You must eat breakfast if you want to lose weight

Options

Replies

• Shock_Wave
    Shock_Wave Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Although I agree that you don't HAVE to eat breakfast I LOVE my breakfast and I am not getting fat because of it. :laugh: In fact one of the biggest reasons is because I cannot wait to consume protein asap first thing in the morning to continue to saturate my sore muscles after the previous days work out and after a night of a long fast the body expelled a lot of my protein while I zzz. In fact my stats seem to always improve 230+lbs 11% bf here and still getting bigger,stronger and leaner. So ya I am pro breakfast. :drinker:
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed reading every single one of the fourteen pages of this thread. Thank you, all.

If you were truly appreciative, you'd read it all again.

I am going to try reading them backwards this time to see if it enhances the experience.

No doubt you'll pick up some hidden messages in the text. My advice is listen to whatever they say and do it.
  • DaughterOfTheMostHighKing
    Options
    breakfast is basically what you eat first after you wake up. I eat oatmeal and yogurt, eggs and oatmeal, eggs and rice, eggs and toast... sometimes I eat lasagna, spaghetti, ... whatevers there... lol!!! I've also have icecream for breakfast! llol!!! I gave my children warm just baked chocolate chip cookies with milk for breakfast... better than a donut! lol!!!!
  • bostongeek
    bostongeek Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I have enjoyed reading every single one of the fourteen pages of this thread. Thank you, all.

If you were truly appreciative, you'd read it all again.

I am going to try reading them backwards this time to see if it enhances the experience.

No doubt you'll pick up some hidden messages in the text. My advice is listen to whatever they say and do it.

OK! I'll report back!

(The Weeping Angel avatar means you're trustworthy, right?)
  • mschichi26
    Options
    breakfast is basically what you eat first after you wake up. I eat oatmeal and yogurt, eggs and oatmeal, eggs and rice, eggs and toast... sometimes I eat lasagna, spaghetti, ... whatevers there... lol!!! I've also have icecream for breakfast! llol!!! I gave my children warm just baked chocolate chip cookies with milk for breakfast... better than a donut! lol!!!!

NotSureIfSerious.jpg
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options

Breakfast doesn't have to be bacon and eggs, think outside the box!

What you talking bout, Willis! Stop now with your blasphemy!

arnold.jpg
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Bacon is the best breakfast. Of course.

I am pretty sure that the *one* thing that I have *never* eaten for breakfast is lean protein, unless it's eggs on the side of bacon or sausage! :laugh: :tongue:
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options
    Cannot believe this thread survived all night.
  • ilovedeadlifts
    ilovedeadlifts Posts: 2,923 Member
    Options

Truthfully, I'm cool with you. I see your posts all over and mostly agree with them, and even when I don't agree I think it's thoughtful stuff. Mostly it's two things:
    1. Pet peeve when someone says the new stuff negates the old stuff. In 20 years since I've been paying attention almost all of this stuff has come full circle. Twice.
    2. I'm feeling especially trollish for the last week or two and you left an opening for me to throw in some cheap shots.

I got carried away tho. I apologize.

No worries.

1. I was trying to explain to her that what she thought was flat out wrong, and wasn't really sure how to convey that message without just saying she was following outdated information about "starvation mode".
    The trends and general beliefs of the top names in nutrition seems to circle around like you've said and I'm always skeptical about things before I try them. I tend to listen to the top people in the strength community, if world record holders are following a carb cycling protocol, keeping strength, and getting leaner, then I'm sure as **** gonna try it myself.

2. we all get that way. I try to not take things personally, and usually don't.
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Cannot believe this thread survived all night.

Any time you start off a thread with an emphatic, dictatorial statement such as "You must eat breakfast" you are likely to get a response. Oddly enough, the originator's profile says he's found you can lose weight without exercise, something I don't recommend. Still, I'm not inclined to tell someone they must exercise to lose weight.
  • catodd
    catodd Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at what a negative response the OP has had! I agree that "You must eat breakfast" might be quite a hard way of saying what works for him. I do think he is right. It is a well known fact that if you starve yourself your metabolism does slow down, 8 hours sleepis in effect an 8 hour fast and if you are trying to lose weight it is very likely you didnt eat before you went to bed. So where are you getting your energy from. Its likely you are cannibalizing your muscle mass and that isnt good for you. If you are trying to lose weight you really want to lose fat dont you? You dont want to lose muscle mass and fat. So you really should be into FAT loss not weight loss. Therefore you MUST eat regularly in order to keep your body living on its fat reserves and nothing else. The advantages here are easy to see no lean body mass is lost so your rate of fat loss must be greater. You will achieve your goals quicker. Give the guy a break Hes RIGHT!!
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I am amazed at what a negative response the OP has had! I agree that "You must eat breakfast" might be quite a hard way of saying what works for him. I do think he is right. It is a well known fact that if you starve yourself your metabolism does slow down, 8 hours sleepis in effect an 8 hour fast and if you are trying to lose weight it is very likely you didnt eat before you went to bed. So where are you getting your energy from. Its likely you are cannibalizing your muscle mass and that isnt good for you. If you are trying to lose weight you really want to lose fat dont you? You dont want to lose muscle mass and fat. So you really should be into FAT loss not weight loss. Therefore you MUST eat regularly in order to keep your body living on its fat reserves and nothing else. The advantages here are easy to see no lean body mass is lost so your rate of fat loss must be greater. You will achieve your goals quicker. Give the guy a break Hes RIGHT!!

Remember the food you ate the night before? Well it takes hours for that to digest and the energy to get into your system. And while you sleep your digestive system slows down, so it takes even longer for energy from the last food you ate to enter your system. Fasting for up to 24 hours is fine, after that you may run into some of the issues you describe.

So no, he is not right. It is the way he did it, but the reason he lost weight was that he was in a caloric deficit long enough to lose that much weight, it is that simple.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    I'd give the guy a break for being right if he was right, but he's not right.

There are many folks who have posted in this thread who are very knowledgeable about how to go about maintaining lean body mass and increasing strength while eating in a deficit in order to lose fat. While adaptive thermogenesis (aka "starvation mode") is real, it doesn't happen after not eating for 8 hours but, rather, by underfeeding your body for a long period of time. Your metabolism does not slow down over night.

I am one that can't eat breakfast. I have no morning appetite. Food early in the day almost makes me nauseous. And I find it very difficult to hit my calorie and macro targets if I eat breakfast. I tried it for awhile and it just didn't suit me. I tend to ingest most, and quite often all, of my calories between about 10am-6pm. It works well for me and I am not losing muscle. I am steadily increasing the weights I can lift just fine without eating breakfast.

There are many people who are successfully losing fat and maintaining lean body mass who are consciously doing intermittent fasting (IF) and it works quite well for them.

ETA: If you like eating breakfast, go for it. Meal-timing should be based on what fits into a person's lifestyle and preferences but it has no impact on fat-loss.
  • Hendrix7
    Hendrix7 Posts: 1,903 Member
    Options

OH GOD.

PLEASE STOP.
    Therefore you MUST eat regularly in order to keep your body living on its fat reserves and nothing else.

this part is especially brilliant.
  • annelucy
    Options
    "Jump starting your metabolism" is BS

"You have to eat breakfast" is BS

"You have to eat x number of meals" is BS

There is a lot of BS in these threads!

Too true but at least there aren't any calories in BS...... Unless you deep fry it
  • mmapags
    mmapags Posts: 8,934 Member
    Options

OH GOD.

PLEASE STOP.
    Therefore you MUST eat regularly in order to keep your body living on its fat reserves and nothing else.

this part is especially brilliant.

LOL!! This doesn't even qualify to be Broscience. It's just Noscience.
  • LCgymnast
    Options
    Thanks for the information. I'll start trying to eat breakfast with more protein now.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the whole OP because the subject line and first few sentences were just too silly. There are NO "musts" in weight loss.

You MUST eat a calorie deficit under TDEE for weight loss.

As someone already pointed out, this is not true. Just as eating less than TDEE is no guarantee of weight loss.

He didn't say it's a guarantee. He said it's a precondition.

must    /mʌst/ [muhst] auxiliary verb
    1. to be obliged or bound to by an imperative requirement: I must keep my word.
    2. to be under the necessity to; need to: Animals must eat to live.
    3. to be required or compelled to, as by the use or threat of force: You must obey the law.
    4. to be compelled to in order to fulfill some need or achieve an aim: We must hurry if we're to arrive on time.
    5. to be forced to, as by convention or the requirements of honesty: I must say, that is a lovely hat.

Umm your point?
    All those definitions prove my point - it's a precondition, NOT a guarantee.
    ie. just because an animal eats doesn't mean it will live. Its head might get bitten off by a cougar. But if it doesn't eat at all it certainly won't live.

Nice try but come again.

point = If you "must" eat a deficit to lose weight then it is guaranteed that you won't lose weight without it. (which is not true)

True. I guess you can still lose weight while eating over TDEE - you can chop off a limb for example. Ok you got me! Please share how I can lose weight while eating more calories than I burn?
  • Deipneus
    Deipneus Posts: 1,862 Member
    Options
    Okay, I'll play: If you want to lose weight, you MUST exercise.
  • AngryDiet
    AngryDiet Posts: 1,349 Member
    Options
    Didn't read the whole OP because the subject line and first few sentences were just too silly. There are NO "musts" in weight loss.

You MUST eat a calorie deficit under TDEE for weight loss.

As someone already pointed out, this is not true. Just as eating less than TDEE is no guarantee of weight loss.

He didn't say it's a guarantee. He said it's a precondition.

must    /mʌst/ [muhst] auxiliary verb
    1. to be obliged or bound to by an imperative requirement: I must keep my word.
    2. to be under the necessity to; need to: Animals must eat to live.
    3. to be required or compelled to, as by the use or threat of force: You must obey the law.
    4. to be compelled to in order to fulfill some need or achieve an aim: We must hurry if we're to arrive on time.
    5. to be forced to, as by convention or the requirements of honesty: I must say, that is a lovely hat.

Umm your point?
    All those definitions prove my point - it's a precondition, NOT a guarantee.
    ie. just because an animal eats doesn't mean it will live. Its head might get bitten off by a cougar. But if it doesn't eat at all it certainly won't live.

Nice try but come again.

point = If you "must" eat a deficit to lose weight then it is guaranteed that you won't lose weight without it. (which is not true)

True. I guess you can still lose weight while eating over TDEE - you can chop off a limb for example. Ok you got me! Please share how I can lose weight while eating more calories than I burn?

I keep asking him this, but he doesn't want to share his secret.