How Do I Change My Mindset?

Options
2»

Replies

• Shawneb66
    Options
    Once you start recording and weighing every thing you put in your mouth, your mindset will change. By recording it you can see the things that take all your calories, in one setting, and it will make you choose better alternatives. The mindset also has to do with how motivated you are to get the weight off!! Good luck...I hope this helps!
  • AnswerintheSky
    Options
    Part of the mindset problem is in thinking that we have to "force" ourselves to give up junk, fast, and processed food in favour of healthy foods. If we can keep in mind the overwhelming benefits of healthy, wholesome foods that can be made into delicious meals, then there is no question of having to force ourselves to give up the bad stuff. A little research into the effects of fast and processed food on our bodies may be an eye-opener - and may save your life.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    It makes perfect sense. The mindset of healthy eating only comes after the action of healthy eating. Eat healthy then the mind will follow. After a while it just becomes habit. You'll still get the occasional craving but they'll be few and far between.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    My philosophy is that you don't have to give up anything. You just have to figure out what you want, why you want it, and how to get it.

You like the salty, crispy taste and texture of french fries? Try homemade sweet potato fries. I've heard green beans baked in a bit of vegetable oil are great substitutes too, and kale chips are a perfect substitute for potato chips (though they take a couple of tries to get right.)
    You like pizza? Buy some whole-wheat pitas, put a spoonful of tomato sauce on them, cover in 1/4 cup of cheese and 1/2 cup of your toppings of choice, bake at 350 for 5-10 minutes. BAM! Personal thin-crust pizza. It's never run me over 500 calories no matter what I put on it.
    You like the sweet coldness of ice cream? Try frozen yogurt. I found a delightful chocolate one at 90 calories per serving; that's half of what my favorite ice cream is.
    You're craving a fizzy drink like soda? Carbonated lemon water is delightfully bubbly and guess what, no calories!

Identify what it is you like about the foods you crave. Then find foods that are better for you with the same qualities. You'll feel satisfied and incredibly clever.
  • sazzydee1
    Options
    For me, it is connected to exercise. if I ask my body to run 5 miles, I feel like I should fuel it properly afterwards otherwise how can I expect it to perform for me next time if I fill it full of rubbish? It certainly takes times but it is worth it.
  • Shoshona1950
    Shoshona1950 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a table at an ongoing flea-market; there is usually an Armenian there who makes and sells spinach lavish - it is delicious and healthy and I really enjoy eating it. After I finished it, the person with me offered me some of their fresh french fries....with vinegar and salt - yum - after I had eaten about five my mouth felt grossly coated with fat. I was sad I succumbed to the temptation and had lost the clean healthy taste of the spinach lavish. I think of this as an opportunity to remember AGAIN why eating processed fatty food is bad for me and why next week I will bring water flavoured with fresh lemon to drink, and buy another spinach lavish to enjoy, and say, "No thank you." to the fries. Don't beat up on yourself when you make a poor choice; think of it as another reminder to reinforce your choosing GOOD eating habits. I do believe that after enough reminders I will no longer be tempted. I have to believe that, because I can not give up on myself. Keep believing in YOUR SELF.
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    A lot of times people take eating healthy too literal and feel they have to live off of veggies and rice crackers and give up some of their favorite treats. This is not necessary to nourish your body so that it can function optimally. I don't really have cheat days, although every now and then I will eat a bit more treats than a typical day. I established a relationship with food in that each day my goal is to comprise about 80% of my daily calories from whole foods that will allow my body to thrive and meet my macro and micronutrient needs - the remaining 20% comes from anything I want which is usually in the form of ice cream, cookies, cakes and candy. On some days, half of my meals are basically simple desserts with protein powder that serve as a healthy meal.
  • DeinaM
    DeinaM Posts: 5
    Options
    For me change in attitude follows action -- in other words I had to start eating clean and healthy before I have the desire. I have to start feeling how good my body fees before I actually WANT t hat feeling. Usually takes about 30 days of clean eating before I really desire clean eating.

I agree with this. I had to completely remove sugar, deep fried and processed foods for a good 3 weeks, no cheating. Yes, it was pure h e double hockey sticks, but it's what I needed to change my mindset. I actually get excited to eat a grapefruit now! Four months later, I do allow myself a treat meal once a week, but that's because I feel I have control over what I eat.

Focus on changing your mindset in regards to commitment and goals. For me when my mind was focused on being fit, food had to follow.

Much Love!

JournalArtista: Having known you a few years, I KNOW what a change you've made in your life style. I'm commited to make the changes from processed, fried, carbs & sugar to lean protein, fruits & veggies. I kind of feel like I'm starting on a negative with the holidays coming up but I don't want to let the next 2 months go by thinking of what I could have done!

It's encouraging to read how others have approached the mindset.
  • mgobluetx12
    mgobluetx12 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I can see how after you don't eat fast food for a while and then eat it again it doesn't taste as good.

Do you guys think it's beneficial to have "cheat meals/days", where you can eat whatever, or is it better to just force yourself into that place where you aren't eating any junk food until you just don't feel the need to have the cheats at all? I'm afraid of completely cutting myself off from things like that, but at the same time, when I start to eat better, and have a cheat burger or whatever else, and once I get over that feeling of like, gut rot that comes with junk food after you haven't had it for a while, I find myself that I'm basically starting over.

I think you are correct. I've only been at this for 4 months, but in that time the most fast food I've had is 1/2 of a grilled chicken sandwich from Wendy's. I don't eat junk either and I don't miss it/crave it. I find eating clean 98% of the time fuels my body for exercise and makes me feel GREAT! I'm sleeping better, I'm more alert at work and I'm in a better mood. Once I started to notice these things, I knew it was my good choices and now I will never go back. I have a bite or two of dessert every once in a while, but I don't do cheat days or meals. I have turned my eating around 180 and it's served me well. My diary is open if you want to take a look at it. It IS possible to not eat junk and not miss it one bit. I'm proof.