Where did YOU get your wedding dress?

Options

Replies

• BenderFitness
    Options
    My gown was by Sophia Tolli, and I absolutely LOVED it, and got a million compliments on how unique it was. :) Congrats on your wedding! Do you have a style in mind?
  • I_wanna_live
    I_wanna_live Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    from a bacon flavored Cracker Jack box, Just kidding... it was really from McDonald's in a happy meal. :tongue:

Sorry, couldn't help but crashing in... leaving now
  • DeniseBromley
    DeniseBromley Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    My mom made mine by hand...sorry I can't be of much help.
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    When my son married last December, his future wife found her dress online at David's Bridal, for $99 and it looked like it was made to fit her right out of the box.
  • becs_91
    becs_91 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I actually just ordered mine last month! I had shopped around a few places in the DC area (one of which was $3k and up ONLY, yikes! definitely wouldn't have even bothered had I known that).

I ended up getting mine from a small-ish but lovely boutique just outside of DC called Love Couture Bridal. My gown was $1600, which is a STEAL in my opinion. Obviously a splurge but I really expected much more - I had total reverse sticker shock! Tried on the dress, dreaded looking at the price, and couldn't believe it. Compared to the quality/prices of other ones I tried (and I tried a lot lol), I was blown away. I mean, it's LACE, for god's sake!

Here it is! Can't wait to wear it in July!

photo_zpsd6068016.jpg

Omg, the lace. :love: I am so obsessed.

Of course, I ordered it based on my measurements at the time, sooo I'm hoping it has to be taken in quite a bit by the time it comes in :wink:
  • becs_91
    Options
    I actually had mine knocked off in China! It was very affordable (I think around $200 or so before alterations, which I had done here in the states), and looked fantastic. As long as you're not dying for fine silks, you can find some beautiful dresses from some Chinese companies, you just have to be willing to deal with non-English-speaking customer service folks. I mean, they speak English, but it's definitely not their first language. I went through Kaersen Bridal [www.kaersen.com], but I think they're operating as O-brides now, at www.obrides.com.

281800_10150708798040237_7258364_n.jpg

Also, the dress was full floor-length when I bought it from China. The woman who I had do the alterations didn't shorten it quite the way I asked her to, which is why the very hem looks a little wonky. It was great when it arrived full-length. =D

What a beautiful skirt! I've never seen anything quite like it, it's incredible :smile:
  • TheFitHooker
    TheFitHooker Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    Motherhood! ROFL! I know how sad, we eloped when I was a 5 1/2 months pregnant, we were engaged before I knew I was pregnant. Been married 9yrs.
  • geonbaeLeilee
    geonbaeLeilee Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I got mine at David's Bridal. It was $925, but I had almost $300 in alterations done to customize it. I ended up trying on over 50 gowns. I wanted something that covered my arms and shoulders.

Pics:

29711_825052061985_7498855_n.jpg

44812_851989698745_2871364_n.jpg

I had the outer jacket removed after the wedding and short sleeves that buttoned into the gown to keep my shoulders covered.

45432_851989768605_1316507_n.jpg

Your sleeved dress is very similar to the one I wanted!
  • Justkeepswimmin
    Justkeepswimmin Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Demetrios, lower end at $1500 but worth every darn penny (pic in profile of wedding day)

$150, $1500 or $15000 make sure you love it! What could be cool is a vintage shop.

Person with the 'wonky' hem from china I LOVE YOUR DRESS - go to where she got hers if you want to spend less :)
  • becs_91
    Options
    Demetrios, lower end at $1500 but worth every darn penny (pic in profile of wedding day)

$150, $1500 or $15000 make sure you love it! What could be cool is a vintage shop.

Person with the 'wonky' hem from china I LOVE YOUR DRESS - go to where she got hers if you want to spend less :)

I tried on some Demetrios gowns, loved them!

Btw if anyone is looking for that $1500ish price range but super high quality (similar to Demetrios) - mine was Blue by Enzoani, which is Enzoani's less expensive line but still very comparable quality.
  • jamers3111
    jamers3111 Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Congrats!!! I plan on only getting married once (tying the knot in 2 weeks!!) so I went all out. I went to a boutique downtown and bought a Jim Hjelm gown that I am in love with! My budget was $3,000 and I stayed within that. You should order soon!! It usually takes some time for the dress to come... and if you're unlucky like me than it may even come in WRONG :( Stupid Jim Hjelm... I say splurge, but DON'T get a Jim Hjelm! haha
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options
    I'm from Nova Scotia.. we drove down to Maine to check out David's Bridal.

For $400, I got my dress, shoes, crinoline and bra. In and out in an hour!! ahah I tried on 3 dresses, and fell in love with the 2nd one. The consultant was amazing, very sweet, and she mailed me a card for my wedding!!! Her name was Teal. hehe

Congrats on the upcoming marriage!! It's so much fun!
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    David's Bridal. I had a beach wedding so wanted simple and flowy. Think it was around $350.
  • icyeyes317
    icyeyes317 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I bought mine from JCPenny's. I think it was around $100. But, it is blue. Atlantic Blue, to be exact, and it is ironically funny, because my husband is a Submariner in the Navy, and we got married on a boat...of course in the Atlantic. =0)

I will post a pic once I figure out how....
  • MCproptart
    MCproptart Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Another David's Bridal here.

First I looked at lots and lots of dresses online. Then I saw an online special at DB -- it was essentially a bridesmaid dress style but in white or ivory. I went to my local store, tried on a bunch of dresses (including the one with the jacket that someone posted here--LOVED but was afraid I'd be to hot outdoors in September), and figured out my "wedding dress size" based on the bridesmaid dress. Clickity click online and I had my dress. Thankfully I didn't need alterations.

I don't know how to post pics in here or I'd share.

My veil was a custom order from Honeycomb Veils (I think she's on etsy). Ivory with iridescent butterflies. It cost as much as the dress, but it is something I hope to pass on one day (I hope my nieces never need a size 20 wedding dress).

Good luck in your search!

Oh, there's also Rivendale bride if you like celtic/faerie type dresses. :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    JC Penney's for $100.

Neither my folks nor I could afford a traditional wedding gown, there's no shop that would have a gown in my size (24W) anywhere close to my home town, and I despise white/ivory/beige/etc.. I wore a blue skirt with a blue flowered blouse.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I got mine at bridal mart in burlington north carolina. http://www.bridalmart.com/

We also got our brides maids dresses through there, they cost about half the price of the boutique for the same exact dresses. I paid $850 for my dress. I tried on $5000 - $7000 Vera Wang dresses and other higher priced designers and just bought mine at a place called bridal mart for $850.

1.jpg

2.jpg
  • leannems
    leannems Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    I wanted a very vintage vibe to my dress and was having a hard time finding anything I liked in the stores that was also in my size. It wasn't until I went bridesmaids dress shopping for a wedding that I was in that I saw they had a lot of cute bridesmaids dresses (in all colors - even white) that fit the bill. And of course bridesmaids dresses come in all sizes. I had it custom fit after it came in and it was beautiful.

They don't make the dress in white anymore, but this is the one I got. http://www.dessy.com/dresses/bridesmaid/2762/#.UGRJHU2HKqg

It cost somewhere in the $200-$250 range, and then $30 to have it fitted. My dress budget was significantly higher than that, so I ended up getting a second party dress to change into for part of the wedding festivities.

That company still has a lot of other dresses in white, and most bridal retailers can order it for you.
  • Montegue42
    Options
    I got mine at a boutique in Milwaukee, WI. Its Alyne and it is gorgeous...but I got it way to early. I wasn't planning on buying a dress that day (or a dress as expensive as it was at $1500), but my mother-in-law said that it probably would never be beat and I loved it....so she paid cash and we took the floor sample right out of the store! Only tried on four dresses total...only two before the one I chose.
  • Hotanuri
    Options
    David's Bridal. My dress was originally over $1200, but it was half off because it was discontinued/out of season. Then I got an additional 50% off because of the sale going on that day. So I got a $1200 dress for $300 :D