How do you do 1200?

Options

Replies

• jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    That 'do not eat' list is just as ridiculous as the zero calorie list..

wow.
  • avocado22
    avocado22 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • tryinghard71
    Options
    I don't.

Are you talking 1200 net or gross. I do 1200 net. But I eat 1600, 1800 sometimes over 2000 every day. But I net 1200.
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options

wow.

Amen, sister.
  • professorRAT
    professorRAT Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    I don't.

Are you talking 1200 net or gross. I do 1200 net. But I eat 1600, 1800 sometimes over 2000 every day. But I net 1200.

Sadly, evidence suggests many people on MFP have no idea what the word "net" means. I have concluded this is the reason for so much of the confusion I see on threads about this topic. :heavy sigh:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose 3 pounds? Eat a lot more than 1200! You should be eating close to maintenance that close to your goal weight.
    Hey, I'm trying to lose 3 lbs... Could you explain why that is please?

Because constant 'dieting' and staying in a severe calorie deficit causes your metabolism to slow down to accommodate the lack of fuel. Slow down = plateau. You also start losing lean muscles mass which is very bad. Your muscle not only make you look lean and sexy but they LOVE to burn calorie. Lost lean muscle mass = even slower metabolism. So in a nutshell LADIES QUIT STARVING YOURSELF. You CAN eat more to weigh less, it works!!!!

1 - Eat above your BMR (for most of us that's more than 1200 and less than 2000 calories, pick something in between)
    2 - EAT PROTEIN! Try to net between 85 to 100 grams a day
    3 - strength train and lift weights. Have you ever seen a side by side comparison of a woman that weighs 140lbs - one has lot's of lean muscle mass and the other one does not. The one that has preserved her muscles through good nutrition and proper calories looks FANTASTIC and like she weighs less, where as the other woman looks flabby and pudgy still.

SO ONCE AGAIN LADIES...QUIT TRYING TO 'DIET' YOURSELF DOWN TO 110 POUNDS AND A SIZE 0. EAT!
  • JPKemp
    Options
    I tried the 1200 calorie number and gained 6 pounds. I upped my calories to 2000 (about 2 weeks ago) and I have lost those 6 plus 2. I run 5-7 miles every other day with a 3-5 mile walk on the days I do not run. LESS IS NOT ALWAYS BETTER....you have to find what works for YOU...that takes some time and so willingness to experiment until you find the right combination...and then in about 6 weeks, you have to change it all up again...as your body changes so should your calories, food, and activity....GOOD LUCK....
  • rlmadrid
    rlmadrid Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Warning: This is a long post, but I already had it typed up for a friend of mine with the exact same question.

(deleted some because it's long)

Here is a list of some foods that might be of help when grocery shopping:
    ZERO/NEGATIVE CALORIE FOODS
    apple
    beet
    blueberries
    broccoli
    cranberry
    carrot
    chicory
    cauliflower
    endive
    garden cress
    garlic
    grapefruit
    green bean
    hot chili peppers
    lemon
    lime
    lettuce
    onion
    orange
    papaya
    peach
    pineapple
    raspberries
    spinach
    strawberries
    tomato
    tangerine
    watermelon
    zucchini

FAT BURNING FOODS
    oatmeal
    almonds
    protein powder
    olive oil
    berries
    eggs
    beans/legumes
    lean meat
    fish
    whole grains
    nut butters
    green veggies
    calcium
    green tea
    parmesan
    cannellini beans
    brown rice
    sweet potatoes
    cinnamon
    pine nuts

METABOLISM BOOSTING FOODS
    Water
    Green Tea
    low fat yogurt
    oatmeal
    hot peppers

DO NOT EAT
    no butter
    no potatoes
    no sauces on meat (or VERY limited) Spices are okay though
    no cheese (limited for you, since you like cheese alot)
    no sugar (added. natural is okay)
    no juice (fruit juice is just wasted calories)
    no alcohol
    no added salt
    no processed foods (limited, because "no" is hard to do)
    no white flour
    no fast food
    no eating out
    no sugary cereal
    no ice cream
    no bottled gren tea (tea bags are good though)
    no red meat (unless it is extra lean. 95%)

THINGS TO DRINK
    green tea (boosts metabolism, no calories)
    lots of water
    fat free milk (instead of fatty milk)

THINGS TO EAT
    whole grain
    lots of veggies
    fresh fruit
    steel cut oats
    brown rice
    protein bars (check ingredients, or make your own)
    protein shakes
    natural peanut butter
    almond butter
    light/low fat yogurt (check sugar content)
    greek yogurt (check sugar content)
    hot peppers/spices (boosts metabolism)
    cinnamon
    garlic
    cocoa
    flax seed
    egg whites (protein protein protein!)
    lemon
    spinach

Please tell me you are joking about "negative foods".
  • joannathechef
    joannathechef Posts: 484 Member
    Options
    I make a big tupperware of salad at the start of the week and have it ready for a lunch or as 'starter' for dinner with wishbone spray or lemon juice dressing.

I do this because if I don;t have it 'ready to go' I turn to bread my big problem :)
  • rlmadrid
    Options

wow.

I didn't even bother to read it the first time. I have now, my head hurts.
  • jynxxxed
    jynxxxed Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options

wow.

I didn't even bother to read it the first time. I have now, my head hurts.

Did you know know that if we load up on oatmeal and fish our bodies will just burn up all of the fat? It's apparently that simple (who knew!)
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Warning: This is a long post, but I already had it typed up for a friend of mine with the exact same question.

(deleted some because it's long)

Here is a list of some foods that might be of help when grocery shopping:
    ZERO/NEGATIVE CALORIE FOODS
    apple
    beet
    blueberries
    broccoli
    cranberry
    carrot
    chicory
    cauliflower
    endive
    garden cress
    garlic
    grapefruit
    green bean
    hot chili peppers
    lemon
    lime
    lettuce
    onion
    orange
    papaya
    peach
    pineapple
    raspberries
    spinach
    strawberries
    tomato
    tangerine
    watermelon
    zucchini

FAT BURNING FOODS
    oatmeal
    almonds
    protein powder
    olive oil
    berries
    eggs
    beans/legumes
    lean meat
    fish
    whole grains
    nut butters
    green veggies
    calcium
    green tea
    parmesan
    cannellini beans
    brown rice
    sweet potatoes
    cinnamon
    pine nuts

METABOLISM BOOSTING FOODS
    Water
    Green Tea
    low fat yogurt
    oatmeal
    hot peppers

DO NOT EAT
    no butter
    no potatoes
    no sauces on meat (or VERY limited) Spices are okay though
    no cheese (limited for you, since you like cheese alot)
    no sugar (added. natural is okay)
    no juice (fruit juice is just wasted calories)
    no alcohol
    no added salt
    no processed foods (limited, because "no" is hard to do)
    no white flour
    no fast food
    no eating out
    no sugary cereal
    no ice cream
    no bottled gren tea (tea bags are good though)
    no red meat (unless it is extra lean. 95%)

THINGS TO DRINK
    green tea (boosts metabolism, no calories)
    lots of water
    fat free milk (instead of fatty milk)

THINGS TO EAT
    whole grain
    lots of veggies
    fresh fruit
    steel cut oats
    brown rice
    protein bars (check ingredients, or make your own)
    protein shakes
    natural peanut butter
    almond butter
    light/low fat yogurt (check sugar content)
    greek yogurt (check sugar content)
    hot peppers/spices (boosts metabolism)
    cinnamon
    garlic
    cocoa
    flax seed
    egg whites (protein protein protein!)
    lemon
    spinach

Please tell me you are joking about "negative foods".

^^^^ This list is utterly ridiculous! This shouldn't be painful 'diet' full of deprivation and starvation. Make this a lifestyle, eat a variety of foods, healthy, fresh, whole foods and ice cream and cookies sometimes too. Learn moderation and self control, that's the sustainable way to do it!
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options

wow.
    Agreed!! Haha. Sounds like something off a Pro-Ana website :noway:

Really you just have to keep track of calories, choose the lower calorie foods when you want to eat more, eat whatever you want in moderation and hold yourself accountable for what you're consuming. I think it takes some time to get used to it. I've been doing 1200 for about a month and a half. I go over sometimes, under sometimes (due to exercise calories) but all in all, my body has made the change from eating way more than I should to eating this lower amount.
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Just recalculated my goals and MFP gave me 1200 a day. I work out a lot, so I'm not worried about exercise calories, but just out of curiosity...how do you manage 1200 a day? Tips/tricks? :)

If you "work out a lot" you'll need more calories.

Also look up "nutritionally-rich foods" for getting the most out of your 1200 calories.
  • know_your_worth
    know_your_worth Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I don't.

Sadly, evidence suggests many people on MFP have no idea what the word "net" means. I have concluded this is the reason for so much of the confusion I see on threads about this topic. :heavy sigh:
    :laugh:
    Just to be clear- doesn't it say what our net calories when we check our calories for the week? It's like the average of the total number of calories we've eaten throughout the entire week, yes?

So, at first looking at this posters info- I thought what are they talking about? How can they eat more than 1200 each day, and net 1200? But at the same time, when you take into consideration that exercise calories create that deflict, I can see how that would be possible.

That being from a standpoint of simply reading what the chart is saying.

Is this not correct?
  • Davytah1983
    Davytah1983 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This thread is really helpful to me. I've been on 1650 for a while now and I've had very little of a loss. In fact I've put on 4lb :-( today the first day of being between 1200 - 1300.

This is a joke right? A grown man eating 1200-1300 calories in a day? :noway:

no joke.... Trying this out just for this week as Im not getting much of a chance for exercise this week due to work commitments.
    When im exercising Im eating well over 2000 but with not getting to the gym Im just trying this for this week. Not a long term thing back to normal next week
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Are you trying to lose 3 pounds? Eat a lot more than 1200! You should be eating close to maintenance that close to your goal weight.
  • rlmadrid
    Options
    I don't.

:laugh:
    Just to be clear- doesn't it say what our net calories when we check our calories for the week? It's like the average of the total number of calories we've eaten throughout the entire week, yes?

So, at first looking at this posters info- I thought what are they talking about? How can they eat more than 1200 each day, and net 1200? But at the same time, when you take into consideration that exercise calories create that deflict, I can see how that would be possible.

That being from a standpoint of simply reading what the chart is saying.

Is this not correct?

Correct. Food (intake) - Exercise (output) = net caloric intake for the day. MFP grants you your exercise calories because it has already calculated a deficit in the goal it gives you. So, (for OP too) if your goal is 1200 calories, and you walk off 300 calories, you may eat 1500 gross (or total) to meet your goal.

All that said, I would suggest recalculating your numbers. My goal is currently 2020 for maintenance and that came from BMR and TDEE calculations. I am usually within 300 calories of my goal, above or below, and that includes my exercise calories. I'm still losing. Have no fear eating more!
  • rlmadrid
    Options
    This thread is really helpful to me. I've been on 1650 for a while now and I've had very little of a loss. In fact I've put on 4lb :-( today the first day of being between 1200 - 1300.

This is a joke right? A grown man eating 1200-1300 calories in a day? :noway:

no joke.... Trying this out just for this week as Im not getting much of a chance for exercise this week due to work commitments.
    When im exercising Im eating well over 2000 but with not getting to the gym Im just trying this for this week. Not a long term thing back to normal next week

I'd still aim for AT LEAST 1500 daily. That is minimum. If you usually work out but are taking a week off, you should be meeting the same calorie level you meet if you subtract your "exercise calories" from a regular day. It won't negatively effect your progress, but restricting that much could affect your strength when you return to weight training as you won't be properly supporting your muscles.

Having said all of that, I'm not recommending that you force more food if you aren't hungry. A spoon of PB or a protein shake adds a few quick cals. Good luck!
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    Add 1000 calories and enjoy every last morsel of delicious vegetables, fruit, lean meat, and brown rice as I can. Work hard ,eat well, and watch the fat melt away.