You must eat breakfast if you want to lose weight

Options

Replies

• jvdx
    jvdx Posts: 57
    Options
    Didn't read the whole OP because the subject line and first few sentences were just too silly. There are NO "musts" in weight loss.

You MUST eat a calorie deficit under TDEE for weight loss.

As someone already pointed out, this is not true. Just as eating less than TDEE is no guarantee of weight loss.

So if you eat less then you burn, you do not lose weight?
    please, do explain how that works. because my mind just exploded all over the table
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    please, do explain how that works. because my mind just exploded all over the table

I think this is a questionable method of weight loss.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Medical problems could cause water retention that could offset a very small deficit.

that's not really "weight" tho.
  • stacygayle
    stacygayle Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    If I eat breakfast when I get up, I'm starving all day no matter what I eat. If I wait until I'm hungry to eat breakfast say around 1000 then I am fine the rest of the day, so I eat breakfast just not until I'm hungry. I've been losing a pound or so a week, which is what I want :)
  • AngryDiet
    Options
    Just as eating less than TDEE is no guarantee of weight loss.

How can it not be, eventually?

Medical problems could cause water retention that could offset a very small deficit.

Surely the person would reach a point where they will stop retaining water though?
  • escloflowneCHANGED
    escloflowneCHANGED Posts: 3,038 Member
    Options
    I stopped reading once the OP said must....I hope you all did the same!
  • AngryDiet
    Options

that's not really "weight" tho.

Sure is. But not a good counter example, regardless, I think.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the whole OP because the subject line and first few sentences were just too silly. There are NO "musts" in weight loss.

You MUST eat a calorie deficit under TDEE for weight loss.

As someone already pointed out, this is not true. Just as eating less than TDEE is no guarantee of weight loss.

He didn't say it's a guarantee. He said it's a precondition.

must    /mʌst/ [muhst] auxiliary verb
    1. to be obliged or bound to by an imperative requirement: I must keep my word.
    2. to be under the necessity to; need to: Animals must eat to live.
    3. to be required or compelled to, as by the use or threat of force: You must obey the law.
    4. to be compelled to in order to fulfill some need or achieve an aim: We must hurry if we're to arrive on time.
    5. to be forced to, as by convention or the requirements of honesty: I must say, that is a lovely hat.
  • Zangpakto
    Zangpakto Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    Better idea, eat when hungry, do not eat when not...

Simple yes? Drink 2 cups water before eating as well.

Oh, it is easy to lose, my body is currently used to 3000 calories intake due to carbo load and pre race, I can drop down back to 1500c a day, however my hunger is totally out control now as getting used to reduced again...

Also calories in is most important aspect as you might not always train when schedule or train enough, so keeping cals in tracked perfect is much more important.
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Not to mention, eating breakfast makes it easier to eat as much as I need to. Trying to eat 2200 clean calories between lunch and bed time can be really taxing.
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    And don't forget, no carbs after 3 pm or your face will fall off.
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options

As far as i know, nobody has proven anything that works for EVERY person on this forum. It is your opinioin that it is wrong.
    '

We aren't debating on the opinion.
    It's a fact that your body, and no one elses, goes into starvation mode if you skip breakfast.
    A 12 hour fact can't send you into starvation mode, not an opinion, not debateable.

You aren't special. It applies to 99 percent of people.

Im sorry that i didn't word my post properly, but as i have noticed, i seem to burn less calories for the rest of the day if i skip breakfast. SO it seemed to me that my body was slowing its metabolism since i hadn't eaten breakfast. I will analyze every word I use in the future, as obviously it is not starvation mode i am experiencing but something similar. However, this article pretty much shows what I believe if you are interested... http://ganet.gilmour.org/faculty/BurnettK/documents/importanceofallmeals.pdf
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Eating breakfast will help you lose weight only in that it gives you energy to jump start your day, so that when you really are ready to eat, the "inner animal" as I call it, won't jump out and ravenously overeat something horrible that you will regret later on. It keeps your blood sugar at a reasonable level which gives you good energy to work out, and keeps you in a pleasant mood so you aren't tempted to "eat your feelings".

So breakfast promotes better eating throughout the remainder of the day, and THAT will help with weight loss. But no, breakfast in and of itself does not make you lose weight better/faster.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options

Surely the person would reach a point where they will stop retaining water though?

It would depend on the medical problem and whether the source was resolved. I suppose over a very long period of time one could assume that fat loss might eventually catch up. And we would be talking about pretty severe problems.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Not to mention, eating breakfast makes it easier to eat as much as I need to. Trying to eat 2200 clean calories between lunch and bed time can be really taxing.

they don't have to be "clean"........
  • JGT3
    JGT3 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You must eat breakfast if you want to lose weight, and make sure it includes lean protein. Eating lean protein at breakfast is one of the most important things you can do to fell less hungry.

... unless hubris burns a ton of calories.

Best Line EVER!
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    So it may not be called "starvation mode" but this article calls it "fasting mode". This article is a good explination of what I think happens with my body. http://ganet.gilmour.org/faculty/BurnettK/documents/importanceofallmeals.pdf
  • 007blond
    Options
    I HATE breakfast! Its like force feeding. I have tried everything and do not enjoy anything.the only thing I have been able to manage is a protein drink (approx 110 cals) So I am pleased to hear it really doesnt matter as I would much rather have a low cal cereal bar or 100 cal popcorn in the evening.
  • AngryDiet
    Options

It would depend on the medical problem and whether the source was resolved. I suppose over a very long period of time one could assume that fat loss might eventually catch up. And we would be talking about pretty severe problems.

So, at best, it's an outlier, which only delays weight loss.

Any other ways?
  • ThisisSteph04
    ThisisSteph04 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Totally agree. I don't like eating breakfast in the morning, but if I don't...by 10:30AM every bag of potato chips in a 5 mile radius is in danger. lol :)