WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• yoyonomore55
    yoyonomore55 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Cindy- I am fighting the last few pounds to get to my goal and most of them seem to be hanging on to my belly. My weight loss doctor suggested low carbs to get rid of the belly fat. Although the scales haven't gone down much since I have been avoiding all carbs except those in fruits and vegetables and a small amount from whole grains, doctor says I have lost a total of 6 pounds of fat. My clothes are fitting better also. I have been adding muscle and always battle water retention-thus no movement on the scales. I have also read many places that interval training is the best form of exercise to get rid of belly fat.
    On days that I know I will not be able to spend an hour exercising, I try to get as many ten minute fast walks in.
    It will be interesting to see how the 10 minute sessions on the elliptical work for you. Let us know.
    Deb A
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

DebA:smile: congrats on the fat loss, that's fantastic!!!

Mwheatcraft:smile: I had to laugh at myself when I read "carb fog" , my first thought was who is that, have I missed a new person, then it clicked, not a person, a condition:laugh: . I think I have experienced that myself, however not lately, if I snack now it's usually fruit and the carbs in fruit don't seem to bother me.

Glenda:smile: I find I need to check in twice a day here to keep up with this busy group! Wish you could have gone shopping with me too, I'm sure the ladies at the store had no idea why I was smiling so much, especially since most of the clothes were s size xl:laugh: .

Jen:smile: hope you friends dad is okay! Yay for the two wins in tennis!!!!!

Wessecg:smile: I'm usually on my iPad and thankfully I don't get many ads, I wouldn't want to see a belly with a rash either, gross:sick: .

Stardancer:smile: hope you're feeling better soon:flowerforyou: . Get lots of rest this weekend!!!

Tigress:smile: lobster bisque sounds heavenly:love: . Hope you have fun and sell lots of jewelry at the arts and craft fair!

Polly:smile: congrats on getting that pound off!!!! Yay for 15 lbs. gone!!!!

Michele:smile: did you have a lot of wind with that rainstorm, by the time it got here the wind toppled yet another of my Bradford pear trees:angry: , it just broke it in half. I used to have 40 of them lining my driveway, I'm down to 35 now and some of them are just half trees. They are beautiful but delicate, I've had many times a tree in my driveway, or a tree limb in the driveway. My yard guy is going to prune them sometime this fall. I don't think they look very pretty pruned but he keeps hitting his head on the branches when he mows, and he tells me I'll just keep losing them unless I do something:ohwell: .

Juicygurl1:smile: congrats on the size 10 dress!!!!!! Hot flashes....I call them power surges:laugh: . Mine really aren't too bad so I try not to complain!!!

Barbie:smile: love, love, love, the dancing girl!!!! Looks like you! Wish I lived closer to you, I would love to take line dancing lesson and have you for my teacher!

Cathy:smile: 6 pillows for your daughter:noway: ,I have a temperpedic pillow and I love it, I've had it for a good two years and it's still perfect, before I would go through pillows every 6 months or so. It's a bit more expensive but I have no neck or shoulder pain anymore! I highly recommend them.

Linda:smile: Yay!!!! Great NSV....smaller pants woo hoo!!!!!

Amanda:smile: sending prayers for your cousin!!!!:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: .

Cindy:smile: Yay!!! Congrats on the 1lb. gone!!!!

I was going to report on the halibut, however when I took it out of the package to cook it, it smelled horrible:angry: , fish should not smell like that:noway: . I had just bought some frozen salmon that was marinated and decided to have that, it was so salty I only had a few bites of it:mad: , my dinner consisted mostly of garlic spinach and a salad:cry: , and this morning I was up .5:sad: . I'm sure it's the sodium, but....grrr:ohwell: , lots and lots of water today!!!
    I'm off to meet a friend for coffee today and girl chit chat, and maybe a little more shopping:bigsmile:

Hope everyone has a fun day, filled with happiness and sunshine!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Cindy, yes, lo-carb will reduce belly fat - I'm not sure how it works, but it did for me and my mom, and I've had friends tell me it did for the. Any dietician will tell you it's a hard diet to sustain life-long (at least at the levels most lo-carb diets recommend), but for the duration it will certainly shrink your tummy. It's also good in that it helps break the carb addiction (and let's face it, most of us are addicted - sweets, pastries, breads, pasta, rice, etc. are all high-carb items), so it's easier to control your carb intake and switch to healthier versions.

The first couple of weeks are hard - you might have headaches, feel ill or lethargic, and deprivation is always tough. However, once you get over the hump you can start eating healthier and with fewer restrictions. If you've been at it long enough it just becomes a way of life. I rarely eat sandwiches anymore, or bagels - but if I do I allow myself to enjoy it and just watch my carb intake the rest of the day or week. I try not to feel guilty about anything I eat - but I aim for that 90% healthy eating, and I have changed my kitchen over to almost entirely whole grains. I do keep white flour around for pizza dough, and I keep sugar, but we haven't gone through five pounds this year yet, and I still have a lot of it left. I'm working on switching us over to maple syrup and/or honey in a very moderated amount.

Anyway, I just wanted to say in my experience it will help, and it certainly will help you eat healthier regardless! Good luck.

M.
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Barbie - love the dancing graphic...made me laugh out loud...now headed to basement to work out stiffness in my back..still very sore from whatever I did to it yesterday...but I think movement is probably better for it than sitting around

Enjoy the day!
    :heart:
    Jen
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday Equinox Ladies,

Doctors visit confirmed I wasn’t dreaming, while I weighed only slightly more than the morning, she said don’t forget you are clothed now, have had several meals and half a gallon of water so you are bound to be up a little. I am still thinking I would like to get a good digital scale rather than the old fashion spinning dial that I have at present. My doc was NOT pleased with my bone density test results for my spine! I am losing bone mass so she wants me to go up to 2000 units of Vit. D and also up my calcium to 150-200 on the calcium scale on the MFP site. I am to do more weight-bearing exercises too. I have a year to step up my game or its medication time! That is worrying; my mother didn’t have the preventative care and got a compressed disc at the age of 87, very painful.

After being too good all week, I fell off the wagon. I made ribs for supper last night and I ate them (more than I should have) and I enjoyed every mouthful! I may have gained my 4 lbs back, lol! My regular weigh-in day is Monday so we will double check then.

It’s now official; my husband has registered me for conference, I am going to New York over the week of Halloween. My hubby will be the one in conference meetings every day, all day and I get to meet him for supper and the evening. New York on my own… hmmm … has anyone been there, do you have any suggestions? I like to travel but I much prefer the company of others. This time last year I did Amsterdam on my own while he was in conference and while it was fascinating I was never really, truly comfortable (complicated by a total lack of any sense of direction.) Our hotel is on the island of Manhattan near the Brooklyn Bridge.

My son still has no results from his theft; they hadn’t even checked the video tapes yet. One of them explained they kept the tapes for 2 weeks but my son replied that the faster they moved the better the chance of recovery of his lost property!! He said he then went looking for someone higher up the chain of command and she has promised to call him today. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

Well I have a few house keeping things I must get done before I am off to work; we have a new manager finally. She is quite a forceful character and I foresee interesting times ahead, hopefully good ones!

Have a wonderful day; love yourselves in all your magnificence!!
    Hugs, Kate
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Good morning ladies, :flowerforyou:

Nothing new to report here. Finally got back in the groove with 40 min. of chair exercises yesterday and did 20 minutes walking around the grocery store. First time that I actually did the shopping by myself in a long time! Knee is no better but it's not going to get the best of me! I think my spirits are better partly due to the fact that I have 2 job interviews next week and the one I would really like (a four week temp job) looks really promising. I was laid off from my job of seven years, two years age and have worked one seaonal job since, mostly due to health problems as well as the economy.

Lin - Glad you like your new pillow so far! DH and I are going pillow shopping this weekend. He drives a semi for work, so besides new bed pillows, we are going to try to find one for him to put behind his back while driving. He has back problems anyway, and the bouncing and jarring in the truck doesn't help. Also, in my area, that's how cable operates. If you schedule an appt. and don't answer when they call, you're cancelled.

M- That's what I do, keep another page open and then type comments as I read through. I used to take notes before I figured this out. This is way easier!

Kackie-I'm sure I would freak if I found a bear in my house! How did they get it out?

Kate- Ouch, twisitng the kneecap is definitely painful!:sad: Hope the brace helps your son!! Congrats on the 4 lb loss! I have 19 lbs to go still, but you inspire me to keep plugging away to get through my 200 lb brick wall! Oh my gosh, I just read about his brace and everything being stolen, how horrible! :angry: I hope they catch the person!!

Laura- Thanks for the salmon tip!

Lentigogirl- How neat that your suit (sounds cute) is stylish and you are getting so many compliments on it!

Meg-Glad you were able to get a early start to your weekend and enjoy your mani-pedi-you deserve it!

Stardancer7- Hope you feel better soon! My DD works at a school and for the first few years, she picked up every bug that went around, even caught a bad case of the swine flu a few years back. Thankfully, this year (knock on wood) she hasn't gotten sick yet.

Tigress- Hope you do well at the arts and craft fair!

DeeDee- Picturing your dog with the Halloween decorations, gave me a chuckle!:laugh: It's amazing how our pets can entertain us without trying.

Barbie-Your dancing graphic is sooo cute!

Cathy- I so agree that this group is so much better than impersonal weigh and go meetings! Everyone here shares their ups and downs, as wells as supporting each other. I was on MFP last Sept for a bit, just logging food and didn't stick with it. This thread makes all the difference to me in continuing my efforts to stay on track!:heart:

Linda-Great NSV! I love when something fits looser!

Off to get my water out of the freezer before it's frozen.:drinker: Then, I haven't decided between cleaning or good old chair exercises. Maybe both, we'll see. Or just maybe, finish the Gillian Flynn book that I've been tring to get through for weeks.:smile:
    I know, I still have to get something accomplished after I relax and read!

Take time for yourselves this weekend!:flowerforyou: Kathy
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!! Cool, cloudy morning here, but it looks like the sun might pop out later on. I'll be heading over to the gardens to harvest another bucket of tomatoes, and will be pickling peppers at some point today.

I did get a little soggy yesterday while walking the track, but not too bad. Let the damp weather begin. :ohwell: Oh, I put on my leggings that I wore underneath my rain pants last winter, and they just about fell off while jogging! :laugh: That was my NSV for yesterday. I think I can take them in on the sewing machine and make them last another year.

Might have company for dinner and cards, yay! I'll roast a chicken and a big pan of roasted beets, carrots, parsnips, bell pepper and onion.

Wow Cathy, sounds like you've got quite the place there with all of those fruit trees and grapes! Raccoons, too, lol. They're pesky little buggars!

I don't have lots of time to write since I'm on a mission to clean this messy house before going grocery shopping in an hour. Mark, get set, GO!

Have a wonderful day, just don't forget to drink your water. :drinker:

:smile: jb
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Kate- they used to have a double Decker sight seeing bus thatbtakes you all over Manhattan...when we took our kids we got a two day pass and then you can also get on and off at any of the sightsnwhere they stop. The statue of liberty is pretty cool...but if you don't care about being on Liberty Island you can take the Staten Island Ferry....it goes past it...you do have to get off the ferry..walk around the dock and get back on...have fun there are so many museums and art galleries...not to mention Broadway and off Broadway shows...there is a kiosk in times square where you can get discount tickets the day of a show, so if you are open minded about what you want to see that is a good option
    :heart:
    jen
  • janehadji
    janehadji Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    My scale finally dropped 1/2 lb. after 3 weeks! I took my own advice and did my measurements -- 1/2 inch off the waist and 1 1/2 inches off the hips. I didn't measure when I started, so this is about 5 weeks worth. I'm sure the actual totals are more, since my pants are now very large. I did have two people notice the weight loss this week, though, the first time this has happened since I started. It's encouraging to know that it's starting to show!

I, too, have been shopping in my closet and discovering things that I'd forgotten I owned. I have a huge pile of laundry to do today, as they need to be freshened up before I use them. I found several pairs of jeans with embroidery and beading, and am wondering how terribly out-of-style I'll look if I wear them. I do love glitz, but haven't seen these in quite a while. Maybe I can restart an old trend??

Laura80111 -- If you don't mind a few claustrophobic hours in luggage, I'd be happy to bring you along! I've never heard of microwave steamer bags -- will have to look for them next time I'm at the store. I think you're right about staying conscious of the remaining few pounds. My experience has been that it's far too easy to get started back in the other direction. :sad:

Junekaatz -- Huge congratulations on breaking the 200 lb. barrier and losing 4 lbs.!!!! That's marvelous! I've never heard the advice about mixing the food groups together even with snacks, but it makes sense. I'll have to think about that one.

Michele -- I always have oatmeal in my chocolate chip cookies, too. Or maybe it's chocolate chips and coconut in my oatmeal cookies?? I like that it adds fiber and gives them some semblance of being healthier. I haven't had the nerve to bake anything at all since I started this journey, as I find it difficult to eat just a little once I let myself get started.

Barbiecat -- Great graphics, as always! Yours posts are so fun to look at, as well as giving great advice. I'm truly in awe that you gave away your baking pans. That's a sign of true dedication to yourself and your goals -- I salute you!

DeeDee -- It sounds like you had a great time shopping at the Black and White Martket. They do have nice clothes! It's so rewarding (not to mention fun!) to have new sizes fit.

Kathyszoo -- I'm so sorry that you're still hurting, and hope that it lets up soon. Glad you're not letting it hold you back. Good luck with your interviews next week!

Wessecg -- 12 lbs. is a great accomplishment, and it must feel wonderful to pack away the "super fat" clothes!

Megblair -- 15 lbs.! :happy: Hooray! Hooray! Hooray! I also have a pair of "motivator" pants. They are bright pink Calvin Klein capris that I had to have -- even though I look like a stuffed sausage in them. I don't think they're quite going to work for this upcoming trip, but maybe the next one.

Kackle -- How much damage did the bear do? My neighbor left her kitchen windows open a couple years ago and also came home to a bear. He completely trashed her kitchen.

Glendalight -- I loved the all-inclusives in Playa, particularly the Riu's (mostly because I enjoyed the shows so much), but we now own a beach-front condo down there so fix a little of our own food. We have breakfast at home, lunch can be either a quick sandwich in or a restaurant, and dinner is always a restaurant. I don't want to be cooking on my vacations! We particularly like the many Argentinian steakhouses -- vaccio is wonderful! If we ever get to the point of spending months at a time there, I will probably try a little cooking.

Walker54 -- Congratulations on 15 lbs. gone -- that's terrific! :flowerforyou:
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Yay it’s Saturday. It is beautiful here and we plan to take the bikes out again. We’ll see if I can manage more than 20 minutes this time, or maybe 20 minutes without 5 breaks LOL. I have to take Benny Beagle to the vet, just for his rabies shot. The internist said it was ok to go ahead with that.

DH is shampooing carpets today. We re-carpeted the entire house 2 years ago, then got Benny from the rescue group. His foster mom said he was housetrained but she was an old lady who had nothing to do but walk him all day. Guess what? Not housetrained. He piddled all over the house. He used to drink about 1 gallon of water every 2 days, so his urine was dilute, so no yellow stains or smell until it got really bad. AND this top-of-the-line, cost-us-a-fortune stainmaster carpet? Nothing comes out. We keep trying though. We don’t’ want to replace it until we are sure that he won’t have any more “accidents” though. Plus any food stains, dirt, etc…also does not come out. So we keep working at it. :grumble:

I’m working on the book…getting worried about my lack of progress; I only have til the end of the year for it. I was lazy all week and took almost the entire week away from it. :frown:

I’m glad so many of you got a laugh out of the tobacco sauce! It may be my new secret ingredient! :bigsmile: Wonder if it has the salmon magic! I kept looking at the work “Patio” thinking somehow you were all misreading it!

DH woke me up last night and said I was kicking him. I had been dreaming about a bear and possum fighting in my kitchen! I think his leg is bruised! :laugh:

DeeDee: I love halibut…hope it has the same magical properties as the salmon does! Actually I like all seafood except for oysters, but they are ok cooked. Tobacco sauce!

MWheatcraft: believe it or not, my first degree was in English too! LOL. OK now I get the fog…that happens to me, or it used to, but I don’t eat the same way I did, so it’s not much of a problem. I was thinking you meant it made you confused or something.

Glenda: in Nebraska, we frequently rummage around at night covering plants too, although if you are like me, you think….awwww what the h***; let ‘em die! Then you sleep LOL :happy:

Jen: sorry about your friend’s dad…hope he is ok. When you get that old, anything can happen. Good for you on the tennis. I sure hope your back gets better. I hate it when mine acts up. Best wishes for feeling improved!

Wessecg: I find that trying to motivate others help motivate myself! It’s one thing to “positive talk” yourself, but if you tell someone else, well then it just has to be true!

Polly: it’s great that your trainer is willing to work with you and within your limits. There is nothing wrong with “whining” about being in pain…pain is not normal LOL. It is telling you something. Great job sticking with it even though you might have been discouraged and said no more! Fabulous weight loss.:flowerforyou:

Michele: what a good idea to cook on Sunday. I make menus and only buy what I need too. I used to take one day a month and do “marathon cooking”. Now the kids do most of the cooking, but I’ll put that idea in the back of my mind for when they are gone. Are there any foods that don’t work well just to heat them up?

Barbie: such a busy day you deserved a good night’s sleep!

Juicygurl: good job on the size 10!:flowerforyou:

Cathy: have you tried the cedar parchment paper? It’s really thin shaved cedar, but is pliable like thick paper. It adds a soft cedar taste and is yummy.

Linda: YAY on the jeans! That always feels so great. Hope you got some good rest.:flowerforyou:

Amanda: so glad you dad made it through his operation and is still with you to this day!

Cindy: congrats on the weight loss. My fitness partner and I have been taking short walks (about 20 minutes) at least once during the week and I find that I feel so refreshed afterwards, in addition to the weight loss benefits. Plus if you work at a desk it is great to get up and move around. I have read a ton of things about burning belly fat, hip fat, leg fat, etc. I find all that advice to be somewhat….hmmmm what’s the word? I think if you are burning belly fat, you are burning fat all over. I don’t think there is a key to losing fat in one particular area. I really do believe it comes down to exercising and eating less than you burn. Toning can be helpful (lifting weights for instance). But I am sure others have their opinions too (I am certainly no expert LOL). Basically find something that works for you and stick with it. I’ll be interested to see what others have to say about it!

DebA: great job on losing so that your clothes are fitting better. :flowerforyou:

Kate: take your calcium and vitamin D!!! We want you healthy and strong.:smile: I have been to NYC several times and if you are in the city, you can walk or take the subway anywhere. There is so much to do there. I’d say Statue of Liberty for sure. If you like history, go to Staten Island to the immigrant museum. If you like shopping, the garment district is fun. I am with you on traveling alone. I have to go alone to PA in October and while I want to go to Independence Hall, I’m kind of nervous about it. I think it’s a brief walk from my hotel.

Kathy: I’ll keep my fingers crossed for your job interviews. Best wishes with that:flowerforyou:

Jandjadji: congrats on the losses!!!!!!!

JB: great NSV!

Well time for me to get busy and attempt to be productive.:tongue: Have a great Saturday everyone. Take care, Meg:drinker:
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Good morning lovely ladies--

I don't want to get too excited but the scale was down 4.5 today. I know it is only because I was in the bathroom most of the night and didn't eat much yesterday but 198.5 looked really good. :laugh: :laugh: Can't wait until it is real. I'll see what the scale says tomorrow.

DH asked if I wanted to go for a walk this AM (well it's almost PM) and I really do but my hips are really hurting this morning. Don't know if it is a residual from last night or that I was in bed longer than normal. I have so much to get done and don't feel like doing anything. :sad:

I have a WW cake in the oven for a church activity later. The senior's class (70 and older) is having their annual Hobo Stew and asked DH to come and play his accordion. Don't know what will be in this "stew" but will eat a little if it looks dangerous. :bigsmile:
    It should be a fun time.

The cakes out of the oven so I better get something done.

Have a great Saturday!

Don't forget get to :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Micki
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    WHOO HOO, I broke 145, now if I can just keep it off. I hope so because not only did the scale move, but so did the measurements, so I’m hoping it’s “real”. I had scallops last night after reading JaneHadji and someone else here (sorry didn’t remember who else was talking about scallops), so maybe it’s all seafood that is magic. Great, just when climate change is killing the oceans!

MIcki – great loss (even if it due to “difficult circumstances”). Isn’t hobo stew like rock soup where everyone brings something appropriate to add to the stew and it just evolves from that. From during the depression when hobos rode the rails and each one contributed what they had managed to forage that day.

Meg – maybe the week away from the book will be positive. Sometimes when I have a long report or a grant application/business case to get done, I take time away from it and I think it sort of rolls around in my head because when I focus on it again, it just flows. The mind is a very complex machine isn’t it? Thank you for the cedar parchment paper info, never heard of it but going to look for it in cooking stores. I love you stories, they always give me a chuckle and the whole wheat one is great. With the dancing broom and the witch’s hat and the dog snapping and snarling, your house must be hilarious on Hallowe’en.

JaneHadjl - - you’re on target – embellishments are big this fall so you won’t be out of style at all. The CK capris sound delicious – what a great idea for a motivator.

Kackie – sounds like the Goldilocks story. I would totally freak out. Bears fascinate and there are a lot of them around here but never heard of one in the house (but a lady in the next town had to fight off a cougar in her house trying to get her new puppies). Mostly we have coyote problems.

Kathy – you sound like you’re feeling better – YAY. I read somewhere that drinking really cold water makes your body burn more calories when you drink it. Is that why you have freezer water or do you just like it really cold?

Kate – choke back that calcium and VitD. Take really good care of yourself so you have a long healthy life (and post here forever – lol). And how exciting to be going to NYNY! I envy you terribly. And wonderful news breaking through the 200 wall!

Lin – the landscaping for your neighbours is funny. I have a herb garden attached to my regular vegetable garden (on the other side of the 3 flower gardens) and people keep stopping when I’m out there to ask about the herbs. Even though it’s useful because I use a lot of fresh herbs, people still think it’s pretty.

Wessecg – 12 pounds is great, you don’t want to lose too fast and then yo-yo. Slow and steady means you have a better chance of keeping it off. Thank you for explaining about the rash ad, I wasn’t seeing it on my computer (I get lots of glasses ads for some reason – do you think it is those Google cookies tracking us?)

Mwheatcraft – I too can always spot others’ typos, my own – I think I tend to read what I thought I wrote so can miss mine very easily. That brain fog thing is interesting, the older I get the more I notice it. I do believe it is a reality in my life.

Polly – have fun with the closet shopping and purging. I’m hauling out the winter clothes tomorrow so then I will have a more comprehensive list of what I need to replace. So glad your trainer is working with you.

Micki – your energy level constantly amazes me. Were you always as active? I’ve been doing the weekly planning and shopping for meals on the weekend like you mentioned before, and I have to admit it really works for me. If I don’t have something planned, I might go for the quick pasta fix (well, not anymore because I think it’s all gone from the cupboards).

Barbie – love the dancing “lady of a certain age”. Your line dancing must keep you looking like your graphic.

NS Cathy – your suburban farm sounds great. Even the wildlife. I actually love raccoons but they can be really annoying and damage everything. Once place I had they thought the koi pool was their own personal fishing hole, then they would drag them over to the pool to wash them again. Finding their little dirty footprints all over the pool coping and then realizing they had eaten my decorative fish was like adding insult to injury. I didn’t restock the koi and eventually the raccoons only raided the garden.

Yay Linda on the NSV. Hope you have a restful weekend (but with exercise of course).

DeeDee – I’m doing the retail therapy today too, only I’m going to call it mall walking. Must remember to take some water with me or pick up a couple of bottles on the walk. I LOVE White House/Black Market, I hope you enjoy everything you bought. The salesladies at the one in Spokane WA are so helpful and positive.

Gail – yay on entering the 160s. After the last post I couldn’t remember where my cheques were, still haven’t found them, I think I might have accidentally packed them away with the banking records downstairs – oops. I think that actually writing out a cheque would make the spending more real somehow. Just inserting a card and pin sort of divorces one from the money transfer. Well, I’m sure that is exactly why stores love cards and refuse cheques nowadays.

Laura – your post was so wonderfully upbeat it just made me smile. Looking forward to the weekend and some me time. Your DH sounds like a keeper for sure!

Off to do some retail therapy about 2 hours away, such a nice day for a drive so I think I’ll hit a new town. Have a nice Saturday ladies, and I’ll check in tomorrow.
    Lila
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Kate - in NYC you can go to the 9/11 memorial. You have to make reservations online ahead of time, though - can't just show up. (http://visit.911memorial.org/). There isn't a required fee, but the website has an option for donation.

DH and I spent 3 hours wrestling a 350-pound sod cutter up and down the slope in our side and back yards this morning. Have not been able to find that specific activity in a calorie-burning site, but I'm here to tell you it was a workout! We got the cutting done, now have to do the raking / clean up and put down mulch. (The last time we put down mulch I counted the number of bags x the weight, plus guestimated the walking time, for weights and cardio.)

Well, I'd better get back at it out there before I change my mind! I should sleep very well tonight. At least I'd like to get the clean up done. If I do, maybe I can get over to meet Tigress at the arts & crafts show in Atlanta tomorrow afternoon. Just need to see how far I can get today.

Gail
  • carojrrn
    carojrrn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday Ladies!

Wow I miss a couple of days posting and so much to catch up on! Love that so many of you had victories this week on the scale! I stayed the same this week but my pattern appears to be a week of loss then plateau. My NSV was while I was Skyping with my DD I noticed my face looked thinner than previously. Oh well, I will take it! Spent the morning helping DH move patio furniture and close the pool and really worked up a sweat! The rest of the day will be crafting, cleaning house and grocery shopping. First night last night on the new mattress and I did sleep better. I still had neck pain but I think the pillow needs a bit to break it in.... Tomorrow I will be at the football game with DH; while I LOVE going to the games, it pretty much takes up the entire day!

Keep up the fantastic efforts everyone and enjoy your weekend!
    Carolyn
  • kackie
    kackie Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday, Dear Ladies!!!

Well....BEAR saga continues! He came back onto our neighbors deck yesterday morning and woke them up! (And yes, during his visit the day before he tore open all the kitchen cabinets and pulled out food, dishes, bowls, etc....which broke...relieved himself on their dining room rug and then ran downstairs into the basement when they came into the house. The wildlife folks had to go down and open a door to let him out!) This morning , when my DH left to go fishing, he also left the garage door open since I was going to be leaving just after he did. I opened the mudroom door to walk into the garage and THERE WAS MR. BEAR...standing in the middle of our garage. :noway: :noway: :noway: :noway: I am not sure who ran faster, but needless to say, I went one way and he went the other. :noway: :noway: :noway: I had my wits about me enough to return quickly and hit the button to shut the garage door once he left, but I have been a bit on edge walking around the house ever since! I always take my bear spray when out for a walk but now I will have it with me even when I am out in the yard! Yikes!

So far, just in the last week or so, I have seen, in addition to Mr. Bear:

2 Moose
    5-6 Mountain goats
    1 Big horned sheep
    1 mountain lion (small one...but still....)
    7 wolves
    1 fox
    LOTs of mule deer

It has been a WILD summer out here:noway:

Kate: WTG on your "break-through"! That is awesome:flowerforyou:

Have a great weekend everyone:heart: Kackie
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I have never done a purposeful low carb eating plan but when I began to keep track of calories I noticed that I could a lot more vegetables than pasta, rice or bread for the same calories and since I like to have a lot of food, I planned meals with no pasta, rice, bread, or potatoes and a huge serving of salad veggies with no dressing, and steamed veggies like spinach, green beans, broccoli, or cauliflower. I knew immediately to eliminate pastries, cookies, pizza, and pancakes. This made a huge difference in my weight loss and my overall personal satisfaction. I have always loved bread, rice, and pasta and was never moderate in the way I ate them. Today the only bread in my house is a package of sandwich thins in the freezer that I use very rarely. I found that I couldn’t be moderate with cereal so I eliminated that too, except for slow cook oatmeal that I eat with homemade no sugar added applesauce.

:flowerforyou: I have slept on a buckwheat filled pillow. I have two of them (one lives in my suitcase so I can be sure to take it with me when I travel.

:flowerforyou: Kate, when you go to NYC, be a tourist and go to the Statue of Liberty, Ellis Island, and the top of the Empire State Building and ride the subway…..those are among my fondest memories of my several trips there…..also, just walking around is an awesome experience……my daily calcium goal is 300% of the RDA and my walking goal is 17,000 steps a day…..if you don’t already have a pedometer, get one….there is research that shows that people who use pedometers walk more than people who don’t.

:flowerforyou: Kackie, your bear story makes me very grateful to live somewhere with only deer and small birds as our wildlife……I have a friend in Montana who wishes she could go walking like I do but the possibility of encountering a bear keeps her and her cats in the house…I’ll have to tell her about your adventures with the bear in the house.

:flowerforyou: Today was a no dancing day, but I was able to walk for two hours in the morning with a good friend who’s been gone to Texas for a month and then later walk with Jake who is trying to keep his step count up each day.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

868062a3p74g0ror.gif
  • jo3y20
    jo3y20 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Lila--I think you might have gotten a name wrong on your previous post. It's really hard to keep everyone straight. :ohwell: You put Micki twice. The first was me but unfortunately the second was not. :wink: :wink: You were talking about all the exercise she does. I'm guessing, but think it might have been Michelle. She does all kinds of exercise. I'm just a walker.

To all of you looking for a new pillow. I bought one at Kolh's about 4 yrs ago that I absolutely love. It's called Sleep Innovations. It's made of memory foam made for side sleepers. It's a little pricey. If I remember it's about $40 but before I would buy a new pillow every 6 months. It's is shaped to fit your neck. It took a little time to get used to it but I wouldn't have anything else now. I take it with me where ever I go.

Have a great night and wonderful Sunday!

Good night :yawn: :yawn: :yawn:

Micki
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Had a wonderful time with Violet.We went to a block party,went on a hayride and was outside all day.The weather turned out nice.
    Brought her back to her parents sound asleep,grandma`s not far behind her.
    Hope everyone had a good day!
    Good night!!
    Hugs
    jane
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,383 Member
    Options
    Did an hour of yoga today. Tomorrow I'll do pilates on the Wii (the Fit in Six program).

Don't know what it is, but my throat feels "scratchy". Well, I'll be leaving shortly for the farmers market and I think I'll probably get some honey.

Decided not to track today. I've been drinking so much tea with honey, trying to help alleviate this scratchy feeling. I'll be back tomorrow, tho

Cindy - interval training IS the best form of exercise for losing belly fat. I do try to shoot for having it at least once/week be it on the bike, treadmill or elliptical. Don't always accomplish that, tho

DeeDee, yes, we got a lot of wind and heavy rain. It's funny in a way, since we don't have decking for the pool, when the rain hit the red clay it bounced up and we got red clay in the pool. Well, there's nothing we or the pool people could do about that.

It looks like the heatpump will have to be moved. In a regular installation, a flow meter isn't installed. However, we did request one. The specs for it say that you need something like 26" of straight pipe into the heat pump. We have 4. They did ask the company who supplied it if they have one that uses a smaller pipe, but I don't think they'll have one that only needs 4". Well, that was in the original contract, so it's really their fault. Also, there are 8 jets in the spa. If you just put the water on, it comes out all 8. But if you put the blower on, it only comes out of the first 6. It's almost as if something is blocking the air from getting to the last two jets. We'll just bring it up to the pool people, but if that is the case, we can only think that they would have to dig and find out what's blocking the pipe. Hope that's not it.

DeeDee - the original builder of the house put in a Crepe Myrtle at the corner of the garage. I really would like a Bradford Pear. After the winter, I really want to see signs of spring and Crepe Myrtle's don't bloom until late in the summer. Why they put a rose bush next to the garage is beyond me. Rose bushes have thorns, you wouldn't want them scratching your car. I suspect they had this guy who does landscaping (I think pretty inexpensively) just do something to make it look saleable. So sorry about your tree

I call my hot flashes "my private Caribbean vacation"

Kate - I do hope your son gets someone to help him out. He's right, the sooner they view the tapes, the better his chances of getting his things back.

Jessica vacuumed out the spa and she and I went in it. It's so relaxing to me

jb - what a sight that would have been if your pants fell off while you were jogging. Just the thought of it makes me laugh. Great NSV

jane - I always liked to have some mini muffins in the freezer for me to munch on, but now I've found that I really prefer to have frozen grapes. I should have bought more when they were on sale!

Meg - one time I had some dream, I don't even remember it fully. But I do remember that I was fighting someone/something. Vince woke up to scratches on his chest!!! Potatoes don't freeze well, that I know. So if a soup has chunks of potatoes in it, you probably shouldn't freeze it.

Micki - what kind of WW cake did you have?

Lila - congrats on the loss!

kackie - I don't know what I'd do if I were that close to a bear.

Here's hoping everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good Evening
    @Lin. Happy that your new pillow is working so far! Hopefully you are able to enjoy some good rest now.
    @Barbie--Love the dancing girl!! :laugh:
    @Meg -- Lucky I wish I could get DH to shampoo the carpets. Also what a nice start to the weekend--Medi pedi Lucky!! :wink:
    @Kathy yay that you were able to get some good chair exercise in. Sorry you are still hurting so! :flowerforyou:
    @Jane glad you were able to have fun with Violet today!
    @Dee--sounds like fun catching up with a friend. I hope you were able to go and enjoy some shopping.
    @lila retail theraphy sounds like fun. I haven't done that in a while now.
    @Michele - Thanks!

So sorry I know I want to reply to more than this but my mind is shutting down. I have read all of your posts.

Today was just a very fun day!! Start by my friend picking me up at 6am and we head into Boise for the Women'sChallenge! It is a run, jog, walk and stroll event lots of fun. I was thinking it was 3k but it was 5k and I did it. So much fun lots of walking today. took 15 minutes to walk from the car to the start of the race than after the walk didn't plan well were we parked it took almost 20 minutes. Came home after resting a bit took Bella out for her walk and for me was able to get a really good pace going. I was surprise. Sure I am going to be sore. Any advice from those of you who are more in shape than me? I came home took a hot shower sure that will help. Am feeling a little stiff but not as bad as I thought I would.

Able to enjoy a lovely evening with my daughter. i just cherish those times. DH is at a game night with the other DH's they play really long board games like Settlers of ..Puerto Rico were 1 game can last 4 hours they meet once a month and play all of these geek games into the wee hours. But I guess there could be worst things.

This is long!!

Hope you all have a good night,
    Liz:flowerforyou: