Food Diaries: Open or Closed?

Options
Hi there! I am a naturally nosey and curious person and would like to put a question out there!
Why do people keep their food diaries closed?

I have asked people on my own news feed and have had some interesting replies from people with open diaries but not as yet from someone who keeps theirs closed.
I am not judging anyone who decides to do this I am just curious as to know their reasons.

I feel I should give my reasons for keeping mine open as it is not fair to ask for others to share if I am not willing to share myself!

I enjoy reading other people's diaries. I like to see how they have managed to stay under their goal and I love seeing the different combinations of foods. I often steal ideas for meals and snacks and swap recipes with friends. I enjoy the feedback I get from my friends on my diary. I like the positive comments when people want to know more about a meal or snack. I also welcome the not so positive comments. When people tell me I should be doing more or eating more/less that particular day. I find it motivates me and keeps me on my toes! When I moan about not losing as much as I hope, my friends look through my diary and tell me where they think I can tweak and change things.

I may only have 25 friends on here but I value quality over quantity. I have a few friends with closed diaries and I respect their decision as I do for anyone who decides to reply to this post. I appreciate all the support and advice I get from my friends!

I look forward to seeing what everyone thinks and seeing the variety of answers I receive. Also feel free to add me as a friend I try hard to be as supportive as I can but I do expect it in return! LOL xxx

Replies

• runfreddyrun
    runfreddyrun Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    because anytime you ask a question on the forum people look at your diary (even if its not necessary based on the question) and then potentially say harsh or even rude things about what you're eating - even if you haven't asked for advice on that aspect.
  • MandyMoos1978
    MandyMoos1978 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    And people get pleasure from that? Sad xxx
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Because I'm here for advice on exercise, not advice on eating :smile:
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    some people may not realize there diary is closed. I have been a member since March 2011 and wasn't til last night that I realized my diary was closed. But no one has ever asked to view mine either.
  • Dancerten
    Dancerten Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    because anytime you ask a question on the forum people look at your diary (even if its not necessary based on the question) and then potentially say harsh or even rude things about what you're eating - even if you haven't asked for advice on that aspect.

I've never experienced this personally, since I've kept my diary closed from the start; but yes, I have seen it happen in the forums. And it is sad.
  • SarahCW1979
    SarahCW1979 Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    Didnt know mine was closed to non-friends until just now! I LOVE to look through other peoples and steal ideas for meals :bigsmile:
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    Because I'm here for advice on exercise, not advice on eating :smile:

Thank you! :)
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    Didnt know mine was closed to non-friends until just now! I LOVE to look through other peoples and steal ideas for meals :bigsmile:

Think mine is closed to non friends but please feel free to tell me I am wrong! LOL xxx
    I love stealing ideas too!
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

I have seen others say this. I personally have never has it happen. If it did, I wouldn't care. I'd just tell them to buzz off. I know my goals and I stick to them pretty well and manage my marcros so I'm not really interested on someone elses criticism. On the other hand, I am a believer in transparency and I have nothing to hide.
  • AllonsYtotheTardis
    AllonsYtotheTardis Posts: 16,947 Member
    Options
    My diary is open to my friends list. I do not have it open to the public, because then non-mfp members can see it, and personally - I don't want random people googling my name and then reading all about my weight loss journey. (or my ex-husband, hahaha!)

A lot of people have their diary set to private simply because that's the default setting, and they never thought to change it.
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options

I have seen others say this. I personally have never has it happen. If it did, I wouldn't care. I'd just tell them to buzz off. I know my goals and I stick to them pretty well and manage my marcros so I'm not really interested on someone elses criticism. On the other hand, I am a believer in transparency and I have nothing to hide.

Thank you! xxx
  • ImperfectedBeauty
    ImperfectedBeauty Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open. If I know people are looking at it then i am more likely not to cheat on high calorie/fat foods.
  • sarasmiles124
    sarasmiles124 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I keep my diary open to friends on here.

I joined this site as a way to connect with a friend of mine who is also trying to lose weight and get healthy, so that we could support each other. I personally like having an open diary and feedback. I haven't had any bad experiences with it yet.
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    My diary is open to my friends list. I do not have it open to the public, because then non-mfp members can see it, and personally - I don't want random people googling my name and then reading all about my weight loss journey. (or my ex-husband, hahaha!)

A lot of people have their diary set to private simply because that's the default setting, and they never thought to change it.

That did happen to me but then opened it a few days after starting - maybe we will prompt a few more people to open up! xxx
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    I keep my diary open to friends on here.

I joined this site as a way to connect with a friend of mine who is also trying to lose weight and get healthy, so that we could support each other. I personally like having an open diary and feedback. I haven't had any bad experiences with it yet.

Thank you xxx
  • lundii
    lundii Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    My diary is open, feel free to read.
    But mostly it is in German, so maybe it is quite hard to understand for English speaking users... ;)

And... I like to read the diaries of other users. It is motivating and gives good ideas of healthy meals... and sometimes I am just curious what people in other parts of the world have for breakfast... :flowerforyou:
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    I keep mine open. If I know people are looking at it then i am more likely not to cheat on high calorie/fat foods.

Very true! Thank you! xxx
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    My diary is open, feel free to read.
    But mostly it is in German, so maybe it is quite hard to understand for English speaking users... ;)

And... I like to read the diaries of other users. It is motivating and gives good ideas of healthy meals... and sometimes I am just curious what people in other parts of the world have for breakfast... :flowerforyou:

Thank you! xxx
  • carlydevi
    carlydevi Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open to motivate myself. I don't want to cheat myself and if I think that others are "keeping watch" of what I'm adding, it makes the diary seem more formal and important.

Maybe I just don't mind people seeing what I eat, though. ;)
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Mine is closed right now because I'm banking my exercise calories to use on days I need them, not on days I earn them necessarily. Didn't want my friends freaking out and asking questions because some days seem really low. I'm still eating my recommended amount of calories for the week.