Stupide Question: How to Like Veggies?

Options
So I am committed to trying a new veggie every week (a SERIOUS downfall of mine).

The problem is I know I won't like them plain. I was going to get the steamfresh stuff so it is quick but I was wondering what I can put on them or how to make them more appealing.

I have green beans and snap peas coming up as examples. I should really give broccoli another try. Etc.

Suggestions?

EDIT: And of course the kitten helped me type so I have an "e" on stupid...*sigh*

Replies

• emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Green Giant Simply Steam veggies come pre-portioned and pre-seasoned... that may be something for you to look into :)
  • alicebud
    alicebud Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Zesty Italian dressing to season green beans.

Lemon juice and smart balance (butter) for brocolli

Mix the snap peas with carrot pieces or kernel corn and the carrots/corn add flavor that the peas don't really have

Also, experiment with relish, salsa
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Try them raw, steamed, roasted, grilled, etc. Trying them ONCE ... does not indicate you will never like them.

Steamfresh are great (for some things) ..... BUT freezing veggies changes the texture. Frozen peppers, carrots, & celery ... blech .... and I like veggies!

There is no ONE exact recipe that will make you like veggies. It's a lifestyle change.

Veggies roasted (cauliflower) with a bit of olive oil & garlic .... yum. Grilled veggies; I like asparagus with sesame oil & soy sauce. I love snap peas ....raw.

Just keep plugging away......
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    Is is texture you don't like? Or taste?

I used to think I hated veggies, but over time I started trying different ways to cook them, season them, etc. I also tried lots of different things. If it's texture, then you can try eating them raw or steamed or roasted, etc. If it's taste, then you can try them with various dips, sauces, even puree or add them to soups/casseroles. Variety is everything, as well as trying to get things in season when the flavor is at a peak.

Good luck!
  • spacecase76
    spacecase76 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    some of the steam fresh ones come pre-seasoned. I really love the asian veggies. Jody really likes the broccoli w/ cheese sauce and the broccoli / cauliflower w/ cheese sauce. I usually prefer veggies lightly steamed with salt, but, I realize that I am in the minority with that.

Treat yourself like a baby... try one new thing for a few days in a row, perhaps different ways, and learn to like it :flowerforyou:
  • PeaceCorpsKat
    PeaceCorpsKat Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Sometimes veggies are hard because they have very strong flavors and if you are not used to them it hard to eat. Just keep getting them down, you will come to love the flavor over time.
  • postrockandcats
    postrockandcats Posts: 1,145 Member
    Options
    I like raw veggies a lot.

I will also roast things like Broccoli and Cauliflower and Brussels Sprouts. I need texture and flavor! :)
  • HallerFitness
    Options
    Toss them with olive oil and herbs and roast them for 40 minutes. If you haven't done that with brussel sprouts, you don't know what you're missing!!
  • MB_Positif
    MB_Positif Posts: 8,897 Member
    Options
    I didn't read any other responses, BUT the yummiest thing you can do with broccoli is toss it in a bit of olive oil, garlic, salt & pepper, then roast it at 450 degrees until it starts to brown a little. Awesome. In fact, most vegetables are awesome when roasted with the same ingredients above.
  • LovePBandJ
    LovePBandJ Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Try baking your veggies. Broccoli and cauliflower are amazing baked at about 400 with a little EVOO, sea salt, and garlic. Bake them until they start to brown on the edges. Can take a long time, easily upwards of 30 mins.

Do the same with Kale, only bake the Kale for only about 10, until crispy like a potato chip.
  • sgaranzuay
    sgaranzuay Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Salsa is YOUR FRIEND! Low in calories, high in flavor! I eat cauliflower and broccoli raw, with a good dose of salsa for dipping. Also, Edamame is quite good - and lots of soy protein to boot!

Good luck!

- Seve
  • HallerFitness
    Options
    douse asparagus with olive oil and pepper and fold them in tin foil and grill them. AMAZING!!
  • AnneC77
    AnneC77 Posts: 284
    Options
    I sometimes add tomato sauce to my veggies, Neapolitan I think it is called. The same stuff you put on pasta, it is yummy and healthy especially as I add no oil to mine.
  • pithole
    pithole Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I suggest trying veggies raw first. When you cook them people tend to make them unhealthy with "seasoning" or rob them of their nutrients in the microwave.

I started my diet with only ever eating potatoes and corn. Now there isn't a veggie I don't like.

I would like to suggest you DO give broccoli another try. A cup of raw broccoli is a great snack. It'll take you at least 15 minutes to eat, is super healthy, and is about 20 calories.
  • Charlie003
    Charlie003 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Drowned in gravy and covered with bacon.
  • bizorra
    bizorra Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Roasting with balsamic vinegar. Yummmmm!
    Or grilled on the bbq!
    And a little bit of butter or oil can go a long way when learning to love veggies. Don't drown them, just a bit.

I want to commend you for committing to trying new things! And remember that how its prepared is just as important in liking something as the thing itself. I find steamed/boiled brussel sprouts nasty, but roasted to bring out the natural sweetness they are DIVINE.
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    How do you know you won't like them plain? Veggies vary so much it's impossible to say without trying.

Try asparagus wrapped in parma ham and/or griddled and dipped in the yolk of a boiled or poached egg.

Make pea soup with some Thai curry paste in it.

Brussels are great served with chestnuts.

Maybe add a low fat cheese sauce to the broccoli, top with a little breadcrumb and bake.

Spinach, mushrooms and courgettes are fab in a vegetable lasagne.

Roasted aubergine is fab with a bit of crumbled feta and a toasted flatbread.
  • daisiemae123
    daisiemae123 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I am finding that I love all vegetables roasted right now. Drizzle with just a little olive oil and experiment with the seasonings. I use lots of garlic and a little salt and pepper. Bake at 450 until tender. Even my husband that is not a big veggie eater is liking them this way.
    I am also a fan of the Green Giant veggies that are pre-seasoned. All you can do really is experiment with different veggies and recipes.
  • 76tech
    76tech Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    Green beans are excellent tossed with some soy sauce. Here's how I make them:

Rise and dry them very well. Saute in a dry pan, or a bit of oil/butter if you like. Right before they're done, toss in a bit of soy sauce.
    If steaming is easier, just steam then toss in a hot pan with the soy.

Broccoli? I love roasted broccoli. I don't follow the recipes, just the method. Soy usually goes on that too. A bit of hot sauce helps everything if you are so inclined.
  • StarLeopard
    StarLeopard Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I agree with the sauce ideas but I would use real butter also. You probably don't want to hear this and I may be out of order here, but you probably won't really learn to appreciate vegetables until you cut way back on sugar. At least that's me.