Food Diaries: Open or Closed?

Options

Replies

• wahmx3
    wahmx3 Posts: 646 Member
    Options
    Wow, I could have written this question the exact same way! My diary is open, I have nothing to hide.... i look at others just for ideas for snacks and meals but I also want to be able to support others, both when they are doing great and times when they need help... and we all need help from time to time!
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    When I am reading in the threads about someone saying they are having a hard time with loosing weight -I see other people suggest them open their diaries.If the person is asking a particular question about something what am I doing wrong by all means others want to be supportive and look at the food content to make suggestions.

I sometimes look at others and may suggest someone to add sodium to their diary because if they are having retention ,its important to know if they are over their sodium level.

By no means am I going to look at someones diary and be rude and tell them they are eating the wrong things .

Some days I don't log or eat the right things.
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    The default is closed, so I imagine most people with closed diaries just haven't changed the default and may not even be aware of it. I wasn't aware of it at first. And of course people who don't use the forums, and just use the app, have no reason to share it, because they just log for themselves.

Mine is friends only, because I like to look at my friends' diaries and I assume they might like to look at mine - and if they don't want to, of course they don't have to click on it. I don't have it public, because there doesn't seem any point - I can't imagine random people who aren't on my friends list would be clicking on my food diary. I don't click on the food diaries of random people - only people on my friends list.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    i had mine open for a long time, then the shame of eating or drinking something 'bad' was killing me, lol. since i closed my diary my logging has been 100% honest and my diet has been better too :)
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends, which makes sense to me since they have shown a little interest in me and may have some insight into my situation, which is affected by health issues. For example, sometimes i am too wiped out to eat dinner, and I eat smartpuffs, flax seeds, and organic raw chocolate, which has the calories or less of a dinner, instead. That would look crazy if you don't know the background of me having gotten electrocuted and that being an odd sort of thing which actually gives me the balance I need, along with the rest of the day--*shrug*
  • Steph_Marie29
    Options
    I have mine completely closed.I don't eat much. I had gastric bypass last year so I don't eat much because of it. I've had people tell me I need to eat more so I keep it closed.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,080 Member
    Options
    I don't need any help with my food, don't want to spend time discussing my choices, and don't really depend on others for motivation. I've been on here for five years, and never had my diary open.
  • tonightokayalright
    Options
    I keep it open. I eat as healthy and clean as possible, so really, if my friends on here see that I'm losing weight and want to see how I'm doing it, it's all there. Every indiscretion is tracked to show that you can fudge your diet but still stay on track and lose weight.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    My diary is open because I like that extra incentive to stay within my calories and eat well, knowing that people can read it. Plus I figure that I'm nosy and like reading other diaries so it's only fair that mine is open!

I can understand keeping it private too though. If your diary is just for you to keep check on what you eat and know how much protein/fat/carbs you're getting then that's fine. It's not necessary for weight loss that others can read what you eat.
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    The default is closed, so I imagine most people with closed diaries just haven't changed the default and may not even be aware of it. I wasn't aware of it at first. And of course people who don't use the forums, and just use the app, have no reason to share it, because they just log for themselves.

Mine is friends only, because I like to look at my friends' diaries and I assume they might like to look at mine - and if they don't want to, of course they don't have to click on it. I don't have it public, because there doesn't seem any point - I can't imagine random people who aren't on my friends list would be clicking on my food diary. I don't click on the food diaries of random people - only people on my friends list.

That is a great way of putting it- if you don't use the forum but the app only.
  • MandyMoos1978
    MandyMoos1978 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I keep mine open to motivate myself. I don't want to cheat myself and if I think that others are "keeping watch" of what I'm adding, it makes the diary seem more formal and important.

Maybe I just don't mind people seeing what I eat, though. ;)

Thank you xxx
  • MrsWilsoncroft
    MrsWilsoncroft Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    because anytime you ask a question on the forum people look at your diary (even if its not necessary based on the question) and then potentially say harsh or even rude things about what you're eating - even if you haven't asked for advice on that aspect.

You can have your food diary open to friends only.
    I have my profile set to private to stop any of the smart arses on here commenting on my food/exercise lol x
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    Mine is closed right now because I'm banking my exercise calories to use on days I need them, not on days I earn them necessarily. Didn't want my friends freaking out and asking questions because some days seem really low. I'm still eating my recommended amount of calories for the week.

Thank you xxx well done too xxx
  • HMToomey
    Options
    Because I'm here for advice on exercise, not advice on eating :smile:

^^This. And because I don't need people judging me for that can of soda I had because what they aren't seeing is I just burnt 700 calories and treated myself to a 150 calorie soda. I diary is open to friends though, since I'm OK with my friends seeing it.
  • TeaberryDawn
    TeaberryDawn Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    That was my experience. Just opened mine to friends this morning; don't know if it will help, but I'm willing to share.
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    Wow, I could have written this question the exact same way! My diary is open, I have nothing to hide.... i look at others just for ideas for snacks and meals but I also want to be able to support others, both when they are doing great and times when they need help... and we all need help from time to time!

My feelings exactly xxx Thank you xxx
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    i had mine open for a long time, then the shame of eating or drinking something 'bad' was killing me, lol. since i closed my diary my logging has been 100% honest and my diet has been better too :)
    would think that would be just the opposite LOL. that behind closed doors not as honest.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    Mine is open but empty. Something about logging my food here was creating more anxiety than my therapist felt was healthy. I keep a running calorie count during the day on my phone, but I had to compromise to keep dieting without losing my mind.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I keep mine closed. We have a lot of Ph.D's in Broscience on MFP.

If I wanted advice on what to eat, I'd see a licensed nutritionist in real life, not take advice from whackadoodles on the interwebs.
  • MandyMoos1978
    Options
    When I am reading in the threads about someone saying they are having a hard time with loosing weight -I see other people suggest them open their diaries.If the person is asking a particular question about something what am I doing wrong by all means others want to be supportive and look at the food content to make suggestions.

I sometimes look at others and may suggest someone to add sodium to their diary because if they are having retention ,its important to know if they are over their sodium level.

By no means am I going to look at someones diary and be rude and tell them they are eating the wrong things .

Some days I don't log or eat the right things.

I totally agree - thank you! xxx