Best to eat before of after exercise?

Options
13»

Replies

• nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

Fats and Protein in the AM and Protein and Carbs in the PM.

Nonsense!

Personally, I eat all macros at each meal.

The science and results say otherwise:

http://www.dangerouslyhardcore.com/2031/18-months-of-carb-back-loading-with-julia-ladewski/
  • nml2011
    nml2011 Posts: 156 Member
    Options

I have been eating a large calorie excess 500 - 1000 cals above maintance on a workout days, eat all my carbs either post workout and in the evening and lose approx 1% bf a month and my weight stays roughly the same +/- 2kg.

One aspect of before/after that is most challenging for me is exercise calories. I don't front load because I don't know if my plans will be changed by something with my kids when I get home from work. Then when I get home from the gym, sometimes after 8PM I don't have the time or appetite to make up 2K on a Swim and weights day.
    My net cal chart for the last 7 days looks weak but I certainly don't feel weak. (for some reason, day 1 of the 7 day plot is always wrong).
    I used to have no problem grazing through a bag of Doritos at night. How things change when one decides to finally make real habit changes.

That's fair enough, I don't have kids to worry about so I can plan my eating in advance.

I backload my carbs the night before as I always train in the AM (I have black coffee only before hitting the gym at 7am) and then a protein shake post workout with protein and carbs (50g Whey & 75g Dextrose)
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    Options
    I don't eat until I get back from exercising. Then I have my lunch that is high in protein with some carbs to help balance things out.

My sister disagrees with this wholeheartedly. She believes that this is entirely counterproductive. That I should eat before I exercise and I won't lose weight because I eat after my workout.

I do 60 min of cardio and 10 min of strength training 6 days of the week. Should I be eating after a workout? Not opinions, facts please.

And I'm not gonna fight with you. I only fight with family..because I know all their secrets. It's more fun that way ! :)

FACTS: My personal experiment all with a link to a document with facts that what you are doing is beneficial. Working out fasted in the morning and then waiting one hour to eat helps your body internally create HGH, which helps you lose weight. While I do not need to lose weight anymore because I'm under 12% body fat (I spent most of my life fat and obese), I still use this process to get the youthful effects of HGH and simply eat up my maintenance calories the rest of the day.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/746754-how-to-get-abs-with-pics
  • Yetta729
    Yetta729 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Haha, I wondered the same. But got different answers.
    So, just figure out what works for you - I did find out that my stomach needs to be almost empty for a successful workout. otherwise I just get sick and nauseous.
    Stick to what works for you!!
    :happy:
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If you have already lost 123 lbs, haven't you already answered your own question? (Congrats BTW)

^^^THIS!!!^^^ :bigsmile:
  • bufger
    bufger Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Today I ate 2 bananas and a packet of low calorie crisps (potato chips if you're american, they were 88 kcals). I swam for an hour and then had my meal about 2 hours after that. That seemed to work ok for me! i guess everyone is different.

I try not to eat a big meal before training if i have to eat a meal beforehand.
  • kendraleigh88
    Options
    Banana and fat-free yogurt half hour before I exercise!
    Vector bar after I exercise!
  • kendraleigh88
    Options
    Banana and fat-free yogurt half hour before I exercise!
    Vector bar after I exercise!
  • xSCiNTILLATEx79
    xSCiNTILLATEx79 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    She's silly.

After workout is just fine, and probably better for most.

If you always go into a workout having just eaten, the first thing burned is the food you ate, and since you likely kicked off insulin response, fat storage and carb burning mode are now on, so not even getting into the fat stores likely.

Whereas if 2+ hrs from last meal, fat burning mode is on, and you should have plenty of carb stores to have a great workout (as opposed to morning workout after sleeping fast may have you low on stores).

Nope, I think your idea is better. That way any carbs can top off glucose stores you just used, rather than being surplus that goes you know where.

This^^