Do people think your goal weight is too skinny?

Options

Replies

• PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    My father-in-law told me if I get too skin I'd lose my DD's lmao. My goal is 140 I'm at 190 so 50 more to go!
  • OhKelsey1
    Options
    I'm at my goal weight right now, which is 120 (okay, 121) at 5'5, and people tell me I'm too skinny. I am pretty petite, and I used to more of an average size, so I think that's why it's jarring for some people. It's weird, because if someone is just naturally thin, they don't seem to get as many comments as someone who works hard to get themselves there. I guess people assume you can only get skinny through negative means.

I also think that a lot of people just react badly to weight loss, hence the "big boned" comments you're getting. I think people want to make excuses for not being in shape or fit, so when someone around them actually takes the initiative and gets themselves there without being naturally built that way, it kind of shakes them up. That's been my experience, anyway!
  • hookandy
    hookandy Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I started at 294 (21st) and the plan was to get down to 224-230 (16-16.5st) this year. Then maintain over Christmas. Then re-*kitten* in the New Year. The reason for this is that I don't know where I want to be yet. I have to have time to get used to being thinner and see where I want to be. I am lucky that everybody has been very supportive. I am just at the point that people I have not seen in a while are doing a big double take.

Hoping that the pause over Christmas will give people time to adjust to a smaller me as well. Still not sure that I will ever get too skinny!
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Yes...more and more people are telling me that.

But...

I did the research, I charted the facts, I made sure that my goal weight was reasonable for my age and my height. I also researched foods to help me get to where I am now, and I've researched techniques on how to stay at my goal weight once I reach it. I'm doing the leg work, the mental work, and paying attention to the one thing that gets us "sane" during and after weight loss--I'm listening to my body and how my body feels.

I feel great, I am looking better and better, I'm toning and meeting my exercise challenges. I'm always nice to the nay-sayers, and speak with them in warm tones, thanking them for their concerns, but really this is one area of my life that if you haven't picked up a pair of my too large shoes and walked a mile in them, you do not have the perspective that I have.

I'm 5'5" tall, starting weight 245, current weight 136, goal weight 130. I have a small frame and an outgoing personality. I'm happy with my forever size of 4-6, and I'm looking forward to the remaining jiggles to firm up in the next year. If I never reach 130, it will be okay with me. I have come this far, I have accomplished amazing results, and I am truly satisfied beyond words.

BTW---130 was what my doctor said I should weigh at the last complete physical I had. He will be amazed and very happy about the outcome. And that is a fact!
  • hendinerik
    hendinerik Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    People don't understand that at a certain point it's not just weight - it's nutrition, it's maybe about tightening up certain areas (like my tummy). And they are probably used to you looking a certain way so it's weird for them or something.

Some people I care about very much are also afraid I will be too skinny - but I try to tell them it's not really weight in itself - it's more I want to "lean up" - and that means increasing muscle and losing fat - which is a gradual process.

I have lost about 25 pounds and I am in a good place -- and just recently joined this site - I am trying to break that "plateau" not just on weight but on toning, and really creating results that will last. And also do it with a SUSTAINABLE way of living, not starving or something that will result in binges. Body Fat Percentage to me is more important than weight.

I really like the poster who said "I'll know when I get there" - because I think that is very much true.

Good luck on your journey! Don't let the naysayers sway you if what you are doing is healthy and you feel good and see a difference then I think that should be your guide. Just make sure you're getting the nutrients you need and still finding a way to enjoy life - that's been my ongoing journey.

GW 163 (toned and strong)
    CW 169 (was also this weight 13 months ago but that was without strength training)
    HW 196 (April 2012, Dec 2010)
  • OhKelsey1
    Options
    Yes...more and more people are telling me that.

But...

I did the research, I charted the facts, I made sure that my goal weight was reasonable for my age and my height. I also researched foods to help me get to where I am now, and I've researched techniques on how to stay at my goal weight once I reach it. I'm doing the leg work, the mental work, and paying attention to the one thing that gets us "sane" during and after weight loss--I'm listening to my body and how my body feels.

I feel great, I am looking better and better, I'm toning and meeting my exercise challenges. I'm always nice to the nay-sayers, and speak with them in warm tones, thanking them for their concerns, but really this is one area of my life that if you haven't picked up a pair of my too large shoes and walked a mile in them, you do not have the perspective that I have.

I'm 5'5" tall, starting weight 245, current weight 136, goal weight 130. I have a small frame and an outgoing personality. I'm happy with my forever size of 4-6, and I'm looking forward to the remaining jiggles to firm up in the next year. If I never reach 130, it will be okay with me. I have come this far, I have accomplished amazing results, and I am truly satisfied beyond words.

BTW---130 was what my doctor said I should weigh at the last complete physical I had. He will be amazed and very happy about the outcome. And that is a fact!

Wow, congratulations! That's a great accomplishment!
  • Rosa1213
    Rosa1213 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    YES! All the time.
    I'm 5'8, and I started out at 190, so I've always been seen as a bigger person. I'm at 156 lbs right now, and I want to be anywhere between 140 and 150 (I'll find out when I get there). And my roommate's always like: "But you're so tall, you'll look so gross at at 140!"

Well, guess what? I weigh 156 now and you should see the amount of as* and thighs that prevents me from fitting into a US size 8.
  • tonightokayalright
    Options
    I'm 5'9" and 160 and I'm DEFINITELY not too skinny. Could stand to lose at least 10-20 more pounds for sure. People are haters who get mad at people who can lose weight because they don't have the determination to do it themselves. Don't listen to them. Keep going as long as you want.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I am 5ft 10" and weigh 175lb. According to the BMI chart, I am still a few pounds overweight. My profile pic is a week old, but I am wearing a size jeans which I used to only be able to wear when I weighed 140 lbs. My friends and family refer to me as skinny, and I think they may be right.

BMI does not take into account body fat percentage, which is why it still lists me as being overweight (I have had other fit friends with this issue with the BMI chart). I do a lot of strength training, which I never used to do, which has resulted in my being smaller but weighing more. I also have a relatively flat stomach :happy:
  • wannabeskinny27
    wannabeskinny27 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    My goal weight to get down to is 100 and according to my frame and height it's perfect, there's people i know who think it's too much for me loose but im fine with it, really im gonna wait till im half way in the 130 mark and see how i feel.
  • Yani51
    Yani51 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The problem with the people who told me my target weight was too skinny is that they just don't know what I should weigh nor how to work out a desireable weight range.
    These days I simply tell them "I want to get to a BMI of just under 24 which is at the top of the range for my height". This response sounds acceptable to them. Previously when I told them I was aiming for 154lb and "where I was as a young adult", the response was usually 'don't be stupid! You can't expect to be that light again. That's way too skinny for you at your age".
    (I'm 5'8" and started at 210 lb with only 18 lb left to lose.)
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Guys thanks for the words of encouragement and the stories. It is inspiring to see so many people having success with this. And here is another point, if I lose to much weight and I don't look good, putting the weight back on is easier than taking it off.
  • scottbrown78
    Options
    What is the most accurate way to find out just how much fat a person is carrying?
  • scottbrown78
    Options
    Ditto the "ill know it when I get there". I started with goal weights but learned its about body composition... started at 190 (I am 5'8.5") hit 140lbs-- looked skinny but still some fat (lack of muscle)-- bf% was much lower but not where I wanted it-- gained weight to 150 lifting a lot, gained a little fat there, but some muscle too-- now i am really cycling, adding weight for a 3 months or so, cutting fat for 3 months or so, trying to add lean muscle mass, when I get enough muscle to look how I like (not muscular, just solid)-- I will really target whatever fat is left- whatever weight I am at when I get there-- that will be my weight-- voilla. pics start at 160 not 190 because I wouldn't take my shirt off at 190.

Workout175480x640.jpg

2 lbs difference in the below..

Workout215300x180.jpg

work in progress below

IMG_0653_edited.jpg
    IMO the last pic is what I want....NO what I WILL get to!!!!
  • kingofcrunk
    kingofcrunk Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I agree that people are so used to seeing larger people now that they say someone at their ideal weight is too skinny sometimes. Just do what you want to do and don't worry about other peoples comments!
  • redhousecat
    redhousecat Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    yeah, as a chick, I would never tell anyone my goal weight or even my current weight. I am only 5'7, but if I weighed any less than 150, I start looking like a crack *kitten*. BUT if I tell people I weigh 150 or more, the first thing they think is "fat". Never mind that I am near perfect weight in my eyes. Never mind that my bmi, body fat, etc, are average.

people's negative opinion's and stereotypes suck.

So, I personally think you need to do what is right for you, not your buddy.
  • katiejarr
    katiejarr Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Im 5'1 and a half and I started out at 170, Im now as of today 128.8 and for me I want to weigh 110-115, most of my friends and my hubby tell me that this is great and they encourage me...I think it depends on you and your body type, I used to think that 130 was fine for me, but now that im basically at 130 ish...I still feel that this is too "fat" for me and I want to be thinner...event tho medically my BMI is in the healthy range at 24.

But there are the negative people that say I will be to thin at that weight and I just ignore them, Im dong this for ME and no one else :bigsmile:
  • mfpcopine
    mfpcopine Posts: 3,093 Member
    Options
    I would leave weight out of it! Besides, weight doesn't tell you much, specifically of you are weight training!

I would say....I'm done when I can fit into a size 8....or whatever that may be. :)

Except that sizes are so inconsistent that saying one can fit into a size __ is not very meaningful. I would look at weight, body fat percentage, and measurements.
  • BSummers321
    BSummers321 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    My goal weight is 119. I don't know, that's the lowest I've prepared to go though. I'd love to hit that, I'll maintain for a while. Maybe I'll gain a pound of two, but as long as I'm healthy and not overweight, I'm fine with it.
  • xnikkixsikkix
    Options
    I rarely discuss my goal weight with anyone. I'm going by what is healthy for my height, but I guess since I was skinny for most of my life nobody would ever question my goal weight as being too skinny.