Eating Banana on a Empty Stomach Bad?

Options
I was told this today and was surprised. I tried to look up on the internet hoping to fine some reliable sources to back up the theory... but failed. Is it true or just another piece of bro science?

I rarely do this but today i decided to lift some weights in the morning but didn't fee like having normal breakfast first so I ate a banana. i don't feel anything weird or pain or discomfort...So i am curious, really.

Replies

• pattyg1821
    Options
    ive never heard that before and I do it all the time.
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    ive even heard jillian micheals say don't exercise on empty stomach but she didn't say except bananas lol.
  • Rehobobound
    Rehobobound Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    That's pretty much the strangest thing I've heard all day. I eat bananas in the morning all the time and haven't had any adverse effects. They are just enough to get going. I know others who prefer to workout on an empty stomach, however I've not been able to do that and my trainer doesn't recommend it. I think you're fine.
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Yep that's the dumbest thing I've heard in a while. lol I eat bananas (5-8) on an empty stomach almost every day! They're fantastic for you!
  • pattyg1821
    Options
    the only bad thing about bananas is constipation lol. I know that all to well-sorry TMI.
  • BamsieEkhaya
    BamsieEkhaya Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    no idea, but I find they make me feel sick on an empty tum (or when I've only been drinking water for the whole morning)...

probably because they taste REALLY sweet and I get a little icky feeling towards the end (but thats just me, - i still love them...just not when I've got an empty tum)

they are probs one of my fave fruit though !
  • opuntia
    opuntia Posts: 860 Member
    Options
    I often eat a banana for breakfast. It's never had any ill effects on me - and I'm quite sensitive to foods, so if it was bad, I'd be feeling it!
  • Nerdybreisawesome
    Nerdybreisawesome Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I have never heard that, but maybe they are thinking of the sugars in it and it may cause some people to have a spike or a drop in the blood sugar?

Either way I have never heard anyone say that and I have had a banana on an empty stomach many, many times.
  • bodyzen
    bodyzen Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    the only bad thing about bananas is constipation lol. I know that all to well-sorry TMI.

Well that's usually only because of the other foods in your system with longer digesting times (processed foods, dairy, meat etc that can take up to 2 days to work its way through your body) and bananas have a colon-transit time of about 15-20 minutes. So people blame the fruit for their tummy woes when really it's the blockage already in there that's the cause of the pain.
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options
    Total broscience. Eat a banana whenever you want.
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Malarkey.
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    Options
    Bull****. There's pretty much no reason eating a banana on an empty stomach would be bad. Bananas are awesome! They're full of good things and they taste awesome.
  • Rogus1
    Rogus1 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Did they give you any reason why or just tell you it's was "bad"?
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Why would eating a banana be different than eating anything else on an empty stomach? I know bananas can give some people an upset stomach, but if that hasn't been your experience, I wouldn't worry about it.
  • AnitaRose72
    AnitaRose72 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I haven't heard of that either and I eat them on an empty stomach all the time. I do know that the browner the peel the better the nutrients are that you are getting!
  • tonightokayalright
    Options
    Total broscience. Eat a banana whenever you want.

This^
  • dhanisk
    Options
    No.
    I have never heard it nor have I experienced any issues with eating bananas any time of the day.
    So, relax and eat bananas whenever you wish - as long as you do not exceed your net calories goal :-)
    Cheers!
  • Elle408
    Elle408 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    It's my favourite thing to eat in the morning if I don't have time for breakfast! Never did me any harm... gotta love a bit of bro science for a chuckle!
  • shanster23
    shanster23 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have bananas for breakfast sometimes, and it's certainly never given me any ill-effects, so I think you'll be fine! :)
  • jehuster
    Options
    So I guess that means don't eat breakfast on an empty stomach either??? lol :bigsmile: