Why is surgery considered so wrong???

Options

Replies

• spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Congrats and GREAT post! I had sleeve surgery June 11, 2012. I lost 47 pre op between 2/1/12-6/11/12 and have lost 44 pounds post op in 14 weeks. I, like you, have struggled all my life with obesity. I weighed over 11 pounds when I was born! I was a member of Weight Watchers before age 10. I have never, ever been the correct weight for my height EVER.
    Weight Loss Surgery isn't the easy way out as many think. It is tough! It's a tool in my toolbox along with exercise, portion control, eating the right foods and getting enough protein in daily to succeed and loosing the weight and then keeping it off!
    Thanks again for this great post!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Your post made me realize that after over 2 years on MFP I've never once seen anyone "slam" people who have undergone surgery for weight loss, but I've seen countless exclamations of support.

Do you guys just make up stuff to get upset about, or am I blind?
  • kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Because it's dangerous and unnecessary for 90% of overweight and obese people. The vast majority of people could lose the weight through natural means without putting their health (or life!) at risk.

And it doesn't train people how to ate properly. I know someone who lost quite a bit with a surgery -- but after a bad breakup, gained all the weight back. Several contestants on the Biggest Loser had had weight loss surgery and gained the weight back.

There's been numerous cases of people dying from complications. In fact there is a company in Los Angeles that is currently being sued for malpractice due to how many botched procedures they've had.

Is it always a bad idea? No. I think there are rare occasions where people may need it. For everyone else, a sensible change in lifestyle could accomplish the same, if not more.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    People see weight loss surgery as wrong because it's basically handing over the responisbility of how much you eat to something else. You can't eat a lot, not because you choose not, but because you have a smaller stomach.
    A lot of people, including myself have been obese, morbidly obese, and lost the weight by sheer grit and determination. Also by doing a hell of a lot of research, reading books, experimenting with different foods and methods, talking to people who have lost the weight. My mothers best friend was 28 stone, she is now 10 stone. Not because she had weight loss surgery, but because she decided enough was enough and chose to not eat bad foods anymore. She is incredible and a weight loss hero.

I spent £3,000 training to become a hypnotherapist...in order to cure my depression, find out how to be a better person and explore the reasons behind my compulsive and obsessive over eating.

By getting sugery, you are fixing your body, not your head, which is where overeating and obesity comes from. You still have the urges to eat junk food.

IMOH, if every person had explored every possible way to gain a healthy relationship with food and exercise before getting the surgery. Then no surgeries would happen.

I think people, especially in the UK, are unhappy about weight loss surgeries, is because the funding for these operations comes out of the taxpayers pocket.

Yes, people still have issues with "head hunger" but a good bariatric program will screen for this. I had to get "team approval" from my bariatric program before they would say I could have sleeve surgery. I had to see a physcologist, a nutritionist and a physical therapist. They all three had to sign off/agree I was ready for surgery. If one doesn't agree than you have to do more work. Also after surgery you still see these same people 1 month, 3 months, 6 months and then yearly post op or more often if you need to.
    I have tried every diet there is with no success. Yes, I would loose weight but then never reach my goal and then start eating bad again.
    I know surgery isn't for everyone but for some it is the only way to get to healthy weight.
  • AnitaRC
    Options
    Hi Jennie - my mom used to say that if you expect everyone to agree with your choices you could not live an authentic live and after all it would be a waste of time. Many doctors agree that surgery is an excellent tool for some - three of my family members have had surgery. Sometimes explaining yourself to others opens the gates to criticism. I think that you made a courageous choice for yourself and can move confidently in your journey towards health. At the end of the day no one is walking in our own shoes and each of us leads a very personal life. It is wonderful to be able to live in a country that allows its citizens to have choices - The best to you.
    PS - Lincoln used said that he did not explain himself to his enemies.
  • DexterDarko
    Options
    I feel that if I change who I am on the outside the natural way, then I'd have to change who I am on the inside. The long road ahead of me is going to benefit me far more then calling a magical fairy to put me under surgery, I'll still be the same insecure and depressed person.

But, I'm not saying it's wrong to go into surgery, I am saying that's how I feel about it personally related to me. Anybody else can do what they want but I would never do it.
  • Katydone
    Options
    Good work...my dil had that surgery. She went from 286 down to 130 and has maintained this weight for 2 years. Her husband is stationed in Alaska.
  • gailashton
    Options
    No judgment here. It's whatever works for you. The key is not losing it, it's keeping it off and the only way to do that no matter what you do is with lifestyle change with a healthy diet (portion control) and exercise. Good luck to you! Keep up the good work.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I don't think bariatric surgery is wrong if you are in imminent danger of a serious health problem. But... during the time of weight loss, I believe a person should learn to cook healthy and change their lifestyle dramatically. Otherwise, a person could find themselves back to square-one easily.
  • Hayleighs_mom
    Options
    I don't know about everyone else, but I think it depends on why the person gets surgery. Of course the point of surgery is to loose weight. But the person has to be ready to do the lifestyle change. Like you said, you can still eat rubbish if you want to. But that isnt the point of the surgery. I know people who have done surgery so they could drop the weight but they still eat crappy food. And then they get mad at people who say that they took the easy way out. In my opinion, they did. But there is a HUGE difference between doing it for personal reasons vs. medical reasons
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    One of my friend's had surgery in May- at that same time another friend (whose not all that large) was also taking nutrition classes towards WLS... both of these friends were encouraging me to have surgery done.... Here in the states most insurance companies force you to take 6- months of nutrition classes before qualitifing for surgery..when I looked at the numbers I thought to myself-- I can go through 6 months of classes and Dr. visits and then put myself through a surgerical procedure to lose this weight... but in 6 months I could shed most of that weight naturally and have much more confidence and self worth knowing that I did it and didn't have to alter my insides to get to my goal. (For me, personally) Currently friend #1 is down 90 lbs and extremely happy... friend #2 is on MFP with me and we're both happily losing together!!!

WLS is for some people- but this is why it's not for me!! For some people (like friend #1) WLS seems like the only option to get the huge amount of weight off. For other people, like myself, WLS is absolutely not the right way to go-- and I don't really want to be too involved with it seeing 8-10 lb loses a week when I'm losing that in a month. It's a motivational thing.

In the end we need to get this extra weight off our bodies.... and someday (not too far away from today) we'll ALL be happy with our bathroom scales!!!! Our journey's will just be different.
  • blueroses_78
    Options
    most people have no clue how much work it really is. I think a lot of them see people like us (WLS recipients) losing the weight that they can't seem to lose, so they get jealous and say, "oh, you're doing it WRONG" or "You're CHEATING."

WLS is a tool- we still have to deal with the mental issues and the emotional issues. We still have to eat properly, and we still have to exercise. I'm 14 months post op from lap banding, and I am VERY happy and very confident in my ability to continue on this path. It's not been easy, that's for sure.

I also feel a bit of an outcast here, because a lot of people have seen my loss, and they immediately ask me how I did it, and when I tell them lap banding, they get all miffed and don't want to talk to me. Sorry, buddy. I didn't do this for YOU - I did this for ME. I tried and failed all those other ways (WW, highly restrictive calories, working out all the time) and they didn't help. Nothing worked for me. I had to tell my WLSurgeon about EVERYTHING I had tried. I had to see a psychiatrist. I had to (and STILL DO) speak to a dietitian.

OP - I totally get ya :)
  • Diggy2011
    Diggy2011 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't judge you but I have changed my opinion after watching the horizon programmes they were very informative and well worth watching so I think unless anybody has lived your life then they wouldn't understand best of luck for the futre x
  • jennis70
    jennis70 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    It appears you have tried hard conventionally and you still needed help. You made a good choice. I have seen successes and failures with surgery. It appears you are committed to it's success. If you feel you can't share enough on the community site, maybe you can befriend a group of folks who can share privately with you. I certainly do not condemn surgery. I would support the individual if they have chosen to have surgery. My biggest concerns with bariatric surgery are the types that you can't reverse. Taking away parts of our bodies that cannot be recovered if it doesn't work. Yet, there have been some successes for people who have had this type of surgery so I would say it is my own hangup over it. My daughter has a good friend who had bariatric surgery. Her friend encouraged my daughter to have it done. I encouraged her to come to "My Fitness Pal". She chose my advice and in a month has lost 12 pounds. One of the biggest misconceptions that I see with surgery is that a person can go on living the way he use to and not change. I have seen another friend have this surgery and gain a great deal of the weight back because of failure to continue to eat properly. Please continue on your quest for a healthier life. I applaud you. Seeing my friend go through the surgery was a difficult process. Not an easy decision but one that is a good tool when nothing else is working for you. Don't ever give up. When any of us give up remember to return the next morning to start all over again. If we fail today remember tomorrow. Don't let the unhealthy beast win. "My Fitness Pal" is the army who is battling the beast. We will win. Stay with us and fight with us. We need your success too. It encourages the troops.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    The main reason that so many people look down on it is because in MOST cases it is not /necessary/. It is something that people typically use to force themselves to eat less instead of just doing it on their own without the crutch.

Getting this surgery you should know that people will cast judgement on you (as with any decision you make in life), so I never understand why people who got WLS are so confused why people see them differently than if they had done it on your own.

Unless you had medical issues and this was literally your ONLY option then many will disagree with your decision. WLS is not the only way.
  • mommycline
    mommycline Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    You got to do what is right for you and don't listen to all the @Holes out there. NO one has the right to judge another person till they have walked in their shoes. NO ONE!
  • tornadoladi
    tornadoladi Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I agree no one should judge you until they have walked in your shoes. But unfortunately that is the way of our society. Just like i get judge by people for using handicap. I don't look handicap but not all people look it.

I did surgery to help my handicap with my lungs and it is working. We all must do what we need to do for what is right for us.
  • Libb3C
    Libb3C Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I think what many people here are missing with the "Lose it the old fashioned way" tone is that many of us HAVE lost it that way, and gained it back, lost it again that way, gained more back, etc. I think you would be hard pressed to find many people who have had weight loss surgery that haven't tried, had some success, many failures.

I had the sleeve 13.5 months ago. I watch what I eat, I take my vitamins, I exercise EVERY day. This is a tool, just like MFP - just like Weight Watchers. I have to work these tools for the rest of my life to maintain my loss. I see a dietician regularly, I have taken many classes on nutrition, I have labs drawn frequently, I attend support group as well as Weight Watchers weekly, I seek out support here on MFP. These are all tools I have in my tool box.

Guess what? I used to be one of you who believed it was the easy way out. Ha. So not true. As the saying goes, walk in my shoes for a few days.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I think what many people here are missing with the "Lose it the old fashioned way" tone is that many of us HAVE lost it that way, and gained it back, lost it again that way, gained more back, etc. I think you would be hard pressed to find many people who have had weight loss surgery that haven't tried, had some success, many failures.

I had the sleeve 13.5 months ago. I watch what I eat, I take my vitamins, I exercise EVERY day. This is a tool, just like MFP - just like Weight Watchers. I have to work these tools for the rest of my life to maintain my loss. I see a dietician regularly, I have taken many classes on nutrition, I have labs drawn frequently, I attend support group as well as Weight Watchers weekly, I seek out support here on MFP. These are all tools I have in my tool box.

Guess what? I used to be one of you who believed it was the easy way out. Ha. So not true. As the saying goes, walk in my shoes for a few days.

I don't think a single person on here has said it's the easy way out. Everyone agrees it's a difficult path. Most of us are against it when unnecessary because of the dangers involved with it and the rate of failure. The only people mentioning it as an easy way our are the people that are for it.
  • kenny_johnson
    kenny_johnson Posts: 108 Member
    Options

But I think what's lost by some is that pretty much every overweight and obese person has tried to lose weight in the past and failed or gained it back, etc. I've been overweight since I was a pre-teen (with a small amount of time being a skinny teenager) and obese or morbidly obese for almost my entire adult life. I've failed at several diets. I've lost and gained back (plus some).

But I would still not do surgery. For one, I know people who've "failed" at weight loss surgery. So there's no guarantee of success but lots of added risks. But most importantly, I'm determined that this time I can keep it off. Partially because I'm not dieting this time. I'm not doing atkins, or south beach, or whatever. I'm simply eating less and exercising more. Something I'd be asked to do with surgery anyway. So why would I possibly put myself into situation that could kill me or seriously damage my body when I have a less risky alternative?
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!