond milk by Silk. They didn't have "unsweetened" in any of the stores in my area but I thought it tasted "okay". Won't be buying it again but thinking of trying the Unsweetened Vanilla to try with Ovaltine or my cappuccino coolers. I can drink milk but after 1 cup my stomach starts churning so if there's an alternative out there I will try it. I just don't suggest the Dark Chocolate if you're wanting to switch for fewer calories because its 120cal./8oz (unless you find an unsweetened one). If you can get used to the unsweetened ones then perfect!
  • okiesarah
    Options
    I do not like it to just drink on it's own but it is great to use in cooking. It saves a few calories. But you have to make sure you use the unsweetened kind in most recipes.
  • lovemykids58
    lovemykids58 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Silk light is AMAZING. I use it now instead of milk. When i cook with it my family said it taste better ( before they knew i used silk instead of reg. milk!)
  • strider1789
    Options
    I love almond milk! It has a slightly different taste than cow milk, but some people love that! It especially depends what flavor you buy and if you choose sweetened or not. Just take a look, there are so many options now! Buy one container and see, it can't hurt!
  • KAR1959
    KAR1959 Posts: 4,270 Member
    Options
    I like almond milk. I switched about a month ago and use unsweetened by Blue Diamond. I also like the fact that it has a longer shelf life than the skim milk I use to drink. I'm not having to throw it out.
  • chinita96
    chinita96 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Love almond milk! So much less in calories! I use the unsweetened version for my protein shakes and cereal. No need for the added sugar of regular milk! I also use it to make lattes! Highly recommend trying it!
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    That's all I drink. I absolutely love it.

Blue Diamond Almond Breeze. Yum.
  • ALH1981
    ALH1981 Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    its amazing - no bloating, no upset tummy and DELIOUS!
  • mikeyboy
    mikeyboy Posts: 1,057 Member
    Options
    I use Silk brand unsweetend vanilla. I love it!
  • AnisaMG
    AnisaMG Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I love love love Vanilla Almond milk in my smoothie and warmed up and placed in Chai tea... so yummy!! And I agree with the above poster - no bloating, no upset stomach...
  • recorder40
    recorder40 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I enjoy it I like the vanilla flavor
  • rhaven15th
    Options
    Just don't drink it everyday or consume too much of it. While it's pretty good for you, it also have it's bad.
    http://almondmilkbenefits.org/almond-milk-dangers-myths-and-facts/
  • sevsmom
    sevsmom Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    I use it for my protein shake/smoothies. Blue Diamond Unsweetend Vanilla. It's good for that. I haven't tried it in anything else. I kinda like my skim milk for cereal on the rare occassions (like today) that I have it for breakfast. Probably a bit to timid to try it in cereal.
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I can't do regular milk, so I use almond milk a lot. To me it is similar to a skim or 1% milk as far as texture. It has a lot less cals and more calcium, but it also has less protein. I use it in cereal, and I like to add about 2 oz to my travel mug when I have my morning coffee. I like the fact that I can buy it in shelf-stable boxes as well as cold cartons, so I don't ever run out.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I'm lactose intolerant so it's about all I can use as soy is not supposed to be that good for women after a "certain age". I love it! I drink the unsweetened too. I also, for a treat, get the unsweetened chocolate. I actually don't like "real" milk as it leaves an aftertaste and scum at the back of my throat.
  • loragp
    loragp Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I really like Blue Diamond Unsweetened Almond Milk: vanilla, plain and chocolate. I haven't tried the sweetened versions because I'm afraid they will be too sweet for my taste. I really like the flavor of the plain and vanilla flavors in my cereal and smoothies and as an added bonus I don't feel as weighed down as when I use cow's milk (I love cow's milk, by the way). I also use the plain and vanilla when baking or cooking and nobody knows the difference.

I buy the chocolate flavor (again, unsweetened) every once in a while to drink it by the glass. I feel like I'm indulging and having a treat! I'm not lactose intolerant, to my knowledge, but I can tell the difference in my tummy and beyond when I've had a glass of almond milk vs. cow's milk: less full/bloated feeling, no intestinal distress and no "icky" feeling.

Several people have already touched on the nutritional info for almond milk so I won't dive further into that but overall it appears to be a better choice, in my opinion.

You should also give coconut milk a try (the kind that is sold alongside the almond and soy milk, not the one they sell in the canned goods aisle). It tastes great!!
  • JacquelineD35
    JacquelineD35 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    LOVE almond milk, I started drinking Almond Breeze Unsweetened Almond Milk then I found Trader Joes :) they are both good. I use to have stomach issues when I drank regular milk, now I have none.