What time do YOU work out?

Options
What time(s) of the day do you work out, and what do you do? Is it working out well for you? I'm thinking about trying to work out in the early morning because I hate the crowded gym, and it doesn't die down until 7, and by then it doesn't really become a priority. Advice on working out earlier in the morning?

Replies

• runnninginmd
    Options
    I work out in the morning, which requires me to wake up at 4:30. Early, but worth it! I find that if I wait until the afternoon too many things get in the way. I usually have errands or recreational activities I want to do after work, and it can be difficult to find time to work out. Plus I feel great all day knowing that I've already accomplished so much. I sleep in a sports bra and my shirt, and I have my shoes, socks, and shorts laid out on the dresser and ready to go. It was a hard routine to get into at first but I've been doing it for years now.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Morning for me, and I'm an at-home exerciser. I have to get it done before the family is up and moving or it doesn't happen (other than running when it's cool, then I can head out whenever).

I get up at 5:15, all my workout clothes are out and ready to go. I put them in the front room so I can change in the front bathroom & not disturb my hubby. I do weights with Nike Training Club app at the moment in my living room, and 20 minutes of cardio, either a brisk walk or Kickbox FastFix after the weights, three day a week. The other days I run, just 2 miles before I take my kid to school on weekdays because it's all I have time for (until the weather cools and I can finally run later in the day without melting! :tongue:), and a longer run on Saturday.
  • Wabbit05
    Wabbit05 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Right after work, it's part of my routine now. Get off work at 5, get my kid, and head to the gym. They have daycare there for $10 a month. It's the perfect set up for me.
  • SocWkrBee
    Options
    I go after work. I stop home first and take the dogs for a walk. Then, I get dressed and head to the gym. I usually get there around 6:30PM and leave an hour later. I don't miss the time. My evenings used to be spent sitting at home and watching tv.

I enjoy my rest. I refuse to wake up at 4:30 in the morning just to workout. However, that could change if my cicumstancs change. Right now, I am single with no children.
  • MVY_
    MVY_ Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    After work...I use to do it the morning but now that I work first shift I do right away after work. Sometimes at home sometimes at school.
  • jacksonpt
    jacksonpt Posts: 10,413 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can. If I'm lifting it's usually in the morning. Cardio, whenever I have the time to. Works for me. If I didn't workout I'd probably kill someone.

Or just be more sarcastic.
  • elperrogigante
    Options
    off and running my daily 3 miles at 6 freaking 30 am or earlier. If I go to the gym I have to be up at 545am. sucks having a kid that needs to be at school by 730. both the wife and I are night owls so this has been a rough adjustment. :P
  • tacklethis
    Options
    11:00 am
  • DPernet
    DPernet Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Workout for 2 hours a day, 5 days a week but I work shifts, so it's anytime lol
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    After work, usually. It works out best because my mom and I get done work about the same time and head to the gym together before dinner.
  • xoTammyox
    xoTammyox Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I get up at 2:45 am so I'm working out by 3. If I'm not beat I'll work out some more when I get home at night at around 7 pm. It's working out OK. I've been doing this routine now for 6 weeks. It's not ideal but I don't have any other time.
  • MissyBenj
    MissyBenj Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Every time I get the chance for my runs, sometimes it's at 5am or sometimes it's at 7 or 8PM - Strength, I go on my lunch break.

If you want to do it, you'll find time for it - Full time job and 2 kids, I still make it happen 5 or 6 days a week.
  • Cheryl188
    Cheryl188 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Mornings are always better for me. Gets it out of the way for the day.
  • kaytaydeb
    kaytaydeb Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I get to the rec between 8:30 and 9:30 pm, most nights I have practice (color guard for marching band) and meetings for various groups, so I don't get there till later. On cardio days, it's usually between 7:30 and 8:30 pm during the week then during the afternoon on weekends.
  • rmarley05
    rmarley05 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Late at night! I want to break that habit, but getting up early sucks enough, not to mention trying to work out that early lol!! I homeschool our kiddos so during the day it isn't easy either so I just wait til they are all in bed and I hit the treadmill! Wanting to start adding in some weights soon!!
  • sarahisme18
    sarahisme18 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    I'm really bad at working out in the morning—I'm just so lethargic at that point, I can barely push myself to get my heart rate up. So, I go after work—if I want to get it out of the way, I'll pack my clothes and go straight to the gym from work. That seems to work pretty well, but my gym isn't that crowded :)

In the mornings, I do try to do a few yoga stretches to wake myself up, and then I also try to do the fitness command of the day from Blogilates.com. That way I do a little something and get myself in the right frame of mind for the rest of the day—I find it's easier to look forward to working out if I do that!
  • mom2handh1975
    mom2handh1975 Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Whenever I can. I'm a substitute teacher, so I can't plan too far ahead. I figure as long as I get a workout in, it doesn't really matter what time it happens. :happy:
  • al369
    al369 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    After work. Like a previous poster, I pick my kid up after I get off at 5 then drop her off in the gym childcare. Mornings aren't an option as the gym doesn't have childcare before 9 am. I like working out in the early evenings though; I actually have a lot of energy at that time of day.
  • shelleyspots
    Options
    First thing in the morning is best for me. I like to get out and walk my dog and then head to the gym to do laps, or jog on the track or use the cardio equipment. That way I can get my shower, get on with my day. If I don't put it first, it doesn't get done. Sometimes I can add an evening walk with my dog which is a nice bonus.
  • olerolls
    olerolls Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I just started a 5:30 AM boot camp class this week. I get up at 5, wash my face, pull back my hair, put on my clothes (that I set out the night before) and am out the door at 5:15.

The first day sucked, I'll be honest. The second day was a bit easier. Today, the third day, I was actually awake before the alarm. The class is brutally hard, but fun at the same time and I was looking forward to it today. I'm back at the house by 6:45 and have about 30 mins of quiet time to myself before my son and husband get up. That's a nice reward.

I find that I am just too low on energy after work to reliably get myself to exercise, plus schedule conflicts can come up. There are literally no excuses or schedule conflicts at 5:30 in the morning.

It's only been a few days, but rather than feeling tired from getting up early, I'm feeling energized from the exercise. I'm liking early morning workouts more than I expected to. I'd recommend to committing to try early mornings for two or three weeks and I bet you'll be surprised and actually like it.