Has anyone successfully given up coffee?

Options

Replies

• Ichristini
    Ichristini Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I would like to try weaning myself off coffee but I'm worried that I will be really tired and eat more in attempt to energize myself.
    Can anyone recommend some survival strategies?

I have learned the joy of Tea. I love flavored black tea from The republic of tea.!

25851322.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • PatsyFitzpatrick
    PatsyFitzpatrick Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    I hated coffee most of my young 51yrs. But something happened at 45yrs. I had to get glasses for the first time and I tried coffee Jamcianme Crazy (from Tampa by Joffery) Now I am a 2 cup a day and have no plans to quit unless the cost go up up up!!! I refuse to pay $10 for a pound. Anyone notice how the unit wt has gone done but the price is the same. No inflation hahah that is a lie.

But I love coffee today.
  • Shoshona1950
    Shoshona1950 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Not successfully - but often, as my heart races and I become cranky and anxious when I do drink coffee. It tastes delicious and is an anti-inflammatory and I love sharing a good cup on the occasional the morning with my neighbor. I have come up with the idea of having a 'homeopathic' cup of coffee - an espresso sized cup with my good next door friend - with her regular coffee in it - NOT espresso. Some of our bodies are more sensitive than others - I know people who have a cup of coffee before going to bed with no problem! If I have a regular size coffee after ten A.M. I'm awake at night......coffee, like most things, works for some and is toxic to some. Right now I'm thinking how good coffee would be up at my neighbor's on this rainy morning BUT I am also remembering how jittery and nauseous I felt yesterday after having only hot cocoa - the good dark kind.....so....I will go down and brew up a nice pot of tea and have some oatmeal and feel fine - and have energy and concentration to focus on my tasks at hand. Do what you can do.
  • ChunkiChica
    Options
    Is this the wrong post to say that I hate coffee? :grumble: :huh:

I'm more of a caffeine-soda drinker. Grew up with it in the house.

I find that drinking a lot of water helps alleviate the migraines. Eventually, your body gets used to the lack of caffeine. It shouldn't take long. :glasses:
  • ashleyh3156
    ashleyh3156 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    love coffee, won't ever quit has benefits you should research!
  • snarky
    snarky Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I started the process in January. I kept up with the number up cups, but went half caf for a week or two. Then I decreased the number of cups throughout the day. I was just a pain in the neck to make two pots all the time, so I had it less frequently. I started having herbal tea in the evening. Next I went straight decaf. with more frequent herbal tea. I have one cup of decaf a day.

I thought it would be impossible, since I used to drink it all day, every day, but it wasn't bad. Plus I can sleep so much better. I think that the caffeine was really built up in my system. Even though at one point I wasn't having coffee after noon, I still couldn't sleep more than 5 hours a night. Now I am at 7 - 9 which is really, really amazing :)

good luck!
  • lilpoindexter
    lilpoindexter Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Not me. I'll give up other stuff first. I don't think it even has an effect on me anymore, I just enjoy it, and don't want to give it up.
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options
    <--- This girl right here! I haven't had coffee in 4 months, except maybe about two iced coffees!

I like coffee still, and maybe when it gets colder I'll drink it, but I have switched to tea and I feel fine.

Not to mention, my teeth are sooo much whiter since I stopped drinking coffee!
  • UncleMac
    UncleMac Posts: 12,900 Member
    Options
    *GASP*

Blasphemy!

:drinker:
    Agreed.... (slowly sips coffee)... Yeah, this...
  • shoneybabes
    shoneybabes Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I react quite badly to caffeine, although I do drink green tea. I also drink decaff coffee and decaff Tetley but I am going to stop drinking the decaff coffee for the soul reason that I won't be taking sugar in it anymore and I can't drink it straight.

I don't miss caffeine but I do miss the smell. If I go to a coffee shop I get a soya hot chocolate to satify the sweet flavour or get a decaff mocha but in the long run I prefer not drinking it.

Also give it up for life as it is always harder to stop once you try it again. Many folk are saying that. There are some amazing equivalents out there.

Try different teas, it took me years to find or acquire a taste for flavoured teas but there are some lovely ones out there. I love a hot drink and would struggle to not have one.

Also if anyone struggles, just take it a day at a time. Drink plenty of water and flush it out, headaches or irritable emotions will go. Be strong.
  • BeeElMarvin
    BeeElMarvin Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Nope. I have no intention of giving it up.

2 cups - black, no sugar, each day.
  • jimbo_a_logo
    jimbo_a_logo Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    "Has anyone successfully given up coffee?"

Yes. Many times.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I would like to try weaning myself off coffee but I'm worried that I will be really tired and eat more in attempt to energize myself.
    Can anyone recommend some survival strategies?

Why are you trying to give it up? Sigificant research shows many health benefits to coffee. It's mostly the cream and sugar that need to be limited.
    This, why give up something so healthy? Helps prevent cardiovascular disease, hypertension, stroke, Parkinson's disease, Alzheimer's disease, type 2 diabetes, and certain cancers. Why would anyone want to stop drinking it?
  • atsteele
    atsteele Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Why on earth would you quit such a glorious glorious habit!!!???

:noway:

Ok, really..........I have quit when I got pregnant...just went cold turkey. When I started losing weight, I switched to black tea and I was able to seriously cut back on my caffeine intake. I found the gradual cut back was easier to deal with than cutting it cold turkey.

That said......I'm hooked again. And this thread makes me want a latte.
    :drinker:

^^^ This. *slurping my homemade pumpkin spice frappe (made with nonfat Greek yogurt instead of half & half)* MMMmmmmmm... so good! :D
  • RobinvdM
    RobinvdM Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    When I first started my weight loss journey back at the end of Jan I was drinking 6-8 cups a day, and by 2 month mark accidentally quit drinking it because I prioritized drinking water (which I can't stand...) up to 8 glasses a day. Once I realised I had quit drinking it, I kept "off" Recently I discovered the single serving coffee "tea bags" and bought some, and my first cup I could feel the surge in my body from the caffeine reaction (or maybe my body was just excited to see coffee again?) Hard to say, but either way it made me feel uncomfortable. So now, I have no issues with wanting coffee. Though it still smells amazing =\
  • slackerwoman
    slackerwoman Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    Gave it up several times. Sucked every time. 3 days of migraines that nothing helped. Every time I swore it would be the last time I went through that. Now I avoid it by drinking coffee. :bigsmile:
    No other caffeine sources during the day though. No soda. Just water or water with lemon.

Same here! No reason to quit. I try to limit it to one cup of coffee per day (but still do two cups sometimes) and I drink decaffeinated green tea or water and chamomile tea at bedtime. I drink the decaf green tea straight...no sweeteners. Its citrusy. Believe it or not, I really think it helps me stay focused.
  • jenbk2
    jenbk2 Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    I have thought about it as well- but it is my morning ritual. It is literally what gets me out of bed some mornings. That first sip.. aahh. I only drink decaf so I am not worried about the caffine.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Would not want to.

1 cup a day has diabetes prevention and lots of antioxidants!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just stick to one cup/day to get all of the health benefits (I have a travel mug each day that I use with my Keurig)
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    green tea. You WILL suffer headaches, anxiety and more stress, but I stopped cold turkey and now drink green tea.
  • tryshaantonelli
    tryshaantonelli Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Arbonne has a wellness line that includes 'fizz tabs'. They are tablets you add to water and they have citrus and pomegranate. They have B vitamins, a little caffine and a few other things. That helped me kick the java. it gives you the energy boost you would get from coffee with the added benefit of cleansing liver and kidneys (cant remember how, but it does).
    It takes a little getting used to, but i really like it. It does not replace the love of coffee flavor, so I still sneek the occastional latte, but i'm off the daily need for it.