What does that mean...?

Options
virichi08
virichi08 Posts: 465 Member
Yes I'm serious, not joking at all.... but umm, it seems like I woke up one day and people say or write Xmas instead of Christmas and XTina instead o Christina. Why is that?

(I guess I've been under a rock or something... I HONESTLY do not know when this change took place.)

Replies

• corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    X is Latin(I believe) for Christ. Hence Xmas.
  • sktllmdrhmzz
    sktllmdrhmzz Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Blame Beiber. Works for me with everything else.
  • Roll_Tide_Meg
    Roll_Tide_Meg Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    Most people like to use Xmas when they don't believe in Christ. It's just to take the Christ out of Christmas...sad really. As for the name with the X I don't see that a lot.
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    The "XTina" thing started with Christina Aguilera when she came out with the song "Dirrrty" like 10 years ago or whenever that was. It was like her "edgy" nickname or whatever and it stuck.
  • DontStopB_Leakin
    DontStopB_Leakin Posts: 3,863 Member
    Options
    Most people like to use Xmas when they don't believe in Christ. It's just to take the Christ out of Christmas...sad really. As for the name with the X I don't see that a lot.

Saying Xmas really doesn't have anything to do with Christ. I believe in Christ, yet I say Xmas all the time. I'm lazy.

Let's not bring unnecessary religious commentary into this, kthx.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

"Xmas" is a common abbreviation of the word "Christmas". It is sometimes pronounced /ˈɛksməs/, but it, and variants such as "Xtemass", originated as handwriting abbreviations for the typical pronunciation /ˈkrɪsməs/. The "-mas" part is from the Latin-derived Old English word for "Mass",[1] while the "X" comes from the Greek letter Chi, which is the first letter of the Greek word Χριστός, translated as "Christ".[2]

Thank you Wiki for proving perpetuating ignorance to be incorrect.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    X is Latin(I believe) for Christ. Hence Xmas.

Greek. But close enough. It had something to do with early Christians hiding from the people who wanted to torture and kill them and was code for other Christians.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

You don't know much about the history of the religion in which you believe, do you?
  • virichi08
    Options
    Oh wow... that's pretty cool. I guess i could have googled the Christmas part :noway: lol
    But the Xtina part i probably wouldn't have figured out. lol
  • virichi08
    Options
    Oh no, please, no religious arguments, that was NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT my intention of asking this... I PROMISE... KEEP THE PEACE EVERY ONE, KEEEP..THE...PEACE...

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • elprincipito
    elprincipito Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    PED XING
    pedestrian crossing
  • KittieLea
    KittieLea Posts: 1,156 Member
    Options
    I use Xmas when I'm typing an e-mail or text, just because I'm lazy. I believe in Christ, therefore, it has nothing to do with not believing in Christ for me. I'm just lazy.
  • virichi08
    Options
    I use Xmas when I'm typing an e-mail or text, just because I'm lazy. I believe in Christ, therefore, it has nothing to do with not believing in Christ for me. I'm just lazy.

I can dig the lazy part, i was supposed to be off the computer an hour ago and i am STILL sitting in front of it. lol
  • Trechechus
    Trechechus Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    The "X" represents the cross and therefore stands for "Christ." It's not "taking the Christ out of Christmas," its just a shorter way to spell it.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I thought it was just short term for retail shops.

I used to see it on my receipts "XMAS RETURNS 30 DAYS ONLY!" but they probably just jumped on the bandwagon.
  • Ashlee2421
    Ashlee2421 Posts: 58 Member
    Options

This, pretty much.

I've never heard someone say Xmas because they don't want the word Christ to come out of their mouth.
    That was a pretty silly and ignorant thing to say.
    Just because you've met a couple people that are like that doesn't mean that MOST of us say Xmas for that reason.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options

People who use an X don't believe in Christ?? I know where you pulled that from..........
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Blame Beiber. Works for me with everything else.

lol
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options

Are you ****ing kidding me? X is synonymous with Christ. They use "X" because it's shorter and thus faster to right. Good lord help us all.

Edit: Forum research shows you contribute little, and when you do, you say things like Twilight is well written fiction. I have been trolled :[
  • SavanahM
    SavanahM Posts: 9 Member
    Options