WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR SEPTEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    Linda - thank you for the article...cold hard facts I needed to read...I am guilty of a few of the items mentioned:blushing: I know I need to re-focus...just am lacking the motivation..hmmmm..

Nancy - do you teach an all girls class? You are being a great role model for those students...can I join your class? Lol

Am on evening 2 of tea instead of snacks...now have to get the chocolate out of the office

Have a good evening..hugs, high fives and prayers
    :heart:
    Jen
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Ok Ladies I have been on hold to talk to the IRS now for 42 mins, so I decided to take advantage of this time and chat with you! I go back to the last post I made and move forward. I started on page 5 and only got to page 7 until my word document was full!
    So, some of my replies may be a little late, but I will finish the other pages after the gym tonight!:noway: :noway: :laugh: :laugh:

Viv- Oh the tricks of the scale, Sure plays a mental mind trip! Some weeks I don’t get on that mental mind trip. I can feel the difference in my clothes and my body! Hope you are doing well! The positive vibe I get vs the mind game with the scale is good to keep me going on and on like the energizer bunny! :smile: :smile:

Liz- glad that you have an honest mechanic! They are a dime a dozen these days. It’s nice to go out when we are in a pinch and feel ok about what we are eating, just need to know the calories! Good for you! I am looking forward to the day that I can buy regular size clothing also! :drinker: :drinker:

Mwheatcraft- so if you won’t loll around on the couch, I will do it for you! Today is my one day off and I fill like a “lump”. My daughter doesn’t want to go to the gym and I would just rather take a nap! Good for you on your goals of shopping and cleaning! :laugh: :laugh:

Tigress, thanks for the info about defrosting the freezer. I need to clean the freezer and the fridge part. We have 2 huge white coolers. I think they will hold everything! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Teri, hope you did well at your GS birthday party. Let us know how you did! :happy: :happy:

Tigress and Meg, I have you beat on the animal fur. We have 3 dogs and 2 cats. I will in the fur ball capital of California! Your turkey dinner sounded yummy! I hope it was good! :ohwell: :ohwell:

Anjoneill- welcome and thanks for sharing your story. I have been in those binge shoes before and at time still struggle in want to eat or binge on some comfort food to make me think I feel better. I am glad that you have a healthy out look now and can look back on where you came from. For me binging goes back to my childhood, growing up in a family with 6 kids. If you didn’t get in there and get some food, you would not get any, especially the “treats” Habits like these can be hard to change, but they can be changed one day, one step at a time! Congrats to you! :drinker: :drinker:

Eileen, too funny I think we both live in San Diego! Padres and Chargers. My girls love the Green Bay Packers. I think it has to do with how successful they have been and the boys are pretty cute! Glad that you were able to talk with DS. I am praying that all our military stay safe, during these times of middle east unrest. :smile:

Polly, you are so lucky to have such a great DH. Glad that OLD RED is still working like a charm. Tell your trainer to slow it down. These young people don’t know what it means to be older and be hurting. We can’t spring back like we used to when we were younger. I hope you are feeling better! :bigsmile:

Michele- when I see the beautiful picture of your pool and the bluish water,it makes me thirsty! Looks like you have a big back yard! I cant wait to see the finished pictures! :smile: :smile:

Rjadams- Wow the dog run and the dog house are simply amazing! Thank you for sharing the picture with us! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Jen, Have you heard from Mark yet. :flowerforyou:

DeeDee, I have never eaten parsnips either. I was reading the posts on here and they sounded kinda good.:tongue:

Lin, please tell me that you are joking about being “59” and still having hot flashes! That is a nightmare! Congrats on the weight loss! I am praying for your Dad. I see that Meg spoke to you medically about your Dad. I hope he is doing better!:huh:

AuntieBk thanks for the info on the parsnips. I will have to give them a try. That is great that you can dance for that long! You go girl!
    What does Barbara, What does AHMOD MEAN? :huh: :huh:

Stardancer, it is fun shopping with my teenage girls also. They know what they want and just go into the store to get it! Hope you have a nice trip to the states. Let me know what plus size store you find that is cheap! The store that is down here is Lane Bryant. Way too expensive. Wal Mart has cheap, plus size clothes and they are usually cheaply made, but I don’t really care. How many stretchy pants can I have when you’re a “plus size” Lol :laugh: :laugh:

Kate, congrats on your weight loss. How did it go with your Doctor! I bet he/she was happy for you! :drinker: :drinker:

Kackie, hope all goes well with your company. We will be here for you when you get back! :flowerforyou:

Sally- hope you are having a good week! :flowerforyou:

JB your camping trip sounds like so much fun1 Good for you for being aware that maybe you were getting too comfortable and decided to kick up the exercise! :drinker: :drinker:

Nancy, I am so glad that you had a nice party for your Dad and you. Sounds like your family gathering was really nice. Plus you got some heels! WOOT,WOOT! :drinker: :drinker:

Kathy, hope your knees and feet are feeling better! I still need to try out those chair exercises! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Cindy, glad that you are back home. Seems like you had a good time with your DS. Its funny how food seems to taste so much better in our minds. Good job with the one bite on the honeybun! :happy: :happy:

Wessecg- too funny about your super fat clothes and just fat clothes. Happy for you that you can throw away the super fat clothes! Congrats!!

BirdieM thanks for your positive words! I really needed to read that today. Congrats on your keeping off the weight, as this is the hardest part! :drinker: :drinker:

Laura80111- your trip counting the deer sounds so peaceful. It should be helpful that your husband is eating low carb. So, that attack bug got you too! We all get that from time to time. Glad you are back on track! :drinker: :drinker:

Lentigogirl- Do you best to feed yourself nutritionally this week! :flowerforyou:

Janie –it is so true about the water. If I think I want to eat more I have to drink water first! It does work at quenching those cravings, if we let it! :smile:

Gail ,glad the salmon is working for you. I will have to buy some more this week! Yum :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Lila, brain swelling to hormones, an excuse for everything, when not feeling well or cranky ! Lol :laugh: :laugh:

More , later, welcome to all the new ladies! Linda :heart: :drinker: :drinker:
  • Yardtigress
    Yardtigress Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    well zumba class was a bust. The Chamber of Commerce was having some kind of meeting. :sad: So now I am walking in place to get some exercise. Tomorrow is a pool day, so that is good. Thanks everyone for the wishes for a lower A1C, it should be down. I have to lower my insulin because my sugars are going lower with the diet and exercise. I just have to keep it up. Tigress
  • kittyquick55
    kittyquick55 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, I just went into menopaus at the age od 56 1/2years.
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,166 Member
    Options
    Good evening – thank you so much for holding my hand yesterday. I do appreciate it so much. IT HELPED for certain. Today I tracked down the nurse in charge of the day shift and we had a loooong conversation. The news is he is now doing better----the regular doses of Tylenol are making him more comfortable, he’s eating more, and is working with PT although still below expectations. He is not losing weight so they’re not so concerned now and he’s receiving Ensure twice a day now. He is not wearing the compression hose, they are treating the *wounds* on his feet X2 a day and he is wearing booties when in bed. Apparently his insistence on being in bed all the time coupled with the necessity to stay on his back due to the partial hip replacement didn’t work to his advantage. So thank heavens, things are looking up a bit. THANK YOU AGAIN……..you are a wonderful group!

@Barbara – when is your surgery scheduled? Heal up quickly AHMOD.

@Jen – I hope you are able to schedule some sibling tennis. I hope your schedules and the weather cooperates. Do you play indoors at all?

@Gardengail – congrats on the scale victory and on keeping up the salmon experiment. I had salmon today but I was also terrifically hungry so I ate each and every calorie allotted to me today. I usually leave some on the table so to speak so I think I may well have undone the salmon effect.

@Liz – wow, down a size is wonderful. You must have been smiling all day (and maybe today as well). Super.

@Lila – you also cleaned the windows? Wow, I cannot tell you how impressed I am. I am trying to remember when I last cleaned the windows. Perhaps spring…………of 2011.

@Robin – I am very sorry for what happened to your daughter. Trying to protect our loved ones just doesn’t work but it causes so much pain to see your baby suffer. Hugs to you both.

@Michele – it’s amazing how much you get accomplished in a day. I tried to get something straightened out on my PayPal account today and it took a major chunk of my morning for gosh sakes!!

@Nancy – congrats on tossing the cake. I’d have trouble with that (if it was gluten-free) because if it was my cake I wouldn’t want to waste it. Anyone else’s, sure I’d toss it. Haaaa. I see one of your goals is no bedtime snacks. I’m actually waking up hungry lately in the middle of the night. Since my bedroom is upstairs and everything I could eat or drink is downstairs, I just stay in bed until I can fall asleep again. Odd.

@Viv – hopefully your Korma didn’t derail you! I had to laugh, until I started looking after my dad, I had dogs. A friend of mine knows this and she still has several Poms. The funny thing is she’ll pull something out of her van or her tote to show me and most of the time, she just lets the hair on the item stay exactly where it is. I giggled last week because she actually REMOVED the hair before giving me a bookmark she had for me. What????

@Amanda – glad you had a good weekend. It sounds like it turned out much better than anticipated.

@Sally – welcome to the salmon effect and I do hope the down a lb. lasts!!

@jb – that was a very fast walk. Whew. Way to go! You’ll have to let us know what you made from all those tomatoes.

@Kathy – congrats on the results of your MRI. That is wonderful news.

@Tigress – looking forward to your report on the Zumba class. Oops, just read your post about the class. Darn, that’s too bad.

@Donna – congrats on reaching your goal. That is beyond wonderful. I can’t imagine ever getting there. All best to you and to your DH on upcoming medical treatment.

@Laura – aha, salmon again. It made me smile to read that. Hope your workout tonight wasn’t too boring without the bike ride.

@Stardancer – oh gosh, sorry to hear about the beef product. I also hope you do not get ill. And yes, I guess I have enough willpower to get myself in and out of a store quickly but if I would happen across something I really like it would be a different story I’m certain. There’s only so much a gal can do.

@Kate – it’s kind of you to offer your home and your hugs. I hope all is going well for your relative and for you (with yet another person at work).

@Linda – thanks for the article reference. I hope to get there tomorrow. A friend gave me a heads up on an IE problem so that caused me some down time to research etc. I’m following the recommendation to just skip IE for now and I’ve switched to Firefox for a while but I’ll check out the article soon. I can always use some good advice. And sorry to say no, I’m not joking about hot flashes continuing only now I am 60 and just about a week from 61 actually. Doctor just will say, they’ll end when they end, no predicting it. Lovely MAN.

@Jane – sorry to hear that you’re still not feeling well. I hope things are on the upswing. Hooping tomorrow will be better.

@Carolyn – your meal sounds lovely. Isn’t it nice when you make something and it turns out just tasty and what you wanted? Glad no tornados came your way.

@Meg – your life is so super packed I don’t know how you keep everything straight! Sounds like you had a good high protein day. Glad you didn’t have any headaches. Super. Thanks for all the info you passed along for me. He is 88 ½, has had a major stroke (2008), & had a number of dementia issues before this happened. They are feeling more positive about his direction now. I’ll keep calling people; I’d like to find his PT person. Getting older as they say, is not for wimps. Change o subject----good luck with dinner. Maybe it be delicious (and peaceful).

@DeeDee – yippee, Halloween decorations. What fun those can be. It sounds like your home will really be IN THE SPIRIT. Pun intended……..

@Barbie - thanks for all the info you provide on good books to read, practical tips on this journey to better health, as well as cute graphics and keeping this thread rolling along.

Wishing everyone well.

Lin

Lin
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,166 Member
    Options
    Linda - are you still on hold with the IRS????

Lin
  • Edol52
    Edol52 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    So, I just joined myfitnesspal and it sounds like everyone is doing really well with it! Hopefully this will finally be the thing that will motivate me and keep me accountable! I noticed I am exercising more just so I can stay within my calorie limit. I'm so excited to be getting into shape.
  • wessecg
    wessecg Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I just had my first binge!!!! The snackwell cookies were sitting next to me and I ate 3 extra ones after already eating 3!!! That was my first time eating unplanned food in 40 days. I don't want to give in like that. I know from past experience that it gets easier and easier to "have extra" once you start doing it. I wasn't hungry, I just sat there and mindlessly ate them.

Ok, I've confessed my sins, I'm going to go say my Hail Mary's now. :tongue:
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello all, and welcome to Terrific Tuesday evening,

The left-over cake went into the garbage as soon as I got to school :wink: before I started running low on energy and possibly gave in to temptation. Whew.

I had a tune-up with Tia the Trainer today and she when she was explaining how to “stack” my shoulders she stopped and said , “Wow, you’ve got pipes.” Huh? Oh, she meant I have muscles in my arms. OK, I get it. :noway: Old lady learns new gym-talk.

Tigress – so sorry Zumba was cancelled -- or did you have to go to the meeting?

Congratulations Donna B, on reaching your goal. :flowerforyou: Three twenty year olds???? I agree about the exercise part of the life-style change. Who is this strange women who chooses to go out for a walk/run on a Sunday evening? Moi?

Stardancer – great news on the 1” off your waist. :flowerforyou: You’ll be needing new clothes soon!

Mcheatcraft54, thank you for sharing the good news about the calorie count in Muttar Paneer – I love it, and I will look for a good recipe or package ASAP

Kathy! So glad to hear your MRI is clear.:drinker: What’s Citizen’s Police Academy?

Carolyn, I have looked at Skinnytaste recipe’s and thought they looked pretty good, now you’ve got me inspired to try the meatballs! Glad to hear that DH was pleased with it too.

Meg, I hope the supper turned out OK with DD#1 and DH working together. Good for you to take time for yourself and climb on to that elliptical.

DeeDee, I’d love to have you come and decorate my classroom for Halloween! :laugh: Carrot soup, what a great idea for this time of year. I like it, but I’d probably eat it anyway just because I love the colour.

Jen, I teach a class of 24 11/12 year olds, 8 boys and 16 girls. A half-dozen or so of the girls are very self-conscious about their size and shape. They have trouble getting involved in anything “physical”. I’ve been trying to build up their confidence and get them more active. Today I joked about “getting our jiggly bits moving” and I thought they would die from embarrassment and giggles :blushing: After that, they ran just to get away from me! :laugh: Whatever works, I say!

Wessecg, you may have given in once, but once in 40 days is a pretty good record. :drinker: You won’t back-slide because you know what it’s like to eat sensibly.

OK, time to get back to my “routine chores” and get the kitchen tidy and the lunches made.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy

September goals:
    No bedtime snacks, no second helpings!
    Get the routine chores done – no procrastination!
    24 hours of exercise in the month. Total to date: 13.6 hours
    Be a role model of healthy living for my students.
  • glendalight
    glendalight Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hello ladies!

Kate - you made 200! Good job! that wall is coming down! (and someday I will join you in the 20 pound celebration:love: )

Wesscrg - I loved your clothes categories - superfat, fat, normal and skinny:laugh: And you are going down the category - good work! ( You must be one organized lady!!)

Lila - what a full Sunday you had.- you accompished SO much. It makes me feel just a litttle bit lazy:blushing:

Robin - I understand your hurt for your daughter. Once a mom, always a mom, and they are always our babies, especially when they are hurting. Their pain is hard on us too.

Barbie - those old photos can be an inspiration both ways, can't they? It is either "Who is that thin woman with my children?" or "Was I ever really that big? and how did I let it happen?" I am going to have to check out your book recommendations - sounds interesting.

Nancy - Good job on the runs with your students. You are doing so much for their self esteem and are being a good example of lifestyle activity. You have no idea what impact that may have on one of these young women. Thanks for investing the time and energy.

Donna - it is an inspiration to see you achieve your goals. Thanks for the encouragement! It is interesting how the eating and activity habits become the new normal. Here is to the new you, and us!:flowerforyou:

Stardancer7 - Good work on the lost inches. the changes don't always show up in the pounds!

Kate - love your 'open house' policy. I am sure she will appreciate the offer and you will be blessed as well.

I made it too the aquacise class yesterday, in spite of the construction detour that almost convinced me to go home to my relaxing cup of coffee. Today was a tight schedule but managed to get the bike out for 20 minutes and enjoy some of the warm sunshine. I took family dinner to my daughters today, but toted along some baked fish in order to avoid the ham/sausage and schwartzy potatoes....success!!

Have a great evening all! g
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,391 Member
    Options
    Nancy - that is so wonderful what you are doing with those girls. I'm truly impressed. Increasing the time little by little, fantastic!

Yesterday I did take one of those "samples" of an apple thumbprint cookie, took one small bite out of it and threw the rest away. It didn't appeal to me at all. Go me! The Newcomers has a mahjongg group. I just went in there one day, observed and then jumped right in. I made plenty of mistakes, but that's the way to learn.

For the cat owners: Vince was reading this in his copy of "catnip" magazine. Have you ever seen a cat open its mouth and no sound comes out? That happened with Lexi, and we honestly thought it was due to the fact that she couldn't meow due to the abuse and her having air in her trachea. Well, it seems that when cats do that, what they are really doing is emitting a very high pitched sound, so high that we can't hear it but their mother can.

Did 50 minutes of Denise Austin's bootcamp DVD. Tomorrow I'll go to water aerobics, then senior bowling. The Newcomers bowling league also starts so it'll be senior bowling, come home to grab something to eat, then back to the bowling alley. Thank goodness we live so close!

I'm planning later this morning to go to the bank. They sent me a new ATM card with a note saying that my PIN would come in a separate letter. Well, I thought it would be the same as the card that they're replacing. I tried to use it as a debit card and it says that I have an invalid PIN number (I used my old one). I have no idea what the new one is but I'm going to ask them to change it to the old one. Then off to play mahjongg. Bunco here tonight,

jb - when I subbed for the paraprofessional in the Home Ec dept, we didn't have a break between classes either. What I would do is bring snacks and leave them in the closet, then go to the closet and pop one in my mouth.

Carolyn - I have a recipe for turkey meatball sauce and I'm quite surprised at how juicy the meatballs are.

Meg - some people like the music in exercise class loud, I think it's a personal thing. To me, too loud is very demotivating but I just control that by using earplugs. Wish they had a step class here, so I just have to use DVD's for my stepping. As for the orange oatmeal cookies:
    1 cup butter, softened
    1 cup granulated sugar
    2-1/2 tsp baking powder
    1/4 tsp salt
    2 eggs
    1/4 cup honey
    3-1/2 tsp finely shredded orange peel (set aside)
    1/4 cup orange juice
    2-1/2 cup AP flour
    3 cups rolled oats
    1-1/2 cup powdered sugar
    3 Tbs orange juice
    Preheat oven to 375. In a large bowl, beat butter with an electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds. Add granulated sugar, baking powder, and salt. Beat until combined, scraping bowl occasionally. Beat in eggs, honey, and the 1/4 cup orange juice until combined. Beat in as much of the flour as you can with the mixer. Using a wooden spoon, stir in any remaining flour. Stir in oats and 2 tsp of the orange peel.
    Drop dough by rounded tsp 2 inches apart onto an ungreased cookie sheet. Bake in the preheated oven for 8 to 10 minutes or until lightly browned. Transfer to a wire rack; let cool.
    For icing: In a small bowl, stir together powdered sugar, the 3Tbs orange juice and the remaining 1-2/2 tsp orange peel. Brush icing over cooled cookies. Let stand about 30 minutes or until set.
    Makes about 60 cookies

DeeDee - carrot soup sounds wonderful!

Big welcome to everyone who is new! I know you'll love it here, everyone is so supportive!

We had bunco at my house tonight I really don't mind it at all. I made shrimp bites (actually, I had them in the freezer and wanted to use them up), for dessert we had some of the orange oatmeal cookies I made and cantaloupe. I must admit, tho, that when everyone left, I finished up the rest of the shrimp bites, someone left some shrimp, and then I had a few cookies. But I'm thinking that the calorie count was probably in the range of the calories that I added. At least I hope so. It's so hard to tell sometimes. But I must say that previously I woud have just eaten and eaten, now I just had a little and I'm satisfied.

Well, gotta go take a shower.

Everyone have a great evening.

Michele
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,980 Member
    Options
    ChubbyBarbie.jpg

chubbybarbieandsweater.jpg

Barbieandtheredsweater2.jpg

Before and after

:bigsmile: Barbie
  • lioncrab
    Options
    You are truly an inspiration! Thanks for posting your pix.
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday evening all you inspirational ladies. This will be a short post as it’s the start of book club again so tonight we go out for Chinese and set the book list. Not only that, but I had a shared birthday lunch with friends so had a roast chicken croissant. Thought I was doing good there but unfortunately the croissant was a killer. Someone on here said it’s a learning experience. …

Robin, the BF will disappear and be replaced with something better. If we could fix all our children’s woes, they would learn nothing. Look back and remember and pretty much your best learning experiences were sometimes painful. Still makes you want to go kiss their boo boos though……

Barbie – parsnips, yuck yuck, cannot abide the horrid little rotten carroty tasting things.

Michele – I can just imagine Robin’s doghouse all decorated for the holidays. What is bunco?

Barbara – just rock that “pirate scar” and I really don’t think you will have a permanent sneer. Thank God that the surgeons are so talented. No, CAO stands for Chief Administrative Officer, we call our accountants CFOs (and I’m that as well – I should be called GD for General Dogsbody cause I get to do all sorts of strange stuff).

Kathy – YAY to breaking 20.

Nancy – I will definitely take you up on the restaurant list. I did stay at the Manteo and had a wonderful dinner at the Wild Apple. I understand there is a great vegetarian restaurant somewhere along Pandosey but haven’t seen it yet.

Donna CONGRATULATIONS on reaching your goal. And your post made me feel I can do this too. Especially the exercise part as I’m having problems with the formal exercise idea. Prayers for your husband.

StarDancer7 – where abouts are you located? Northern Ontario? Manitoba? Love the heart quote, it’s so true.

Jane – glad you’re back, sorry you are still under the weather.

Kathy – great on the good doctor’s report. Citizens’ Police Academy class sounds interesting…..

Back from the book club, I had a great Chinese meal, spicy squid, squid and mushrooms, beef and green beans and a very little fried rice – it all tasted so good and I’m sure was full of sodium. More water tonight I guess. Well, I have my next 10 books to read and looking forward to getting them all. We do one night a month and whoever’s book it is leads the discussion and has to provide the snacks. I guess I will have to find something healthy to take along because I know all the club girls will bring wonderful baking that I will have to resist. ARGHHHH

Off to bed early tonight, nothing on TV and I’m tired and looking forward to reading, right after I give the dogs their final walk of the night.
    Pleasant dreams ladies.

Lila
    PS this didn't turn out to be a very short post did it?
  • auntiebk
    auntiebk Posts: 2,520 Member
    Options
    Good night lovelies,
    The room between kitchen and hall that started out as a sitting room (it has a fireplace), then a library, is now merging into an exercise/play/dance practice room complete with wii fit, gym and yoga mats, yoga props, resistance bands, wall mounted TV and yes now even some weights, but with nowhere to put a (shudder) mirror. Today Joe moved the buffet from the former library into the living room and by this weekend the mirror will be up. Running out of excuses, might have to start using all this stuff!

Viv Chicken korma is not as bad as Indian butter chicken, calorie-wise at least, don't think either is really bad, just too good!:ohwell:
    Amanda the VIP treatment sounds great, the drag queen not so much. Went to Finocchio's once back in the 70's and while the quality of the talent was incredibly high, I came home somehow depressed. :indifferent:
    Sally I love the expression "god-sisters". :love: They are a lucky bunch of gals to have you for god-mum.
    jb "snack on the fly" yuck!:sick:
    Kathy Hooray for back on track! :drinker: Salud for decluttering! :drinker: :drinker: HAPPY DANCE for the good MRI.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
    Nancy Thanks for the "dimple", when the time comes I'll hold on to that thought! That and the jiggly bits...:laugh:
    Tigress Bummer about the CofC preempting Zumba.:grumble: Hoping the next Zumba class is one of the fun:laugh: -and-not-snooty/crowded ones. I LOVE Zumba, but there are no classes at a convenient time and location for me. Will try wii Zumba game again soon.
    Donna B Con VERY VERY VERY gratulations :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: on making your weight goal! Well done!
    We have some real maintenance experts here (BarbieCat, Amanda and VickieM to name a few). So glad you found exercise you love in time to build a foundation to sustain you through the rough patch coming your way. :cry: Hugs.
    Laura (and Nancy and Meg and DeeDee and Lin):love: thanks for the good thoughts. Surgery isn't scheduled for over a month so I'm just not going to think about it at all! Just call me Cleopatra, (Queen of denial), :ohwell: when you're not calling me an AHMOD (Ageing Hippie, mother of dogs).
    Kittyquick I started menopause (aka the decade of anger) 20 years ago at age 42. After 5 years of no periods, I had a doozy, heavy flow, pain and wait for it... PIMPLES! :noway: Honestly, cramps, pimples, tears, anger and hot flashes all at once, whose bright idea was that? :angry: Don't miss the periods one tiny bit... but can still flash hot once in awhile. Not so bad during the 7 months of Idaho winter, but during the 2 months of triple digit temps, it really really REALLY stinks.
    Stardancer7 congrats on an inch tinier waist! :flowerforyou: That has way more health benefits than a pound on the scale.
    Kate what a great cousin-in-law you are!:heart:
    Thanks for the link Linda, I recognize myself in many of the "Why's":grumble:
    Carolyn hope you find the right pillow soon, neck pain is so draining.:cry:
    Meg taxes behind you Hip hip HOORAY! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: Oh noo, you actually TOLD your hubby about the dusty smoke detectors, cute firefighters plan???:noway: :noway: :noway:
    DeeDee stairs and decorating, sounds like a fun burn!:happy:
    Jen, me too, both the battle and the cold hard facts recognition.:grumble:
    Lin if FIreFox "fixes" your internet issues, sounds like there's malware somewhere on board. :explode: go here,
    http://download.cnet.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html
    download, install, scan, and after the scan be sure you find the tab or button that REMOVES all the malware it found... (sheesh you'd think it would do it automatically, but noooooo):noway:
    wessecg consistently eating mindfully is the key but its slippery and hard to hold. At least it was only 3 snackwells and not a bag of chocolate covered marshmallow pinwheels!:tongue:
    Glenda aquacize, biking and scwartzy-potato avoidance, well done!:flowerforyou:
    Michelle " emitting a very high pitched sound, so high that we can't hear it but their mother can" That makes me so sad,:cry: that our cats are calling to their far away mothers, sometimes I know just how they feel. :sad: Thanks for the orange oatmeal cookie recipe! and doncha just HATE it when the banks change your pin without telling you what they've changed it to? Grr!
    Barbie, thanks for the inspiration. :love: You have transformed yourself!
    Lila, I'll eat all the parsnips,:heart: you can have all the squishy slimy inky ol' squid.:sick: Eeeuuuuww!

cathy, gini, mwheatcraft, Jane, yoyonomore55, lioncrab good to hear from you all

Welcome momof4greatkids, Edol52 and all other newbies!

I'm staying up way too late enjoying my wine and reading everyone's posts. :yawn:
    Sleep sweet, all!

Hugs,

animal-emoticon-0064.gif
    Barbara, the AHMOD who WILL be size 10 one day

September I resolve to be good to myself:
    eat 7 servings fruits + veggies
    invest 20 minutes in SWSY or on the mat and 10 minutes decluttering
    moderate to 1 glass wine per night (Sat + Sun allow 2 beers/day)
    figure out this darned HRM and uset it at least once
    smile, don't yell...
    2012: dance more, bark less and check in!!!
  • wizzywig
    wizzywig Posts: 1,246 Member
    Options
    :ohwell: Just a very very quick one, I need to pop to the vets before work this morning to collect our old cat's thyroid meds. Also need to tell them that we are trying to get a urine sample from said cat, but he's not cooperating trying to get one is proving almost impossible, (we don't want to collect one of the kittens pee instead :bigsmile: :bigsmile: ) :ohwell: :ohwell: Don't want them thinking we don't care! Oh our poor little kitties have been mewing for their mummy we thought they couldn't mew for some reason, although little Maggie is now mewing when she's hungry, Logan can only manage a small squeak.

:frown: So much to do and I'm not really in the mood for a long walk to the vets before work, but it has to be done so I'd better put my best foot forward :laugh: :laugh:

:embarassed: Fell off the wagon again yesterday, don't know what happens to me I can't seem to get back on once I've fallen off. We had Kit Kats on our desks yesterday, I resisted for most of the morning but in the afternoon I had to have a look /bite as they were special ones and one had a lucky number in and I could have won some money :bigsmile: EXCUSES! then Elaine brought cakes in because she has just started back at work with us and I had a bit of a caramel slice another excuse ! I did do well in the fact that I cut the caramel slice into 4 pieces and only had two bits (one with my morning cuppa and one with my afternoon cuppa) but when I put everything into my food diary there were too may empty calories and not enough nutritional calories. Back to the drawing board.

Well must dash or I'll never get to work.

Take care everyone.
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Yawn...

Its the wee small hours of the morning and my mind is turning over non-stop.Our cousin is recovering after 10 hour operation to remove his voicebox and a cancerous tumour from his throat! Luckily his wife has been able to procur the family room for sleepovers right now but perhaps we can entice out our way soon.

Its a good thing I couldn't sleep, I just heard a frost warning for our area so I got up and covered all my tomatoes with fabric from my sewing room, its 2am and I am wandering about outside in my housecoat and slippers. lol! I usually use packing blankets but they are out in the garage and that place is dangerous in the daylight, let alone in the dark! I may lose some of my herbs and flowers but the tomatoes were my one big concern as there are still so many on the vine.

Maybe now with that diversion done I can finally catch forty winks before my hubby comes home in a couple of hours and disturbs the household once more.

Sweet dreams, mes amis.
    Kate
  • LindaS175
    LindaS175 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Meg- your house sounds like mine in the evenings! No one wants to make dinner. I try to make it before I go pick up girls from school and before I start work. Has not been working well lately. I also have the same problem with the litter box. I usually have to nag the girls until it gets done. At what age do they finally do the chores on their own!! Hope your dinner was good with DD#1 and your DH. Having a thyroid problem is really overrated! It would only be good if one was hyperthyroid! Lol :laugh: :laugh:

Robin- that must be so hard for you re; your daughter. I am scared about that too, but all we can do is teach them the best we can. Sometimes, they have to make their own mistakes to learn. I am praying that you will be comforted. :ohwell: :flowerforyou:

Barbie, Glad that your friend found a long term house sitter! I am going to have to get that book, Happier at home!!! Its shocking for me to see any pictures of myself being so huge! I guess not looking at myself is how I got to be so big! One would think that looking at these photos would be motivating to be more vigilant, but somehow it does the opposite! your before and after pictures are very motivating, thank you for sharing.:drinker: :drinker:

Michele, be careful eating cookie/brownie dough with raw eggs in the batter. If your eggs are infected with salmonella you will get vomiting/diarrhea etc. It is amazing that as kids we ate raw cookie dough all the time. I don’t remember anyone ever being sick. :tongue: :tongue:

Nancy, congrats on your fitness goal. I am so happy to hear that your girls are doing well. I am also glad that they have you as a positive healthy role model, Not too many healthy role models out there today for young girls these days. Sounds like you need a plan for Monday and Wednesday evenings. You need some fillers, maybe some raw veggies, or drinking hot tea, and no eating until you sit down for the meal? I don’t know you will have to find something that will be easy and work for you. You can do this, yes you can!! :drinker: :drinker:

Amanda, so glad that you had a fun time at the hen party. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall and watch all the shenanigans! Now, you can get back to your routine and just look forward to the wedding! I missed seeing your posts here on MFP. :laugh: :laugh:

Sally, so nice that you have a close relationship with your niece and God daughters. It is a blessing these days! :drinker:

JB –so how do you put up salsa? I know how to make salsa, but never thought about making it to save for later. How does it keep? Nothing better than home made salsa! Please, educate me! :tongue: :tongue:

Kathy, congrats on your weight loss. Thanks for reminding me about house cleaning. It really needs to be done, but it just kills my knees and hips! It does burn the calories though! :ohwell: :ohwell:

Yardtigress, - can you eat whole wheat pasta or other whole grains. There are lower on the glycemic index. Hope your A1C is where you want it to be! :tongue: :tongue:

DonnaB- congrats on making your goal weight and now loving your exercise. I am so happy for you! I will be praying for your DH that all goes well and he will have a speedy recovery. :drinker: :drinker:

Laura80111-congrats on your DH getting a job. It is so hard to find a job these day , so I hope all goes well with his job. I work during the evening, so the walks are out now with the family. We also used to take walks with all the dogs in the evening, but have had to change this with my work hours. I hope you find a nice exercise that you can do by yourself! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Stardancer7 –what you quoted about having children is so true, I still have mine at home, but the 15y/o is talking about driving and going to do stuff by herself. I told her I was going to have her implanted with a GPS tracking device! Lol- not because I don’t trust her, its just all the other harmful people in the world. Yes, my heart was just ripped out! :heart: :brokenheart:

Kate, so kind to offer the food and shelter! The world needs more people like you! :drinker:

Jane, hope you are feeling better soon! :flowerforyou:

Kathy, that is AWESOME news about your MRI! You must have been dancing on the clouds with the news! Good luck with your police academy class!! :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:

Carolyn, I know what you mean about being able to share your nursing knowledge. The student was lucky to have you to share that info! I am going to have to look for more recipes on skinnytaste. I need to find picky kid friendly recipes! Happy to hear that your area was spared the tornado. :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

DeeDee, your decorating sounds like so much fun. I did have some Halloween decorations when the girls were younger, but storage is the problem. Can’t have too many things to store in the “man garage”. Out here where I live in So Calif, we don’t ger many kids coming door to door. Must be some dog that likes a hair dryer! Lol :laugh: :laugh:

I am glad that some of you enjoyed the article on ‘reasons why your not losing weight” I enjoyed it too. :bigsmile:

I had my one day off and did not get a lot done. One daughter to an apt, the other one to school and then home to sit and talk to the IRS, Oh I mean be on hold for the IRS. After almost 3 years we might have a resolution here in the next 3 weeks. Pray that we get the refund we are due! It would be a nice end for all the stress, worry and frustration of the last 3 years. The house is a mess, laundry needs to be done. I choose to sit and read your notes, got my butt to the gym, even went alone and then went grocery shopping after picking my oldest daughter at school after her out of town volleyball game. Now it is 0100 and I have caught up on all the posts. :drinker: :drinker: :yawn: :yawn:

I must thank all of you for sharing your lives and making me stay on track and wanting to be better each day. It is time to go to bed and try and get a good nights sleep. :smile: :smile:

Praying for all of you or your family members that need comfort and strength!
    May all of you lovely ladies have a healthy and good Wednesday caring for yourselves!

Hugs to all, Linda :heart:
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ,

Wow I think I am all caught up miss last night, came home from work late not feeling very good. Its like 3 steps forward 1 step back type thing the other day for my workout did Richard Simmons "sweating to the oldies Vol 2. Really low impact felt good after it yesterday was volunteer day at work lots of walking. I was and am hurting so . Up again because the aleve wore off. Hoping this dose kicks in fast so I can get some more sleep in before work today. Today is dress like a pirate /talk like a pirate day if you do such and go to our local Krispie Kreme free donuts yup that is the activity my bosses want us to take our clients to today than to park. I half to do this Krispie Kreme thing twice one for the day group than repeat for the after schoolers. I have offer to clean the supply closets instead but they have not accepted my offer.

@Michele--I like Bunco fun game.
    @Robin so sorry to hear about your daughter
    @Nancy Congrats on your fitness goal!
    @Barbie--Wow thanks for sharing your before and after photos. Truly inspiring!!
    @Kathy Congrats on your weight loss. Housekeeping is underrated and I always feel so accomplished after its done.
    @Amanda Sounds like a fun time was had at the Hen Party.
    @Sally what a special relationship you have with your goddaughters.
    @Barbara sending Good thoughts your way for surgery. How cool turning your room into your own gym!
    @Laura80111--I was thinking as I read your post making adjustments in your evening workouts. I too work into evenings getting home some nights arround 8pm your situation is a bit different but I have start to make plans for as the time changes evening getting dark sooner and colder weather coming.
    @Donna--Congrats on reaching your goals
    @Dee-- Your Halloween decorations sound fun
    @Lila--It is a learning experience. A new start. I am still learning what true serving sizes look like and realising in the past before this my portions of food was so not one serving but more like double/tirple that in my 1st helping I to am surprise by some of the things I think are ok really how many calories are in them. It is a learning thing we will get a handle on this.
    @Lin--Glad to hear that you are getting some good news about your Dad.

Well that's it for now. Going to make one more attempt at some sleep.

Wishing you all a nice Wednesday.

Liz
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    Hello all, and welcome to Wonderful Wednesday! :happy:

Today’s the day my students perform a group jugging routine for the school – it’s part of a lesson about how our brains can be trained to improve reaction time & skills --- if we focus and if we practice. Fun, huh? We’ve been practicing since the first day of school and we don’t drop too many bean bags now. :happy:

Glenda, you are the queen of squeezing exercise into the corners of your day :drinker: aquacise and biking too. Well done.

Old photos! The picture on my Rec Centre pass shows me at my heaviest. If I ever need inspiration I just have to look at that and think about Barbie and Amanda's transformations.

Michele, I am going to make the orange-oatmeal cookies for the playgrounds leaders group at school (and I will share with J’boy too :wink: ) they sound tasty and they are healthy too, as cookies go.

Barbie, I love the fact that you have a TV remote in your hand in the before picture – there’s less of that now, I think!

Oh, Lila, Wild Apple was where we went for my Dad’s dinner the year before last, when it was just the four of us. That was amazing – the best mussels ever. What book did you pick for the club? I’m always looking for recommendations.

Barbara, your sitting room-library-fitness room sounds fantastic.

Wizzywig, I cannot imagine collecting a urine sample from a cat. No, not at all. :noway: Don’t beat yourself up about the “fall” off the wagon. Good for you, logging everything. You will get back on track because you know where it takes you and you like it there!

Kate! I hope you got a little sleep after your early wander in the garden. Can you count that on your exercise plan for today? :laugh: Good to hear your cousin is on the recovery side.

Meg & Linda - my girl (now 25) never did the chores on her own. At some point she started doing her own chores, but she seldom pitched in to help on a family level. She’s kind of an exceptional thing, though, and I had to pick my battles. Forcing her to load the dishwasher was low on my list. Trying to be sure she didn’t smoke anything but cigarettes, stayed away from hard drugs and didn’t drive after drinking was more important, and being on speaking terms was most important of all. If it were possible to implant a GPS I would have,:ohwell: instead I got her a phone and every night I’d say “Call me if there’s trouble” and she’d say “With my dying breath!” :laugh: :sad: She's OK now.

I like the raw veggies while preparing dinner on Mon/Wed idea. Today I’ll pull a pile of sweet peppers (they need to be eaten) out of the fridge and snack on them while I am prepping the tuna for the grill.

Linda, one of my operating principles is “Life is More Important than Laundry”. So good for you, going to the gym instead.

Liz, you can go to the donut shop and not eat anything, ARR me hearty, yess you can! :flowerforyou: (I would insert a pirate picture here if I knew how!)

After school to the gym to practice all the new things Tia taught me yesterday. I've said it, now I have to do it :explode:

Hasta pronto,

Nancy

September goals:
    No bedtime snacks, no second helpings!
    Get the routine chores done – no procrastination!
    24 hours of exercise in the month. Total to date: 13.6 hours
    Be a role model of healthy living for my students.