Where did YOU get your wedding dress?

Options

Replies

• TLEIGH33777
    TLEIGH33777 Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I got mine at Davids Bridal, The dress was great. The alterations were terrible!
  • feather314
    Options
    I got mine at a local boutique (Maryland). and padi $1,000 - 8 years ago. It was a Maggie Sottero in antique gold. Gorgeous color and looked fabulous with my skin tone. Loved it and still love it.
  • Deluxe97
    Deluxe97 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I had a small wedding in a public park, so my dress was a little more casual and tea length. I got it for $50 on clearance at White House Black Market and didn't need to get any alterations. So glad our day was debt-free ♥
  • zeebruhgirl
    zeebruhgirl Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    All of you who have posted pics have stunning dresses! I'm hoping I can find something cheap and adorable like you guys!
  • erinfog
    erinfog Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Jenny Yoo

http://www.jennyyoo.com/wedding_alternatives23.html

It was really simple and pretty.
  • sportyredhead01
    sportyredhead01 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Peebles Department Store.
    $49.99
    It was black and green.

Yes, I'm like the anti-bride. No bouquet, nothing fancy, only 7 people saw us get married.
    To be fair we had both finally gotten back working after lay-offs so we had to be cheap..I mean frugal.
    Our whole ceremony was like $300...but still got the job done. :tongue:

Only regret is I didn't have the funds for a professional photographer.
  • brenbell
    brenbell Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My firrst one. 30 years ago, was off a rack at Rikes department store. I paid $150. My second, and last, one was rented for $250. My daughters, 5 years ago, we bought at a garage sale for $25 had it cleaned and did some additions to it total cost $250. My niece is getting married in Oct she bought her's on ebay for $49 and had some alterations total cost $74.
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    I got mine at an outlet store for $200. I'm glad I didn't spend a fortune on it. Your only going to wear it once anyway. My sisters spent a whole lot more on theirs. They had them professionally cleaned and packaged in those cute boxes. But when they opened them years later they were stained and useless. I would rather be enjoying the party than worrying about my dress.

I enjoyed every minute of the party. Heck, I was even in the ocean before my reception. (see my avatar).

We didn't go all out on the wedding, we chose to spend money in certain places, good food, good wine and a good photographer. I also decided that I wanted a dress I loved. My parents ended up buying it for me as a gift anyway, but it was $1200 at a local shop. Ella Rosa BE96.
    I am still deciding what I am going to do with it, save it, donate it whatever.
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I had a really hard time with my wedding. Like most people, I'd never had one. But I was also contending with 2 factors.
    I had no family, just my kids, and my husband's family is Southern baptist, VERY religious family. Totally dry wedding. Which was ok with me, back then, I didn't drink hardly at all. Now? I would have a hard time with that!

I was not a girly girl, I was a jeans and t'shirt, maybe A cute blouse or two. Style was not my forte. So I called on my friends to help me browse a wedding dress that would look good on me and I found a style I LOEVD. So, the next step was finding "IT" I happened to have some time to kill and decided to go to Phipps Plaza. Only thee most expensive mall in all of Atlanata. I saw they had a wedding store and decided to brows. I really had no idea that people weren't kidding when they said it was expensive.
    It was about 2 on a weekday so the whole mall was dead. The 2 ladies dragged me in, pretty much interrogated me on my whole wedding and decided they did NOT like my choice of style.
    "how about you let us pick out a few things to try on?" I said ok, they disappear in the back, while I look at veils.
    Three. Thousand. Dollars. For an effing VEIL. I about crapped my pants. There was no way I could even afford a $3,000 dress!

So they made me try on 3 dresses and I fell in love with one style that was completely opposite of what I would even think about trying on. And I left as quickly as possible and said thanks.

SO I refound my style, but still had no idea where to look. I heard nightmare about David's bridal and was still pretty much freaked out about finding a dress. My husband's co-worker knew of several places and offered to take me.
    After looking at literally over 100 dresses and at the 3rd store, we found thee perfect dress. Although it was in a size 12 and I was a size 3, I still tried it on. It probably weighed as much as I did, it was so big. When I took it off, it literally stood on it's own! The dress ended up costing about 300 with about 50 in alterations.

This is what I ended up with;
    1317124357_55eed54b34.jpg

8029977322_01d16e84e6_z.jpg

The pearls matched, but the fabric was a bit shiny with a flash, I wouldn't have gone with pearls if I had known this!
    Good luck with planning. Theknot.com was a wonderful resource, but the message board is HELL unless you're on your local chatboard. Gloves can be a bad idea!
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Theknot.com was a wonderful resource, but the message board is HELL unless you're on your local chatboard.

Lol. That is why I never get how people say this board is "mean". It is sunshine and rainbows compared to some of those boards. I was blown away how nice everyone here is compared to there.
  • 3dogsrunning
    Options
    Theknot.com was a wonderful resource, but the message board is HELL unless you're on your local chatboard.

Lol. That is why I never get how people say this board is "mean". It is sunshine and rainbows compared to some of those boards. I was blown away how nice everyone here is compared to there.

Eta - and your dress is beautiful.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    I got mine on ebay for $70 it was brand new (but vintage) from a dress shop that went out of business. It was originally from Pricilla's of Boston (where Jackie O got her dress) and it is a gorgeous dress so while it was inexpensive it was still exquisitely made. I barely had to alter it. We didn't spend a lot of money on our wedding, but it was really sweet and perfect. Then we bought a house with all our savings :) Been together for 15 years and still think, short of eloping, our inexpensive wedding was one of the better decisions we've made. Good luck!
  • magj0y
    Options

Eta - and your dress is beautiful.

Did you hear about the law suit?? OMG, funniest. damned. thing. ever.

And the stalker bride? Who faked everything from actually being engaged, knocked up with twins and a "house" that her husband bought her which architecturally could not exist as she took pictures from various houses. What's funny is she stole prego belly pictures, and that's what got her busted. TheKnot brings a whole new level to trolling! OP; you've been warned!

Thank for the compliment on the dress. People shouldn't hesitate to check out small shops instead of chain stores like David's bridal. They're not always more expensive!
  • kafullam
    Options
    I got mine from David's Bridal...I loved it and had a great experience there. My consultant was amazing and very helpful. My bridemaid dresses were also from David's - with some living out of state, it made it very easy for everyone to get their dresses plus they were very affordable. My dress with the shoes, veil, tiara, slip and alterations came to $850. Good luck finding your dress!!! :-)
  • magj0y
    Options
    I got mine from David's Bridal...I loved it and had a great experience there. My consultant was amazing and very helpful. My bridemaid dresses were also from David's - with some living out of state, it made it very easy for everyone to get their dresses plus they were very affordable. My dress with the shoes, veil, tiara, slip and alterations came to $850. Good luck finding your dress!!! :-)

**Yes, David's bridal is the place to go if you have bridesmaids in other states or of various sizes. No one dress fits great on every figure!
  • Mamakatspokane
    Mamakatspokane Posts: 3,098 Member
    Options
    I bought mine a wedding outlet store in Sacramento for around $500.

Check Craigslist. There are hundreds for sale in my area that have never been worn!

Dress advice - try on lots of dresses, try on at least one dress that the consultant says would look good on you. The one's I liked looked okay, the dress the consultant picked I wouldn't have but I looked about 5 times smaller in it and I loved it and bought it.
  • cheliebean911
    Options
    I bought mine at a David's Bridal.... Still have it. Need to sell!
  • jaciofthedead
    Options
    I got a discontinued dress from Davids Bridal for $499
  • loveachallenge
    loveachallenge Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Alfred Angelo
  • xoyasminxo
    Options
    I got mine from a local boutique. I bought the sample because there wasn't enough time to order it. With sample discount mine was $1000. I had a friend who did my alterations as my wedding gift!