Options
13»

Replies

• YouAreTheShit
    YouAreTheShit Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Ignore the naysayers.

The iPhone 5 is an amazing phone!

Before long you'll wonder how you ever settled for a Blackberry for so long.
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I won't be buying it. I love my iphone 4 and it is still in great shape. The battery is still good. If I upgrade, I'll just get a 4S at a discounted price. No need to buy a new phone when the one I have is doing well.
  • TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Ive got an Android and never intend to purchase an iphone but what is all this about Apple "telling you what you can and cant do with it " ?? What are they telling you cant do with it- fly? I could have told ya that, lol
  • SherryR1971
    SherryR1971 Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Yep, I love my Android
  • GrammaBonnie
    GrammaBonnie Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I am chomping at the bit to get my new IPhone 5. However, I'm going to wait until the frenzy slows down, to see if there are any bugs that turn up. I just don't like getting any new technology products right after they come out.

My iPhone 4 reached it's 2-year contract in July. I can't wait to dump it, primarily because I have AT&T for a carrier, and the coverage is BAD. (1 Bar in my home). I will be switching to Verizon. (5 bars for a friend visiting my home.) When my cousin from visited in NH, her AT&T didn't work here, but worked well at her home in Colorado, so carrier is region specific.)

Despite its cost, I will be saving money. The plan for my husband and I would be slighting less with Verizon, and I will be taking my husband off the plan, making it much more affordable. (He works in a secure place, where smart phones aren't allowed. He was able to use it at work for a while, but then they decided to stop them again. He doesn't use it enough to warrant the cost, and will go on a pay-per-use plan).

You could go with the 4S or 5, but, personally, I would stick with the newest. However, I admit that I'm a tech junkie. If I were buying a brand new car, I wouldn't get last year's model; I'd want all the newest features.

If you are a mile from an Apple store, go talk to them!!! Purchase your new iPhone from them, and pay another $99 for the One to One program -- they'll teach you how to sync your phone to your computer -- so your address book and calendars are always up to date, and how to use this new tool to your best ability. Ask each One-to-One teacher what their favorite apps are, and try them out. (The One-to-one program used to be only if you purchased your Apple device directly from them.) (I just re-read your post. It sounds like you already have the One-to-one. Smart!!!)

As far as Apps: Apple has the best selection. And, because Apple has a strict policy (which others are finding objectionable???), you have less worry about corruption and hacking than the competitors. I think you'll find an iPhone easier to use than an Android.

Some of my favorite apps -- which may be available on other platforms-- include:
    MFP. (I use it when I'm out, but use my MacBook Pro when I'm home.).
    MapMyWalk and MapMyRide.
    Grocery IQ (shopping list).
    Evernote (free-form database for collecting notes -- audio, typed, scanned, clipped ...) I have a ton of notes from MFP stored in mine, as well as recipes, household data (like dimensions of my fridge, paint colors), medical history, account information (it can be encrypted!), and much more.

Good luck!
  • JennyLisT
    JennyLisT Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    I won't be buying it. I love my iphone 4 and it is still in great shape. The battery is still good. If I upgrade, I'll just get a 4S at a discounted price. No need to buy a new phone when the one I have is doing well.

That sounds damn near reasonable!

I don't do "smart" phones. I really don't get the hype every time a new "OMG WTF VERSION X" of any of them comes out.
  • ShaneWinston58
    Options
    @ - GrammaBonnie - I use some of the same apps that you listed. Very glad to hear that I can get them on an iPhone!!!
  • Determinednoob
    Determinednoob Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    I'll buy one when my contract is up and I can get it for under 200 bucks, because it is a decent bit better than the one i have.
  • Cheryl_66
    Cheryl_66 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Shane, I had a blackberry from sprint up until last weekend, when I lost it. I stayed with sprint because I was grandfathered into a plan (15 yrs with sprint) and I didn't want to deal with porting issue or choosing a new plan. I got the iPhone 5 yesterday via UPS...didn't wait in line or any of that. I doubt you'll need to take lessons on how to use it as so far, it's pretty intuitive. As for LTE coverage, go to the sprint website for the map. I just have 3G where I live (Chicagoland).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    I have been going back and forth because my contract is up. i looked at the new Samsung and read about all the new features in the iP5.

I finally was able to try out an iP5 today and I'll be sticking with Android-probably one of the new Razrs. I have had some experience with the 4S, having set up two of them for my wife and daughter (and in fact I am typing this on my wife's iPad). As good as the iP5 is, I just feel more comfortable with the Android system.

The iP5 is beautiful, sleek, light, and fast. It's definitely worth the upgrade, even from the 4S. I just find the interface kind of clunky,compared to the newest Androids. I think the overall display setup is starting to look dated and kind of boring,compared to the newer Androids. I also get frustrated by Apple's obsessive need to control the user experience.

I found that even some of the older (current) Droid models were close to the iPhone in performance and the new Motorola Razr M matched it. The picture quality was just as good, too. And it felt light and solid.

So I have nothing really bad to say about the iPhone. I just don't think it's for me. Like I said, I think if you are a current iPhone user, you will be very happy with the new model.
  • strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    @ - Katamus. What does LTE Data mean??

It's the 4G Long Term Evolution Network. Verizon is the biggest at the moment. Followed by AT&T and Sprint. Sprint is expanding but they have limited coverage at the moment.

The 4G LTE network operates on the 700 MHZ band for Verizon. Anyway, all this means is faster data. And it truly is faster. Not to mention that the low frequency has better penetration in hard to reach areas.

I won't be getting the 5 yet. My 4 works fine. I love Apple and their products and I love the iphones but I don't really need to be on a faster network right now so I am holding out. The new one is pretty cool but I have to say I still love the size of the 4 and 4S. I am not thrilled about the taller screen.
  • donnamixon
    Options
    Hummm, looks like people either love Apple products or hate them. I'm seeing no gray areas here. I guess I fall into the love category. I have had several other smart phones as well as iPhones and I, personally, find iPhone much more user friendly. After having an iPhone, I wouldn't want anything else. Impatiently awaiting my replacement time so I can get the new iPhone 5 too!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I still can't believe that y'all are JUST NOW able to take panos! That gave me a good chuckle when I heard.
  • sovannac
    sovannac Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I dont buy stuff from companies that tell me what I can and cannot do with it.

This.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I have the Samsung S3, my wife the iP4S. Having used both, I love my S3 more than the Apple stuff. Like someone else said, don't be an iSheep..lol For the technology you're getting from the iP5, it's way overpriced.
  • wolverine66
    wolverine66 Posts: 3,780 Member
    Options
    while I am sure that she appreciates everyone's input, it seems to me she has already made the decision to buy an iphone, and wasn't searching for alternatives.

rarely am i as perplexed as i am when people think they have a personal crusade to convince someone to use/not use a particular phone.
  • wrbiii
    wrbiii Posts: 151
    Options
    I'm gonna buy one. I prefer being told what I can and can't do with my phone. I also love being super cool. I have to have the latest and greatest Apple product or I will die unhappy. My children will never know what it means to live (because I obviously will never have any if I don't have a new iphone... can't be cool enough to get laid without the Iphone)

/sarcasm

I will not be buying this chinese manufactured piece of corporate controlled greed swag. My old android (that didn't cost 400 dollars used) has most, if not all the features apple just decided to add to their latest I-poop
  • ShaneWinston58
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your input. I will definitely be checking out the Samsung and the Apple iPhone5 and AT & T instead of Sprint.