egg whites vs egg yolks

Options
124»

Replies

• TexasTroy
    TexasTroy Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Egg yolks aren't really that bad for you, I just avoid them because they taste disgusting. Even thinking about them is... :sick:

With the egg white/salmonella thing... you can get salmonella contamination from the egg shell. I was always told to wash eggs before cracking them and the eggs are usually fine if fully cooked.

lol...true, kinda yucky to think about....kinda makes ya wonder who the idiot was that first cracked open an egg and thought..." mmmm, that looks tasty ..." lmao.
  • Flowers4Julia
    Flowers4Julia Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    Hey Q-T pie! I have a 19 yr old daughter away at college too and she faces this dilemma as well.

First try to know that egg yolks are good for you! They contain great nutrtion and micro-nutrients that your brain needs to function and thats good for college! Second, butter isn't a bad fat either. We were all raised with the low fat is better way of thinking but now it just isn't so! Try to remember fat won't make you fat but higher sugary carbohydrates will because they push your body to put out more insulin in the blood stream. Insulin then encourages your body to hold onto its body fat and burn the quicker energy that the carbohydrates give you. So, in order to burn the unwanted stored up body fat, you need to eat fat and less carbohydrates.

I know college cafeterias are getting better so just try to stick to good wholesome basic foods and away from the huge pasta portions!

And, I was just thinkin, if I ate a 3-4 egg onlette I might be full till dinner and that's not a bad thing at all! Eggs are relatively low calorie and really healthy food....eat those heartily! And, have some bacon as well! Skip the toast though....read a book called "Wheat Belly".

Many mornings my daughter gets egg/bacon and broccoli for breakfast, puts butter on top and holds her till an early dinner.

It's good that you posted this, never mind the people here who want to disrespect you with their silly cartoons!

Have a happy day and study hard!
  • TNnative
    TNnative Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Now I want eggs.
    :-/

Sounds good, I think I'll have eggs for lunch.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    It's actually an increased risk of salmonella if you are using the shells to separate the yolk from the white -- it's a health department thing, lots of places won't do it for that reason.

Can you name any?

I call BS. Salmonella exists inside the egg. It still gets cooked. So does chicken. Do these places not cook chicken either?

Also, some notes about food safety: http://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.au/_Documents/industry_pdf/safe_handling_raw_egg_products.pdf

First page, right column under "separating eggs".

Hope those sources are helpful in clearing up any BS concerns.
  • BABetter1
    BABetter1 Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    Whats wrong with eggs again? Oh yea YOLKS ARE EVIL........I heard they actually have weapons of mass destruction, but won't let the U.N. in. Stupid Jerky Yolks...

LOL!! Now that is friggin' hilarious!! :laugh:

Okay, but seriously people, did you all see the Smart *kitten* thread and accidentally clicked this one instead? To the original poster, you might want to really stop and think before posting a perfectly innocent, though slightly "frivolous" (sorry, not trying to hurt your feelings) question. A lot of these people on here are like a pack of wolves, and if they smell weakness (or if they get bored because nobody has posted any interesting topics :devil: ) they will attack. Trust me on this one.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I guess because I eat 4-5 whole eggs almost each day, I'm going to die soon. Damn.
  • stargazer008
    Options
    Yolks have a lot of nutrients!
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    It's actually an increased risk of salmonella if you are using the shells to separate the yolk from the white -- it's a health department thing, lots of places won't do it for that reason.

Can you name any?

I call BS. Salmonella exists inside the egg. It still gets cooked. So does chicken. Do these places not cook chicken either?

Also, here you go: http://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/egg_products_and_food_safety/index.asp under
    "Why Are Egg Products Useful?".

I see a truth burn developing here...
  • drzira
    drzira Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I got an omelet at my work cafeteria for breakfast this morning. The cook used two half-cup-looking ladles of liquid egg. That works out to about 211 calories. I would bet your college cafeteria does about the same. Even if they gave you a whole ounce of feta, you're still in the 300 cal range for breakfast, which is really good.
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    Options
    I got an omelet at my work cafeteria for breakfast this morning. The cook used two half-cup-looking ladles of liquid egg. That works out to about 211 calories. I would bet your college cafeteria does about the same. Even if they gave you a whole ounce of feta, you're still in the 300 cal range for breakfast, which is really good.

You mean, they weren't cracking eggs as you ordered? SHOCKING.
  • jlapey
    jlapey Posts: 1,850 Member
    Options
    The problem with eggs is not fat or calories. People stopped eating the yolks because the yolk contains a lot of cholesterol. I recently read an article that said recent studies indicate that the cholesterol in food does not affect the cholesterol levels in the body the way it was originally thought to so EAT THE YOLK and enjoy it.

For info on eggs, check the site below.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Egg_Yolk.html
  • dave4d
    dave4d Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    . So i got a normal omelet with spinach feta and tomato. I didn't enjoy it as much because i love egg whites and the whole time i was eating it i just knew how fattening it was.

Also, how many calories do you think this was? I don't know what to log for MFP.

facepalm.jpg

couldn't of said it better myself.

calm down i am 19 i am not a pro at this

I'm pretty calm. I just think you should ASK not necessarily assume "OMG this is so bad." It's an egg, a NATURAL SOURCE OF PROTEIN, FAT, AND CALORIES. Yeah it has fat but fat is not bad and fat doesn't make you fat. In fact, a lack of fat will create a whole host of problems that you do NOT WANT to deal with--the production of many of the hormones in your body relies on fat. The fact that you were so preoccupied with the fact that you had whole eggs is a bit disconcerting. i suggest you educate yourself on nutrition and the need for not only fat but adequate calories. I am going to guess that you're probably also following a 1200 or fewer calorie diet. Is that correct?

Unfortunately there has been a lot of misinformation put out about eggs. I remember in the 80s the diet craze was "low fat", or "fat free". Even in the "Body for Life" book, much of his recommendation was to keep fats to a minimum; Although he did recommend getting 20 percent of calories from healthy fats. (Yolks do contain healthy fats, and a bunch of other nutrients that people didn't realize were in them 30 years ago.) I used to egg beaters, but didn't like the flavor, or texture very much. Then I changed to where I would eat about 4 egg whites, and 2 whole eggs for omelets, to give me the protein I thought I needed, and the yolks gave me the fats, flavor, and coloring that I wanted in the omelet. Now I just do 2 to 3 whole eggs.

If they are out of cartons of egg whites, it is really easy to remove the yolk, and make them yourself with whole eggs. That is what I do for recipes that call for egg whites only. It is also cheaper than buying a carton of egg whites.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    In the morning i usually will get an egg white omelet with spinach tomato and a little bit of feta cheese, but today they didn't have any egg whites.. So i got a normal omelet with spinach feta and tomato. I didn't enjoy it as much because i love egg whites and the whole time i was eating it i just knew how fattening it was. It was probably a 3 or 4 egg omelet. Did this hurt my diet? I really was craving an omelet which is why i got it regardless but I probably won't do it again.

Also, how many calories do you think this was? I don't know what to log for MFP.

I really have difficulty dealing with the "low fat" mentality. It really bugs me. The whole egg should be eaten. The whites and yolks go together as a whole food. The fat in egg yolks is HEALTHY, as are many fats that we have been led to believe are "bad". I see post after post of people who are hungry all the time and struggling with health and weight loss, and when one looks at the food diary- surprise, they are, of course, avoiding fat by adding in processed food, grains, artificial sweeteners, sugar etc. Eggs and their yolks are NOT fattening. The myth about only fat leading us to be fat has been shown false time and again.

Who is "they"? An omelet made at home is better and it can be made with two eggs easily. The restaurant can certainly tell you how many eggs were used.

Just in case you are wondering, I eat a high fat diet. I am having incredible success with weight loss, but most importantly, all of my health problems have vanished. ALL of them. Also, I am so satisfied and full from my food I actually find it hard to eat all my calories. Go figure.
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    It was probably a 3 or 4 egg omelet. Did this hurt my diet? I really was craving an omelet which is why i got it regardless but I probably won't do it again.

You log by entering the number of eggs, then since you watched them make it you have an idea of how much cheese and spinach they put in. Feta cheese is a lot of calories and if he used butter on the pan even worse. This is why it's better to make it at home for yourself.

i gave him the spinach and the feta cheese and i use the tiniest bit just to get a little extra taste. and i know the butter is bad but i am at college i can't do anything about that. it the only way i can have eggs and omelets in general

OMG. Butter is not "bad" either. BUT margarine is; many restaurants use margarine. Please, please stop the fat phobia insanity. Not only is avoiding fat bad for your health, it will actually impede your weight loss.
  • ar1ms
    ar1ms Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    Actually large cafeterias use cartons of egg whites -- separating yolk from white is something a lot of restaurants etc. won't do.

Seriously? Separating the white from the yolk takes an extra 3 seconds per egg. If you have trouble separating egg whites, you shouldn't be in the food industry.

How many times have you personally asked for an egg white omelet and been turned down because they "won't do that"?

don't even get me started! i hate the people at my cafeteria they suck.