Grocery List Time!

Options
I'm making my grocery list, and I'm looking for tips on not-so-expensive ( I am a broke college student haha) foods to get. I am only learning to cook and sometimes am not so good so easy to make foods, and foods I can keep in the fridge at my work would be great. Any ideas?

Replies

• lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    As far as keeping food in the fridge or my desk at work, I always have the following:

Peanut butter (great w/ bananas on english muffin or frozen waffle)
    Yogurt based ranch dressing in case I need to get a fast food salad
    tea bags and honey
    hummus and crackers
    almonds or other nuts
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • HypnoticHaylee
    Options
    dried beans
    frozen veggies
    brown rice
    lentils
    quinoa
    whole wheat bread
    natural peanut butter
    fruit
  • LeenaRuns
    LeenaRuns Posts: 1,309 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt and lots of fresh produce!
  • 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options
    dried beans
    frozen veggies
    brown rice
    lentils
    quinoa
    whole wheat bread
    natural peanut butter
    fruit

Skippy Natural Peanut Butter looks and tastes just like the creamy version, however, so much better. I'd have to agree with this girl ^^^.
  • SC_tasia
    Options
    I'm a huge fan of dried beans and brown rice. I make up a big batch of each over the weekend and then have it to use all week. I also usually buy a rotisserie chicken and pull it apart (no skin) and store it in a tupperware container to toss in the beans, or rice, or on a salad. Also, I always have plenty of yogurts (there are tons of yogurt coupons available). Hope this helps!
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    tuna
    string cheese
    100 cal nuts
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Onions (by the bag, super cheap!)
    Carrots (the big ones are waaaaaaay cheaper!!)
    Parsnips
    Sweet potatoes
    chicken broth
    garlic

Those things mixed with some appropriate herbs, a little wine if you have it, and a protein of your choice (delicious with beef, chicken, lamb, even fish if you like that) are so versatile and super super healthy! Crock pot it, bake it, grill it, bbq it, it's delicious!
  • bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Green peppers
    Carrots
    Onions
    Spinach
    Apples
    (I could go on for quite awhile, but whatever produce is in season)

100-calorie ANYTHING
    Milk
    Yoplait light yogurt
    Light sour cream
    Oats (makes for a very easy, healthy AND CHEAP breakfast)
    Chicken breasts (buy them fresh, use what you can, then freeze 'em because they last for a LONG time)
    Brown rice
  • thechubner
    thechubner Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    dried beans
    frozen veggies
    brown rice
    lentils
    quinoa
    whole wheat bread
    natural peanut butter
    fruit

This - and I would add
    Grains:
    Old Fashioned oats
    Protien
    (If you aren't vegan)
    Eggs
    Chicken Breasts (Chicken breasts are actually cheaper than ground burger many times)

Misc:
    Boullion or Broth
    (Spices that can be purchased cheaply - Like 50 cents at dollar general)
    onion powder
    garlic powder
    italian seaoning
    oregano
    chili powder
    cumin

Veg
    Spinach is about $2 per bag - each bag should last a couple of days
    The Holy Trinity of Cheap versitile Vegetables (see next line)
    Onions, celary, and carrots (chop and simmer a few of these in a little olive oil for a minute or two - add a cup of rice - stir - for a minute or two then add two cups of your favorite broth and let it simmer for 15 minutes or until the liquid is mostly cooked out. Turn off the heat and cover. While this is covered and waiting cook one scrambled egg (salt and pepper to taste) - dish out a portion of the rice add your egg to it and stir in a little soy sauce if you like - it's quick it's delicious and you should get at least 3 meals out of about $1.50 worth of ingredients. Just cook a fresh egg each time you make it, or if you're feeling froggy add a grilled chicken breast. You can use simmered Onions Carrots and Celary to make your own Vegetable broth that works GREAT - these vegetables, even if you don't like to eat them alone compliment many foods very well

Good luck - I try to eat healthy on a budget too so anytime you want ideas or recipes let me know
  • shoomai1227
    shoomai1227 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you're going to be adding peanut butter to your shopping list...please be mindful of a recall that's going on now:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/09/24/peanut-butter-recall_n_1910437.html?utm_hp_ref=fb&src=sp&comm_ref=false#sb=2901438,b=facebook

Inexpensive staple items I have and I normally buy them if they're on sale or at club warehouses:

Chicken breasts
    Frozen veggies
    Eggs
    Turkey bacon
    Grain bread
    Whole wheat pasta
    Brown Rice
  • CrimsonDiva7
    CrimsonDiva7 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Great suggestions!
  • rhall9058
    rhall9058 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Look for crock pot meals and invest in a crock pot. They can be made healthy, while you are gone, and then you divide them up into lunches (or extra dinners) Best part is, you can pretty much make anything in them! I'm pretty sure our stove top or microwave hasn't been used all summer. It's either been the crock pot or the grill.
  • bkibbs
    bkibbs Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Look for crock pot meals and invest in a crock pot. They can be made healthy, while you are gone, and then you divide them up into lunches (or extra dinners) Best part is, you can pretty much make anything in them! I'm pretty sure our stove top or microwave hasn't been used all summer. It's either been the crock pot or the grill.

This!
  • JPKemp
    Options
    bump...
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    tuna
    string cheese
    100 cal nuts

I second this and would add canned white chicken, pickles (even pickles with splenda) no sugar jello, watch for the soups when they go on sale especially the one's that are zero points on ww., peanut butter, and fruit
  • Erienneb
    Erienneb Posts: 592 Member
    Options

I do try to do this, we have a 5gal crock pot haha. I live with my parents still though and while they are very supportive of my food and what I want to eat, the needs of the many override me with the crock pot sometimes. But I do what I can with it.

Thank you all for such wonderful and delicious sounding food!
  • mommanurse33
    mommanurse33 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    If you have local orchards, produce stands, or farmer's markets, those are great places to buy inexpensive, in-season produce. We have a local orchard that sells a wide variety of apples, pears, and peaches between 69cents a pound up to $1.29/lb. Squashes, tomatoes, (one place I go to sells dried beans) peppers, melons, onions, potatoes, and egg plant for a lot less than what the grocery stores sell. Be careful of buying bulk with certain items. The deals may not be as good as they seem, and if you are living on your own, you may end up throwing out a good portion of it. Good luck!:happy:
  • chellec23
    chellec23 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Onions (by the bag, super cheap!)
    Carrots (the big ones are waaaaaaay cheaper!!)
    Parsnips
    Sweet potatoes
    chicken broth
    garlic

Be careful with onions, though, it is said that if you cut an onion you have to use it right away because even if it's wrapped up it will absorb all the bad stuff it can!!
  • gissalm
    Options
    flat out bread (90 cals)
    laughing cow cheese
    apples, peaches, grapefruit ,limes, lettuce, red onions, broccoli, spinach
    Parmesan cheese
    Spray olive oil
    yogurt- i like Activia, (70 cals)
    Tilapia filets
    Kitchen basics vegetable broth
    pepper and salt
    chicken breast (if you buy it frozen it may be cheaper)
    Canned tunna