Starvation Mode!!!!!!!!Confusion confusion

Options
zd04
zd04 Posts: 1,160 Member
Hey Friends,
Now-a-days I'm having calories less than 1200.
My daily goal is to have 1200 calories.
And now-a-day I didn't work out or exercise!!!!!
So I'm confused that is this okay????
Will I be able to lose weight or will slip into starvation mode and instead of losing weight start gaining weight???
:indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :frown: :frown: :frown:

Replies

• chinatbag
    chinatbag Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode takes a long time. You have to already be emaciated or already be starving for a few days. You won't go into starvation mode. You'll know if you do - you'll start having diarrhea and stomach cramps a lot.
  • mrscorbo23
    Options
    u took the words right out of my mouth. i cant seem to get to 1200 calories a day i am always at least 200 short. am i going to start gaining weight too?
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode, in this context is an utter myth. You will not "hold onto calories" and gain fat while eating at a caloric deficit. Banish the term from your vocabulary.......
  • DaniKenmir
    DaniKenmir Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    I love food, I eat my 1200 and exercise (eating back most of those calories too) When I started I was eating well under my 1200 I wasn't losing weigh as quickly as I am now, I dunno why it took so long but it's nice to see things change.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Starvation mode takes a long time. You have to already be emaciated or already be starving for a few days. You won't go into starvation mode. You'll know if you do - you'll start having diarrhea and stomach cramps a lot.

nope, just plain not true. C'mon China, you know better than to perpetuate this rubbish.
  • SHBoss1673
    Options
    Starvation mode, in this context is an utter myth. You will not "hold onto calories" and gain fat while eating at a caloric deficit. Banish the term from your vocabulary.......

I consider myself an advocate for informed fact and truth. Please back up this kind of statement with fact. Just because you can't disprove a negative, doesn't make it a truth.
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    Depends on what your height and weight are. 1,200 seems kind of low. I recommend Forks over Knives.......great book/movie about eating and lifestyle changes.
  • sgarrard01
    sgarrard01 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Why not do your own research!??.... Starvation mode is not a myth!

What your refering to as 'gaining weight' is actually a plateu in weightloss, where your body's just a little too stressed and you need to change things up a little, your body will slow down metabolic processes and retain water to ease the tension and push more energy into long term storage...

Starvation mode is nothing to do with being hungry, gaining weight or anything like that......it's to do with muscle loss! where your body is getting so few calories it needs some more from somewehre and instead of using fat (which we all want and the point of a 'diet') it uses muscle, organs and the like because it's easyer!... so your great 10lbs of loss may be 6lbs muscle 4lb fat instead of 1lb muscle 9lb fat.... why is this bad??? Well fat uses 0kcal per pound per day..... muscle uses 30-50kcal per lb per day! just having it... it propps up your metabolism! This is why some body builders can happily eat 3-4000kcal just to maintain!

Muscle is your friend... i suggest you do your research!
  • Khymera
    Options
    WebMD is vehemently opposed to fasting and advocates that dieters eat a MINIMUM of 1200 calories per day. What we call "starvation mode", WebMD calls "conservation mode" and says that it can start in less than a week.

The worst part about it is that you're more likely to lose muscle on a very low calorie diet, and that whatever weight you gain back is likely to be all fat, which will leave you worse off than before!
  • Erisad
    Erisad Posts: 1,580
    Options

I dunno, I lost 8 pounds eating at 1700, I dropped to 1680 and I gained .4 so far this month. I'm not even eating that many unhealthy foods. Some days I don't even make it to 1680 and have more than 400 calories leftover. By this logic I should have lost more this month right? :/
  • peuglow
    peuglow Posts: 684 Member
    Options
    This
  • dsckrc
    dsckrc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    "oh i can't eat 1200 calories a day" boo, hoo, hoo. EAT! :mad:
  • drmerc
    drmerc Posts: 2,603 Member
    Options
    This

tumblr_ma3yp4O9Xd1qe2uwg.gif
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Hey Friends,
    Now-a-days I'm having calories less than 1200.
    My daily goal is to have 1200 calories.
    And now-a-day I didn't work out or exercise!!!!!
    So I'm confused that is this okay????
    Will I be able to lose weight or will slip into starvation mode and instead of losing weight start gaining weight???
    :indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent: :frown: :frown: :frown:

Lets touch on the whole 1k calories thing.....

The 4 major biological functions of fat tissue are
    (1) energy storage
    (2) toxin storage
    (3) protection against insulin resistance, and
    (4) protection against estrogen decline in women.
    Eliminate the functions of fat tissue also eliminates the reasons for its existence.

On what planet will your body not have a reason to maintain or accumulate fat when you eat your next large meal?
    Sure at 1k youll lose weight but as soon as you eat a sizable meal or eat closer to your lowered TDEE youll probably gain fat.
    This eating plan of 1200 or less is pure folly.
  • RayRay1500
    RayRay1500 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I eat 1200 calories, lose my weight each week, and feel great! If you want to eat more, good for you, but do not knock people for eating 1200 when that is what MFP suggested and my MD.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options

I consider myself an advocate for informed fact and truth. Please back up this kind of statement with fact. Just because you can't disprove a negative, doesn't make it a truth.

Actually, on another thread I asked for a citation backing up a positive assertion you made about your body being "in full panic" mode.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/710742--starvation-mode-exercise-calories-dillema

One should be able to prove a positive assertion.

My backup is simple, it's called physics. As much as we all like to think we're completely individual the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics applies to us all. The notion that your body can store energy while you're consuming less than you expend is completely illogical. Fat storage is a survival mechanism that allowed us as a species to survive periods of famine, we become fat (in the absence of a metabolic disorder or medications that have an impact on metabolism)because we eat more calories than we expend - it's not complicated.
    I dunno, I lost 8 pounds eating at 1700, I dropped to 1680 and I gained .4 so far this month. I'm not even eating that many unhealthy foods. Some days I don't even make it to 1680 and have more than 400 calories leftover. By this logic I should have lost more this month right? :/

Considering that nutrition information labels can be up to + or - 20% in relation the actual calories contained in a serving and fresh fruits and vegetables vary in size I wouldn't rely to much on the accuracy of a 20cal variance. And a 6 oz fluctuation in weight? :huh:
  • fit4lifeUcan2
    fit4lifeUcan2 Posts: 1,458 Member
    Options
    This!!!!
  • SHBoss1673
    Options

Actually, on another thread I asked for a citation backing up a positive assertion you made about your body being "in full panic" mode.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/710742--starvation-mode-exercise-calories-dillema

One should be able to prove a positive assertion.

My backup is simple, it's called physics. As much as we all like to think we're completely individual the 2nd Law of Thermodynamics applies to us all. The notion that your body can store energy while you're consuming less than you expend is completely illogical. Fat storage is a survival mechanism that allowed us as a species to survive periods of famine, we become fat (in the absence of a metabolic disorder or medications that have an impact on metabolism)because we eat more calories than we expend - it's not complicated.

Considering that nutrition information labels can be up to + or - 20% in relation the actual calories contained in a serving and fresh fruits and vegetables vary in size I wouldn't rely to much on the accuracy of a 20cal variance. And a 6 oz fluctuation in weight? :huh:

and yet, I've already replied to you, you couldn't even take the time to look through that other post where I already posted my links and resources. You just don't want to read them. and you keep talking about the 2nd law of thermodynamics, I'm quite familiar with it, of course that only applies if you don't enough total energy. Which the human body does, it has nothing to do with whether we have or don't have enough, it's whether the body wants to use one form of energy over another based on homeostasis, that is what governs whether fat stores are used over other energy sources (I.E. LBM and protein sources mostly).
  • CraigKirkland
    Options
    it is about a week which is why you should eat enough to match your BMR once a week. This keeps your body from slowing down the metabolism to match caloric intake. If you go on such caloric deficits without resistance training, your metabolism will slow anyway because of muscle loss.