So...My mom died.

Options

Replies

• gebe1231
    gebe1231 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I too am sorry to hear of the loss of your mother! But want to thank you for sharing your story! People like her is my inspiration to lose weight & get healthy as well! We CAN do this! I'm sending a friend request as well! I'd love to cheer ya along! You have some great goals! (((Hugs)))
  • Alotalove4u
    Alotalove4u Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Wow!!
    Words cant express how I feel to read your story, But let that be your inspiration.. God is able..
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I lost my dad at 67 last year sept 15. IT was cancer. It is tough. The experience horrifying. Feels like yesterday...
  • tbielaczyc
    Options
    Bravo! My condolences to you and your family. What a positive way to honor her.
  • tenaheff
    Options
    I am really sorry that you lost your Mom and at such a young age, but I commend you for making the decision to make different choices. Your Mom would be (is) proud of you!

I know you can do this! I suggest including exercise - even if it is just walking. It makes the journey easier. One it raises your metabolism and two, it provides more calories for you to eat and still lose weight. I usually don't eat all of my exercise calories, but I do enjoy having the freedom to eat some of them. Others swear by the tactic of eating them all. In any case, exercise is your friend.

Tena
  • SusanLovesToEat
    SusanLovesToEat Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry for your loss...

My father and my dear cousin died from the complications of their obesity-diabetes, hypertension, arteriosclerosis and my husband is also showing symptoms of weight related diseases.

It is a big decision to begin a journey which will fundamentally change your entire life. It's more than weightloss (which is great) but for me it was a decision to stop focusing on my weight and start looking at how I was living, my quality of life, and what I was eating. It is about making different choices every day and then seeing how those choices create the kind of life you want to live.

MFP has been great because it helped release me from the diet and excercise rollercoaster fueled by my best intentions.

Now I can clearly see what I eat everyday and it has helped me make better choices each day and to see the results each day. Now I am accountable to myself on a daily basis and have a support group to provide advice and encouragement. This is the first time I've felt that this will be a permanent loss and not just an other diet in order to lose a few pound which I quickly regain with interest.

My one recommendation is to take it slowly as this is a lifelong commitment and it will take to change the habits of a lifetime. Getting the hang of building menus and finding foods to fill you up and finding the time to fit in the exercise everyday take some doing but is totally achievable.

Good luck!
  • lizzybethclaire
    lizzybethclaire Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    You just inspired me to give it a go even though I feel like crap. thank you :)
  • deedeebops
    Options
    I enjoyed reading your story very much. I am going thru the same problems and just started this life-changing site a week ago due to my sisters and have lost about 9 pounds so far. I agree with you that the more support you have the more it will motivate you. Keep working at it for your daughter's big day!!
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    I am sorry about you losing your mom. :brokenheart: I lost mine a few years ago and for the same reasons.
    My mom died at 80 years of age and I am now 63, four years younger than your mom was.
    I can relate to this. I am Type 2 diabetic because of being obese. I got a good report from
    my doctor this month that it seems with diet and exercise I have that beat. Now we are
    trying to get the cholesterol in check. I am in the 180's of onderland but not where I should be
    for my health issues. That is why I joined this site. I will friend you and we can go on this journey
    together. You have lots of time now to get your act together and start losing this weight.
    What a wonderful goal you have now, your daughter's wedding. :bigsmile:

My next goal is going to Europe with my two daughter's next summer. I need to lose so I can enjoy
    myself on this trip and not worry about what I am eating.

Good luck with your journey, I am sure you will make your goal with alot of hard work. Keep us posted
    how you are doing.

Shirley
  • Chelkb
    Chelkb Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I am very sorry for the loss of your mom. My mom died in February 2005 at the age of 54 from multiple organ failure due to congestive heart failure. I was six months pregnant with my first child. She was a smoker, had diabetes and was overweight. Point blank, she didn't take care of herself. I, myself was a smoker and knew if I continued, I too would die at a young age. I quit smoking and approximately a year after she passed, I started exercising. I want to do what is within my power to be around for my children and for them to look at me as a role model. At first, I joined Curves and walked a few times per week. Now, I have completed my third half marathon and workout with weights (up to a 25lb kettlebell) between four to five times per week.

You can do this. Good days and bad days...keep pushing ahead. Being around for your children and future grandchildren will be your motivators.
  • future_rockstar
    future_rockstar Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    My condolences on the loss of your mom. Both of my parents are gone now, and I miss them dearly every day. What you are undertaking is a wonderful way to both honour your mom (I'm sure she would be very proud of you) and, even more importantly, get your health in order. Looking great for your daughter's wedding would be a wonderful side benefit, and clearly doable. Feel free to friend me if you would like :flowerforyou:
  • akgolden1
    akgolden1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry! I lost my mom 4 years ago and it still hurts. But, taking care of yourself is such a great way to pay tribute to your mom and the love she had for you. She would want you to be happy and healthy, and have the best life that you possibly can. I wish you the best of luck!
  • buttons2455
    Options
    well done for taking the first steps its not easy and u will feel like giving up some times . But you will find the will power some how and were all here to help each other. so welcome im nicky feel free to add me on here and good luck on your journey :) xx
  • Baloostika
    Baloostika Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yes u can, for you and for your children. May ur mom continue to rest in peace, Amen.
  • scoutmom22
    Options
    oh sweet friend. you can and you will! if you need another friend, please add me. :)

same exact thing runs maternally in my family as well. my mom has now (at 66) out lived my grandmother (who died the same way as you described at 62), and i plan on living until i'm 100. we can do this!!!
  • reneecgc
    reneecgc Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    You can do it. I am 45 and I weighed 216lbs on February 8th 2012. In less than six months I weighed in at 154.
    Good luck and if you need any advice feel free to ask.
  • MyFaithAtWork
    MyFaithAtWork Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    you are not alone and we all can do this together with us putting God fist. You Can Do All Things Through Christ Who Strengthens You- Phillipians 4:13 All thing not some but ALL keep that in mind. You already have taken the fist setp so just keep steping and know your Pal are always here.. add me to your friends
  • paulywoo
    paulywoo Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Such a moving story, so sorry for your loss. This site has the best support network and I hope it works as well for you as it has for me. Good luck in your journey. Your Mum would be very proud of you. Feel free to add me as a friend
  • Jbadiam
    Jbadiam Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Hang in there you can do it, this site is great !! Lots of wonderful supportive people !:smile:
  • m0ll3pprz
    m0ll3pprz Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh, I am so sorry to hear of your painful loss. I just want you to know that you and your mom will be in my prayers. I wish you peace, strength, courage and wellness in the coming days and beyond. Please feel free to add me, the more encouragement and support- the better. You have the power to do this and you will succeed for your family, your mom and yourself. Please take good care.

God Bless