Couch to 5K September start!

Options
13»

Replies

• LosinItAll2012
    LosinItAll2012 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I started last night...using my treadmill!! Bring on day two tonight!!!
  • Mickey229
    Options
    Hey, just got caught up with all the posts, and realized i use <b>RUNDOUBLE</b> not RunKeeper... sorry!
    I'm excited for today: week 3 day 1! it changes it up a bit, and i like that! I hope to run outside today, otherwise i will be on my tread, either way, i will let ya know how all goes!

Run on! :)
  • nellyett
    nellyett Posts: 436 Member
    Options
    I LOVE that program!! I can't say enough about it! I could barely keep up with the minute intervals in the beginning and couldn't wait for the lady to come on and tell me to slow down, but now I'm running the 28 mins straight no problem! I'm on week 8.

Just a couple of words of advice / encouragement....don't be afraid to redo a week if you feel you're not ready to move on. You don't have to complete it in the 9 weeks. Also, you may encounter a 'bad' run here or there, and feel like you've had a setback.

Don't despair!! I had that happen 2 runs in a row, thought that was as good as I would ever get, and took a couple days off for a break (I was running almost everyday since I started to love it so much!) After a couple days' break, I went out and had an AWESOME run! Went longer and easier than ever before. It was exhilerating!!

I used to see people out running and feel so envious, wishing I could do that too. Well, thanks to the C25K program, I too am now a 'runner'!!

Good luck!
  • Nappers701
    Options
    I have been doing the C25K for a few months. I finished and now I go back and forth between weeks 6-8. I am going to try the C210K. Never heard of it until now. Thanks
  • ahamamoto
    ahamamoto Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am actually starting this program today and a little nervous! I have a physical for a job on November 28th, and I have to run 1.5 miles in 18:16.... I am really hoping this program helps me! I am not a natural runner, so I am crossing my fingers :-)
  • Clarissia_Nicole
    Clarissia_Nicole Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    For those of you who have been doing the program, how often do you do it? I jumped right into W5D1 yesterday. I know it's reccomended that you go start to finish, but I want to complete the program in time to do my first 5K at the end of October :) I can already jog 1 mile+. I felt comfortable starting at that level. But now I'm wondering, should I take breaks between my runs and just do 3/wk? Or do you do them more often?
  • Linzisueboo
    Linzisueboo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started couch to 5k and tomorrow will be day 2 of week 2, I find it quite challenging but I actually enjoy it. I'm going to sign up to do my first 5k in February, I want to work my way up to do trailblazer race next summer which is 10k, am I being over ambitious?
  • pixelberry
    pixelberry Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Just finished up Week 2, Day 2 today. Sent you a request.

Anyone else, feel free to add me, the more the merrier (and the more accountability to get off my butt and get out there and move it!!!)
  • Mickey229
    Options
    YEA! look at all the support! i'm lovin' it! :flowerforyou:
  • cncrafton
    cncrafton Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I decided on a whim to start C25K today. I made it (toward the end, I had to run for 30 seconds and then do a speedy walk for the other 30), but I am already feeling tenderness in my knees and ankles. I was very worried that running would be hell on my joints because of my weight, so I'm nervous. :( Is first day soreness any indication of future problems?
  • dorybaby
    dorybaby Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Starting the program tomorrow. So excited. :)
  • Mickey229
    Options
    Finished my week 3/day 1! much easier that i had built it up to be in my head... i was running on my treadmill, and i rather run outside... for some reason i feel like i push myself more outside.
    Tomorrow will do it all over again!
  • Mickey229
    Options
    I decided on a whim to start C25K today. I made it (toward the end, I had to run for 30 seconds and then do a speedy walk for the other 30), but I am already feeling tenderness in my knees and ankles. I was very worried that running would be hell on my joints because of my weight, so I'm nervous. :( Is first day soreness any indication of future problems?

Do you have good shoes? making sure your shoes are supportive is really key, and also, don't sweat it if you walk part of your run, you are actually getting moving! so don't get down on yourself, you are doing great!
    my first week i was a bit sore, but i was also running with old shoes... got new shoes for over-pronating, and my knees don't feel sore at all.
    Make sure you stretch too... I am sure you are, but it's so important. WAY TO GO!
  • cncrafton
    cncrafton Posts: 82 Member
    Options

Do you have good shoes? making sure your shoes are supportive is really key, and also, don't sweat it if you walk part of your run, you are actually getting moving! so don't get down on yourself, you are doing great!
    my first week i was a bit sore, but i was also running with old shoes... got new shoes for over-pronating, and my knees don't feel sore at all.
    Make sure you stretch too... I am sure you are, but it's so important. WAY TO GO!

My shoes are okay - probably half a size too small. I get paid here in a few days and hope to maybe go to a running store and see if they can fit me for a pair.

My soreness did not carry into the next day, so I am feeling a lot better, and I'm ready to start Week 1, Day 2 today! :)
  • cinhei
    cinhei Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just completed Week 5 Day 2 and am really feeling it. Day 3 consists of a 20 min run and I don't think I can do it. I was really huffing and puffing after only 8 mins so I really don't know how I could possibly complete 20 mins nonstop. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to make it through the 20 mins? Thanks!
  • Inc1961
    Inc1961 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I will attempt Wk4 D1 tomorrow. I started ok with Wk 1 and 2. Knees hurt through Wk 3. Tried Wk 4 and nearly keeled over!!
    Took a week off to let the knees heel a bit. Redid Wk3 - knees ok but I don't feel very good about it.

But onto Wk 4 tomorrow!! I'd be happy to support others :)

Happy running!!
  • Inc1961
    Options
    cinhei I was told that if it is very hard perhaps I am trying to go too fast. I didn't believe this but I do know that when my knees were sore and I could barely take steps I "ran" very slowly. I felt I could run forever!!!

Now not so much. I redid Wk 3 as I took a week off to let my knees heel. This time around I pushed the pace (or so I thought) but it is only a few seconds quicker! I am feel like I've hit a wall and can't go further.

Wk4 starts tomorrow with a longer run. Think I will take it easy tomorrow a jog slowly to complete the minutes needed and maybe pick up the pace during the week??

Anyway, try slowing down....
  • Inc1961
    Options
    https://www.facebook.com/rundouble?fref=ts

Rundouble's Facebook page has a picture. It's my new mantra.

"No matter how slow I go, I am still lapping everybody on the couch!"

:blushing: