You must eat breakfast if you want to lose weight

Options

Replies

• o2bADyer
    Options
    The only thing you must do is to maintain a calorie deficit consistently.

For some people (the majority I would wager) having breakfast helps with that....

Yes, agree! :wink:
  • jackieatx
    jackieatx Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    All this weight loss must be an illusion then. I can't remember the last time I ate before 12.
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    Since joining MFP I have tried to eat breakfast in the morning. Most of the time I am not hungry until about 11am and when I try to eat early 7am to 9:30 ish I find it really hard to stomach. Usually resulting in trying to force it down. Surely that cannot be right for me. I would really love to see some evidence that eating early starts your metabolism up as I have heard time and time again.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    Apparently the key to losing weight is to eat breakfast all day long. Man, if only I'd known...

:love:
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    Why eat if you aren't hungry? I don't understand that. Hunger is a signal.

I'm not hungry in the AM. I'm not shoving food in my mouth unless my body tells me too.
  • MonkRocker
    Options
    This thread is awesome.

OP: that's a glorious backpedal mid-thread.

"You must eat breakfast if you want to lose weight."

*angry pitchfork-wielding mob forms*

"Well, I didn't mean you have to, like really REALLY have to. I just mean you could try it maybe, and it might work for you. Maybe. It worked for me, tho...is what I'm sayin..."

Troll spotted.
  • dawnwark
    dawnwark Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I finally started seeing a nutrionist after a million half *kitten* attmepts at weight loss for 20 years. This is the first time that I have had any success at all and am on my way to my first 10 pounds. Her advice to me, which was contrary to anything that I had ever been told, was "eat breakfast when you are hungry, not necessarily within 30 minutes of rising". I am limited to 1600 calories a day and this strategy has helped me immensely. I now eat breakfast at 9:30 - lean protein and multrigrain carb and yogurt and then my small meals as the day progresses. I normally don't eat after dinner (not a late night snacker) so it has been very comfortable hitting that calorie goal.

I used to get up at 5:30 and eat 200 calories and then be starving before I even hit my desk at 7:30...just setting the whole day into a tailspin.

This has worked well for me to eat later....
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I agree. A hearty snort of cocaine in the morning really gets my metabolism going.
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    fry-can-t-tell-meme-generator-can-t-tell-if-trolling-or-just-really-ignorant-2af63e.jpg
  • CarmenLynn75
    CarmenLynn75 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    Well I know that personally, if I don't have a breakfast of some nature, I'll eat way more at lunch and at dinner. I find if I eat a high fibre breakfast, I am fuller all day. It does work for me. But then I once lost (12yrs ago) 160 pounds by basically starving too- and don't get on me for it- it certainly wasn't by choice- so either will work, it's just if you'd like to do it healthy or not.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Bad habit to eat when you're not hungry and is the number one reason why I'm overweight
  • akkreps
    Options
    No advantage to weight loss? Tell that to the people that were told they would DIE if they didn't lose weight!
  • ashumeow
    ashumeow Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I eat good amount of food which has good amount of carbs and less protein during breakfast...I eat a lot during lunch... Finally, i eat less during dinner...
    Actually breakfast is essential and need to be taken BUT that does not give full assurance that u will lose weight...

There are some people who skip breakfast and eat more during lunch...they also lose weight.

Also there are some people who eat less during breakfast and lunch...but eat a lot during dinner. .. they also lose weight...
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    Different ways of eating help different people stick to a calorific deficit and lose weight. And those different ways do not have to be rigid or consistent every day, so long as you keep that calorific deficit over the course of a week.

If I worked in an office that had kitchen facilities I'd eat my breakfast mid-morning, like I do at the weekend, which saves me the snack calories I otherwise need to see me through to lunch if I eat breakfast at 7am.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    In on troll thread!
  • annsc
    Options
    I dont think it is a MUST but it does help me to have a little something. During the week when exercise is limited I eat a yogurt for breakfast but on the weekends when I burn around 2000 calories a day cycling I always eat a breakfast. Oatmeal with fruit. If not I bonk out on the rides.
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    I agree. A hearty snort of cocaine in the morning really gets my metabolism going.

I like to sprinkle cocaine on my Honey Bunches of Oats. Man, I burn all day long after a bowl of that!
  • natalieg0307
    natalieg0307 Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast isn't a MUST to lose weight. Glad it's working for you. I only eat breakfast when I'm hungry. That works for me.
  • jeditemple
    jeditemple Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Some people just can't eat breakfast -- I'm one of those. I suffer from IBS and that just doesn't work too well for my digestive system. I might be able to eat some light carbs (pretzels, bread, crackers, etc.) and the occasional yogurt, but my body works better when I eat an early lunch (around 11). Everyone is different and their eating habits are not always by choice. Sometimes the body makes its own schedule.
  • CyeRyn
    CyeRyn Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Some days I eat breakfast, some days I don't. You can check my diary. Most day's I don't but I make up the calories later in the day. Today I'm eating breakfast just because I'm hungry. If I don't eat breakfast its simply because I'm not hungry. I refuse to force myself to eat if I'm not hungry. Even after all this skipping breakfast, and eating back most of my exercise calories, I still manage to lose weight. Do what works for you and makes you feel great during the day.