• junipearl
    junipearl Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    piratesarecool.jpg
    what i was thinking
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    While I thank you for posting what you see as good advice, most of it is stuff that a person doesn't have to do. The vast majority (if not all) of the studies cited are epidemiological studies, all they show is correlation not causation. They can indicate where further clinical studies should be done, but in themselves do not prove that the particular thing mentioned achieved the results. To lose weight a person must eat at a reasonable calorie deficit, all the other stuff mentioned could be valuable for an individual if it helps them to maintain that calorie deficit, but those things listed will not do that for many people.

I will take the breakfast one for example. That is likely talking about eating upon rising from bed. I don't do that because when I do I will run out of calories by the end of the day, and still be hungry. Not eating upon waking up has not hurt my losses at all. Why? The answer is clear, it is because I count calories, and eating the way I do helps me stay within my calorie goals.

Similarly for eating at night. There is not some magic time when food consumed becomes fat. I eat many of my calories in the 3-4 hours before going to bed because I sleep better with a full stomach. By the way that is not true for some people in particular those with reflux. Again, doing so has had no negative affect on my weight loss because I stay within my calories. The problem with the epidemiological study was it simply looked said the problem was eating at night where the problem is really eating too many calories. If I am done my calories at 3 pm, then I stop eating. If I still have calories at 9 pm, I eat.

I really think that you (and others) are missing the point, of the post, sir...The fact of the matter is...If you are currently experiencing adverse weight problems...It would be highly unlikely and understandable that you would not have cultivated many of these habits ...This list only tells you what is happening.among people with no weight problem. Why It happens is subject to personal interpretation by the individuals involved.

The value of the list is in trying to figure out why these things may be working for so many people who do not have weight problems...not whether this behavior is right or wrong. ..Somebody mentioned common sense...that is an excellent place to start. From a common sense standpoint...What are these habits? 1.Regular meal times 2. Constantly monitoring their weight 3. Eat only what you know the caloric value for 4.Setting goals 5.Reading ,listening and learning ...etc etc. etc...How can you argue with that?
  • SirDoctorofTARDIS
    SirDoctorofTARDIS Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I'd like to see specific references to articles rather than the broad sweeping statements that you made with most of these. Also I call shenanigans on #2
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    piratesarecool.jpg

Yea, but do pirates eat breakfast??
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with some but thanks for sharing! :flowerforyou:
  • GibblesandBits8064
    Options
    bump:drinker:
  • jtakingcareofherself
    Options
    While I thank you for posting what you see as good advice, most of it is stuff that a person doesn't have to do. The vast majority (if not all) of the studies cited are epidemiological studies, all they show is correlation not causation. They can indicate where further clinical studies should be done, but in themselves do not prove that the particular thing mentioned achieved the results. To lose weight a person must eat at a reasonable calorie deficit, all the other stuff mentioned could be valuable for an individual if it helps them to maintain that calorie deficit, but those things listed will not do that for many people.

I will take the breakfast one for example. That is likely talking about eating upon rising from bed. I don't do that because when I do I will run out of calories by the end of the day, and still be hungry. Not eating upon waking up has not hurt my losses at all. Why? The answer is clear, it is because I count calories, and eating the way I do helps me stay within my calorie goals.

Similarly for eating at night. There is not some magic time when food consumed becomes fat. I eat many of my calories in the 3-4 hours before going to bed because I sleep better with a full stomach. By the way that is not true for some people in particular those with reflux. Again, doing so has had no negative affect on my weight loss because I stay within my calories. The problem with the epidemiological study was it simply looked said the problem was eating at night where the problem is really eating too many calories. If I am done my calories at 3 pm, then I stop eating. If I still have calories at 9 pm, I eat.

I really think that you (and others) are missing the point, of the post, sir...The fact of the matter is...If you are currently experiencing adverse weight problems...It would be highly unlikely and understandable that you would not have cultivated many of these habits ...This list only tells you what is happening.among people with no weight problem. Why It happens is subject to personal interpretation by the individuals involved.

The value of the list is in trying to figure out why these things may be working for so many people who do not have weight problems...not whether this behavior is right or wrong. ..Somebody mentioned common sense...that is an excellent place to start. From a common sense standpoint...What are these habits? 1.Regular meal times 2. Constantly monitoring their weight 3. Eat only what you know the caloric value for 4.Setting goals 5.Reading ,listening and learning ...etc etc. etc...How can you argue with that?

Uhmm... I think you may be the one missing the point, beansprouts. The point was correlation does not equal causation.
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I agree, that's why I don't agree with the scale one. Muscles weights more than fat!
  • Gwen_B
    Gwen_B Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I do 75% and agree with all except the scales. Of course I have no desire to be skinny, I want to be curvy and toned.
  • Spartan_Maker
    Spartan_Maker Posts: 683 Member
    Options
    Anecdotally, 1-5, 7-10, 12-13, and 16-20, generally ring true.

As for 6, 11, 14, and 15, I'm agnostic.
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Uhmm... I think you may be the one missing the point, beansprouts. The point was correlation does not equal causation.

The article never said to do these things if you want to be skinny.
  • frayedfotos
    frayedfotos Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I just realized that keeping a food journal is nowhere on that list. It should be number 1! It is a fact that people who keep accurate food journals lose weight and keep it off.
    [/quote]
    This is so true look at all the success we have had on MFP, all those tickers showing pounds lost!
  • bunchesonothing
    bunchesonothing Posts: 1,015 Member
    Options
    I used to be the skinny chick my friends would think of if the topic of skinny chicks came up.

When I was my skinniest, I had no use for the scale. When I started being unhappy with my body is when I started looking at the scale, to figure out what was going on.

I probably did have a boring diet. This might have been true for me. Never even considered a food a reward. I didn't bother with diet and exercise tips until my body started making me unhappy. About snacks, alacarte, whole grains: Again, I never put so much emphasis on what I did with my food. And my stomach is far too sensitive for too spicy food.

Frankly, me personally.... food was a non-issue. I didn't think about it, focus on my body shape. I ran, but it was because I liked running, not because I was focused on my body.

My relationship with food and exercise was pleasant, not strained or seriously thought through or dissected.

I HAVE ALWAYS liked my sleep though.

One thing I did do.... was when I was hungry, I ate. When I was not, I didn't. And that used to PISS PEOPLE OFF and worry them. That I wasn't eating enough. That I wasn't finishing my plate. This goes back to me being a kid. Refused to eat when I was not hungry. And sometimes, even if I was hungry... meh, it could wait awhile.

In fact, once a family member made me eat something when I was full. I literally got sick. Never happened again.
  • meeka472
    meeka472 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Wow...I just posted some great tips that i read that I think are helpful. Hopefully this information is taken in that light. With anything, take out the meat and throw away the bones if you don't agree. This article was a helpful reminder for me and I thought I'd share it with others who might find these tips helpful. I really didn't post this to start a debate or discussion on what's right and what's wrong.

Cheers and i wish each and every one of you the best in your weight loss/maintenance journey.
  • DawnEH612
    DawnEH612 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I think that not one size fits all... Wile some of these things are helpful to some, they may not work for others. I for one must have "breakfast" when I get up. Not necessarily for weight loss, but because my body is used to being fueled when I get up. I eat the same boring breakfast, coffee and lunch 90% of the time... Dinner, which I don't usually eat until after 9 pm, typically varies. And I consumerist of my calories in my evening snacks, up to and including right before I get into bed at which time I consume something with a good bit of protein in it. I have lost over 40 pounds and gained a decent amount of muscle... So....
  • Lift_hard_eat_big
    Lift_hard_eat_big Posts: 2,278 Member
    Options
    I do many of those things, yet I'm bulking rather nicely.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Skinny Habit #5 sounds like a sales pitch. I'm guessing this list came from a fitness magazine that promotes health and fitness tips?

It may sound like a sales pitch from a health magazine - but it does make sense to me. If you're reading weight loss tips, then healthier eating is in the forefront of your mind, and I would think you'd tend to eat better just because you're thinking and not just mindlessly grabbing food.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    While I totally agree that correlation does not equal causation, there are some tips that might help some people. For example, for me, eating breakfast is definitely wrong. If I eat breakfast, I eat more all day long and find it harder to stay within my calorie and macro targets. For others, it might be a big help.

I also can't help but note that there are many countries where the general population tends to be slender who typically eat their dinners quite late like at 8-9pm. For example, that's the French way and the French tend to be much thinner than Americans.