Why is it so hard to stick to my diet

Options
13»

Replies

• BreakingUpWithObesity2013
    Options
    Im struggling really bad right now also...2 weeks ago I was doing so well and now 2 weeks later i weighed myself and im up 12 lbs! So back on it today..lets see how long it lasts..... =( I wish u luck to sticking to it!!
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    am i the only one who has been struggling so much to lose weight? I mean i do everything wrong, im basically yo yo dieting, We try to eat healthy but it last till the weekend. I try to gym but it also lasts for 2 to 3 weeks. I have lost the same 5kg and gained it back over and over again. Worst part is when everyone you havent seen in a while go on about how much you have gained. Sometimes i really feel like just puking my heart out on them because i feel no one understands what i am really going through.No one understands how hard it is to resist something you love and then eat 5 servings of it when no one is watching.

How did you guys do it, if anyone has ever suffered from whatever illness i have, which i call "lack of self dicipline"

I had a floundered with diets for 15 years. Don't give up. I can't tell you what to do, or anyone else, but this is what worked for me:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

Best of luck to you! Just don't give up.
  • nowakkk
    nowakkk Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    It's a constant struggle for me. Some days are good, others are bad. For me, these last few months have been the worst and getting closer and closer to my goal and then making mistakes along the way have been hard on me. I'll sit in my room cry until my body goes into convulsions (not healthy). It's a process and there is going to be ups in the scale and there is going to be downs. I **** up on a weekly basis.The main thing we all need to remember is consistency is key. Motivation for a healthier / fitter life is the most important thing. And if we have a piece of cake, it isn't the end of the world. Enjoying life is more important than not.

The battle to get to where we want to be could take years, but baby steps. Learning to love myself is more important. I'm still working on it.
  • bemott
    bemott Posts: 180
    Options
    It's def a struggle, especially the closer I get to goal weight because I get cocky. I find if I just make myself log in what I ate no matter what I ate it helps me tremendously. Recently I had days where went over calories by double but still logged it all. Keeps me honest and helps me stop binge eating. Keep at it, it's tough work.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    am i the only one who has been struggling so much to lose weight? I mean i do everything wrong, im basically yo yo dieting, We try to eat healthy but it last till the weekend. I try to gym but it also lasts for 2 to 3 weeks. I have lost the same 5kg and gained it back over and over again. Worst part is when everyone you havent seen in a while go on about how much you have gained. Sometimes i really feel like just puking my heart out on them because i feel no one understands what i am really going through.No one understands how hard it is to resist something you love and then eat 5 servings of it when no one is watching.

How did you guys do it, if anyone has ever suffered from whatever illness i have, which i call "lack of self dicipline"
    Your probably cutting your calories too low and setting yourself up for failure. That's what diets are all about. If you want to work out and follow the directions for MFP you will lose weight and not be hungry....or you can do what your doing and stay hungry.
  • it is called lazyness or not wanting it bad enough you have to go into it full hearted with the goal to change not to **** it off do what you have to do ALL IT TAKES IS ALL YOU GOT
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I know EXACTLY how you feel. Up and down with weight, you're on it for a few weeks and then it comes crashing down and you wonder why you are still trying? Yea, I've been there. It's a nasty cycle and very hard to overcome sometimes. I just keep going.
  • HMToomey
    Options
    Don't diet. Eat food that you enjoy and fit it into your calories/macros.

Find exercise you enjoy and set a schedule.

Absolutely this. Stop calling it a diet and depriving yourself. If it fits your macros and your calorie allotment then eat! Sometimes just knowing I can have a cupcake whenever I want is enough for me to not eat a cupcake!
  • trackmom66
    Options
    I so agree with this, I would say well next week. Now I just say I blew this meal and make sure I do better with the next.
    I really have a problem with will power. The crazy thing is I am such a control freak, but when it comes to eating I become so out of control.
    This site really help. I'm going to win I know it.
  • dadzpeach
    dadzpeach Posts: 174 Member
    Options

exactly
  • Louie1956
    Louie1956 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    SO - - - - here I am - 74 years old and still haven't learned how to control my addiction!!!! BUT these words come from my husband of 55 years. "If you don't keep trying - you will NEVER succeed!!" I keep trying and many days I do succeed!! This website with all the TOOLS has helped so much. My goal is to stay healthy and active!!
    No matter how old you are or where you are in the journey of your life - - the days you are in control are GOOD days. Erase the bad ones and move on - - -
    I hear your pain and frustration - - I so so get it!!!

REMEMBER: You MUST keep trying and you WILL succeed!!

LindaLou
  • bbriscoe13
    bbriscoe13 Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    You def are not the only one! I have struggled with this throughout my entire journey. I got to a point where I really wanted to lose the weight so I stopped cheating on the weekend. I was just so surprised how much weight I lost and how much better I felt after that. I am very close with my family and friends and it seems like every weekend it is someones birthday or a cookout or a ball tournament or something. I stopped drinking, except for an occasional select 55 and I brought my dinner to family functions and ate with everyone else. I ate before weddings and brought healthy snacks with me. I was DD for alomst a year. I have cut back on being so extreme and just focused on moderation. It can be done...but don't get discouraged. Everyone has a bad day, don't give up. I hope you have people in your life that are as understanding and comforting as I had in mine. My husband was a huge encouragement because we were doing it together...it helped so much!
  • Just1Kiki
    Just1Kiki Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I am certainly no expert, but I have found that it's important to always recognize a slip-up as just that and get back to it. I used to constantly do the "oh, I blew this Monday, so I might as well blow the week and start next week..." thing. Now, if I slip up on Monday I just have to accept it and move on and start again THE NEXT MEAL. Not the next day. Not the next week.

Nobody is perfect and you can't beat yourself up for those imperfections. All you can do is move forward from the moment you note that you had a slip-up.

that's the best advice bc thats something that I am working on. If I mess up and cheat on a meal start over the NEXT MEAL NOT THE NEXT DAY! It's all about acknowledging you're human and take ownership and Move On or you'll have a cycle. Thanks!
  • Pixie_star1234
    Pixie_star1234 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    It's not the fact that you eat 5 cookies, but how often do you eat 5 cookies too many? It's ok to indulge yourself as long as the rest of the week you're doing fine. Hell, you can even have 2 cheat days if you want. Yes, it does require discipline and if you're not disciplined it means you don't want it hard enough. Sorry, but it needs to be said! Only you can change! And you have to want it bad enough!
  • missytrishy
    missytrishy Posts: 203 Member
    Options

^^This

Don't start this as a "diet", which usually means "short term". Don't deprive yourself, just portion control. Suck it up and get that exercise in because once you hit "goal weight" you won't be able to just stop and stay that weight. it's not magic, it requires consistent effort to get the weight off and then consistent effort to maintain your health throughout the rest of your life.

It's not easy for any of us.
  • mphlab
    mphlab Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    Totally hear you. I have been a Yo Yo dieter since I was 15 & I am 45. What is helping me this time is not over restricting. I think you may be a black & white thinker like me - you are either ON or OFF your diet. ON mean starving yourself & killing yourself in the gym and OFF means if it is not nailed down, you'll eat it. I eat at least my Basal Metabolic Rate & below my Total Daily Energy Expenditure. (http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/). I am more active in life instead of making exercise a separate thing. Just like many of the "don't think of it as a diet" folks have said! MFP sets calories very low - it is easy to feel deprived. Most of my colleagues who started out on January 1 to "diet" restrictively have fallen off the wagon No I am not even halfway to where I need to be but I am almost to 40 lbs lost since then while they are where they started or worse! You got this! please don't wait until you are 45 to stop torturing yourself.
  • book_mage
    book_mage Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I definitely understand. I feel like I just can't help myself, and I get hungry when just look at food. It also doesn't help that I don't like healthy food. So when people say that they just eat less of what they normally eat, it's kinda of like, "Well....I eat crap. So that's not gonna help me." It's doubly hard trying to re-vamp your entire eating style and habits. We just gotta keep trucking.
  • dpk1955
    dpk1955 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Very good advise!
  • dpk1955
    dpk1955 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Very good advise
    I am certainly no expert, but I have found that it's important to always recognize a slip-up as just that and get back to it. I used to constantly do the "oh, I blew this Monday, so I might as well blow the week and start next week..." thing. Now, if I slip up on Monday I just have to accept it and move on and start again THE NEXT MEAL. Not the next day. Not the next week.

Nobody is perfect and you can't beat yourself up for those imperfections. All you can do is move forward from the moment you note that you had a slip-up.
    [/quote]