WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• Laura80111
    Laura80111 Posts: 958 Member
    Options
    Would some of you lovely ladies please take a look at my food and exercise diaries and give me some feed back? Seems like I have been playing with the same four pounds all summer and I just don't get it. First they're here, then they're gone then they're back again. Advice and insight terribly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Ferb03

I looked at your diary and I'm wondering if you are exercising at all and you might want to start tracking your sodium, not sure how high it is. You also should look into adding some salads and veggies to your meals.

Laura80111:smile:

You can add me as a friend if you're interested.
  • cjspensley
    Options
    I'm thanking God right now! My son is at the base in Afghanistan that was attacked today. (Two marines were killed.) But he sent his wife a very brief text saying he is okay but couldn't talk. I am praying for the safety of all of the military...there and everywhere...and for the families of those who died today.

Eileen, it is such a relief to hear from him, I'm sure. Praying for all the soldiers and their families.
    Cj (an Air Force mom)
  • cjspensley
    Options

Cj:smile: I hate losing my posts to cyber space, it's one thing that really annoys me!!! What are the things your hubby snacks on? Could you try to substitute something a bit healthier? Maybe watching you get healthier will inspire him to do the same.

Deedee, I've been making out-loud comments like "holy cow, do you see how many fat grams are in this?" and he mutters something in the way of acknowledgement. He just doesn't pay attention to it. He often will eat a bowl of cereal for a snack, or ice cream (we both come from families in which ice cream is a food group all its own). He's not into salty snacks like chips or pretzels (but I love them and am trying very hard to be careful about how much of them I consume). I don't buy candy. I've been buying more fruit and yogurt, and items that come in 100-calorie packs, and he will eat it if it's in the house. He is eating way too many calories every day, and is not an active person, so he doesn't burn it off.
  • ferb03
    Options
    Thanks for you input Micki. I am just going to have to banish the dogs.
    Laura I am exercising, several times a week I ride anywhere from 10 to 50 miles at a whack. I don't track my other exercise like resistance bands or short bursts of calisthenics just because . . . just because i guess. When I work I try to remember to wear my pedometer and usually get about a mile or two of regular walking during the work day. Thanks for your input, it is always good to have others giving input:)
    Ferb03
  • kathyszoo
    kathyszoo Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    Happy Saturday!

Just checking in and marking my spot. I will catch up more when we get back tomorrow night. We went to a small zoo and walked (although very slowly) for and hour and a half. My knee and toe were not happy about but I it was a gorgeous morning and DH and I actually have never been to a zoo together so it was fun! Also, glad to report I'm still eating pretty healthy and even passed up a candy bar in favor of a peach yogurt! Ok, I'm not perfect-did have small roll and cinnamon roll both at a restaurant at lunchtime.:frown:

Hope everyone enjoys the rest of the day!

Kathy
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Hello beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I had a wonderful time at the birthday bash for the 6 year old, of course she picked a local burger place for lunch:grumble: , oh well, I had a burger, no cheese, no mayo, just a bit of mustard and ketchup, and I only ate half of it:bigsmile: , of course I did have several fries:blushing: , only water with lemon to drink:bigsmile: . Of course when I go out with them I have to sit in the middle seat between them and the entire time we're there my head is constantly moving and I'm being poked at by little fingers, I keep telling them one should sit in front of me so I can have a real conversation, but that is not to be. We took my car to lunch and I told them I was not sitting in the backseat, SIL wanted to drive and that was fine with me, so my daughter got stuck in the back middle seat:laugh: After lunch we drove to look at campers, they are trying to decide if they want one, so we got some walking done there, some of the campers we went in are really really nice, the ones they're looking at has two bedroom, a kitchen/living area,and the price on some of them, it's like buying a house:noway: . I will pass on campers, I prefer a hotel with room service:laugh: .
    I took a Zyrtec before I went to meet them, and by the time I got home I had to take a nap:yawn: . I had forgotten how sleepy they make me, I need to remember to take one before bed instead of in the mornings!!!

Got a phone call and have to run right now, will be back later!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Ferb03- When I lost the 35 pounds I was really tracking to carbs, protein and fat. It is a puzzle and a challenge to get it all in there and get enough calories. - I would also track your sodium. based on the foods you are eating it is going to be high. Although you are staying within your calories you are really low on carbs and protein. You are using most of your calories with fat. I would try switching it up a bit and aim to get your carbs and proteins closer to your goal when you do this you will need to eat more food and it will have less fat in order to keep your fat goal incheck. Also remember water water water. too much sodium and not enough water will keep those 4 pounds from going anywhere. Anyway that is what worked for me.

Also double check the foods you pick from the database. look for ones with lots of confirmations or the ones without * (those are national nutrition database entries). I was concerned the your 1 fried egg is low in calories and in fat because 1 egg not fried is between 60 and 70 (5-6 grams fat) calories depending on size and frying it usually adds 20 + calories and more fat.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,166 Member
    Options
    I'm thanking God right now! My son is at the base in Afghanistan that was attacked today. (Two marines were killed.) But he sent his wife a very brief text saying he is okay but couldn't talk. I am praying for the safety of all of the military...there and everywhere...and for the families of those who died today.

On a much lighter note, I tried the salmon experiment last night and was down 1.3 today. I don't like fish much, but I will eat it anyway if it will help me on this weight loss journey. Thanks to everyone who posts about that.

Eileen

I just got a text from Matt too. It's hard to see through the tears....

Oh thank heavens he's safe. It's great that he was able to contact you. How much longer is his deployment? Or maybe he doesn't know yet? Praying for safety for all the troops.

Lin
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello,

taking time to drop in catchup on a few posts will be back later. On my way to a Birthday party at a wings joint did go online to check out the menu and get a plan. Hopefully I can stick to it. So far today has been a good day took Bella out for a walk was able to keep up a good pace. I felt ok by the end but not as long as normal so hope to take her out again when we get back. I was able to get to the pool love it always feel great when done.

@Elieen, Sorry to hear about the stuff happening where your son is posted. Praying for him as well as all of our troops over seas.

Catchup later.

Liz
  • ferb03
    Options
    Ferb03- When I lost the 35 pounds I was really tracking to carbs, protein and fat. It is a puzzle and a challenge to get it all in there and get enough calories. - I would also track your sodium. based on the foods you are eating it is going to be high. Although you are staying within your calories you are really low on carbs and protein. You are using most of your calories with fat. I would try switching it up a bit and aim to get your carbs and proteins closer to your goal when you do this you will need to eat more food and it will have less fat in order to keep your fat goal incheck. Also remember water water water. too much sodium and not enough water will keep those 4 pounds from going anywhere. Anyway that is what worked for me.

Also double check the foods you pick from the database. look for ones with lots of confirmations or the ones without * (those are national nutrition database entries). I was concerned the your 1 fried egg is low in calories and in fat because 1 egg not fried is between 60 and 70 (5-6 grams fat) calories depending on size and frying it usually adds 20 + calories and more fat.
    Thanks so much for your input. Can you explain how I set things up to track sodium? I am so technologically challenged it isn't funny so please use think "sodium checking for dummies". And how do you find out if a food from the database has multiple confirmations? Again, keep in mind that key word "dummy"
    Thank you so so much, your experience and advice is much appreciated!
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm back, now to see if I can finish this post before my dinner is done.

Nan:flowerforyou: welcome to the group, come in often and chat with us!!!

Gail:smile: hope tonight will find you snoozing peacefully:yawn: :yawn: :yawn: .

Mwheatcrwft54:smile: congrats on finishing the P90X!!!! Yes, you can and should be very proud of yourself!!!!

KathrynCNC:flowerforyou: welcome to the group, come in often and chat with us!!! Good for you getting back on track!!!

Cindy:smile: glad you told your sis about us, have fun with your visit!!!

Janehadji:smile: I sauté my scallops in a non stick pan with a bit of spray olive oil, I sprinkled the scallops with dried dill, salt and pepper, and some lemon peel, I don't measure, just whatever looks good to me. When they are done I squeeze a bit of fresh lemon on them. I bet they would be good on the grill too! Garlic spinach goes real well with them.

JaneMartin:flowerforyou: I hope you're feeling better soon!

Grwndmatimes9:flowerforyou: welcome to the group, come in often and chat with us!!!

Carolyn:smile: hope your bike ride was fun!!! I get my walk in first thing in the morning, that way I have the rest of the day too!!!

Meg:smile: I want a tricycle too:sad: :sad: :sad: !!!! I love the story about the wine and tuna helper:laugh: .

Laura80111:smile: I'm sorry you had to walk an hour to get home, just think of it as extra exercise.

Anjoneill:flowerforyou: welcome to the group, come in often and chat with us!!!

Cj:smile: have you asked hubby to join you on MFP? Maybe it would open his eyes if he tracked calories and realized just how much he was eating.

Kathy:smile: the zoo trip sounds fun!!! Glad you're having a good time!!

Liz:smile: hope you have fun at the birthday party!!!

I think I'm caught up now, and I timed it just right, dinner is almost ready.

Have a wonderful night!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • fonitoni
    fonitoni Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Megblair- I also had the Depo- could not do the ablation since I never stopped bleeding. I did a shot and then another after 3 months and that gave me 6 period-free months and my uterus was able to become smooth again. Even though my periods returned it was no longer non-stop.
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    ferb03 - when you are on the Food tab, click on Settings. There are drop down windows to set those items you wish to track.

DeeDee - thanks for the sleeping wishes! I did go to the Y today, but did an easy workout.

Gail
  • SallyCC
    SallyCC Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    What a busy month on this board. So good to return! You guys are great!
    I am really refocusing on my priorities. I did work hard this summer on taking care of my knees and it involved (or felt like) starting over with exercise. I needed to learn that slow is the way to go. I love the PT that I have been going to and feel better about accepting that I need to be in charge of what I do with my exercise. The good news is that I feel much stronger…baby steps can be good.

Michelle….. Love reading your posts. I always feel motivated and that I learn something. I agree about the eating at night. Even when I have a very low calorie day, eating at night can really mess me up.

Barbie…love the line dancing story and the importance of never giving up. Boy….I need to hear that every so often!
    Linda… I am 56 and every so often, I get a period. That exhaustion piece is so frustrating. I told my GYN that I am the oldest kid on the playground with a period and it has got to stop!!
    Amanda…Happy Anniversary!
    Kackie…wow..congrats on your climb! How cool!
    Eileen…God Bless you and your son and family.

Have a great night,
    Sally
  • ferb03
    Options
    Thanks GardenGail! Got it all changed now:)
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Good evening ladies,

I only have a few quick minutes on my hubby's computer, must get mine fixed! Spent the day at the Creative Stitches Show here at Millennium Place. Quilting suppliers and fibre artist galore! I sat in on a few classes and boy, my head is spinning with all the new things I learned today! Wow! I have been sewing for a very long time and I found you are never too old to learn something new! I am so excited!

Good food choices however, took took a bit of a back seat; Tim Horton's muffin (390 cals. for a muffin!), granola bar, Wok Box ginger beef. Hope all that walking took care of some of the calories! Monday is weigh-in and I CANNOT have gained one more pound! Its not allowed!

Hope everyone is having a wonderful weekend!

Kate

I 've got to catch up with all of you, I have missed you!
  • fattypattybinger
    Options
    Hi Ladies. I am 52 married and have a 11 and 9 year old. Still trying to lose this weight. We all did a great deed today. We were helped with a Coastal Cleanup and we did it for over 2 plus hours. It got warm very quick. It was great to see all the bags of garbage that was collected. The kids and their siblings worked very hard. Parents as well. Everything is for the kids and it really teaches them to volunteer. My nine year this is her 44th hour of volunteer work. We will be working on more.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    June - happy happy birthday! Hope you have a great weekend

I was about a month or two shy of not having had a period for a year, and then I got it (boohoo). I'm close to a year of not having had one -- about 7 months free so far. Hoping for 5 more!

tigress - swimming with a hottie -- what an incentive! Absolutely an NSV!

kackie - that's great that you walked so much. Doesn't it feel just great when you can keep up with someone much younger? I remember at one time I took a strength training class. I was lifting heavier weights than most of the kids in the class (they were in their 20's)

cj - I hear ya about Steve. Vince worked in IT for 23 years for Mars. Admitted, he was one of the highest paid executives. When they were cost-cutting and getting rid of the high paying people, they offered him a package he just couldn't refuse. So we're here in NC now. Now we think of the people who didn't take the package at the time and really feel for them. Must be something about IT guys, Vince overate, didn't exercise (not that he does now), is on bp and cholesterol meds. Vince likes his sweets. I was at a store just the other day and Vince needed milk. they didn't carry 1% so I had to get 2%. He keeps saying "ohhh, the good stuff". But, same here, if he doesn't know that he's eating something healthy, many times he'll eat it.

Eileen - thank God your son is safe.

Nan - welcome! Glad to have ya. Tell us more about yourself. We have a place in Titusville FL, but that's on the East coast

Working on these plastic canvas coasters for Christmas for a friend. One down, five to go. Say, does anyone know what a loop stitch is???

mwheatcraft - congrats on finishing the P90X! Wonderful!

kathryn - welcome! Cindy certainly pointed you in the right direction!

janehadj - I can tell you that on the days when I go over on calories, I usually do wind up losing. But, of course, you have to watch that you don't go over by having three Snickers bars but good-for-you foods

janemartin - feel better fast. Sending virtual chicken soup (hey, it doesn't have any calories!)

grandmatimes9 - welcome!

Did Rodney Yee's Yoga Burn DVD today, then went to the Y to try the zumba. Honestly, I felt a bit like a fish out of water. Most of the people there were for one thing in their 20's or 30's. For another thing, they knew what was coming, I guess they usually go to the classes, I had no clue whatsoever. Guess maybe my best bet would be to get a DVD. Went to Petsmart to get more dry food for the cats. Glad I went, they had kittens there for adoption. Vince would have wanted them. To me, four is enough! Then I went to Aldi, I was just planning to get these bags and some turkey for Vince, but they had babybella mushrooms on sale for 97 cents. Guess what I bought? I'll probably go back, get some more, roast them and then freeze them. The way I go thru them in my salads, they won't last long!!!!

Meg - LOL about the wine with the Tuna Helper. Thanks for the smile

Laura - congrats to your hubby. Like you said, at least it's a job. What kinds of foods are you getting rid of for his low-carb diet? Truthfully, I could NEVER go on a low or no carb diet. I love my fruits way too much to even give them up for a few weeks (like you need to do on Southbeach)

anjoneilln - welcome!

ferb - I tend to agree, watch that sodium. I know it's hard, sometimes it's in places where you wouldn't think in a million years that it would be. But I can see that you've increased your veges. I'm always amazed at how full I can get on a lot of veges but for very few calories. A lot of it is trial and error, just keep an eye on things that are high in sodium and you can just avoid them in the future.

Strung some more popcorn. I'm thinking that as long as the weather is nice tomorrow, I should probably be able to about finish it up. Was so busy reading posts earlier that I almost forgot to leave for church! I had to lector, was a eucharistic minister, and took the donations for the soup pantry which I'll drop off Mon morning.

Tomorrow I'll do some aerobics on My Fitness Coach. Just something for a change.

Going to follow jb's instructions to see if I can post a pic of the pool as it is right now. Later buds!

Have a great evening everyone.

Michele
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options

Thanks so much for your input. Can you explain how I set things up to track sodium? I am so technologically challenged it isn't funny so please use think "sodium checking for dummies". And how do you find out if a food from the database has multiple confirmations? Again, keep in mind that key word "dummy"
    Thank you so so much, your experience and advice is much appreciated!

I am glad you found them both. Since eveyrone in the world inputs into the database you can get some very messed up values. So the ones without asterisk and the ones with lots of confirmations (or the ones you input using the label yourself) are the most accurate. Some people dont bother inputting things like sodium so you really need to watch that one. Its a good thing there are so many entries to choose from. :wink:

one other word on sodium. MFP defaults to 2500mg but most women our age should aim for 1500mg or less. It is tough tough tough.
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Looks like I can't figure out how to upload correctly to Photobucket. I guess I'll have to ask someone else to post the pic for me.

How will I know if the pic needs to be resized?

I couldn't find where it says IMG.

That's about as far as I got

Michele