wedding dress disaster

Options

Replies

• sobriquet84
    sobriquet84 Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    seriously, if money is the problem, just get a beautiful vintage $50 white dress from etsy or something. one that is actually sewn together.
  • ashlbubba
    ashlbubba Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I have an idea where you can use the fabric !!

Maybe you could take the large pieces of the skirt/train head over to your local fabric store (joann's maybe) and pick out a nice pattern you like for a smaller dress- like a cocktail dress or something.. that you could wear to your rehearsal dinner, bridesmaid's tea, bridal shower, or even as your going away dress for your honeymoon.

Then you'll have a pattern to use- it'll be way easier on you than a full gown with no instructions and you can still have a pretty dress you made yourself!

Good luck!
  • Fit_Vixen
    Options
    Duct Tape, works wonders.
  • ellyloo
    Options
    if you have a local sewing machine store that offers classes etc, you could go there and maybe they can help...
    There might be a fee for the persons time, but it's worth a try to ask!
    If not, maybe they rent sewing machine time. (do they do that?) Or a class. I took a sewing class once, it wasn't terribly expensive. That way, if your bag of dress doesn't work out, you have a new skill, and can make some fun stuff anyhow.
    You could always ask a seamstress/alterer how much it would cost. you never know, it might be terribly simple and not expensive. Perhaps your MIL will foot the bill.

Otherwise, I think that, if the top is assembled, and the bottom is assembled, the trick is to find which is the front and the back of each piece. Turn them both inside out and pin them together about an inch from the edge.

That's all I got. From there, you need to know how to use the machine to sew it together. Or how to do it by hand if there are a lot of details.

It wasn't that much money, it was a nice gift, and a kind thought. Don't stress too much about it if you can't do it. Something will come up that's just right for you. You could always use the fabric later for other matching projects, like a wedding album cover or a little purse (you know the kind that ties up and is a little bag? or some nice throw pillow covers. That way MIL will always see them.
  • Stitchntime
    Options
    Ok, I'm sure this advice is the same that everyone else has said already, but here I go anyway...
    I have been sewing for 10 years. I have been through classes to learn how to draft my own designs. I have sewn many things, from simple curtains to tight-fitting corsets and elaborate costumes. Just this year I made my own wedding gown. My TENTH year of sewing. Having made it myself, it did add a very special touch to the day. The people on here who've said this is not the project to learn to sew on... they're right! This took months. You know that saying "blood, sweat and tears"? Well, blood, sweat and tears went into making my gown, literally. The blood was minimal, just sewing pin pokes but I ruined a button lol. The sweat? It was hot in my sewing room! But seriously, I had a lot of frustrating times, in which I cried, partly because I felt stupid for thinking I was ready to take on such a project! I spent $450 on fabric and notions, so there was no turning back.
    My advice, this was $7. This amount is not worth the stress! Somebody else suggested using the fabric for napkins or something. What about the ring pillow? That's a project that can help you get started if you really want to learn to sew. I'm sure your future MIL will understand. Maybe you can add your own touch by designing your gown and having someone with experience of this nature create it for you? Planning a wedding is stressful in itself, without having the mission to make your gown. The less stress, the more enjoyable the planning process will be. :smile:
  • Stevie0018
    Stevie0018 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    lol ppl can be so mean (MFP smartasses)

My advice:
    1)If you've never sewn, don't start with your wedding dress. Getting married is SO stressful. You don't want to add to the mix by getting frustrated with the dress everyone is going to see you in.
    2) If you did decide to sew this yourself or have a seamstress do it, it would probably (most gaurantee) will cost you the same if not more then if you were to just BUY a dress.
    3) You can find affordable wedding dresses online (don't do Ebay, google 'affordable wedding dresses' & see what comes up. I've found GORGOUS dresses for under $100). If you go this route make sure you order in time for the big day & take your measurments correctly. If you don't trust online look for local private buisnesses. That's how I found my dress for $140. There's always David's Bridal, they are pretty affordable too.
    3) As for your mother-in-law to be, you have 2 options. You can lie. Tell her all the parts weren't in the bag or that you it took to a steamstress for help & it was too expensive. Or you can tell her the truth and tell her you don't mean to hurt her feelings but would love for her to go with you to find a dress. Either way if she is a real sensitive woman she will probably be a little hurt so I suggest honesty is always best.

Good luck & Congrats! (p.s. I'm getting married in 3 weeks so I understand the pressure)
  • untouchable86
    Options
    thank you everyone who have taken up for me i truly appreciate it, as for you who continue to leave rude marks well "take your own words and shove them!!" i will no longer post anything on here .. thinking about deleting my profile! this is suppose to be a site for people to inspire others, to encourage them, and help motivate them to reach their goals.. i realize its for weight loss and thats why im on this site.. but there is a forum for "chit chat and fun" which is why i posted it there. its not a damn bulling site... and to those who actually cared.. no there was no instruction, yes i love the fabric is beautiful.. i will figure it out my self tho.. and to the lady that said if the dress doesnt work out i can always make it a **** tail dress.. that is an excellent idea! thank you
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    Oh God, this is a disaster waiting to happen...Is your MIL a sadist, does she want you to look a hot mess on your wedding day? Tell her you tried and ditch the random bag of fabric! This is your special day, do you want to look like a 10 year old's Home Economics class project? Best of luck
  • LolasEpicJourney
    LolasEpicJourney Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Okay, master of the obvious comment...wedding dresses are really complicated. Really really complicated. So your best bet is to find a seamstress/tailor to help you out. Maybe call a dry cleaner or bridal store for referrals (depending on the size of town you live in). This being said, it could get pricey (do you even know what size the dress is?). It could quite possibly be cheaper to purchase a ready made gown.

This.

Good for you for wanting to make your own dress. Wedding dresses can be very complicated and some seamstresses wont even go near them (my mother for instance)
    Its hard to give advice over the internet for sure. I only read down through the first page of this thread so I appologize if Im not much help.
    Do you have any friends that know how to sew? Maybe they could look at it and help you piece it together. When I have a sewing problem I take it to my mother for help
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I really hope you either take classes and learn to sew so your project will turn out great or hire a professional to complete it for you.
    Fabric has SOOO many uses-if the idea of doing the dress is out of reach now or if it is in the wrong size, a cocktail dress or blouse would be really pretty. Even a nice simple tank top made of silk to wear to dinner or work would be super cute.
    If you are afraid your future MIL will be hurt you didn't use the fabric, cut strips of it and have your bouquet wrapped in it. Use it to make a headband, line the tulle of your veil with it, even cut out your new initials and sew it into the underside of your dress with it. Another cool idea would be to actually make SILK flowers out of it for your bouquet, booteniers for your hubby, corsage for MIL, etc.
    Save the fabric to sew the trim of a baby blanket when you have your first baby. Possibilities are endless for the fabric:-)
  • ValerieMartini2Olives
    Options
    It's $7 worth of fabric....

Take it to a shop and spend at least a hundo getting it sewn together, or just toss it. It's $7.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    Wow, I am bit disgusted at the comments some of you guys made, just ugly. Did she ask you for your opinion or nasty comments??? No, she was asking for help! So if you are not here to help than take your comments and ugly attitude somewhere else! The OP clearly doesn't know what process goes into sewing, and you can not hold it against her, geeze! Give her some god damn credit, she wants to do something none of you dare to do, these sort of nasty comments are just completely unnecessary.

Ah, I love the, "you don't know what it's like/none of you dare to do this/etc." comments.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    thank you everyone who have taken up for me i truly appreciate it, as for you who continue to leave rude marks well "take your own words and shove them!!" i will no longer post anything on here .. thinking about deleting my profile! this is suppose to be a site for people to inspire others, to encourage them, and help motivate them to reach their goals.. i realize its for weight loss and thats why im on this site.. but there is a forum for "chit chat and fun" which is why i posted it there. its not a damn bulling site... and to those who actually cared.. no there was no instruction, yes i love the fabric is beautiful.. i will figure it out my self tho.. and to the lady that said if the dress doesnt work out i can always make it a **** tail dress.. that is an excellent idea! thank you

"Thinking about deleting my profile," lol good god, why do I even come on the "Chit-Chat" forum.
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    Thats not a easy task... Now if you wanted help sewing bellydance pantaloons, a pillow, or a basic purse.... Thats something different. And I could kina help with that...

Sewing a wedding dress is no task for you if you have not sewn before. Did the soon to be mother in law know that you can't sew? Does she know how to sew? Its not a easy task for people who have months or sometimes years of experience either. I would have saved the $ and used it for a basic $100 dress instead. Or just a really pretty white dress. Maybe your mother in-law just didn't know this, and was trying to be nice by buying this. Or maybe shes being cheap. Not sure..

Good luck to you...
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I am an experienced seamstress and have made many clothing items including complicated and detailed things like a Renaissance gown. However, when it came to my wedding dress, which I purchased for $100 at a JCP Rack, I sought the help of a professional seamstress (in fact she was my sewing teacher) for the few alterations the dress required. It is far easier to make a garment from scratch with the pattern, than to alter an already made garment. I would definitely seek some professional assistance with this, and if you still want to proceed on your own, yes a quality sewing machine will be needed as well as good hand-sewing skills. With no idea what you actually have to work with (ie, type of fabric, is it lined, beaded, zippered, lace up bodice, etc) that is about as much help as I can offer. Even with the experience I have, I would not tackle "slippery" fabrics like satin nor delicate fabrics like tulle or lace on my own. Best of luck to you!
  • JustLindaLou
    JustLindaLou Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I really hope you either take classes and learn to sew so your project will turn out great or hire a professional to complete it for you.
    Fabric has SOOO many uses-if the idea of doing the dress is out of reach now or if it is in the wrong size, a cocktail dress or blouse would be really pretty. Even a nice simple tank top made of silk to wear to dinner or work would be super cute.
    If you are afraid your future MIL will be hurt you didn't use the fabric, cut strips of it and have your bouquet wrapped in it. Use it to make a headband, line the tulle of your veil with it, even cut out your new initials and sew it into the underside of your dress with it. Another cool idea would be to actually make SILK flowers out of it for your bouquet, booteniers for your hubby, corsage for MIL, etc.
    Save the fabric to sew the trim of a baby blanket when you have your first baby. Possibilities are endless for the fabric:-)

These are all wonderful ideas that may have more sentimental value in the long run!!
  • cngeike
    cngeike Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Oh what a hott mess this is. :( I can sew a little and would never try sewing a wedding dress, My mom has sewn for 50 years and she has made Quenceiera(spelling) dresses and wedding dress, first communion dresses, you name it dress she made it. LOL They are beautiful, but a lot of time and work.
    I would just take the fabric and make a couple pillow cases, or a blanket, or something like that. I would not want to chance making my wedding dress with bits and pieces of fabric.

Good luck
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Duct-Tape-Dress-Form.jpg

Men! lol.. duct tape can't fix everything...lol

This is actually one legit way to create a dressform. Really.
  • spynoodle
    Options
    I see a real Molly Ringwald Pretty in Pink opportunity here!!! Just take the fabric and build your own dress?
    Worst case scenario...you blew $7.
  • GretchenReine
    GretchenReine Posts: 1,427 Member
    Options
    looking for advice from someone thats has made there own wedding dress! wasnt looking for smart *kitten* comments!!!! and actually my soon to be mother in law bought it for me.

Put it back in the bag...hand it to your soon to be MIL...and tell her to make your d@mn dress for you! WTF?! Was this her way of being helpful? How exactly are you supposed to know if that's the dress for you? I'm fairly certain that being handed a bag of scrap material is not what most brides-to-be think of when planning their wedding dress shopping.