40+ Club: Beating The Winter Bulge

Options

Replies

• genann
    genann Posts: 236
    Options
    :smile: OH I REALLY WANT TO JOIN IF ITS OK... I will be 59 the middle of April. I am a wife, a mother of 2 daughters, a grandmother of 2 girls and a great grandmother of 1 girl... When everyone is here my son-in-law calls our home the house of estrogen! :laugh: I have over 30lbs to lose and am determined to do it by the end of this year. Hope to make many friends here.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

A pretty good Super Bowl last night. I like both teams, but I am glad that long-suffering Saints fans finally got themselves a winner! I was also impressed with some of the off-the-field stories about Drew Brees. He is quite a fine young man.

We stayed home and made our own "party". Not too bad, but I need to clean up my act pretty quickly. Back to the gym today and a kettlebell workout after work.

Glad to see all the "newbies" who want to join this club. Welcome to all!

Swiss, I think Williamsport got around a foot of snow. BTW, your new picture looks great!

Have a great day!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Happy Monday All! After partying yesterday - I'm more than ready for healthy eating today. I definitely didn't overdo it but still when you get used to eating healthy just a day of junk food makes you feel all icky the next day. I'm hoping lots of water today will help flush out all the toxins. Luckily, the clean up of party mess will help keep my appetite in check.

Sing: Glad to hear you survived the Blizzard of 2010 - It looks like we are going to get our first measurable snow of the year tomorrow. I for one am hoping for a Wed. snow day. My daughter's winter dance was Saturday so between that and the superbowl I wasn't able to catch up on my sleep over the weekend.

I finished week one of CX Push Circuit - WOW I'm really feeling it. I will probably try and lift a little heavier this week as I usually take it easy the first week as I'm learning all the moves.
  • denimangel
    denimangel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Did my 3 miles on the treadmill this morning.. .. I always feel so motivated and energized after my morning run!

Hectic day at work coming up today... then leaving to Regina to spend the night before catching my plane out to MN Tuesday. Cold out here today... temperature is currently -30 with wind chill of -34.

Well off to finish packing before work... hope everyone has a great day!!

Angel
  • singfree
    Options
    Duffy, it looks like we are in for more snow tomorrow night thru Wed. Accuweather is predicting up to a foot in my area.

Hisangel, bon voyage on your chilly trip to MN. I'm cold here and it's up to 20 degrees!
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    We're supposed to get a foot starting tuesday night, I think. With wind causing blizzard like conditions. The weather people have been getting it so wrong, we'll probably have enough sun to get a tan.

Well I watched the superbowl with my husband so I could enjoy the commercials, and except for Betty White, they were a dud!
  • Trina22
    Options
    I heard we are getting 8 inches to a foot again on Wednesday in my area, too. It will be so nice to be in Florida a week from Wednesday (in my goal-sized pants, by the way!)

We were in NYC yesterday (no snow there!) and the home made gnocchi, cannoli and gelato in Little Italy were wonderful - as a one day treat, that is! Even so, I lost a pound since last week and am way back on track today.

I love to cook when it snows and on Saturday made a low-cal/low fat oyster stew, a lovely 200 calorie apple crumble - both from Prevention magazine, and roasted some beets that I am having on my salad at lunch today. Does anyone else cook when it snows?

Has anyone here tried P 90 X? My husband bought the program a couple years ago (but stopped using it because it was so time-intensive). Anyway, in the middle of the snowstorm with no way to get to the gym, a bolt broke on my elliptical so i tried the P 90 X cardio program (but modified it to my much lower fitness level!) It was actually a really good cardio workout and since I didn't go full-tilt on it, I wasn't terribly sore the next day.

Welcome to all the new people! Please let us know what is working for you. I love to hear new ideas.
    Thanks, Trina
  • kalmf
    kalmf Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Hisangel, your compassion for an innocent being is inspiring. I went through the same experience and I know how heart breaking it is. I'm an animal nut, but I live in a community with many hunters and we all agree that needless suffering is inexcusable. Thank you for your kindness.
    Karin
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Good morning!! I started the second week of the ChaLean Push Phase. Yeah Duffy!!! :drinker:

Trina, are you saying you reached your goal? :drinker: :drinker: :drinker: There are some of us here who have done P90X, Stiring, Sing and myself. Please forgive me if I left someone out. It is a good program but yes, it is very time consuming. We all finished at least one round of the entire program. I believe Sing has done 2 rounds. I can say that it definitely made me stronger. I did not get any amazing results doing it because I really did not follow the nutrition program as recommended. The nutrition part of the program is very important in order to get the results other users get.

Angel, so sad :cry: I would have done the same. I love animals. Poor deer! :flowerforyou:

Have a wonderful day!!! :flowerforyou:
  • singfree
    Options
    Trina, as Alf said, there are a few of us who used P90X. Give it a try since you already own the program. I will use it on occasion, but right now I am doing some kettlebell training and cardio to shed some of the winter weight. We were in Allentown on Saturday, and you probably got as much snow as us. I'm not looking forward to Wednesday...a good excuse to take a vacation day! On the bright side, snow shoveling is a big calorie burner!!!!
  • singfree
    Options
    Good morning!

Nobody posted since yesterday afternoon? Everyone must be very busy!

We are bracing for yet another winter storm which could leave us with another foot (or more) of the fluffy white stuff. I'm considering working a double shift today and just stay home tomorrow or just take a vacation day. Either way I'm not venturing out into the storm tomorrow, even with "...the beauty of all wheel drive". The winds will top 40 mph, so there will be a lot of drifting.

On a lighter note, I trust that everyone had a restful night's sleep and you are havinvg a nice fresh and healthy breakfast. My system is still out of whack from the events of the past several weeks. I guess it will take some time to feel myself again. I did some good work with weights at the gym and a short kettlebell workout yesterday. Additionally, I did some cardio on the treadmill. I feel tired and stiff from the weights, which is good!

Alf, I wish I lived closer so I could be one of your Zumba students! You are doing great and we are proud of your accomplishment!

Trina, we like to cook when it snows! We are not home together very often, so it's nice to have a sit-down meal for a change. We get Prevention magazine too. I know it's written mainly for women, but I like some of the articles too. We also get Cooking Light, which gives us some great meal ideas. You probably live fairly close to Emmaus, the home of Prevention mag.

Have a great day and stay warm!
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Happy Tuesday! Let it snow let it snow let it snow! We are expecting 6-10 inches if the weather man is correct. I am hoping for a snow day with the kids as we haven't had one yet this year. Although I'm hoping that it holds off until the repair guy can get here to fix my microwave. So far now flakes and he is scheduled between 8 am and noon (last time he didn't get here till 2:30 so I'm not holding my breath:wink: )

Like Alf - yesterday I started week 2 of CX Push - I really went heavy and unfortunately today I'm feeling it in one of my wrists (probably just tendonitis) I think I'm going to have my husband show me how to use the sled because I really want to go heavy for my lower body (right now I'm squating about 50lbs but know I can do much more if my wrists and elbow would allow) I may head over to Chalene's Twitter account and see if I can get her to comment on using the sled.

Stay Safe and Stay Warm!
  • denimangel
    denimangel Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    At the hotel waiting to go swim a bit before heading for the airport for my flight to MN. My daughter says they have gotten about a foot of snow since Sunday, and the schools are closed again. That sounds so funny to me.. up here they NEVER close the schools because of snow... if the buses can't make it and the parents don't bring the kids to school there is still school for those who live in town. In the 10 years I've been here the school (high school only) closed because of a broken water pipe... never because of a blizzard and we have had some nasty ones. Oh well if schools are closed I get to spend even more time with my grandkids!!:love:

Well off to the pool for some exercise before heading to the airport... I'll try to keep in touch while I am there...

Angel
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Good morning, Sing, Hisangel, duffyz and everyone.

We're due to get 12-18" of snow starting tonight. I won't get snow exercise, because I live in a condo. Though driving to work will probably cause me to burn a lot of calories due to nervous energy. For some reason my office has a weather hotline, but since they have instituted it, they have never actually delayed or closed the office. It always makes me mad when I call it because it wil say something like "As always we are open." So, why do we need a hotline. However, I feel like there might be some time when they really grow a heart and close the office, I and would be the moron who didn't check and drive to work.

Well, I started back up on the treadmill again. I probably over-babied myself by waiting a week. I was kind of mad at myself, because I felt like I have been in a continual state of starting over for the last few months. Then, it dawned on me that in the past when something derailed me, it would be months or years before I started over, so I am much better off than I used to be, and I really think its because I joined this site, and met all of you, and am much more accountable as to what I do.
  • Texssippian
    Options
    Hi all! We had below freezing temps last night and it took me two hours to get to work because of little patches of ice on the roads from run-off from rain yesterday. They are talking about snow here in North Texas on Thursday.

Had a good trip to Mississippi over the weekend. Made it back to the trainer last night. SI joint is still not 100% but much, much better. Will be able to do the bike tonight if I can't make it to water aerobics.

Alf: glad the Zumba classes are going well. Does your son like to dance?

Sing: stay warm and safe.

Zebras: Good for you for getting back on track quickly after falling off.

Everyone be safe and stay warm! TxMs
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    What if you made her a small basket of goodies that include granola, fresh exotic fruit, nuts, etc. and tell her you love these things and thought she would love it too.......
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I thought that you should have some fats....obviously not too much, but I read that olive oil is a fat that you should use
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    :mad: Watching our second bout of snow coming down right now. We have added a couple of inches onto the eight that we already had. It will continue until tomorrow sometime. I have to drive that stupid work van in this. Hope I can keep it on the road.:explode:
  • Trina22
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback about my questions. I don't want to do the whole P90X program because I think it is a little too crazy. Yes, I reached my short-term goal of fitting into size 14 pants instead of the 18s I was wearing. Me next goal is to decrease the amount of fat on my body - any tips on how to do that? I am doing the elliptical at home 3 -4 days a week 15 to 30 minutes each time and streangth training at the gym. I just want to get the fat off my thighs and around my mid section - help! (And happy snow day!)
  • singfree
    Options
    Trina, I can't speak for anyone but myself...the BEST fat blaster that I've used was HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). Work hard to get your HR very high, then back off until your HR slows down a bit then repeat that sequence maybe 5 times. You will be exhausted, but I've found nothing that compares.

Here's an example that I use on an elliptical:

Get the HR in a good training zone, for me around 150 BPM
    Then go full out for 30-45 seconds, which sends the HR to 170+ BPM
    Slow the pace until the HR stabilizes back to 150 BPM
    Repeat the sequence a few times

This is a tough workout, but to get the best benefit, you need to get out of your comfort zone.

Again, this works for me...and quickly! Combined with proper nutrition, you will see results in no time.

Also, keep strength training!

Good luck!!!!