Worldwide bacon shortage...

Options
2»

Replies

• MikesterAZ
    MikesterAZ Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    nooo...not a bacon shortage..how am I supposed to eat my salad ?!

<3
  • WeekndOVOXO
    WeekndOVOXO Posts: 779 Member
    Options
    Blame this guy:

Epic_Meal_Time_boss_burger.jpg

And this guy:

bacon-burger-japan-2.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1334753033964
  • Aurorakitty
    Options
    Blame this guy:

Epic_Meal_Time_boss_burger.jpg

And this guy:

bacon-burger-japan-2.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1334753033964

oh wow. It doesn't really matter to me if bacon goes up since I don't have it all that often but I'm hoping other pork products don't go up too cause I don't eat beef and getting sick of chicken all the time.
  • Jbearbarnes
    Jbearbarnes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Save the Bacon!!!
  • Jbearbarnes
    Jbearbarnes Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    See, I don't get it. I was raised on a farm and know the ebbs and flows of meat markets. The farmers/ranchers held off on selling their stock - pigs, cattle, chicken, but mostly pigs and cattle - in anticipation of the government helping them out with this drought situation. Well, Congress went on vacation without passing anything substantial to help out the farmers/ranchers, so they should be unloading their animals right now. This would mean that the price of animals would be less because of the excess number of animals being sold. This translates into a lot of meat being available and, therefore, lower meat prices.

Sometime around February or March, the price of meat would then go up. This is because there will be less animals being sold, having been sold earlier because of lack of feed. This should continue until the following fall or winter. Why? If the farmers/ranchers kept their cows and bred them, they will drop their calves sometime in the late spring/early summer of next year. It takes approximately nine months for a calf to be ready for slaughter. One thing that may put a cinch in all this is that the farmers/ranchers may have had to sell off their cows. This means that they will need to buy cows and, if they are not already bred, they will have to breed them. Which places the possibility of beef prices remaining high until early into 2014.

Now, hog prices should go down sooner than cattle prices, unless the farmers/ranchers had to sell their sows, in which case they will have to purchase sows, bred or unbred. Hogs have a shorter gestation period than cows and acheive marketable size sooner, so I would expect to see pork prices to go down sooner.

As for chickens, the drought should not have affected them all that much as they don't eat quite as much as cattle and pigs. This may mean that poultry prices will not see such an extreme elevation as with pork and beef. This would be my same summation with eggs.

Of course, when you add in Cargill, Monsanto, and Archer-Daniels manipulating the market in order to turn a massive profit, anything goes these days. I just don't get this bacon being so high priced because hogs are raised in stock barns and sold and slaughtered in large numbers at a time, so this just baffles me.

I am not that fond of bacon. Too salty and greasy for me. So this will not affect me that much. I eat mostly chicken and fish with the occasional steak.
    Maybe blame the Muslims? They don't serve pork in public schools in many European countries because of the Muslims, and they have also removed pigs from the children's curriculum on farming so as not to offend them!
  • davidlbass
    davidlbass Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Are you all aware that there is a worldwide bacon shortage??? They are projecting skyrocketing prices of bacon!! Empty shelves in the grocery store where the bacon should be!! Depressing news. It's a good thing I got in on this before that happens:

2012-09-26_19-40-10_830_zps84f4723b.jpg

Yes, that is, in fact, candied bacon-topped pie. Do you have any bacon love pics to share?? :love:

The Mayans are right. The world is coming to an end!
  • BIRT1956
    BIRT1956 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Just read an article that said the bacon shortage was a hoax.

And I just bought some pigs!! LOL
  • sarahsummers12
    sarahsummers12 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    My god - that must be an american thing - because the though of any kind of candied bacon pie just turns my stomach!!! lol How odd!! Though I will admit a favourite of mine is bacon and banana - a bacon, banana and cheese toasted sandwich ROCKS!!
  • chicadejmu
    chicadejmu Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Save the Bacon!!!

I second that! Don't take my bacon away!
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    The price of it 'should' go down because of a glut in the market with farmers 'dumping' pigs, but it won't because people are hoarding bacon because of the 'future' shortage. The price shouldn't even go up until the hogs are fed corn from this years crop, which has been pretty much a bust with the massive drought here in the midwest. I have friends who normally get over 100 bushels of corn per acre and some got 0 in the sandier areas. Even irrigated corn didn't do well because the temps were in the 100's for several days and it killed the pollen needed to pollenate the corn. The following year's corn crop will cost 100 x's more because SEED corn, which is grown as seed to grow regular feed corn, also grew poorly.
    I think it's a shame that the price for bacon has already doubled in some places.
    I'd be prepared to expect the price of ANY grain fed meat, eggs, cheese, etc. to be very expensive the next several years.
    I have raised my own cattle and hogs, but it costs more to do that than to buy it in bulk on sale at the grocery store. Oh well. I'll find a way to get my meat and I know I'll pay more for it.

I feel more sorry for the 3rd world countries that rely on our abundant crops to survive. :(
  • jillica
    jillica Posts: 554 Member
    Options
    It is the APOCALYPSE! It had to be one or the OTHER!!!!
    99243690731339609279.jpeg