Almond Milk?

Options

Replies

• cragen01
    cragen01 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    The vanilla almond Silk is really good. I love using it in cereal. For other things where a sweetened milk wouldn't really work, I use the regular Silk almond. The regular Silk(the soy one) I thought was gross, and couldn't even drink it.

FYI, the So Delicious brand coconut milk isn't much better. It tastes like watery skim milk with a hint of coconut...not for me.
  • sammniamii
    sammniamii Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    I love it - but there are many different brands, as well as flavored (Vanilla & Chocolate) and unsweetened versions.

Depending on cal needs (and if you are watching carbs) Vanilla Unsweetened in most brands is a good bet - normally 2cups is less than 100 cals.

Silk is my normal brand, although Breeze is ok but higher in cals. Trader Joe's is ok, but not the best taste. BUT... Breeze also makes an Almond/Coconut milk blend, unsweetened which is very taste and low cal/carb. It's just a pain to find it. One brand also makes a version that is higher in Protein, but I forget the brand (it's a yellow carton in the US).

Oh, and the unsweetened one works best in protein drinks or shakes, it can be alittle harsh when drunk alone, but not untolerably so. If you get the vanilla or chocolate (highest in cal/carb) it masks the almond flavor nicely.
  • luv3babies
    luv3babies Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I mix unsweetened almond wilk with protein powder
  • MurphysLawTD
    MurphysLawTD Posts: 310 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of swapping to Almond Milk, has anyone else tried it? What do you think of it taste wise and have you noticed any health benefits?

Thanks in advance :smile:

I haven't had regular milk (except FF 1/2 & 1/2 in coffee) in 3 months and I feel great. I love the taste and consistency of unsweetened almond milk. There's a great almond coconut blend as well that's great, but not in everything b/c the coconut is pretty strong.

Unsweetened almond is very smooth; it's a great additive to shakes, in cereal and to drink straight up. I've been experimenting with shake recipes with it, but it can get PRICEY!!
  • jfrog123
    jfrog123 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Just don't drink it everyday or consume too much of it. While it's pretty good for you, it also have it's bad.
    http://almondmilkbenefits.org/almond-milk-dangers-myths-and-facts/

First of all, I had a hard time taking this article seriously while trying to make it through all the type-os and grammatical errors.

Second, it is telling me that if I have low thyroid function almond milk may interfere with my iodine uptake (the meaning of goitrogenic), but a person would have to consume mass quantities on a regular basis for this to be a concern.

Third, the article states that almond milk can replace cow's milk for babies. Who gives cow's milk to babies in the first place? Most pediatricians that I know encourage parents to wait until at least 12 months of age before introducing cow's milk into a child's diet.

No food is perfect. We have to look at the nutritional information and make the decision that is right for each of us.
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I make my almond milk, and it's easy to make, if you have a blender. I also make coconut milk. I love them both.

I also make my own almond milk, but not too sure how to work out the nutritional values. How do you calculate them?
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    Just don't drink it everyday or consume too much of it. While it's pretty good for you, it also have it's bad.

First of all, I had a hard time taking this article seriously while trying to make it through all the type-os and grammatical errors.

Second, it is telling me that if I have low thyroid function almond milk may interfere with my iodine uptake (the meaning of goitrogenic), but a person would have to consume mass quantities on a regular basis for this to be a concern.

Third, the article states that almond milk can replace cow's milk for babies. Who gives cow's milk to babies in the first place? Most pediatricians that I know encourage parents to wait until at least 12 months of age before introducing cow's milk into a child's diet.

No food is perfect. We have to look at the nutritional information and make the decision that is right for each of us.

Thank you for this, I thought the same thing when I read the ridicuous blog...
  • nickhuffman74
    nickhuffman74 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I just switched from whole milk to Soy milk. Then after reading that eating too much soy can have negative effect because of the effects of elevating estrogen levels in men (I am still researching this but why take a risk until I can form an educated opinion) I switched to almond milk. I must say I really enjoy it and mix it with protein powder and banana for an easy morning breakfast. Good stuff!
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of swapping to Almond Milk, has anyone else tried it? What do you think of it taste wise and have you noticed any health benefits?

Thanks in advance :smile:

I like vanilla almond milk on cereal and in smoothies. I can't stand to drink it or have it in things like coffee, hot chocolate, etc.
  • Poods71
    Poods71 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Wow, so many responses. Sounds like a lot of people like it. I'm not sure which brands I will be able to get in Scotland but will have a look and see what they have. Not sure if I have an intolerance (I did have when I was a baby) but it would be interesting to see if it makes any difference.
  • stweb3028
    stweb3028 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I, like many, did not initially like the taste of almond milk. I had originally tried the unsweetened variety, and did not like the taste at all. Someone suggested that I try the vanilla variety, and have not used milk since. It is a few more calories that the unsweetened, but very palatable. It has been a great compliment to every cereal that I have thrown at it, at half the calories of milk. I suggested it to a friend that was having digestive issues with milk. She likes it as well, and does not have the digestive issues as she had with milk.
  • krherzberg
    Options
    i love it, specifically Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk...it has only 30 calories a cup! it is a great substitue for regular milk in cereal, coffee and protien shakes! way less sugar than regular milk to! i don't drink it on its own..unless its the sweetened kind..and even then it has less calories that fat free milk
  • Dudagarcia
    Dudagarcia Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    I love it and so does hubby. We use blue diamond breeze vanilla unsweetened
  • KCRunnerSteve
    KCRunnerSteve Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    We made the switch and what's great is that my daughters both love it too. We still keep some 1% milk around for them to drink with dinner and put on their cereal. My only complaint is the cost.
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options

panic.gif
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    I love almond milk. I'm lactose intolerant and this doesn't bother my stomach at all. The flavor seems nice to me...sweeter than regular milk and so I love it on bran or other plain cereals. All I can say is give it a shot! You might like it.
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options
    has there been a joke about almonds having nipples yet?....

just in case i wanna be teh funneh...
  • Cliffslosinit
    Cliffslosinit Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options

Maybe nuts tho
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,323 Member
    Options

Maybe nuts tho

*applauds*
  • meeper123
    meeper123 Posts: 3,347 Member
    Options
    I love it myself :D