Do you share your weight loss journey with everyone?

Options

Replies

• californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I was careful with it because you get some negative reactions as well as positive. Sometimes it distracts you from your purpose. I got a lot of negative comments like "you are too skinny" blah blah blah when I first got down to the same I wanted. When you really get the shape you want you will no longer be the norm, you will be exceptional in today's society. Women especially, whether they mean to or not, will bring down other women. It's just human nature. Plus it takes awhile for people to get used to you when they were used to seeing you over weight for so long.

I have a couple of girlfriends online who I did my journey with and we all called it "covert nutrition" because we found it best to just not talk about it. Eat when you want and say no thanks when people try to push it on you at social events. You can just say no thanks I am not hungry right now, I just ate, I'm full, whatever. You don't have to say you are dieting.

People will constantly tell you what and how to eat. I love this quote "“Preach not to others what they should eat, but eat as becomes you, and be silent.” -Brad Pilon

Anyway I experienced all the negative stuff last year and it's just now been over a year that I've been maintaining. Just now I feel I can talk openly about my methods and what I've done. People ask and people want to know the secret. I've gained respect because it's been long enough that they realize it's not a fad. It is real. I've changed my lifestyle and they want to know how to do it too. No one calls me thin anymore, they call me fit, no one questions my eating methods anymore because I'm clearly not having an eating disorder and my muscle tone looks good. I look well and healthy. So I'm just now starting to talk about it.
  • DetroitDarin
    DetroitDarin Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Mine is online; and I frequently post updates via FB.

http://nomancard.blogspot.com/
  • porcelain_doll
    porcelain_doll Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    I have told many, many people about losing weight, and now I wish I hadn't. While on the one hand it is good for accountability, it is also embarrassing when plateaus hit and the loss stops. If I could do it all over, I would tell no one except my mom and dad, a few close friends, and of course my MFPs.
  • amanda_ataraxia
    amanda_ataraxia Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Only my family knows. I don't talk about it on Facebook at all. I talk about running and things occasionally, but I've never said how much I've lost.
  • erinnstreeter
    erinnstreeter Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    My mom knows about my efforts, and my fiance, and I have a few friends who are also using MFP, and they're the ones with whom I talk about weight loss. I feel more comfortable not making a big deal about this, because I look at it this way: all of the healthy things I've been doing should be habitual, daily life stuff. No one gives you a gold star for cleaning your house; same thing with taking care of your body, it's just something we should all be doing.
  • sabolfitwife
    sabolfitwife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I don't go out a blab it to the world, no. But everyone at work notices and comments and so I gladly tell them how I do it: DISCIPLINE, watching what I eat and exercising. They all think it's some magic pill and it just amazes me that they don't realize they have it in themselves too. Now if only I can convince my boyfriend to join me in this journey.
  • imchicbad
    imchicbad Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    They only asked after they seen me, but I know everyone at my work knows because they seen my drastic change in eating habits (saying no to everything they eat lol) but I would say I dont care either way who knows, but if you ask I will tell you. You shouldnt be embarassed about it,

its really no ones business unless YOU see fit.:smokin:
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    No, I use MFP to obsess over it. I have a small circle of friends who really know and my family but that's about it. the rest of the world just has to speculate and or watch from the outside.
  • TeaberryDawn
    TeaberryDawn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I have only my husband, close friends and family that I am making a conscious effort. I am also participating in a Diabetes Prevention Program at work, so those who participate know as well. I have struggles with weight my entire life, so it can be scary letting others know that you are trying to do something about it, especially if they are not supportive or negative. However, I am fortunate to have supportive family and friends (failure or not) and their positive peer pressure motivates me. It is different for everyone, but I love the support and am willing to share with anyone who asks. Best wishes on your journey!
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Dang right I do!!! Anyone who will listen. I worked hard to get here and am proud of myself for making the changes. They dont like it, they shouldnt ask or listen!!!
  • lilacsun
    lilacsun Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    My mom knows about my efforts, and my fiance, and I have a few friends who are also using MFP, and they're the ones with whom I talk about weight loss. I feel more comfortable not making a big deal about this, because I look at it this way: all of the healthy things I've been doing should be habitual, daily life stuff. No one gives you a gold star for cleaning your house; same thing with taking care of your body, it's just something we should all be doing.

I feel this way also. The only ones that know, are the people I'm closest to. They see me log my food in.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    I tell my closest friends and immediate family - basically, I tell the people whom I know I can count on to be my cheering section.

I do *not* post about it on my blog, or on Facebook.
  • YcatsFursworth
    YcatsFursworth Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    My husband knows and supports me. couldn't do it without him.

my family knows because they are here on vacation. other then that I'm not gonna be really telling everyone..... people just keep on saying thigns behind my back about me failing and "When is she gonna give up this time?" and crap like that and I'm sick of it. So they can just be shocked when they see the difference!
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    People notice and want to know exact numbers on how much I have lost. To me this is really annoying!! I feel like I have to explain that I don't know how much I weighed when I saw them last. Where the hell do I count from and who the hell cares about the numbers anyway, so rude. I have noticed a lot more people around me getting healthy since I started at the beginning of the year . I live in a little town and believe health is contagous. No one wants to be left behind. My husband jumped on board immediately and now a few of my friends are doing it too. My husband's brother is getting healthy and his father too. Funny how that works. I think I am the healthiest I have ever been!!! I avoid number discussions but I am passionate about what is working for me and I like to talk about it :).
  • CJisinShape
    CJisinShape Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Yeah, it's all on the dl. Previous experience has taught me to look to God for encouragement. I came on here because I don't discuss it with anyone I know. I don't go to great lengths to hide it, but I don't make it a topic of conversation.
  • chanixxx
    Options
    I'm off for summers, so people asked me when I got back to work cos I had dropped 30+ lbs since April, and I just told them I was eating less and moving more.
  • ThatMrs99
    Options
    Weird thing for me is I have a public MFP account and a Health and Fitness blog connected to a Twitter and a Facebook page, but I NEVER discuss my weight loss/get fit journey with ANYONE I know personally. *shrugs*
  • Dandawa
    Options
    my mom n dad no, i guess i have tried this to many years, mind u i have been successful just had babies in between. i do tell those i c everyday.
    but for many i figure i did not tell them i was gainning.
  • __Sneakers__
    Options
    Just my mom and mfp friends
  • YoungerNextYear59937
    Options
    I kept it to myself and made a game of it to see who would comment first on my loss!