Where did YOU get your wedding dress?

Options

Replies

• nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    8028614173_b3e8984520.jpg

I got mine from a department store. It was my 2nd wedding, and we decided we didn't want to go into debt to get married.

Not a great photo, but it's the only full length shot I have access to at work.

I thought I'd be able to wear it again, but I've lost enough weight for it not to fit well anymore.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    My gown was my "something borrowed," if you go by superstitions. ("Something old, something new, something borrowed, something blue.") I fell in love my mom's dress and nothing else would do. :smile:
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Mine was a bridesmaid's dress (second wedding, so I didn't want white).
    It was a gorgeous dress and much cheaper than wedding dresses. If you aren't after a conventional white dress, then looking at evening dresses or bridesmaid's dresses can save you a heap of money.
  • Molly_Maguire
    Molly_Maguire Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    I got mine from a local chain, I think it was called AZ bridal, or something. It was $700 I think, plus another $200-$300 for some sleeves to be built, alterations and hemming.

Edited to add: I had two dresses, the reception dress and the ceremony dress. The above dress was my reception dress, the dress I actually got married in was my grandmother's, who was married in 1950.
  • rnhoppe
    rnhoppe Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I got mine at dress barn for 60 bucks! It was more of a sundress...we had a camping wedding!
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Firstly, congrats!

I'm not married (or engaged even) yet. So I can't really help you out.

But if you're looking for something cheaper - you could always try a second hand dress place (thank you Don't Tell The Bride :P)? Just make sure that there aren't sweat stains on it (gross!)
  • kaajay
    kaajay Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I bought my dress through netbride.com

Their prices are very good (usually right at MSRP). I tried on my dress (tried on several dresses at a boutique and at David's -- sorry I didn't like any at David's). Of course the prices the boutique quoted was hundreds of dollars more than what I was quoted at netbride.com (yes I checked several locations). I also had my bridesmaid purchase their dresses thru netbride.com. The dress they had was at least $100 less at netbride.com than at other stores.

I'm really excited about my upcoming wedding :) The only thing is I need a bra. Boo. :D
  • Shelgirl001
    Shelgirl001 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Both wedding dresses (I married 2 different times) I designed, and my Mom made for me. I like to design formal dresses. It's a great thing to do. I also did this for my prom dresses. It helps to use patterns and put them together to make the dress my own. I also add in parts I want to have or change the shape of premade ones. Personalization is a great thing in formal dresses. :)
  • Dawners98
    Dawners98 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I got mine from David's Bridal (chain store in the U.S. if you're not from there) and it was $450 I think. Plus another $150 or so for alterations. I hope never to fit into that dress again. I keep telling my husband I get a new wedding for our 5 year anniversary. Nothing fancy, I'm in it for the new wedding pics! :)

uwxvs.jpg
  • EmmaJean7
    EmmaJean7 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I got my dream dress from Davids Bridal! It was $450.. Which is ok considering how expensive they can get up to!!
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I bought mine on St Hubert, which is a crazy one stop wedding shopping street in Montreal. I spent a little over $1000, then $100 on alterations. I bought my MOH dress for my sister's wedding off lightinthebox and was really impressed with the quality.
  • musicalityphan
    Options
    I actually had mine knocked off in China! It was very affordable (I think around $200 or so before alterations, which I had done here in the states), and looked fantastic. As long as you're not dying for fine silks, you can find some beautiful dresses from some Chinese companies, you just have to be willing to deal with non-English-speaking customer service folks. I mean, they speak English, but it's definitely not their first language. I went through Kaersen Bridal [www.kaersen.com], but I think they're operating as O-brides now, at www.obrides.com.

281800_10150708798040237_7258364_n.jpg

Also, the dress was full floor-length when I bought it from China. The woman who I had do the alterations didn't shorten it quite the way I asked her to, which is why the very hem looks a little wonky. It was great when it arrived full-length. =D
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    Anderson's Bride
  • Wrreck
    Wrreck Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Mine was free and it's still in my closet after 23 years of marriage on the 29th of this month. We got married outdoors and I wanted to wear a short dress. At the time, my youngest sister offered up her most recent prom dress so I accepted her offer and wore it. I'm suprised at how well it has held up since it is a lace shift dress.
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    I wore my HS prom dress (that I went to stag) for my wedding dress (3 years later.) But I'm just Klassy like that. Yes, Klassy - with a K. I got it at the mall, LOL and it was like $27 I think. White lace, because, you know, I am a child of the early-Madonna era.
  • musicalityphan
    Options
    I bought mine on St Hubert, which is a crazy one stop wedding shopping street in Montreal. I spent a little over $1000, then $100 on alterations. I bought my MOH dress for my sister's wedding off lightinthebox and was really impressed with the quality.

lightinthebox is another great Chinese dress site that I forgot to mention! =)
  • munchkinhugs
    munchkinhugs Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I actually had mine knocked off in china! It was very affordable (I think around $200 or so before alterations, which I had done here in the states), and looked fantastic. As long as you're not dying for fine silks, you can find some beautiful dresses from some Chinese companies, you just have to be willing to deal with non-English-speaking customer service folks. I mean, they speak English, but it's definitely not their first language. I went through Kaersen Bridal [www.kaersen.com], but I think they're operating as O-brides now, at www.obrides.com.

281800_10150708798040237_7258364_n.jpg

I LOVE THAT DRESS // SHOOT!

Plus, the red Converse and shirt = love!

I'll be wearing red on my wedding day. No whites.
  • ctgirlscout
    ctgirlscout Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    well 17 years ago got mine at JcPenney outlet I want to say it was about 100. Lots of beads and lace still very pretty, but I mainly picked it for not needing to be altered at 5'2'' that means something :)

I also got mine at JCPenney. They used to have a bridal salon (I got married in 1985). It was a beautiful designer gown that only cost $300. My daughter wants to wear it when she gets married.
  • LJCannon
    LJCannon Posts: 3,636 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I bought mine - a Traditional White Gown with lots of Ruffles and Lace - from the Lady who owned the Gas Station we used the most. I think I paid less than $50 for it, Not sure.
    If I were doing it today, I would check Thrift Stores in "Nice" Neighborhoods as well as Good Will . Some of those dresses have NEVER Even Been Worn!!
  • Melolicious
    Melolicious Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    A lot of the consignment stores are selling sample dresses as well, probably more samples than previously wed dresses. A sample dress is about a quarter of it's retail price. A bargain without worrying if it's cursed :) I paid $800 for a dress that retailed for $4500.