What have you learned about yourself so far?

Options

Replies

• TonkaDanteFriend
    TonkaDanteFriend Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I've learned that healthy foods are actually ridiculously tasty and once you get all the bad crap out of your system, it just tastes strange when you go back to it.

Interestingly enough, I learned a bit about other people too. I was embarrassed to start at the gym at my biggest, especially weight training because I was literally limited to the 15lb dumbbells (I'm a 6'6" guy, tatted up). Instead of getting laughed at, the very first night a really fit guy came over really cordially and helped me with some tips on my form and has subsequently become my spotter these days.
  • rascallycat
    rascallycat Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I've learned that I am stronger than I thought and I LOVE lifting weights!
  • WABeachWalker
    WABeachWalker Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    I need to think/plan a couple of days ahead so that I know I will have healthy things around to choose from.

If I don't log my calories during the day, I develop a kind of "calorie amnesia" and will think I have eaten less.

Losing weight is not impossible (as I really believed at first!), but it is not easy, either. Mindset is 90% of my battle.

Those encouraging comments from my mfp friends mean lots more to me than I ever thought they could.:love:
  • RaeLB
    RaeLB Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    I have learned that what I perceived to be my limits were self-created and I can keep on pushing!
  • sarahg148
    sarahg148 Posts: 701 Member
    Options
    That I've been eating way more than I should or need, even though I get in lots of activity...doesn't give me free reign to eat a ton, especially if I'm trying to lose 20 lbs!!! :D

I actually went back a couple of months (74 days) and saw that HALF of that time was filled with days where I ate over 2300 calories...sometimes waaaaay over 2300. I'm not an indurance athlete so there's no WAY I need to eat that much. Really examining the WHYS of why I'm eating too much...especially in the evenings. Nights are my downfall.

So I've devised a new eating plan and giving it a FULL two months (74 days to be exact) Only this time, not going to eat over 2000 calories/day and have counted exercise into my activity level. If I get down to the low 160s...then I know what I have to do. Wish me luck!!! I'm on day 4...only 70 to go!
  • 18guyhornet
    18guyhornet Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    ^^^Good Luck!!!
  • GwennyH
    GwennyH Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    That I've been eating way more than I should or need, even though I get in lots of activity...doesn't give me free reign to eat a ton, especially if I'm trying to lose 20 lbs!!! :D

DITTO for me! And best of luck to you!
  • skinnydream115
    Options
    I have learned not to give a **** about what others think.. I go to the gym to workout yes Im not the most in shape person..duh thats why im there I use to only go early in the morning to avoid being seen.. RIDICULOUS RIGHT! and also no one really cares what you look like they care what they look like and are probably as self conscious as you.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    I have learnt that I am beautiful, no matter what size or weight I am.
    I have learnt that I need to love myself, or else how is anyone going to love me?
    And I have learnt that noone elses opinion about me matters but my own
  • bjean0
    bjean0 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    ive learned that i can suprise myself.
    ive learned that i am more capable of change than others think i am.
  • Flutetunes
    Flutetunes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I learned that my "I just don't have time to exercise" excuse was lame, since I have found the time to get all my homework done, practice the flute for at least 90 minutes a day, AND run every day. :)
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    I have learned there is no room for sympathy hounds and whiners in my life. They just drag you down to their level. I am so [positive now and have surrounded myself with positive people it's great!
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I've learned that my body is capable of so much more than my mind realized!
  • kenazfehu
    kenazfehu Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    I've learned that I was in control all along, even when I was stuffing myself like a T'giving turkey. The point then was to make myself miserable so that I had to focus on dealing with that and not the problems and lacks in my life. The point now is to make myself proud and face all else with courage and conviction.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I learned fear of success, fear of being "hot" (aka being noticed) and fear of pushing myself were all holding me back.

Have to break down the emotional barriers!
  • trojanbb
    trojanbb Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    That I am extremely narcissistic, vain, I have body issues, and I dig attention. Oh and I want to be HUGE......and that I am 100% fine with all of this.
  • Xstitcher74
    Xstitcher74 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have learned that the voice in my head telling me I could never eat healthy, lift weights and lose weight was a LIAR.
  • Pinkigloopyxie
    Options
    I learned I can be one of those people who can eat healthy foods and junk food every day and still lose weight.

And apparently I'm going to be rather bony. Riding bikes, 45lbs to go, ouch! Need to build up callouses on my butt or something.

Also I have crazy smile lines. At least three layers going on.
  • bulbadoof
    bulbadoof Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    I learned that things are only as hard as I make them, that I adapt well to change despite how hesitant I am to embrace it, and that I actually really like shopping when I can fit into clothes.
  • tlsegar
    tlsegar Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have learned that I actually do like exercise. I started practicing yoga earlier this and I continue to be amazed at what I am capable of doing. I got such an adrenaline rush when I attempted a handstand last night. It wasn't perfect and probably doesn't even count as an actual handstand. But I tried it, and I didn't die. And it just gave me more confidence to push myself even further the next time. I can't wait to try it in class again next week. If you would have told me a year and a half ago that I would be this pumped about physical activity I would have literally rolled on the floor and laughed hysterically.