Is yogurt healthy or unhealthy?

13»

Replies

• Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    It's old milk, all curdled, yuk. would you eat old green steak?

I think not. So unhealthy!

Absolute BS!
  • onematchfire
    onematchfire Posts: 13 Member
    It's old milk, all curdled, yuk. would you eat old green steak?

I think not. So unhealthy!

Some of the best things in life are fermented:

Wine / Beer / Cider / Mead / Liquor
    Sauerkraut / Kimchee / Pickles
    Chocolate
    Sriracha / Tabasco
    Salami / Prosciutto
    Yogurt / Cheese

If you eat grains, see also any bread that rises through the action of yeast. If you eat soy, see also miso, soy sauce and tempeh.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Yogurt is great, especially greek yogurt which has more protein. It's a staple for me and I've lost 71 pounds and have been maintaining below goal weight for two months.

There's nothing inherently wrong with sugar as part of a balanced diet. Carbophobia has gotten out of control on here and in society.

By the way, there's no such thing as a "fattening" food. It's calories in, calories out.
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    I eat low fat natural yoghurt, and it's pretty low in calories and has a bit of protein in it. With some low fat yoghurts you need to watch out for too much sugar.

I give my kids natural yoghurt - not because of calories, but to avoid too much sugar. As an adult I don't think it's as much of a problem. The yoghurts for kids, like petit filous, have loads of sugar in them.
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Fattening? It has fat in it. That's not exactly the same thing.

Healthiest yogurt choice is Greek yogurt- it has low sugar and high protein. I highly recommend the fruit or honey versions of Chobani and Fage. You can't go wrong with either. It's a little adjustment from the Dannon/Yoplait sugar packets often passing as yogurt :smile: but definitely tasty and worth it.

both chobani and fage have average of 20 grams of sugar per serving....30 with the honey one. that is a TON of sugar.

Again....it depends on the KIND of yogurt you purchase.

Fage 0% Fat Total Greek Yogurt
    Serving Size: 1 Container 6oz (170g)
    Servings per Container 1 Calories 100
    Calories from fat 0
    Total fat 0g
    % DV Total fat 0%
    Saturated fat 0g
    % DV Saturated fat 0%
    Trans fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    % DV Cholesterol 0%
    Sodium 65mg
    % DV Sodium 3%
    Total carbohydrates 7g
    % DV carbohydrates 2%
    Dietary fiber 0g
    % DV fiber 0%
    Sugars* 7g
    Protein 18g
    % DV Protein 36%
    Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 20%
    Iron 0%

/adds some sugary fruit to DGs yogurt, steals and eats it./
  • thelovelyLIZ
    thelovelyLIZ Posts: 1,227 Member
    both chobani and fage have average of 20 grams of sugar per serving....30 with the honey one. that is a TON of sugar.

Let us remember a couple things about sugar and milk:

1. There are naturally occurring sugars in milk called lactose. It's in every dairy product, because it's naturally occurring. Just read the side of a carton of milk.
    2. Greek yogurt is thicker because more of the whey is strained out. This results in a denser concentration of the things that make up greek yogurt. This is why it has a higher protein count, as well as a higher sugar count (which comes from lactose).
    3. Also, I've yet to see a plain greek yogurt with 20g of sugar per a serving. That being said, even the flavored one's with added sugars aren't that terrible, and if you really want to monitor your sugar intake, you can buy plain and sweeten it with some honey and fruit.

The moral- don't just blindly read labels and write something off because it has a high count of sugar, carbs, fat, or anything else. Peanut butter is high in fat, but that doesn't make it bad for you. Greek yogurt may have a high sugar count, but that doesn't mean it should be removed from someone's diet.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    With yogurt you just have to watch how much sugar is added. Some yogurts, especially things like yoplait light, have few nutritional benefits in comparison to the amounts of sugar and calories they have. Greek yogurt sweetened with some honey and fruit, however, is very healthy and is a great protein packed snack or meal.
    Honey itself is almost pure sugar, so you are contradicting yourself. Whether the manufacturer adds the sugar or you do, the effect is the same.

The reason that so many yogurts have sugar in them is because plain yogurt is somewhat sour, especially greek yogurt, and people don't generally like to eat sour things. Thus, companies have added fruit in to make it sweeter. It doesn't matter if that sweetness comes from pure cane sugar or honey. It's purpose and effect are the same. So, if you want your yogurt more palatable, eat it with fruit. If you want to be a purist, go for the plain yogurt and claim your right to feel superior to the rest of us.
  • Gramps251

Healthiest yogurt choice is Greek yogurt- it has low sugar and high protein. I highly recommend the fruit or honey versions of Chobani and Fage. You can't go wrong with either. It's a little adjustment from the Dannon/Yoplait sugar packets often passing as yogurt :smile: but definitely tasty and worth it.

This from someone who eats Count Chocula cereal? I'll take the yogurt please.
  • DonniesGirl69
    DonniesGirl69 Posts: 644 Member

Again....it depends on the KIND of yogurt you purchase.

Fage 0% Fat Total Greek Yogurt
    Serving Size: 1 Container 6oz (170g)
    Servings per Container 1 Calories 100
    Calories from fat 0
    Total fat 0g
    % DV Total fat 0%
    Saturated fat 0g
    % DV Saturated fat 0%
    Trans fat 0g
    Cholesterol 0mg
    % DV Cholesterol 0%
    Sodium 65mg
    % DV Sodium 3%
    Total carbohydrates 7g
    % DV carbohydrates 2%
    Dietary fiber 0g
    % DV fiber 0%
    Sugars* 7g
    Protein 18g
    % DV Protein 36%
    Vitamin A 0%
    Vitamin C 0%
    Calcium 20%
    Iron 0%

/adds some sugary fruit to DGs yogurt, steals and eats it./

Hey, are those blueberries?!?!?! Bring that back! :laugh:
  • lizboquist
    lizboquist Posts: 4 Member
    Yogurt is VERY healthy for you! Obviously read the nutrition labels AND ingredients! If something has lots of sugar in it is it processed sugar or natural sugar (AKA sugar that goes straight to your stomach or sugar that gives you energy that you can burn off?). Calories work the same way people: GOOD calories are energy that when not burned off turns to fat on your body, and bad calories make you feel like crap and make working out and burning calories harder than necessary. Greek yogurt is super awesome because it has more protein to build muscle and fill you up faster and for longer. Yogurt also has the benefits of probiotics which, among other things, make you regular and can help prevent yeast infections!

When dieting you need to make sure you're eating a balanced diet with GOOD fat, GOOD, NATURAL sugar and GOOD carbs while also finding a way (be it walking, running, weight lifting, playing sports, etc.) to burn off the energy and build muscle.

If you're confused about what's considered a healthy balanced diet go talk to your doctor or a dietitian or someone else who has a degree/training in either the medical field or healthy eating.
  • Gramps251

I ate a chobani every single day for 4 months and still lost 40lbs. If 6oz of greek yogurt unravels your diet, you have bigger problems.

that is great for you and you are right...just don't think it should be passed off as "low sugar" when it is obviously not at all low sugar.

I'll take sweetened yogurt over Count Chocula (as seen in your food diary) cerial any day.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member

I ate a chobani every single day for 4 months and still lost 40lbs. If 6oz of greek yogurt unravels your diet, you have bigger problems.

that is great for you and you are right...just don't think it should be passed off as "low sugar" when it is obviously not at all low sugar.

I'll take sweetened yogurt over Count Chocula (as seen in your food diary) cerial any day.

if you saw that you saw that I actually had greek yogurt for breakfast :D Didn't say I didn't eat sugar...or that sugar was necessarily bad (i do try to watch it though, because I feel better when I do)...but when comparing the sugar content for different yogurts....greek is really not "better" like the original person I replied to had implied. That's all :)
  • hrshygrl00
    hrshygrl00 Posts: 66 Member
    It depends. I know that isn't a great answer, but it's true. Personally, I like eating yogurt, particularly greek yogurt, as a snack. It fits within my daily plan and is a tasty, low-cal snack for me. There are some folks who don't eat dairy or who believe that dairy as a whole is not good for you.

Basically, eat it if it fits within your daily plan.

I agree here. I love Greek yogurt, and don't even eat the regular kind anymore.
    THere can can a lot of sugar still, especially in the added fruit ones, which Iove. However there are other benefits... way more protein, and helps with digestion like someone mentioned.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Even if it wasn't good for me, I would still eat it every day. It has made an enormous change in the stability of my IBS. But it is good for me and I have finally learned to like plain, Greek, non-fat yogurt with a sprinkle of Kashi for some crunch. 100 calories and lots of protein.