Why is surgery considered so wrong???

Options

Replies

• RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    I disagree. Surgery to control weight is not wrong. It is remarkably brave, and scary and it changes your food life forever in a non reversible way. I commend you for doing what you needed to do to get ahold of your life before it slipped through your fingers. My BFF has the GB and she is a completely different woman, it has been so successful for her. But there are so many limitations, as you have yourself, that makes it a difficult decision to commit to. Good for you changing your life around :)
  • trekkietaz
    Options
    congrats on your sucess now i did my the hard way watching my calories and 3 days at the gym I loss a total of 107lbs so i too have been sucessful
  • crazyellybean
    crazyellybean Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    I understand what you're saying about surgery and it's not considered so wrong...it's just not always the right answer. As you said you can still eat the wrong things. Some people think once they have surgery their problems are over and the weight will just fall off. It takes dedication to lose the weight either way. Some lose easier than others and some like me just doesn't feel the need to have surgery. I really considered it but decided that I needed to be in the right frame of mind and dedication. I can do it without surgery. Good luck with your progress.

Agree!!

You have to work just as hard with surgery as you would if you didn't, so why not give a good go before hand. Many people think it's the easy way out and it's not!! Its just as hard.. the thing about surgery is you have to make informed decisions about it and realize that it's a way of life as well.. if you can't stick to it before surgery chances are you won't after.
  • ixap
    ixap Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Oh my goodness surgery is not for everyone, but then neither is Paelo, IF or heavy lifting but somehow surgery gets the worse press.
    I don't know; I see plenty of hate (and support) for all of the above along with support (and hate) for surgery. I think we are each most sensitive to criticism of the approach we personally use, so the negativity stands out.
    All I ask is that people try to think of the emotional, mental and physical state of a person considering surgery and try not to judge.
    here here! always a good thing to aim for.
  • vintagesquirrel
    Options
    Surgery isn't for everyone. It isn't wrong in any way, and may in many cases save peoples lives. Surgery, as it happens, was for me... and it was by no means easy.

My roommate who wants to lose about 100lbs or so, is doing it the elbow grease way and still seeing results.

Who are we to say what is right and wrong? I did all the research and prepwork, met numerous times with my surgeon and passed all the tests. I also suffered hideous complications, but I was willing to take that risk to get my health back under control.
  • Libb3C
    Libb3C Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to learn that those who lose weight the traditional way, you know, "on their own?" Failure rate is 95% - but with surgery is 15-20% failure. I've been the 95% and working to stay out of the 15-20%.
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I was shocked to learn that those who lose weight the traditional way, you know, "on their own?" Failure rate is 95% - but with surgery is 15-20% failure. I've been the 95% and working to stay out of the 15-20%.

I suppose we would need to define success. I define success as being and staying within 5% of goal...I do not believe WLS has a 80-85% success rate of making goal and maintaining. The "traditional" eat less, move more approach also does not have a high hit/goal success, but it's not much lower/higher than WLS (based on my recent reading).

I applaud anyone (regardless of what path they take....WLS, Weight Watchers, MFP, Paleo, Atkins) who is able to regain health by eating well and moving more. The reality is that morbid obesity (which you generally must be to "qualify" for WLS) is NOT caused by having an extra helping of mashed potatoes and/or a couple cookies on occasion. MORBID obesity (and I've been in that club...now I'm simply "obese") is caused by the abuse of food due to psychological issues. The "counseling" and evaluations required by WLS really do not dig into these issues the way a year or two of strong cognitive therapy would. I'm quite familar with the evaluation process for WLS and it's not that rigid. The only "rigid" part is the sheer number of steps required to go through, but by no means is the process of evaluation of those who are emotionally "ready" strenuous; if it was, very few would be approved for surgery.

My last comment is that, remember: WLS facilities/centers are "for profit" organizations. They will do what's required to a) help their patients get approved by insurance in order to complete a surgery and build their business and b) avoid loss suits. That's it.

Let's just be honest...it's not this caring, cognitive-repairing solution. After completing a checklist of tasks (lose x% of weight, meet with a slightly trained evaluator to ensure someone is not nuts, etc.), and a person meets the insurance requirements (e.g., high BMI and metabolic disorder issues), a person will receive an often, irreversible physical change to their body to help with limiting their food intake. Let's not call it something it's not.

People on the boards may also make comments because there seems to be a sort of "soliciting sympathy" for everything a person goes through to get and make it through surgery. While I have empathy for someone who is in pain, WLS is elective surgery and I liken it to giving sympathy to someone complaining about what they went through after having liposuction, having a tummy tuck, or someone who complains about an injury because they went from zero exercise to running 5 miles a day. These are all personal choices.
  • spfldpam
    spfldpam Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    All bariatric programs are different. I must say the one I am part of is a caring one. Yes they are for profit but aren't Weight Watchers, Jenny Craig, workout gyms, workout dvds and so on?!?! The weight loss industry is huge!

I beg to differ about the cognitive therapy aspect of some bariatric programs also. Mine does use this and uses a book by Judith Beck called The Beck Diet Solution and Weight Loss Workbook for people that need that extra help. I bought the books on my own cause I wanted to suceed in the program.

As I said before, my bariatric program has a team approach and you have to met team approval before they will even consider you for a surgery date. If you don't follow the program pre op you won't be getting a surgery date from them. You have to see a psych, nutritionist and physical therapist monthly and then they decide if you are ready for surgery. You have to cut out all caffine, all carbonated beverages, quit smoking if you smoke and no drinking of alcohol. This goes for pre op and post op for the rest of your life. It takes 6 months to 2 years to get a surgery date and meet team approval. They ask questions when you first start with the program asking why do you want surgery? What diets have you tried in the past? Ask you weight at age 10, 20, 30, 40 and so on.....

Surgery isn't for everyone. I can only speak for the bariatric program I use and they do weed out the ones that won't be successful. They track their success/failure rates too. As Libb3C stated, 95% of people will gain back the weight they loose by dieting or traditional methods if they are obese. With WLS the rate is only 15% to 20% of failure.

I have lost and gain and lost and gained all my life. At age 48 with bad knees, left knee is bone on bone and needs to be replace but I am too young the knee dr said, feet hurting I decide WLS was the way to go for me. I have been obese all my life. I was successful before surgery and lost 47 pounds from Feb till June of this year and did have the thought that "yes, I don't need surgery I am doing good so far" but then reality clicked in with me. Yes I've lost that much but will I continue to my goal without the tool of my sleeve? Probably not so I did have the sleeve surgery.
    The surgeries have come along way. Yes they can be dangerous but any type of surgery you have can be. Surgery shouldn't be taken lightly either. It is life changing event and your life won't be the same again. As far as vitamin defencies, with the gastic sleeve there is less chance with that than RNY since it is basically a restrictive procedure vs. the RNY that is restrictive and absorption both.

I suppose we would need to define success. I define success as being and staying within 5% of goal...I do not believe WLS has a 80-85% success rate of making goal and maintaining. The "traditional" eat less, move more approach also does not have a high hit/goal success, but it's not much lower/higher than WLS (based on my recent reading).

I applaud anyone (regardless of what path they take....WLS, Weight Watchers, MFP, Paleo, Atkins) who is able to regain health by eating well and moving more. The reality is that morbid obesity (which you generally must be to "qualify" for WLS) is NOT caused by having an extra helping of mashed potatoes and/or a couple cookies on occasion. MORBID obesity (and I've been in that club...now I'm simply "obese") is caused by the abuse of food due to psychological issues. The "counseling" and evaluations required by WLS really do not dig into these issues the way a year or two of strong cognitive therapy would. I'm quite familar with the evaluation process for WLS and it's not that rigid. The only "rigid" part is the sheer number of steps required to go through, but by no means is the process of evaluation of those who are emotionally "ready" strenuous; if it was, very few would be approved for surgery.

My last comment is that, remember: WLS facilities/centers are "for profit" organizations. They will do what's required to a) help their patients get approved by insurance in order to complete a surgery and build their business and b) avoid loss suits. That's it.

Let's just be honest...it's not this caring, cognitive-repairing solution. After completing a checklist of tasks (lose x% of weight, meet with a slightly trained evaluator to ensure someone is not nuts, etc.), and a person meets the insurance requirements (e.g., high BMI and metabolic disorder issues), a person will receive an often, irreversible physical change to their body to help with limiting their food intake. Let's not call it something it's not.

People on the boards may also make comments because there seems to be a sort of "soliciting sympathy" for everything a person goes through to get and make it through surgery. While I have empathy for someone who is in pain, WLS is elective surgery and I liken it to giving sympathy to someone complaining about what they went through after having liposuction, having a tummy tuck, or someone who complains about an injury because they went from zero exercise to running 5 miles a day. These are all personal choices.
  • Impy84
    Impy84 Posts: 430
    Options
    To answer the topic question alone. I won't say it's wrong, HOWEVER, if an associate of mine has had surgery and dares to try to compare how "hard" they've worked with my lifestyle change to accomplish similar results I will bite their forking head off and then spit it out sparing no unlady like adjectives in the process.

If u take a taxi to the finish line of the marathon and i walked/jogged to the finish line we are NOT in the same boat.
  • milf_n_cookies
    milf_n_cookies Posts: 2,244 Member
    Options
    I think anyone who would be down on you for doing what you need to save your own life is a jerk. Period.

I have PCOS, it is a metabolic disorder that causes me to gain weight easily and take it off SLOWLY. I tried everything, literally. Surgery changed my bodies chemical makeup and hormones which helped me to finally be able to control my weight. If you had cancer would you have surgery to remove it? Of course. My obesity was killing me just as surley as untreated cancer would have, so I let my doctor and nutritionist help me make an informed decision about changing my life.

I work hard every.single.day to maintain my weight, it takes just as much "grit and determination" as those who don't have surgery. I watch what I eat, make healthy choices and work my *kitten* off as a tri-athlete. My surgery helped me get started on the journey, but it was not the end of it or the only step I had to make in order to become a healthy, awesome and whole person.

I would do it again in a heartbeat, statistics are against those who have spent a lifetime being morbidly obese, the chances of losing all the weight and keeping it off without intervention of some sort is about 1% (and you can look that up, the statistics are there to back it up).

Do what you need to and let the haters hate, they don't matter anyway. It's like the people who comment on my race times who have never ran a mile in their iife, just let them talk and make themselves look ignorant.
  • milf_n_cookies
    Options
    and good lord, the amount of misinformation about surgery (as well as some of the crazy stats that have been posted by people) in this thread are making my head spin.

There are many different procedures, four of them being the most popular (VSG, Lap Band, DS and RNY), and each one of them has a diffrent set of statistics and outcomes, so to just sit there and quote some crazy number off the internet (or out of your head)as fact and as a reason why surgery is bad or risky just proves my point, most people who judge surgery and those who have it are ignorant of the facts and should just be ignored.
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    congrats on your sucess now i did my the hard way watching my calories and 3 days at the gym I loss a total of 107lbs so i too have been sucessful

Spoken by someone who has NO CLUE how difficult it is to live successfully after bariatric surgery. There is no 'easy way'. It's all 'the hard way'.

Everyone's journey has different pitfalls and mountains to climb out of and over. For me, because I had the VGS, portion control isn't one of them. I still have to eat right. I hit the gym at least 3 times a week.

Have the surgery, don't have the surgery, either way, the journey is hard, but the joy of LIVING AGAIN, is priceless. No more sitting on the sidelines because I'm too fat, too insecure, too tired, too sad to do anything else.

Refuse to give up, refuse to give in, REFUSE TO LET YOUR HEALTHY SELF DIE, and no matter which path you chose, you will find your success.
  • milf_n_cookies
    Options

Spoken by someone who has NO CLUE how difficult it is to live successfully after bariatric surgery. There is no 'easy way'. It's all 'the hard way'.

Everyone's journey has different pitfalls and mountains to climb out of and over. For me, because I had the VGS, portion control isn't one of them. I still have to eat right. I hit the gym at least 3 times a week.

Have the surgery, don't have the surgery, either way, the journey is hard, but the joy of LIVING AGAIN, is priceless. No more sitting on the sidelines because I'm too fat, too insecure, too tired, too sad to do anything else.

Refuse to give up, refuse to give in, REFUSE TO LET YOUR HEALTHY SELF DIE, and no matter which path you chose, you will find your success.

AMEN! And congrats on your success!
  • babymine55
    babymine55 Posts: 127 Member
    Options

AMEN! And congrats on your success!

Thanks! Same to you!! Darn good job!!! :)

It's nice to see and hear from the community of success stories rather than hearing so many "my friend/cousins uncle/friend of a friend, had it and gained it all back" stories. We are definitely out here...but, it comes back to the OP question...so many are not willing to put themselves out there to be judged or criticized.
  • Miker8712
    Options
    I'd like to say a big "f-you" to all he haters who slam weight loss surgery. Keep your opinions to yourself. I had gastric bypass 4 years ago and it saved my life. I did my research and made the right choice for ME!! That's all that matters.

Good for you. Best wishes on your journey!!

Easy fix
  • Miker8712
    Options

If the journey is hard either way, why pay someone to cut you up and mess around with your organs?
  • gerbies
    gerbies Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I think anyone who would be down on you for doing what you need to save your own life is a jerk. Period.

I have PCOS, it is a metabolic disorder that causes me to gain weight easily and take it off SLOWLY. I tried everything, literally. Surgery changed my bodies chemical makeup and hormones which helped me to finally be able to control my weight. If you had cancer would you have surgery to remove it? Of course. My obesity was killing me just as surley as untreated cancer would have, so I let my doctor and nutritionist help me make an informed decision about changing my life.

I work hard every.single.day to maintain my weight, it takes just as much "grit and determination" as those who don't have surgery. I watch what I eat, make healthy choices and work my *kitten* off as a tri-athlete. My surgery helped me get started on the journey, but it was not the end of it or the only step I had to make in order to become a healthy, awesome and whole person.

I would do it again in a heartbeat, statistics are against those who have spent a lifetime being morbidly obese, the chances of losing all the weight and keeping it off without intervention of some sort is about 1% (and you can look that up, the statistics are there to back it up).

Do what you need to and let the haters hate, they don't matter anyway. It's like the people who comment on my race times who have never ran a mile in their iife, just let them talk and make themselves look ignorant.

I think it's a bit irresponsible to compare weight issues and weight loss surgery to cancer and the various cancer treatments. I would see weight issues more akin to someone who is a smoker. Like eating in excess, smoking is a BEHAVIOR, that leads to a poor habit and can lead to health concerns. With smoking, conditions like emphysema and/or lung cancer can occur; with weight, it's heart problems, diabetes, etc.

Weight loss surgery is like someone having a brain procedure to remove the section of the brain related to addiction to nicotene. It would be a "tool" to help someone stop smoking. If it worked and the person stops smoking (helping them avoid conditions like lung cancer and/or emphysema), then great. But it's not the same as someone who quits smoking through pure motivation and grit. It's just not the same.

For those of you who have WLS, do you feel the contestants on "The Biggest Loser", for example, are losing weight "the traditional way"? From my perspective, while they worked out and ate less, they also left all of life stresses and have nothing but weight loss to think about. It's an advantage over someone who lives real life and has to balance everything. Again, like WLS, there's nothing wrong with going on the Biggest Loser, but it's "harder" to lose weight without "physical tools" like reconfiguring your innards or removing all of life's responsibilities and stresses (like the Biggest Loser).
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options

If the journey is hard either way, why pay someone to cut you up and mess around with your organs?

Two posts in to the forums and you've come across as non-sympathetic and intolerant to another's choices. There are very few out there that considered surgery first. Look at the people in this thread; They TRIED other things and it didn't work. Going under the knife did work and feel good about themselves. It wasn't a lightly-made decision. I don't want surgery, I don't need it but I sure as heck am NOT going to give anyone crap for getting it.

The journey *is* hard either way, both physically and emotionally, so we should be welcoming and supportive to all who tackle weight loss.
  • rachellosesitall85
    Options
    I don't think it's wrong per say. I just think too many people use it as an excuse not to move their bodies and control their food intake. To me, weight loss surgery should be the very last resort. Of course cosmetic is always fine if you want to look your best or have excess skin. I just think when someone is getting weight loss surgery without trying to lose beforehand, they end up carrying that same mentality that got them the way they were before the surgery. I can't express how many people I know who have had gastric bypass and are still using their old mentality thus gaining the weight all back. To me, it's science. If you eat less and burn more, your body will lose weight. There are very few acceptances to that rule. Trying different diets/exercising and giving up in two months isn't "trying" to me. Sometimes it takes our bodies longer to adapt to a new lifestyle before the weight comes off.
  • milf_n_cookies
    Options

I think it's a bit irresponsible to compare weight issues and weight loss surgery to cancer and the various cancer treatments. I would see weight issues more akin to someone who is a smoker. Like eating in excess, smoking is a BEHAVIOR, that leads to a poor habit and can lead to health concerns. With smoking, conditions like emphysema and/or lung cancer can occur; with weight, it's heart problems, diabetes, etc.

Weight loss surgery is like someone having a brain procedure to remove the section of the brain related to addiction to nicotene. It would be a "tool" to help someone stop smoking. If it worked and the person stops smoking (helping them avoid conditions like lung cancer and/or emphysema), then great. But it's not the same as someone who quits smoking through pure motivation and grit. It's just not the same.

For those of you who have WLS, do you feel the contestants on "The Biggest Loser", for example, are losing weight "the traditional way"? From my perspective, while they worked out and ate less, they also left all of life stresses and have nothing but weight loss to think about. It's an advantage over someone who lives real life and has to balance everything. Again, like WLS, there's nothing wrong with going on the Biggest Loser, but it's "harder" to lose weight without "physical tools" like reconfiguring your innards or removing all of life's responsibilities and stresses (like the Biggest Loser).

So cancer isn't caused by behaviours? Or enviomental factors or genetics? Just retorical really since you answered that question in your very next paragraph. And obviously everyone who knows something causes cancer stops doing whatever it is immediatly, which is why so few people smoke these days, right?

I hate the Biggest Loser because I believe it is a set up for failure in most cases, it's like taking a drug addict and tossing them into rehab cold turkey without any support system or real world behaviour modification.

So half my stomach is gone, that does not stop me from eating ice cream every day, drinking milkshakes and eating slider foods (things that go right though the stomach without making me feel full, I could litereally eat popcorn and chips all day without ever feeling uncomfortable or ill). I can eat all day long in small portions and easily equal all the calories that I could before surgery. And with my surgery I absorb every single calorie I put in, no malabsorption at all.

So tell me again how in the 355 days that I have logged on here, recorded every single bite I have eaten, every single mile I have walked, run, swam and biked I have shown less determination then others who have a whole stomach? Less dedication to the process? Less blood, sweat and tears? Truth be told, most of the non-surgery people on my friends list don't work near as hard at the life changes as I have, and most of them don't do half as much as I do physically.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!