Today is the day i stop smoking!

Options

Replies

• RSuta
    RSuta Posts: 60
    Options
    i did it a little over 2 years ago, used the patch for 3 days thats all it took. your mind has to be ready to stop or it wont work. good luck!!!
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    I was a very heavy smoker up until I was 30, then I quit. At the time, it seemed impossible. Now, at 59, it seems impossible that I used to smoke. You can do it.
  • krnlcsf
    krnlcsf Posts: 310
    Options
    I love hearing these kind of goals! I'm not a smoker and haven't ever been, but I am unbelievably proud of my boyfriend who has not smoked in almost 2.5 years!

Take it one day at a time... and just understand that it's similar to the healthy eating/diet lifestyle, in that you will have cravings, and maybe even slip ups, but tomorrow is a new day. :)

All the best of luck to you on another healthy decision! :flowerforyou:
  • twinmom1993
    Options
    hi there, I quit 7 days 9 hours ago. I am on the nicotine trans dermal system patch kit. and i take an herbal supplement my doctor gave me. i smoked a pack a day for 22 years. i too am afraid that i will gain weight but i have a great support system and a gym membership. i keep track on my smart phone how long it has been and dont want to input a new date to it. I do agree smoking stinks. I knew it when i smoked and know it more now... It is very hard to wuit, i have more of a desire to smoke than a craving. its kinda all i think about. but i was the same way when i started this diet 3 1/2 months ago (all i thought about was food) good luck to you on your journey.
  • lhorton84
    lhorton84 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!!! I quit smoking in Jan for new year and I have never looked back...

Good Luck :happy:
  • Marmitegeoff
    Marmitegeoff Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I quit 40 ish years ago and was one of the best things I have ever done, You will not regret giving up, only that you smoked for so long.
  • thirtyandthriving
    thirtyandthriving Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    That is wonderful! You can do it!!! It's hard, but it does get easier. Ive quit a couple of times, the last being 6 or 7 years ago. :)
  • shay0425
    Options
    Good for you!! I have quit several times. It will be one of the hardest but most rewarding thing you will ever do! Good luck!! You can do it!!
  • Echo_Dan
    Echo_Dan Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I quit 5 1/2 years ago and Im so glad I did. But it was a tough couple of first days. I found the hard way, the keys to success are:

1. Smoking is routine, choose a date/time when your normal routine would be broken. Like the weekend

2. Keep busy. Do something fun that keeps your mind off of smoking

3. Stay away from other smokers.

4. Stay strong, and don't give in. "Just one won't hurt" is a lie. Giving up smoking is harder than giving up drugs (apparently) so you have to be strong and focus your will power.

Other than that good luck :D I found snacking on dried apricots worked, but I wouldn't recommend it as you end up running to the loo a lot !!
  • goonas
    goonas Posts: 205
    Options
    I used a hypnotist to stop smoking at the beginning of this year, it worked, was the best 200 pounds I have spent in my life. I learn't the following things:

1. Nicotine is not an addictive substance
    2. You are not addicted to Nicotine, you are addicted to the HABIT of smoking
    3. Break the HABIT and you will win
    4. It's NOT hard to quit smoking - it's harder for some people because they feel the NEED to smoke, but you don't because nicotine is not addictive.

You will find you smoke at the same time of day each and every day, BREAK that HABIT. When I used to wake up I used to go down stairs, put the kettle on, and stand at the back door and have a cigarettes whilst the kettle was boiling. So I moved the kettle to the other side of the room, so I was not as close to the back door, so in my head I wasn't doing the same thing. Another thing I tried and worked, to move the habit was go for a pee after turning on the kettle in the morning (instead of before), so I had to make the journey back upstairs, and I wasn't going for the cigarettes straight after turning the kettle on. That way I was breaking the habit (or routine).

I started to put 50 pounds a week into a clear glass jar as a reminder of how much money I was saving, even if I didn't have 50 pounds on me, I would go to the local ATM to get it, afterall as a smoker I would go to the shop no matter what time of day if I had run out of smokes wouldn't I. That glass Jar is will be at 1,850 by Wednesday.

I also downloaded an app for my iPhone called "Since iQuit" it's nothing more than a counter but it shows me the following:

- How much time its been since I last smoked
    - How many cigarettes I haven't smoked
    - How much money I have saved.

The one thing I have learn't is if you want something badly enough you can do it.
    Half the battle is understanding why you smoke, and why you want to quit.

Add me as a friend if you want some support :)
  • goonas
    Options
    I quit 40 ish years ago and was one of the best things I have ever done, You will not regret giving up, only that you smoked for so long.

So so true.
  • icklekimmy
    icklekimmy Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips and advice!
  • fallonrhea
    fallonrhea Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    I quit smoking almost two years ago and it was THE BEST decision I could have made for myself. Everything about my life is better now.

It's not easy, but every day it gets easier. You're going to have some days and some moments that are harder than others so just be prepared for those to remain strong and not give in. After a while, those days and moments get fewer and farther between.

It's crazy how much better I'm able to BREATHE!

YOU CAN TOTALLY DO THIS! If I can so can you :)

PS: I lost weight after quitting smoking - probably because I was able to be more active again! So don't let the fear of weight gain discourage you!
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    The patches are great, I don't know about the inhaler. I quit about 15 years ago, best thing I ever did for myself.

If you expect to be grumpy you will. I found that once the decision was made the moodiness is gone. I think it comes when you haven't really decided yet. Best of luck to you!
  • supermoo2
    Options
    Well done, but if you find it difficult to do both at the same time, quit smoking first and then concentrate on the weight loss.
  • goonas
    Options
    The only reason most people put on weight when they quit smoking is because they substitute a cigarette for some food.
  • icklekimmy
    Options
    End of day one, no cigs smoked and havent needed to use nicorette inhalator. I also do not stink of smoke!!
  • britborn52
    Options
    Way to Go! Congratulations!

I quit smoking 9 weeks ago today. It does get easier as the days go by so hang in there!
  • icklekimmy
    Options
    Thank you and well done for going nine weeks smoke free!
  • meer__kat
    meer__kat Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yayy way to go! I quit just over one year ago and it was tough - I looooooved smoking, it was like losing an arm - but so worth it! I used the gum since that helped with the cravings and gave me something to do with my mouth. #1 perk: After about two weeks, my skin started looking AMAZING. I've never had a problem with acne or anything, but I swear once I quit I started actually GLOWING.