So...My mom died.

Options

Replies

• claire19625
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about your mum dying, mine died of cancer at 72, she was my mum and my best friend, since then I have been battling to keep my weight down, its oh so easy to emotionally eat and before you know it as you said you've put on more weight and think I'll deal with that later, my later is now, I have hypertension and high blood pressure both of which I am working on by exercise and diet. I also have a loud heart murmur and my cardiologist doesnt know why yet. I think he expects to fine something due to family history.

I am glad to hear you are picking your self up, remember you only have to deal with today and no further, I find that helps me a lot.

Keep going and I am sure you will loose your weight, dont loose hope.

Claire19625
  • beansprouts
    beansprouts Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Wow...What happened to your mom could have happened to me (or anybody on MFP)..Thanks for sharing your story:flowerforyou: .
  • CandanceWeaver
    CandanceWeaver Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    My deepest sympathy to you for the loss of your mother. I lost my dad at 67 just a few years back. It is a difficult thing to loose a parent. Please know that you are not alone and that it is healing to tell people about your mom. And to tell people about your feeling about your mom. Thanks for sharing your story, as it reminds all of us that it is our choices that get us where we are, and it is our choices that move us to new places. Thank you for that reminder.

One tip I give people is to go out and find real 9" or less plates. Just by getting my family to eat off of smaller plates we've changed our thinking about how much food we eat. Now, my husband and I go to restaurants and are shocked by the size of a dinner plate and can plan to take things home. That has been one thing that stopped the weight gain for us.

Again so sorry about your mom, but keep logging in and checking in with people. Accountability helps a ton and the online community is supportive.
  • deb62pink
    deb62pink Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear your mum died at such a young age, my mum died last year at 67 as well, of Cancer....I believe she would still be here if she had a better diet all her life.....Congratulations on making the decision that you have made, coming to MFP is going to be the straw that broke the camels back for you, logging your food and being accountable is the most important part of your success ( I believe) it is what has helped me lose the amount of weight that I have. You need to get it in your head that it is not a diet, it is a lifestyle change. Think about every morsel of food that goes in, what is it doing to my body, is it gonna clog my veins etc, that all helped me. I still have about 5kgs to go to reach goal, but I'm so happy and feel so much better getting this far. Good luck, I hope you do well, and think of your mum and how she wouldn't want you to go down the same path. xoxox
  • JPZ98
    JPZ98 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your mom. I lost my dad 8 years ago and I still miss him. Congrats to you on taking the first step to changing your life. I would love to be your friend and help you through your journey if you would like to add me.
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I lost my mum a year ago August, she was 64 and it is something which will take time to get over. My mum has cancer, her third type.
    She survived cervical and pancreatic, then she got bowel cancer and speptisemia from that, she was gone within a week.
    I had started to try and sort my life before this for the sake of myself and my children, they hadn't started school then.
    I have come a fair ways but it isn't an easy journey to take but I am glad happy about what I have learnt and achieved along the way.
    Good luck, keep trying, don't give up
  • winterdancer
    Options
    I am sorry to hear about your mom. I didn't lose my mom but I did my dad when I was 15 years old.
  • jwapal
    jwapal Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your Mom. It is difficult losing a parent. You can do it (for yourself and your loved ones!) this site has helped me so much. Portion control and making informed decisions about what you eat are the key. Also adding a little movement every day helps! Good luck on your journey :)
  • TennesseeSodaholic
    Options
    Feel free to add me.

Little things can make a big difference. I have given up soda and just drink water now. You could start with something like that and then add a bit of walking. Little steps first.

You have conquered the biggest hurdle: you have acknowledged how serious the problem is.

Good luck and so sorry for your loss.
  • kuger4119
    kuger4119 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    As long as you work at it and are patient, you will reach your goal. I started out with an intial goal to lose 17 lbs and was shocked at how easy it was once I applied myself. And that was after spending 10 years yoyo-ing up and down 10 lbs. I went ahead and lost 27 lbs just to prove to myself I could do it. Your goal is a bit more aggressive and it will take a lot of work to accomplish it.

Without knowing your situation, shoot for the stars but be happy if you can average 1 lb per week and get halfway there by the wedding. Don't let the wedding be the end all purpose though (and it sounds like you understand that).
  • BamaGirl777
    Options
    I am so sorry about your Mom! You can do this! Feel free to add me and we can motivate each other!!:smile:
  • branson101
    branson101 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry to here about your mom. My father had a heart attack when I was 16. The doctors told him that if he didn't go on a diet, lose weight, and quit smoking he'd be dead in 5 yrs. He refused to listen to them. 5yrs and 1 month after that first heart attack my mother woke up to find that he'd suffered a massive coronary and was gone. He was only 52. My 46yo brother had a stroke last April. I know exactly where you are coming from. Please feel free to add me as a friend. I would love to support you on your journey. And Congrats about your daughters upcoming wedding.
  • lizchristine
    lizchristine Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry about your mom. I want to tell you that joining MFP is a wonderful first step! We will support you and I think your goal is very reasonable. You can do it and we will support you! Don't give up.
  • unlocke
    unlocke Posts: 149
    Options
    Sounds like the key for you will be to find something that you will enjoy doing to help get the weight loss going. For example; try starting out with walking (Leslie Sansone videos are GREAT!), maybe playing tennis, swimming, etc. Just find something that will burn calories. The more you do, the more you will want to do. The journey is 99% mental, so if you can wrap your mind around it, you can do it. Just DON'T give up. We're all here to help and support you.
  • jkk3476
    jkk3476 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I read your post and it almost mirrors my life. My mom died also from complications from obesity and lost her mobility in November of 2011 and passed in March of this year. I am morbidly obese as well and have decided to do something about it. My mom always said she didn't diet because she didn't want to live that way well I don't want to live that way she did. She had spent the last probably 10 years with limited mobility and not being able to do the things she wanted. I don't want that to be my life and I refuse to let food kill me. Thanks for your post I needed to read your story I have 150 pounds to lose but I am going to do the work.
  • klindemoen17
    klindemoen17 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Im so sorry about your mom :( Congrats! To finding this site- YOU got this! Please accept my request if you would like some extra motivation! :)
  • DaBossLady24
    DaBossLady24 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    Sending my thoughts to you and your family. I'm sorry for your loss. I do love your tenacity to get back up and finish what you set out to do years ago. If you need motivation or a listening ear, I'm here.

Good luck on your journey and know that YOU GOT THIS! :flowerforyou:
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry for your loss. No matter your age losing a parent is really hard. You don't really realize how important they are to you until they are gone.

I lost my father three years ago. He was 53 years old. Even though he died because he lived a hard, fast life he now stands as an example for me to push through and be all that I can be (corny, but true!). I do not want to turn out like my father did... I want to live longer than that. I want to die with no regrets. I want to die knowing full well that I tried my best, and that I kept myself challenged until the end.

Even though you lost your mom and shoulda coulda woulda had her longer if she had taken better care of herself, her death wasn't for nothing. She left you with the drive to push through and change your life. Every time you want to give up in the fight think of your mom. Live for her!

You CAN do it. You WILL do it. :) Small steps lead to big things...
  • CynThiaSC
    Options
    I am sorry for your loss. I too am watching my mother's overweight and unhealthy lifestyle affect her quality of life. This has given me incentive to take control of my weight. Like you, Idon't want to follow in her footsteps. I hope you are able to make lifechanging decisions. I am fighting the same battle myself! Keep strong! :)
  • sammyjo0402
    sammyjo0402 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I am so so sorry... my mom died in September of 2010 being very much so overweight as well, her cause of death wasn't due solely to her being overweight, but I definitely can understand the loss, for that I hope you find closure and comfort...
    As far as you are concerned, it's obvious how that can be a definite motivator to be proactive and lose some weight. 7lbs. is absolutely attainable and honestly, for you it should be very simple on your body losing it. Your own mental strengths will be the hurdle... and that can be so hard!! Just a few simple modifications of cutting out bad carbs, starches, try to limit and cut out breads and pastas, stay away from saturated and trans fats, processed foods, sodas, and really watch how much sugar you're intaking (not just from desserts!!) and I can practically guarantee weight will begin to just melt off you.
    Wish you luck. (: I know I'm younger so there's difference in the "simpleness" of it but I still hope the best for you..