PTs? People who have had PTs? People who would like a PT?

Hi,

I realize there is a chance of my getting ripped a new one here, but I'd like some honest feedback.

I am just starting out as a Personal Trainer, and trying to learn all I can. From reading the boards quite a bit as of late, I can see there are definitely a number of people who know a hell of a lot of stuff, and who have been through a hell of a lot.

If you are a PT, had a PT, have a PT, want a PT, want to be one, or even have any sort of (relatively) objectively formed opinion in regards to personal training, I would like to hear it. What makes a good PT? What makes you respond well to them? What is a huge no-no (please don't make this the bulk of the thread though! I know it is easy :) ) - What suggestions do you have?

I am looking to mainly train those new to a fitness program, older adults, etc. Generally people who are just starting out and want to have a comfortable atmosphere in which to create healthy habits, or people with limited mobility looking to increase their functional fitness.

I read a lot, I continue to learn- I know that's something that is never finished.

I want to be a great trainer. Any help would be appreciated :)

Replies

• vanillarama
    vanillarama Posts: 101 Member
    bump?
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    I like watching the PTs at the gym have the client balance on a ball, while holding dumbbells doing jumping jacks and other crazy exercises like that.
    It entertains me while I work out
  • I had my share of personal trainers and gained a lot of information but exericising and diets seem to change a lot, so I come here often for advice. Recently I had this great wellness/PT coach. First she worked out of her home, and not at a gym. She provided a few different options with bootcamp style. She really kicked my butt and loved it. She also provided/helped with my diary and changed a lot of it. She was quite reasonable too. The reason I'm not going to her right now is fiances (even with her reasonable prices). I think what makes a great PT is that you change it up a bit and not some borning routine you get at a gym. Anyone can learn stuff and go from there but it's those PT that really push you hard. It also helps that you are just not a client but a friend.
  • ummmmm... the PT caught my attention. PT is the professional abbreviation for Physical Therapist.
    Godd luck in your new venture.
  • californiagirl2012
    californiagirl2012 Posts: 2,625 Member
    We just had a couple walk into our gym where the husband paid thousands of dollars for a PT for the wife and they both were not happy. No results.

I achieved my goals without a PT --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

All you need is a calorie deficit and a good workout that involves weight training.

eat less to lose
    exercise to maintain or gain lean body mass.

The harder you workout the better you will look when the fat is gone. You will lose fat faster than you will build muscle especially if you are female.

Females need not be afraid to lift heavy. You will not build big muscles like a guy because you don't have the hormones for it. And if you don't want to look "ripped" just don't get as lean, the little bit of extra fat from not getting quite so lean will give you a nice tone softer look. You can have whatever you want.
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    I had a PT for a summer. Not the best experience. While she taught me a lot about weight lifting technique that I use now, I saw zero progress in those three months because she didn't emphasize nutrition enough in the beginning, didn't have me weigh in or take measurements regularly, and didn't adjust the program when we failed to see my body responding to it. On my own I learned I needed harder cardio and heavier weights; she just went too easy on me. My number one tip would be to always be ready to adjust if your supposedly tried-and-true method isn't working for one of your clients. Treat everyone as an individual, and don't be afraid to encourage them to go harder.
  • vanillarama
    I do try to keep an open mind, and I do feel nutrition is a big part of being healthy. Sounds like you got a bad deal there :/
  • vanillarama
    We just had a couple walk into our gym where the husband paid thousands of dollars for a PT for the wife and they both were not happy. No results.

I achieved my goals without a PT --> http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/740340-i-lost-60-lbs-at-age-51-anyone-can-any-workout

All you need is a calorie deficit and a good workout that involves weight training.

eat less to lose

The harder you workout the better you will look when the fat is gone. You will lose fat faster than you will build muscle especially if you are female.

Females need not be afraid to lift heavy. You will not build big muscles like a guy because you don't have the hormones for it. And if you don't want to look "ripped" just don't get as lean, the little bit of extra fat from not getting quite so lean will give you a nice tone softer look. You can have whatever you want.

Ok, that's really great, but not so helpful.
  • vanillarama
    I had my share of personal trainers and gained a lot of information but exericising and diets seem to change a lot, so I come here often for advice. Recently I had this great wellness/PT coach. First she worked out of her home, and not at a gym. She provided a few different options with bootcamp style. She really kicked my butt and loved it. She also provided/helped with my diary and changed a lot of it. She was quite reasonable too. The reason I'm not going to her right now is fiances (even with her reasonable prices). I think what makes a great PT is that you change it up a bit and not some borning routine you get at a gym. Anyone can learn stuff and go from there but it's those PT that really push you hard. It also helps that you are just not a client but a friend.

I definitely agree with a lot of that. I think that being a friend is important, but still maintaining a balance so that the client doesn't feel that they can distract with the friendship. I'm not sure I put that as clearly as I would like- but I see a lot of trainers at my gym spending their hour chatting about love lives and gossip and not getting much else done. If we can get our work done, then tell me anything you like :)

However, I am aware that with some older adults in particular this may also be a social event for them, so making it effective but social is important to me.
  • I'd like to get a PT...thought about it a lot actually. The weights at the gym are still a bit scary to me, and I'd like to learn. I work crazy hours, so I got to see him with various clients at various parts of the day.

Right now I feel like I need to be in better shape before I even consider signing up with him. Everyone he trains has the same basic workout - a lot of things I'd be concerned about, given my old injuries (I have bad knees, ankles and back from jumping out of a plane and landing wrong). I'd like a trainer who's willing to listen and modify their routine based on the client. I dont want to risk injuring myself doing something I'm not ready for.
  • smackadoodle
    smackadoodle Posts: 121 Member
    Know 3 things: 1. what is your client's goal (not yours for them)
    2. Be sure you have the knowledge to help that particular person with that particular body.
    As an older adult with heath issues it is vital my PT knows what moves not to push, and how to work the same muscles in other ways, better for my body.
    3. Encourage! For those without a long history of training, or recent training, encourage, encourage, encourage.
  • keenercam
    keenercam Posts: 321 Member
    I am working out with the third personal trainer that I've had in the past five years (the first one moved to a private gym and the second moved away). My current personal trainer is the best so far. When I tried to pinpoint what makes him different/the best, here are the highlights:

1. He understands my limitations (I've had 4 knee surgeries including a reconstruction and had a torn trapezius several years ago) and he has gradually helped me add exercises to strengthen those weaknesses. He has done this carefully and conscientiously so that I don't risk re-injury.

2. He watches every singe thing I do while we are working together and immediately corrects my form if necessary. Again, I appreciate this so that I don't risk injury and I don't create bad habits.

3. When we are working together, he is completely focused on our workout, not socializing with anyone walking by or working out in the vicinity.

4. At the beginning of every session, he asks if there is anything in particular I want to work on. I appreciate this respect, especially since I am often training for a half-marathon or will have a 5k coming up and may not want to overtax my legs.

5. Every workout is interesting. We don't do exactly the same workout twice.

6. He has introduced many new exercises, new equipment (kettlebells and TRX, for example), and new challenges. I've used equipment and the free weight area that I never would have gone near before. This has also given me credibility with the others working out in that area and everyone is friendly to me even if my PT isn't with me. I am convinced that a lot of this comes from their respect for him.

7. He pushes me to my limits (though he says I am one of his hardest working clients and that sometimes he has to hold me back because I don't always recognize my limits). When I thought I couldn't do pushups, he told me to try one. Now he won't let me do anything less than a full-out good form pushup. When I thought I could only plank for x number of seconds, he pushed me to stay at it and doubled my duration in one session.

8. He makes me sweat every session. I mean dripping wet, reaching for a towel, drinking lots of water, and feeling very accomplished because of it. He says never to apologize to a PT for sweating - that PTs love to see a client pushing that hard.

9. He tracks every single workout on a card that he keeps with him. He always tells me when I'm lifting heavier than I've done before or when I've done more reps than the last time. I appreciate that he keeps track so carefully.

10. Whenever he sees me at the gym, he says hello and then the next time we work out together, he'll make mention of what I was doing - how long were you on the elliptical, how was the reisistance, how did your knee feel, did you enjoy your rowing session, good job on planks the other day. Very encouraging.

11. He is encouraging, complimentary, assertive, and demanding. I call him "Killer Kyle" and he loves it.

I hope that isn't more information than you were looking for. I am convinced that a good PT can completely turn around a person's attitude about working out and can change a person's life. It's great that you want to know what makes a great PT, I wish you tremendous success in this venture.
  • ndblades
    ndblades Posts: 233 Member

eat less to lose

Wow this is great a great post -- and makes more sense than anything else I have seen here. Your body is proof!
  • I signed up for a once/month session with a trainer when I joined a gym. My primary reason is that I have never been in a gym outside of freshman year in high school. I have no idea what to do with the equipment, how to use all the assorted aids, how to exercise in a planned way in general.

In years past I've been a serious dancer, been involved in some intense horseback riding, lived semi-carless with a lot of commuter walking - and at the time those were fine without adding in some other work-outs. I'm totally lost in a gym or picking a workout program without someone to get me started, even though I know what it is like to be fitter and work hard.

I'll switch to a new trainer soon under my program, but I've been pleased so far - I get an encouraging "good to see you" or "nice job" when he walks by and I'm there on my own for motivation. And he's been good about figuring out what I want to accomplish and coming up with a routine I can use on my own.
  • vanillarama
    Thanks so much, all- I really appreciate it. Even the random post above does give me something to work with, that people spent thousands and that I need to bear the zillions of different types of people I have and will encounter in the gym.

A lot of this stuff may seem obvious to people reading this thread, but it is a nice place for me to look and see if I'm even on the right track, so if anyone else has any thoughts, please share them

Keenercam, That's great you're so satisfied with your trainer and that he is helping you achieve your goals. If I can get someone to think those things of my work, I'll be a very happy lady :)
  • vanillarama
    People are inspired by many different things- I guess the key is to listen, even when people are disagreeing with you. Maybe especially when they are disagreeing with you...
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Reiterating other points:

- LISTENS. Canned workouts suck
    - Knowledge/expertise around biomechanics/injuries/overuse issues
    - stays on top things; continually self-educates (but avoids fads & uses common sense)
    - superlative client service/rapport-building skills
    - I think an awareness of CBT principles could help re people who are very overweight, or who've been sedentary all their lives, or who have low self-esteem/self-efficacy, or use negative or catastrophic self-talk - the ability to motivate is important, as is being empathetic. I think some trainers who come from more of a performance background might miss this.
    - doesn't push sales/packages; willing to do one-off sessions to teach technique
    - oh yeah, for sure, focusses on the client. I had one once who spent most of my session flirting with other potential clients.

edit: maybe, if you`re working with an older/injured population: taking excellent histories - really probing around general health, medications, lifestyle, previous injuries, etc
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    One issue I'd look out for when choosing a PT is how they look. I want a PT who walks the walk so if I were looking to lose weight, I'd expect the PT to be lean. And if I were looking to bulk up, I'd not take a PT seriously if they were skinny. It's a bit like those rusty cars you see with "MAKE £1,000 A WEEK IN YOUR SPARE TIME!"... you can see it's not working for them!
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    I like my trainer for these reasons:

1) My programs constantly have new exercises or riffs on exercises I've done previously, while also including the basics: chest press, deadlifts, squats. My programs are always different and as a result, I don't get bored. He keeps track of my workouts for me, so he knows what I lifted last time and helps me progress as needed.

2) We rarely spend time isolating muscles. When we do curls, for instance, they're at the very end of the session when we have extra time or more often, they're added into other exercises (rear lunges with curl).

3) My programs are unique and tailored to me. He does not use a cookie-cutter program for each client he trains. If he did, I wouldn't consider it worth my money. He knows my goals and takes them into account when writing up a program.

4) He challenges me more than I would challenge myself, and because I have a trainer watching me the first time I feel comfortable taking risks and pushing hard.

5) He makes my programs something I can repeat easily on my own, since I only work out with him 1 out of every 6 strength training work outs (every other week I have a session).

6) He checks in with me, chats, etc between sessions too. I like having a friendly face in the gym, and he's always willing to let me bounce ideas off him or ask questions outside of sessions too (though I do not abuse this). I cannot overstate how helpful this has been in keeping me headed in the right direction.

7) During my session, he is paying attention to ME: watching form and correcting it when needed. Nothing I hate more than seeing other trainers chatting with each other while one of them is training a client.

8) He's entertaining enough that I don't get sick of spending an hour every other week with him. I work hard but genuinely enjoy each session.

9) He is a stickler about form, and therefore I'm now a stickler about form too.

10) My body is pretty awesome now, and it's not from cardio.

I don't think a trainer is necessary but it sure has been nice.
  • cwanek726
    cwanek726 Posts: 98 Member
    I've been working with a PT once a week for the last year and a half. Quite honestly, it's the best decision that I've ever made. I consider it to be both a valuable investment in myself and money well spent.

That being said, you can only make your client work out for the hour or 30 minutes that he or she has with you. I regularly talk to my trainer about what my goals are, what I'd like to be doing and what equipment I'd like to be using.

She does tend to get me doing things that initially are outside of my comfort zone, but I take those exercises and work them into my normal routines the other 3-4 days a week when I'm not working with her. This is extremely helpful, as some things I woulnd't have thought to do on my own.

Since I started working with a PT, I've lost roughly 35lbs and more than 60 inches. While the 35 lbs isn't terribly dramatic for a year and a half, I think the 60" speaks for itself.

EDIT - Forgot to add - my trainer competes in figure/bodybuilding competitions, and definitely looks like she should look to be taken seriously as a trainer.