Can organic food help you lose weight?

Options
My freind told me today that if you eat all organic food you will lose weight. Is this true?

Replies

• Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    My freind told me today that if you eat all organic food you will lose weight. Is this true?

LOL,

no. Losing weight is a result of an energy deficit. Since organic foods have the same calories as non organic food, they aren't any different from a weight loss perspective.
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    Organic food has been scientifically proven to offer no measurable benefit to ones diet..

however it will have a significant impact on your wallet.

i can provide sources if you wish, or you can take my word for it.

your friend has unfortunately fallen victim to the cloud of misinformation surrounding organic food.
  • katy84o
    katy84o Posts: 744 Member
    Options
    I wish. If it were true, I wouldn't be over weight. Anyway, I think that by eating organic it leads to wanting to make healthier choices, which eventually might lead to losing weight. But an organic frozen Amy's pizza isn't much different then any other frozen pizzas.
  • rivka_m
    rivka_m Posts: 1,007 Member
    Options
    Well since it's more expensive perhaps buying less food will lead to weight loss.

Otherwise no. The arguments in favor of organic have nothing to do with nutritional value or weight loss.
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    I guess it does stop your buying too much food cause its so damn expensive lol!

so... maybe if your on a budget it would...
  • 3foldchord
    3foldchord Posts: 2,918 Member
    Options

I would say yes- if you are eating less of it calorically than what you are burning, so there is a deficit--- just like with non-organic food.
  • Birdie
    Birdie Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Sure, when you get e-coli and your body contents are shooting out both ends, you will lose weight.
  • zhidecitta
    zhidecitta Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    The only measurable difference with organic foods as far as the consumer is concerned is pesticide levels. It doesn't have anything to do with nutrition or weight loss. It's pretty well documented. The only reasons to buy organic are to support different agricultural practices or to reduce pesticides in your diet.
  • dominikaro
    Options
    Definitely not. Eating 600kcal orgainc burger is no better than 600kcal non organic burger (for your weight).

Eating less and working out will help you loose weight.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    Organic food has been scientifically proven to offer no measurable benefit to ones diet..

your friend has unfortunately fallen victim to the cloud of misinformation surrounding organic food.

Unfortunately, a lot of "science" that suggests there is no difference, is sponsored by Big Agrigculture (for obvious reasons). Investigate your sources. Other more independent studies have found significantly higher levels of many nutrients in organic foods. That's why it tastes better and, since it is more nourishing, one is satisfied with less (in addition to skipping the toxins that Big Agriculture includes in their versions).
  • Kara52217
    Kara52217 Posts: 353 Member
    Options

LOL So Correct Here ^^^

There have been studies and numerous articles in recent weeks stating no Benefits to eating or Buying Organic except decreased funds in your bank account
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    No. Nutritionally, organic food is pretty much the same as conventional. People choose organic because they dislike the use of artificial pesticides. That being said, I remain skeptical that artificial pesticides do any harm at all, and would also like the remind people that organic produce uses pesticides and stuff as well, just different kinds, and often times in much higher amounts (because they're less effective).

Honestly, if you want the best produce, buy local, organic or not. Local produce does not travel as far, so is fresher and ripens naturally, as opposed to what you buy in the store. Keep in mind the organic produce you buy in the supermarket still may travel several hundred of miles and may have been picked over a week ago.
  • SanteMulberry
    SanteMulberry Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options

LOL So Correct Here ^^^

There have been studies and numerous articles in recent weeks stating no Benefits to eating or Buying Organic except decreased funds in your bank account

And guess who sponsors the "research" you are talking about? Monsanto (better known by some as "Monsatan") and Cargill.-- agribusiness giants who are spending LOADS of money to fight California's Propostition 37 which would require agribusiness to label GMO foods in California. It is no accident that we are seeing these types of articles lately.

Some new French research has shown horrific cancerous tumors on rats fed GMO corn.
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    And guess who sponsors the "research" you are talking about? Monsanto (better known by some as "Monsatan") and Cargill.-- agribusiness giants who are spending LOADS of money to fight California's Propostition 37 which would require agribusiness to label GMO foods in California. It is no accident that we are seeing these types of articles lately.

Some new French research has shown horrific cancerous tumors on rats fed GMO corn.

That study has been decried as flawed because the type of rat they used has a tendency towards those types of tumours and the control rats also had tumours.

Are Organic Foods Safer or Healthier Than Conventional Alternatives?: A Systematic Review
    Crystal Smith-Spangler, MD, MS; Margaret L. Brandeau, PhD; Grace E. Hunter, BA; J. Clay Bavinger, BA; Maren Pearson, BS; Paul J. Eschbach; Vandana Sundaram, MPH; Hau Liu, MD, MS, MBA, MPH; Patricia Schirmer, MD; Christopher Stave, MLS; Ingram Olkin, PhD; and Dena M. Bravata, MD, MS

Background: The health benefits of organic foods are unclear.

Purpose: To review evidence comparing the health effects of organic and conventional foods.

Data Sources: MEDLINE (January 1966 to May 2011), EMBASE, CAB Direct, Agricola, TOXNET, Cochrane Library (January 1966 to May 2009), and bibliographies of retrieved articles.

Study Selection: English-language reports of comparisons of organically and conventionally grown food or of populations consuming these foods.

Data Extraction: 2 independent investigators extracted data on methods, health outcomes, and nutrient and contaminant levels.

Data Synthesis: 17 studies in humans and 223 studies of nutrient and contaminant levels in foods met inclusion criteria. Only 3 of the human studies examined clinical outcomes, finding no significant differences between populations by food type for allergic outcomes (eczema, wheeze, atopic sensitization) or symptomatic Campylobacter infection. Two studies reported significantly lower urinary pesticide levels among children consuming organic versus conventional diets, but studies of biomarker and nutrient levels in serum, urine, breast milk, and semen in adults did not identify clinically meaningful differences. All estimates of differences in nutrient and contaminant levels in foods were highly heterogeneous except for the estimate for phosphorus; phosphorus levels were significantly higher than in conventional produce, although this difference is not clinically significant. The risk for contamination with detectable pesticide residues was lower among organic than conventional produce (risk difference, 30% [CI, −37% to −23%]), but differences in risk for exceeding maximum allowed limits were small. Escherichia coli contamination risk did not differ between organic and conventional produce. Bacterial contamination of retail chicken and pork was common but unrelated to farming method. However, the risk for isolating bacteria resistant to 3 or more antibiotics was higher in conventional than in organic chicken and pork (risk difference, 33% [CI, 21% to 45%]).

Limitation: Studies were heterogeneous and limited in number, and publication bias may be present.

Conclusion: The published literature lacks strong evidence that organic foods are significantly more nutritious than conventional foods. Consumption of organic foods may reduce exposure to pesticide residues and antibiotic-resistant bacteria.

Primary Funding Source: None.
  • cwanek726
    cwanek726 Posts: 98 Member
    Options

Unfortunately, a lot of "science" that suggests there is no difference, is sponsored by Big Agrigculture (for obvious reasons). Investigate your sources. Other more independent studies have found significantly higher levels of many nutrients in organic foods. That's why it tastes better and, since it is more nourishing, one is satisfied with less (in addition to skipping the toxins that Big Agriculture includes in their versions).

The other benefit of buying organic is that to be USDA certified organic, there are NO GMOs. It's much closer to the way that food was farmed, cattle raised, 100 years ago before science was so incorporated to everything that we consume.
  • albinogorilla
    albinogorilla Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    yes, because it costs more, so you will not be able to afford as much food, thus reducing your caloric intake, thus more weightloss............
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    The other benefit of buying organic is that to be USDA certified organic, there are NO GMOs. It's much closer to the way that food was farmed, cattle raised, 100 years ago before science was so incorporated to everything that we consume.

Why are people so afraid of GMO?

you can choose high yield, resistant, GMO crops...

or a substantial number of the global population starve to death.

your choice
  • Glam128
    Options
    Im so glad I read all these comments before running out and spending $200 on my failed weight loss lol.

But I do like to buy organic fruit. I try to eat 2 apples a day.
  • windycitycupcake
    windycitycupcake Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    i think organic produce tastes better. maybe if your fruits and veggies taste better you'll eat more and lose more weight? also if you decide to go organic you might start paying more attention to what you put in your body and it could jumpstart a lifestyle change. i say go for it. but buy from farmers markets and food co-ops. most of the major corporations in big grocery stores slap organic labels on the food and it doesn't mean a thing.
  • davidmcgowan1987
    Options
    if you want to buy organic... go ahead...

just remember that as far as science can tell besides a slight raise in the level of pesticides in your body (not close to the harmfull levels either only about 30% higher than organic) theres no real benefit.