I need breakfast ideas

Options
kristinb78
kristinb78 Posts: 5 Member
I am tired of egg whites and I am completely out of ideas. Once in a while I have oatmeal but I'm bored with that too. Any suggestions? I would prefer recipes under 10 minutes total prep and cook time. I am a working mom and don't have time to cook all day.

Replies

• mjj79
    mjj79 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I just posted this on another thread but worth reposting :) 1/2 cup cottage cheese(2%), 1 TBSP sugar free smuckers, a little splenda and 1/2 pack of crushed emerald cinnamon almonds. Heat for 20 to 25 seconds. It's around 140 cals I think. (I used a full cup and it was 260 cals.)
  • just4nessa
    just4nessa Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I have low fat cottage cheese and fruit when I'm tired of eggs.
  • mdb543
    mdb543 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Check out my blog.. http://fitandtoneforlife.blogspot.com It is a relatively new blog and I'm still working on it, but I have lots of high protein breakfast recipes on there that are low budget and simple to make when you don't have much time!! Hope that helps
  • Franticantics
    Options
    heat up mashed banana with coconut milk (or normal, i'm dairy free) add raspberries, a little ground almonds, or whatever you fancy adding :)
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I like to make the Bisquick mini quiches using a muffin tin on Sundays for the work week ahead.
    And instead of the whole eggs, I do one egg and three egg whites (sorry I know you said you're tired of egg whites) and the Healthsmart Bisquick. I use whatever cheese, meat, vegetables, spices I have around. I had a tiny bit of sausage left the other day and some sharp cheese with a sprinkle of onion powder and parsley flakes and it was really good. Also you don't really need 2 cups of cheese, one heaping cupful does just fine.

Then warm 2 of them for 24 seconds (my husband has it to a science) and enjoy throughout the week.
    The muffin tin version only takes like 25 minutes to bake.

I know someone on here has gotta have that cottage cheese quiche recipe too that's probably healthier than this one but my hubs doesn't like cottage cheese.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,161,157187-224204,00.html

Also egg, tomato, avocado on an English muffin is delish.
    I do bagel thins and crunchy peanut butter a lot too for about 310 calories.
    Hope this helps. :happy:
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    cottage cheese
    cereal with almond milk
    omelette that i make the night before
    mixed fruit, all fresh
    english muffin with peanut butter

All of those are a few of the things I have for breakfast.
  • PhilyPhresh
    PhilyPhresh Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    I am tired of egg whites and I am completely out of ideas. Once in a while I have oatmeal but I'm bored with that too. Any suggestions? I would prefer recipes under 10 minutes total prep and cook time. I am a working mom and don't have time to cook all day.

Have you tried adding things to the eggs? Try and saute Onions, Red Bells, Zuchinni, and Spinach with some garlic and chili powder. Pour in the eggs after veggies are nice and soft. I usually eat some nuts and a piece of fruit with them. (I've done this almost every morning for the past 10 months, changing the veggies from time to time).

Epic breakfast!
  • elizabethis
    elizabethis Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    May sound weird or unappetizing... I'm not crazy about "normal" breakfast foods, but I still want to eat something in the morning. I often have a slice of wheat bread, toasted, with lowfat cheese and sliced tomato. This morning I had 1/2 c. high protein pasta with homemade spaghetti sauce. Basically, I'm saying if you're willing, throw in non-traditional breakfast choices. Leftovers work fine for me and I'd rather eat 2 lunches :wink:
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Jamey's Spinach Smoothie:

1 c. spinach
    4-6 Strawberries
    1/4 c. blueberries
    1/2 banana
    1/4 c. unsweetened almond milk (or any milk)
    1/4 c. 0% plain greek yogurt (or any yogurt)
    1/2 scoop protein powder (optional)
    6-8 ice cubes

Blend together and enjoy! It makes a lot for under 200 calories and keeps me full until lunch. SOOOO yummy!!!!
  • karinschoultz
    karinschoultz Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I like non breakfast type foods in the morning. This morning I had very thin whole wheat pepperige farm bread with mashed avocado, low sodium turkey, tomatoes, and mustard. Yesterday it was a slice of thin cheese pizza and some grapes.
  • deerslayer1963
    Options
    I am new here, so forgive me yall if I post in the wrong place. Have you tried Emily bites.com, ( and hungry girl , and you can get a few from the weight watchers site) ? Emily bites has down home recipes based on the weight watcher points plus. I have made some of her recipes and what I have made has turned out really good. Hope this helps you, and anyone else thats looking for new ideas.
    While I am at it, is there anyone that can help me get started here on this site? I am looking for recipes to make that will help me and my husband on our little weight loss journey. Like menus for a week, that way I can keep track of my calories and my weight watcher points. So please someone help....
    Thank you very much...
  • mkitson85
    Options
    I know you said you are tired of oatmeal, but I found a recipe on Pinterest that is for refridgerated overnight oatmeal. It is really good and you can add different kinds of fruit and sweeteners to it for different flavors. I have posted the website below where all different recipes are. Hope you like!

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

If you scroll down a little on the webpage you will see where you can click on the different recipes. I eat these every morning at work and they keep me full until lunch and they are high in protein and fiber and low in fat :happy:
  • anghigdon
    anghigdon Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I know you mentioned you're tired of egg whites but have you tried making an egg mcmuffin with them. I saute some onions or spinach into them. Put on a light/high fiber english muffin with a slice of lowfat cheese, ham and a slice of tomato...YUM!
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I have 1 or 2 squares of dark chocolate (.25 - .5 serving)
    A cup or 2 of coffee
    A smoothie:

6 oz Lifeway Plain Kefir (fermented milk with 12 different live cultures)
    1 serving Greek Yogurt (I use Chobani because it has 5 live cultures, 2 of which overlap with the kefir)
    And then frozen fruit, 2 servings or a little less.
    I used to put bee pollen granules in it, but I use those in my protein shake now instead. They go together better.

I usually use mostly blueberries, but I often use citrus (different types of oranges. I used to add a quarter lemon, but it is to tart now with the yogurt and kefir). I will usually put 2 large strawberries or 3 small with my blueberries. I will sometimes us blackberries. Raspberries I am conservative with because the frozen ones are usually very tart. I will cut up mangos, melons, kiwis or whatever as well. I add a banana if they are getting to ripe and I don't want them going bad. I used to use a banana as my base fruit, and add whatever else I wanted.

To prep the fruit without it sticking together I will:

1- Put my cut fruit on a tray or plate and cover.
    2- Freeze individually.
    3-Remove from tray/plate after frozen.
    4-Put in a zip lock bag. Then back in the freezer.

During strawberry picking season, I will go to the fields and pick only strawberries that will be bad tomorrow, take them home and prep them right away. I usually eat a bunch! These make the most insanely delicious smoothies!

If you live in the Northwest, all the way from the Pacific to western Montana, huckleberries are awesome (and wild blueberries) and they are both PLENTIFUL!!! I am gonna miss huckleberry picking. I always mix the blueberries I find out there when huckleberry picking. I live in Ohio now, so no huckleberries… :-(

Someone mentioned using cored, peeled apples… I like the idea. Not sure if that would be to dense frozen, but my curiosity is peeked!

I made an avocado smoothie with ginger and hemp milk a couple weeks ago and it was really yummy as well...
  • menyeca71
    Options
    8 oz Plain Greek Yogurt with 1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean Cereal will give you loads of protein - 36grams to be exact and only 280 cal
    1/2 cup Kashi Go Lean with 8oz skim milk - 21grams of protein, 220 cal
    8oz Plain Greek Yogurt with 1/2 cup blueberries or rasberries 23 grams of protein, 181 cal
  • TheNEWMonicaB
    TheNEWMonicaB Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    I have a peanut butter and jelly sandwich every morning. I use 2 slices of Roman Meal whole wheat bread (120 cals), 1 tbsp of natural creamy peanut butter from Trader Joe's (95 cals) and 1 tbsp of blackberry preserves from Trader Joe's (50 cals) for a total of 265 cals. It keeps me satisfied until lunch. If I need a little extra protein, I add a hard boiled egg (whole or just the white), or I will have a piece of fruit (necatrine, strawberries, cantaloupe, etc...) an hour or so after. :happy:
  • piratesaregrand
    piratesaregrand Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    I make a huge batch on the weekends then have 3 or 4 for breakfast during the week

Oatmeal pancakes

6 egg whites
    1 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup oatmeal
    2 tsp sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon

Put all in blender and process until smooth. Makes about 8 pancakes, using 1/4 cup of batter per pancake
  • Topher1978
    Topher1978 Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    I make a huge batch on the weekends then have 3 or 4 for breakfast during the week

Oatmeal pancakes

6 egg whites
    1 cup cottage cheese
    1 cup oatmeal
    2 tsp sugar
    1 tsp vanilla
    1 tsp cinnamon

Put all in blender and process until smooth. Makes about 8 pancakes, using 1/4 cup of batter per pancake
    Good God that sounds good!
  • tuppence1984
    tuppence1984 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    1 piece wholemeal toast
    dash of flora marg or whatever you like
    LF cottage cheese...

yum, fast, warm and healthy.
  • BernadetteChurch
    BernadetteChurch Posts: 2,210 Member
    Options
    I know you said you are tired of oatmeal, but I found a recipe on Pinterest that is for refridgerated overnight oatmeal. It is really good and you can add different kinds of fruit and sweeteners to it for different flavors. I have posted the website below where all different recipes are. Hope you like!

http://www.theyummylife.com/Refrigerator_Oatmeal

If you scroll down a little on the webpage you will see where you can click on the different recipes. I eat these every morning at work and they keep me full until lunch and they are high in protein and fiber and low in fat :happy:

I'm also a fan of the old "overnight porridge". I haven't looked at the site above, but I add porridge oats to some freshly squeezed orange juice and a grated apple and mix in a bit of yoghurt. I make enough for 2-3 days so I don't have to be preparing every day. It makes a nice change.

Sometimes I make a frittata and bring a slice to work with me. Can be eaten hot or cold, and is also a good way of getting extra vegetables into you. I usually make mine mushroom, but really you can use any vegetables.