How do you stick to it for more than a week?

Options

Replies

• janlee_001
    janlee_001 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    Hibernate - j/k - you just do it.
  • ukgirly01
    ukgirly01 Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Oh and add a few friends the motivation really helps
  • tonightokayalright
    Options
    Healthy food is crazy delicious, you learn to love it. Also, don't buy junk food. After a while you crave sweets less (I think most things are too sweet for me these days) and can resist the chips a lot easier, because when you do give in it's not as satisfying. Or you find healthier alternatives, like air popped popcorn and kale chips.
  • hillm12345
    hillm12345 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    If you want it bad enough, you stick to it. If not, then you don't...

this. I was very "on the fence" until I posted a topic of "help I can't stick to it" someone ... "You don't want it bad enough"... they were right.. Now I'm fitting into my old clothes.

snacks, chocolates, sweets, fast food, and temptation will always be there.. you have to find a way to deal with it.
  • themommie
    themommie Posts: 5,011 Member
    Options
    I have been doing it for over 2 yrs and I cant imagine going back to life before MFP. Before MFP I was having falling spells, (falling for no reason), I was falling asleep in midsentence, I was in bed 2-4 days a week, so for me it is about loving life again and nothing is worth going back for not even hot fudge sundaes
    You have to decide how much you want it
    replace the foods you are now eating with new lowcal favorites ex I dont buy containers of ice cream anymore I buy ice cream bars
    Take your own lowcal foods to put in a seperate container in the junk cupboard at work ex popchips, mini rice cakes, apples, popcorn , etc
    YOU CAN DO THIS HOW BAD DO YOU WANT IT
  • RollinDawg
    RollinDawg Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    You've got to want to do it, or you can just quit now. Find what motivates you and use that. Do you want to be around to see your children grow up, and maybe even see your grandkids some day? Do you want to become healthy and lower your risks of health issues? Do you want to look better to meet women? Are you tired of having to take a break to catch your breath after tying your shoes?

If you stick with this, anything is possible.
  • tubbyelmo
    tubbyelmo Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Determination, desire to be slim, and will power I never knew I had! Since finding this site I've steadily lost weight, eaten so much more healthy food, exercised more than I had for years, and I'm loving it! Add me as a friend if you want some encouragement and support - it helps!!
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    For starters, you have to want this badly enough to put the effort in. Plan ahead. Bring healthy snacks with you wherever you go! Stop buying lunch and make your own. Do as much of your own cooking as humanly possible. There are great websites for recipes like Cooking Light, Skinnytaste, Skinny Kitchen and others. Exercise, do both cardio and strength training. This isn't easy this lifestyle change but it is sooooooo worth it!
  • missjewl
    missjewl Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    I can't imagine MFP getting boring, I check this before I check my FB LOL

Totally second this... lol i use to be chronic with fb but since mfp i am constantly on here! So many great people and help tips it's kind of addicting :) I find FB boring now.
  • kidcole11
    kidcole11 Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    I'm terrified I'll stop using mfp. I find myself reaching for my goals and keeping them in mind as what keeps me going. I want to weigh less than I have in years(under 190) and I want to be thinner by the holidays so I look better in all the family photos. I want to wear a swimsuit and be comfortable doing so by June...etc. These are the things motivating me. Day to day I hold myself accountable by logging everything and worrying about what my mfp friends might think of my eating. I've always cared too much what others think of me and I'm using that to my advantage. So figure out what motivates you and why you want to lose weight then just be completely honest to your mfp friends and to yourself. I recently heard the following...what you eat in private, you wear in public.
  • knb2000
    knb2000 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I've been on here for 40 days so no expert, but I'm getting to where I don't even want the really bad foods anymore. I also take my own portion baggies with snacks (caramel rice cakes, grapes, sunflower seeds, cottage cheese, cheese sticks, yogurts with granola) where ever I go because I tend to be hungry sooner so I am eating something at least every 3 hours. I haven't excluded anything from my meal plans except for soda. I still go to fast food, I just check mfp app first for where I am going to see what the calories are and make better choices. I will say I ate Pizza last weekend and it made me sick to my stomach that night because my body is already started to get used to the better choices I am making. I was so dreading TOM because I thought I wouldn't be able to control the cravings, but it came and went and I didn't skip a beat.

I'm loving looking at what everyone else eats on here to give me new ideas. I never knew I loved broccoli until I tried it with garlic salt like some suggested. Now I eat it a few times a week with the quinoa rice. Love that too.. I need the variety and I am OCPD so putting everything in my diary is like an addiction. I also suggest joining one of the groups that interest you on here and adding some friends.
  • FiercelyBeautiful
    FiercelyBeautiful Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    I decided to change my life and logging food is just part of my life, it isnt something I do it is everyday living for me, Some days I dont but its just a day I dont, its not a major event. If you look at it as a life thing and not a day to day thing, it changes everything.
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    To start, focus on just logging all of your food every day (good or bad). Then just make minor changes to improve your diet over time. Massive changes are going to be much harder to maintain long term than a series of smaller changes.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    1) You have to REALLY want it.

2) Add some friends on here, they're such great motivators! I'm probably addicted to this site I love it so much, mainly because there's so many people to talk to - it's like a much better FB, a fitness one.
  • tedsmama
    tedsmama Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I found the first two weeks the toughest. Five weeks in and not feeling deprived in the least. Stick with it. It's an adjustment! Good luck!!
  • rachelerwin
    rachelerwin Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I am only 4 pounds away from my first 100 pounds. I am very determined. I enjoy seeing the scale go down and my clothes getting bigger as I get smaller. It takes alot of hard work, but if you want it bad enough it gets easier.
  • tmauck4472
    tmauck4472 Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You've got to want it bad enough. Until then you won't do it. Once you get past all the cravings of those bad foods then it's really easy. But in order to get past them you have to quit eating them.
  • Phaedra2014
    Phaedra2014 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Hi All

I have tried to do MFP loads of times and find it difficult to get past 1 or 2 weeks as i get bored.

How on earth do you keep it up - even with the temptations of tasty junk food....??

Work is the hardest as i work in an office and the depts "snack cupboard" is ALWAYS full up of junk/crisps/chocolate......

HELP PLEASE

As with most anything in life, there has to be a shift in perspective and a desire for outcome.

Junk food isn't tempting or tasty to me anymore so I don't have to work at staying away from it. I just do. It's not because I have more willpower than you do; it's because I fully realized it isn't good for me.
  • dogo187
    dogo187 Posts: 376
    Options
    i needed to lose weight cause i didnt want to die! i was pre-diabetic and 315lbs...i was shortening my life by probably 20 to 30 years and setting myself and my family up for a lesser quality of life if i continued to live the way that i was...i have two young children and why would i want to miss out on anything that i didnt have to...

to stay on plan i remind myself of this...i dont want to die! i eat real food, and i eat plenty of good stuff. ive learnt to cook healthy so we still get to each cheeseburgers, pizza and icecream sandwiches (cool whip sandwiched between a chocolate graham cracker)...

getting healthy is not about depriving yourself of anything but it does involve making a thought out decision about what you put in your mouth and how much you move your body...

small changes overtime, not quitting, meal planning and making the time to exercise are what has worked for me...its really not about being on a diet, its about a lifestyle change that works for you...you dont have to be perfect every day, but you do need to make the effort every day!
  • Clarissia_Nicole
    Clarissia_Nicole Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I am only 4 pounds away from my first 100 pounds. I am very determined. I enjoy seeing the scale go down and my clothes getting bigger as I get smaller. It takes alot of hard work, but if you want it bad enough it gets easier.
    wow congrats