Daycare??

Options

Replies

• AmyFett
    AmyFett Posts: 1,607 Member
    Options
    I know it will never be up to my standards, but what is a nice way to adress the issue?

Take her to a place that is up for your standards.

I agree. I would NEVER EVER EVER settle when it comes to my children! If I don't like the daycare for ANY reason, they'll know it, and I'll look somewhere else. I'm soooo lucky and thankful I'm a stay at home mommy, I'm too picky with my kids. I don't trust people in general, especially to raise my children.
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Ditto!!!!!! Im a SAHM but I would never take my kiddos to a dirty one. I would rather start my own than do so! That just leads your child to get sick more often and neglect. If the floors are dirty than your baby is going to be too!
    Sounds like a business opportunity
  • melissafaith24
    melissafaith24 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    did you look them up for any violations first? that place sounds ridiculous (according to your description) to be a daycare :noway:

when i had to put my daughter in one, i thoroughly checked them out. if i had ANY reservations about the place or its staff, id put a hold on the job opportunity until I found a place I felt comfortable with. our children are with these people for 8+ hours of our day...more waking hours than they are with us. thankfully mine is in a place where i dont have a worry in the world. they are clean, the staff just adores my daughter and she them. good luck with your job and i hope you dont end up with regrets :ohwell:
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    When it comes to your children spend the money for a good safe clean place. If you feel like you got the heebeegeebees from being there for 10 minutes don't put your child there for 9 hours.
  • roachhaley
    roachhaley Posts: 978 Member
    Options
    Hire a private babysitter? I'm sure there's a teenager somewhere that would like to do it.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    There is only one other daycare in this town, and it's REALLY gross, (in home daycare) and the one 7 miles away has no opening at this time. I live in a town with 130 people, closet other towns have maybe 600 people, slim to No options around here.

I would move.
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    Plus I would call the state to do a check up on the daycare. It is obviously needing a review.
  • futuresize8
    futuresize8 Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    Your house is up to snuff...any responsible providers that would come to your place to babysit?
  • EmilyT85
    Options
    If this is truly your only option and you don't have an opportunity to relocated, maybe suggest to some other parents that you guys request a work day at the daycare. All of the moms and dads can get together to fix things, plant new flowers, deep clean, etc. (A lot of churches hold quarterly work days, that's sort of what I'm thinking of.) This way, the owners will think your intentions are to bless the business. You can even ask the lady for a list of things that need to be done... and do some things high on your list, too.
  • HotAshMess
    HotAshMess Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    There are things I couldn't deal with....clothes and food on the floor is one of them. Pet hair, toys everywhere...that I could deal with. Have you considered putting a posting for a babysitter online or at the nearest grocery store (sometimes they have boards)? Maybe there is a stay at home mom who could use some extra income or some students in your area? You could check them out....have them in your home or take your daughter to theirs and things might be different.
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Personally i think you are being a bit paranoid.

I don't think your children are going to contract any crazy diseases, especially if a certain daycare

has a reputation, and no one has made complaints.

I don't really see too many options other than to deal with it.

I probably am, but I still think the place could be cleaned up better than it is and at least shampoo the carpets. I can't really be the only parent who worries about this stuff. To my suprise a few people I have talked to about the daycare, notice it's not the cleanest place, but haven't said anything.

Dont get me wrong, i am glad you are very concerned with your child's hygiene.

In all honesty though my childhood was spent rolling around in dirt and mud and throwing rocks at my neighbor

in a dirty driveway (yes we actually did that and it was fun).

We didn't die.

The way you paint the situation is, that you have zero other options. You won't be able to make the daycare pay

for what it would call unnecessary costs, it will laugh at you. The other parents wouldnt want anything done because

they want to go to work. So unless you drive your kids to a different neighborhood, (town etc) you don't have

many options.
  • sarahharmintx
    sarahharmintx Posts: 868 Member
    Options
    Does the daycare have any complaints logged against them? Do they pass all their inspections? Look into that.
  • BamaBreezeNSaltAire
    Options
    Run, do not walk, but RUN away. Been there found it out and ran like hell. I didn't have a choice at the time either but found a way around it. I will NEVER allow that again. I drove 25 miles out of my way to make sure my son was in a better place. Seek your church, hire a nanny, take her to the next town. She is THE MOST important thing.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Plus I would call the state to do a check up on the daycare. It is obviously needing a review.

Most in-home daycares aren't licensed. In my state, an in-home provider can have 6 children (non-relative) before having to have a license. Therefore, there are no checks or balances for this type of thing.

There has got to be some SAHM that would like to make a little extra money. Seriously - put the word out! I'm sure you can find someone else. I live in a very, very small town too, and I know of several moms who would be glad for the extra cash in exchange for watching one kid. Especially since you will have pretty regular hours working for a bank.

I would not take my daughter somewhere that I wasn't comfortable with (even if the other kids seemed happy).
  • magj0y
    magj0y Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    Are the kids at this daycare happy and well taken care of? That's what you should be focused on.

^^ and you may have just caught them on a bad day, bad time of day/week.
    I've worked in daycares, it's completely unrealistic to expect a stellar floor. kids drop food. It's a fact of live and carpets will get stained.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Stains on the carpet don't necessarily mean dirty. I would ask how often the place is surface cleaned, and how often it gets bleach cleaned.

Are there any church affiliated daycares in the area?

I live in MD, and there's a website that I used to look for daycares in my area and what code citations they've received.

Also, I know this isn't what you want to hear but your baby will only be in daycare about 50% of the time for the first six months. That's the time that they pick up every little germ. I've got two little girls and it was frustrating to look at the bill every month AND think about how much time I was missing from work when they were too sick to go in.
  • samf36
    samf36 Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    If your provider is licensed I would look up the licensing standards for your state and the if you think there are violations discuss them with your provider. You may be seeing crumbs on the floor from kids having snack or a meal? She may able to explain it too you.
  • bowins
    Options
    One of my favorite sayings "Don't ***** about anything you're not willing to change." Consider cleaning the daycare yourself. Maybe they'll give you a discount. Good luck.
  • Sanduh36
    Sanduh36 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I agree with the poster above about it'll help her immunity. Once my son (who is now 22 months) started crawling he did get sick more often but it only lasted 6 months or so and now he's been cold free for almost a year. I have him in a nannyshare and we live in a big city (Denver) so we had options. Can you see if there is a nanny in town that could watch your daughter?

This. My kids have immune systems of steel! :)
  • mistigoodwin
    mistigoodwin Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite sayings "Don't ***** about anything you're not willing to change." Consider cleaning the daycare yourself. Maybe they'll give you a discount. Good luck.

Not *****ing, and I would clean it! I just don't know how to offer w/o her thinking I am being a picky stuck up snob about it.