You must eat breakfast if you want to lose weight

Options

Replies

• DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I hope that book was published recently

I see what you did there, *kitten*.
    2008. It's on strength training. from Louie Simmons.
    so it's pretty much the Bible................
    not gonna be outdated anytime soon.

So everything that's known about strength training was discovered in 2008 and there have been no discoveries before or since? Kewl! Any new books out on intermittent fasting?
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

An example lets say exercising fasted and eating 2,000 calories wen you're done, lets assume we're it a calorie deficit by 500 calories. So you go workout in a fasted state, you eat 2,000 calories when you're done with you workout. During your fasted state GH is increase and so are catecholamines. You finish your workout, go eat, insulin raises and starts storing nutrients.

Same situation but you're fed through out the day. In between your meals insulin is at it's lowest producing the same hormones as above. GH and catecholamines. You workout since you been eating your body isn't as sensitive, so you get less of a hormonal response, so after your workout you eat another meal which would increase insulin but not to the same degree as before.

If you add up all the hormonal "peaks" of when you eat, it would be the same response at the end of the day as your 2,000 calorie meal. Add up all the "valleys" in between meals AND your calorie deficit, it would produce the same hormonal responses as your "fasted" state.

I'm not working out in a fasted state, because I eat during the day. I just don't consume carbs.
    My body isn't going to be as sensitive to insulin in the evenings as it is in the morning......

so i'm not really with you..........get lean then I'll listen to your ways.

I'm gonna try to break it down as simply as I can and if you don't wanna believe it, it's fine. continue doing what you're doing, seems like you've lost a lot of weight, but good luck getting shredded or jacked...........

Insulin sensitity is high in the morning. So I don't eat carbs......
    Insulin sensitivity is low in the evening.
    Resistance training causes the glucose transporters within muscle cells (this is what moves glucose into cells, not insulin. insulin can cause these to come to the surface and absorb the glucose, again very remedial way of explaining it) to be receptive.
    So I eat my carbs in the evenings after training, while my body is receptive to using them in the way I desire.

I've lost about 6 pounds in the last 3 weeks. I'm not eating less. I ate a large pizza last night after drinking a 1000 calorie shake. so i'm not startving.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

So everything that's known about strength training was discovered in 2008 and there have been no discoveries before or since? Kewl! Any new books out on intermittent fasting?

I don't know because I don't do IF. I was using it as an example because most people here don't know what CBL is or how it works but some of them have a remedial understanding of IF.

Most of the Westside principals are based off of things the Soviets and Bulgarians did 40 years ago, but things are constantly being adapted. I'm sure a few discoveries have happened in the strength industry since the book was published, which is why Simmons still writes articles to this day. But overall, no method has created more Elite lifters.................... so I think it's safe to say the information is good.............

what's you're problem here exactly? I dont recall saying anything offhanded to you, you just kind of jumped in when I argued with the delusional girl who believes she goes into starvation mode every morning.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options

I'll link it when I get back home dude (on my way to the gym at the mo ironically!)

sounds good. I'll check it out when ya send it over.

I don't do a ton of glycogen depletion type stuff. Not big on running or crossfit. But I replenish my glycogen stores like 4x a week when I backload my carbs. Never have trouble in the gym, and I push "breakfast" back to about 3 hours after waking, and don't have carbs before training. I've only trained fasted once, when I had to squat at 6 a.m. and it wasn't my favorite but I got it done.

As promised: http://jap.physiology.org/content/61/2/654.short

Also, here's a link to Anthony Colpo's hilarious article on training in a fasted state: http://anthonycolpo.com/intermittent-fasting-and-the-crazed-rantings-of-martin-berkhan/

I know lots of people dislike his style but you can't fault him for his attention to detail and adherence to scientific analysis.

I think if your training centres around weights then it really isn't an issue as there isn't a huge glycogen demand. If your goal is training to ride the Stelvio pass and someone mentions fasted training the most apt thing to do is to tell them, politely, to jog on...
  • uclown2002
    uclown2002 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Meal timing is crucial to health. You may lose weight when not eating breakfast, but your brain suffers and so do your organs. Look at the word: "Break - fast". In other words, you have not provided nourishment to your body for an average of 8-10 hours. To go even longer without food, especially once you are out of bed and active, is punishing to your body. The body will go into starvation mode and begin to break down muscle rather than fat, so it's more harmful than eating just about anything.

OMFG
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options

As promised: http://jap.physiology.org/content/61/2/654.short

Also, here's a link to Anthony Colpo's hilarious article on training in a fasted state: http://anthonycolpo.com/intermittent-fasting-and-the-crazed-rantings-of-martin-berkhan/

I know lots of people dislike his style but you can't fault him for his attention to detail and adherence to scientific analysis.

I think if your training centres around weights then it really isn't an issue as there isn't a huge glycogen demand. If your goal is training to ride the Stelvio pass and someone mentions fasted training the most apt thing to do is to tell them, politely, to jog on...

Thanks for coming back to post that. I'm reading through it now.
    It's nice seeing people who can discuss things without getting pissy.
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    He's not wrong. If you don't eat breakfast you will die. Didn't say what time ROFL some of you need to go suck on a lemon.
  • eileenchristine
    eileenchristine Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I don't like eating breakfast but I have been told by trainers and read books that for my metabolic rate to speed up I need to breakfast. So I have been since starting this last week. And I am not overeating at 1 pm when I normally would eat cuz I was HUNGRY. I do have eggs which keep me going and full for a long time. I just started and am a bit over weight (ok alot!) so am sure when I get closer to my goal will change from 2 eggs to cottage cheese or something less fat.,

Any weight loss book or nutritionist or trainer is going to say its important to break your fast when you get up. Keeps the metabolic rate even. For a woman this is probably more important than for a guy. We are just genetically geared for holding that fat! So even though I normally would not bother with breakfast I am at this time because I really want to get healthy!

But whatever works for people. I think it might help to change things up too the way we eat when we hit plateaus on the weight loss journey. I know my good friend who has inspired me (he has lost over 70#s!) was stuck and I shared what a trainer told me.. to eat 5 small meals thru out the day and exercise for less amount but more frequently (3 sessions 3xs a day of 20 min. instead of 1 hour). He took my advice (case of doing what I say and not what I was doing...sigh). and was unstuck, Scale started going back in right direction.

Ok that is my 2 cents for what it is worth. Again whatever works, but if you find you get stuck along the way, change it up!

Christine.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    Options
    He's not wrong. If you don't eat breakfast you will die. Didn't say what time ROFL some of you need to go suck on a lemon.

so what you're saying is you have to eat bacon and eggs at some point during the day or you'll die?

I can agree here.
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options

Any weight loss book or nutritionist or trainer is going to say its important to break your fast when you get up. Keeps the metabolic rate even. For a woman this is probably more important than for a guy. We are just genetically geared for holding that fat! So even though I normally would not bother with breakfast I am at this time because I really want to get healthy!

nope.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    My unicorn poops rainbows!

QFT
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

I don't know because I don't do IF. I was using it as an example because most people here don't know what CBL is or how it works but some of them have a remedial understanding of IF.

Most of the Westside principals are based off of things the Soviets and Bulgarians did 40 years ago, but things are constantly being adapted. I'm sure a few discoveries have happened in the strength industry since the book was published, which is why Simmons still writes articles to this day. But overall, no method has created more Elite lifters.................... so I think it's safe to say the information is good.............

what's you're problem here exactly? I dont recall saying anything offhanded to you, you just kind of jumped in when I argued with the delusional girl who believes she goes into starvation mode every morning.

Truthfully, I'm cool with you. I see your posts all over and mostly agree with them, and even when I don't agree I think it's thoughtful stuff. Mostly it's two things:
    1. Pet peeve when someone says the new stuff negates the old stuff. In 20 years since I've been paying attention almost all of this stuff has come full circle. Twice.
    2. I'm feeling especially trollish for the last week or two and you left an opening for me to throw in some cheap shots.

I got carried away tho. I apologize.
  • DarthH8
    DarthH8 Posts: 298 Member
    Options

so what you're saying is you have to eat bacon and eggs at some point during the day or you'll die?

I can agree here.

Yeah and on the subject of bacon and eggs. There is a direct link between how much you eat and how much weight you lose. But, the trick is that there is a cap. 1 strip of bacon equals 1 lbs. and 1 egg equals 1.5 lbs. So if you eat 4 strips of bacon and 2 eggs once a week you will lose 1 lb a day for the rest of your life!!!!!!!
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options

I can agree here.

Yeah and on the subject of bacon and eggs. There is a direct link between how much you eat and how much weight you lose. But, the trick is that there is a cap. 1 strip of bacon equals 1 lbs. and 1 egg equals 1.5 lbs. So if you eat 4 strips of bacon and 2 eggs once a week you will lose 1 lb a day for the rest of your life!!!!!!!

You forgot to mention that, the ratio changes and is dependent if it is before 6 p.m. every night.
  • marias2gaa
    marias2gaa Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    i do agree that we must eat breakfast! I have 1/2 a cup of oatmeal usually with a sliced fruit either banana or apple and it keeps me full until lunchtime. Breakfast is an importan meal :wink:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I love a good troll thread. Nothing quite like spouting inflammatory nonsense to get people posting.

with you on this lol! but we all fall for it every time!
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    i do agree that we must eat breakfast! I have 1/2 a cup of oatmeal usually with a sliced fruit either banana or apple and it keeps me full until lunchtime. Breakfast is an importan meal :wink:

never mind...good grief
  • RLDeShazo
    RLDeShazo Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m0d3icpCPg1r6bqgno1_500.png

:drinker:
  • twinketta
    twinketta Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    I ate an egg for breakfast when I was morbidly obese, I eat bacon n egg for breakfast now I am in a healthy weight range?
  • Lazygal53
    Lazygal53 Posts: 294 Member
    Options

I can agree here.

Sucking on the required lemon here ... so can't respond :bigsmile: