How to make brown rice taste good???

Options

Replies

• DGerman
    Options
    3 cups brown rice
    1/2 tsp Cayanne (Or to taste more if you like it Spicy)
    4 Tbsp Lite Soy
    3 Tbsp Dried Basil
  • John8188
    Options
    ok, this is how I make my brown rice. I like to use a rice cooker and use a cup and a half of water for ever cup of rice. Now it will come out a little soft. That is ok. Then you put the warm rice in a bowl with some Cinnamon and sweetener and a little milk. I like to use soy milk. It's just like a nice oatmeal.
  • pleezletmenap
    pleezletmenap Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Obviously this is not ideal for everyone, and in moderation.. but I cook some bacon to chop up into it, and sauté the rice in a little bit of bacon grease until done, add grilled green peppers onions and then the bacon.. it taste REALLY good and is not too bad calories/carb wise

Thanks for that idea! I will be trying that tonight.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    Fresh made stock

Fresh herbs pulverized to a fine powder to flavor the water
  • AVinmill
    AVinmill Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    after you cook it throw it in a frying pan with bean sprouts, red peppers, and onions. Put an egg in a bowl and whisk it and then dump it into the pan and continue cooking while tossing frequently until the egg is fully cooked. Put it on your plate and top it with 2 tablespoons of Maggi chili sauce.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I know that brown rice is supposed to be very good for you. My problem is that I can't make it taste that good. It either never cooks properly or when it does, it's just very bland and plain. Any tips or ideas for making it taste yummy so I enjoy eating it instead of feeling like I have to force myself? Thanks for your help!

Eat white rice instead if you like it more. Not a whole lot nutritionally different between the two.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Use a rice cooker and buy short grain. It has more calories but tastes better. Also, try adding chopped nuts, dry mushrooms or broth to the rice.
  • godsrose
    godsrose Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the idea!
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    We eat a lot of brown rice and we love it! I usually add a pack of taco seasoning to the water when it's boiling and then add the rice to cook. Then when it's cooked, I add some low fat shredded cheese and some salsa and some fat free sour cream. Then eat it in low fat tortillas. Yummy! (extra additions I sometimes add; sweet corn, black beans, onions, low fat re-fried beans, cilantro)

I'm going to try adding taco seasoning to mine. This sounds yummy. I usually just cook mine as directed on the package and then I'll add some salsa when it's done. I once added a half cup of left over juice I got from cooking some red beans & sausage and it came out delicious.
  • deadmittens
    deadmittens Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    salt. That's how you make it taste good lol
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    EVOO + crumbled feta + scallions. Yums.
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    You've got to cook it longer than white rice. Anddd ... eat it with curry. Or steamed veg with seasoning. If the sides are seasoned and mixed in with the rice, the rice will taste yummy too :D
  • NobodyInParticular
    Options
    I mix it with beans :)
  • gpstrucker
    gpstrucker Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I boil it and then fry it in extra virgin olive oil (just a little) along with some carrot shavings, onion, green and red peppers, and low sodium soy sauce.
  • Csitri
    Csitri Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    bump
    for a read later
  • holly3585
    holly3585 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I like to mix HOT salsa into my brown rice. It's a little too good sometimes and I want a second serving!
  • cookn_mama
    cookn_mama Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Add cilantro and lime juice!!! Add cilantro just before serving for a milder taste.
  • paintlisapurple
    paintlisapurple Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    It does have a bland taste and to disguise that I usually do some sort of quick stir fry. To begin with be sure you cook it long enough or else it has a strange kind of texture. Try caramelizing some onion, then add any other veggies that you enjoy. (Time saver would be a bag of mixed veg that you enjoy.) Add your rice once everything is mostly cooked, toss in some sauce (watch the sodium content as I've had to learn that one myself!) I like to use a japanese terriyaki sauce. A few TBSPS go a loooong way.
    You can do this and add meat (or replacement) of choice for a complete meal.
  • ezramedic
    Options
    I cook it in chicken broth (or stock - whatever I have on hand!)
    I also add a little salt and pepper :-)
  • Nicolee_2014
    Nicolee_2014 Posts: 1,572 Member
    Options
    I put some vege seasoning into mine whilst it's simmering on the stuff or my OH when I have it does up some mushrooms that he cooks with a smidge of butter & some crushed garlic, tastes divine. I can't get enough of the stuff these days.

Also I think the Sunrice pre packed rice cups are infused with something to make them a tad tastier. I hope you find something to make it edible for you :smile: